What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth hurts, but it's true, Democrat state governors are implementing radical solutions bound to fail.

political-pictures-california-sign-reading-tax.jpg

You are lying again.

Notice that when I point out that Merc is lying, he just moves on to a new "serious charge."

I pointed that out with the sigline charge and then when he asserted that I said something that he later realized that busybody said...

It's in this thread.

;) ;)

I called you on only using full compensation packages when looking at public sector jobs, while comparing nothing like that for private sector jobs. How much longer do we have to wait before you do the logical thing and consider private sector full packages and not just base salary?

Yes here we are keeping a failed company going that's the American way.
Fuck them let them go out business Kia are some other company take there place.
Kia, Toyota, BMW ect all make cars and trucks here.

That's right, and it was the right thing to do. Other countries aid their industry during hard times. If we don't do the same then American companies will eventually become a scarcity on the global stage. Our market share will vanish and we'll become poorer relative to other nations. Would you have favored letting all our big banks fold during the recession? Because there are a ton of Chinese lenders willing to set up shop within our borders in their place. And since the Chinese government backs and owns most of their banking industry, you can be sure they'd be here to stay.

And LOL, no it's not just as good if Toyota runs a few plants here. Those are factory jobs but your policy just cost us our tech jobs, engineering jobs, and our high-paying corporate jobs. And you just put the fate of our economy into the hands of foreign nations.

I understand that you favor pure economic Darwinism, but in 2012 it just doesn't work like you want it to. Not even close.

Last edited:
I called you on only using full compensation packages when looking at public sector jobs, while comparing nothing like that for private sector jobs. How much longer do we have to wait before you do the logical thing and consider private sector full packages and not just base salary?

So you were lying about me editing you.

This is becoming a pattern.

That's right, and it was the right thing to do. Other countries aid their industry during hard times. If we don't do the same then American companies will eventually become a scarcity on the global stage. Our market share will vanish and we'll become poorer relative to other nations. Would you have favored letting all our big banks fold during the recession? Because there are a ton of Chinese lenders willing to set up shop within our borders in their place. And since the Chinese government backs and owns most of their banking industry, you can be sure they'd be here to stay.

And LOL, no it's not just as good if Toyota runs a few plants here. Those are factory jobs but your policy just cost us our tech jobs, engineering jobs, and our high-paying corporate jobs. And you just put the fate of our economy into the hands of foreign nations.

I understand that you favor pure economic Darwinism, but in 2012 it just doesn't work like you want it to. Not even close.

When we protect ours, they protect theirs. Tariffs and protectionism are more harmful to the economy than businesses being unable to compete.

I would recommend Bastiat's Sophisms of the Protectionists, but it would be a total waste of time; your interest is in petty politics, not economics.

It's amazing how often I run across people I admire who followed the same ideological path as I did...

Milton Friedman’s Centenary
Thomas Sowell, NRO
July 31, 2012

If Milton Friedman were alive today — and there has never been a time when he was more needed — he would be 100 years old. He was born on July 31, 1912. But Professor Friedman’s death at age 94 deprived the nation of one of those rare thinkers who had both genius and common sense. Most people would not be able to understand the complex economic analysis that won him a Nobel Prize, but people with no knowledge of economics had no trouble understanding his popular books like Free to Choose or the TV series of the same name.

In being able to express himself at both the highest level of his profession and also at a level that the average person could readily understand, Milton Friedman was like the economist whose theories and persona were most different from his own — John Maynard Keynes.

Like many, if not most, people who became prominent as opponents of the Left, Professor Friedman began on the Left. Decades later, looking back at a statement of his own from his early years, he said: “The most striking feature of this statement is how thoroughly Keynesian it is.”

No one converted Milton Friedman, either in economics or in his views on social policy. His own research, analysis, and experience converted him.

As a professor, he did not attempt to convert students to his political views. I made no secret of the fact that I was a Marxist when I was a student in Professor Friedman’s course, but he made no effort to change my views. He once said that anybody who was easily converted was not worth converting.

I was still a Marxist after taking Professor Friedman’s class. Working as an economist in the government converted me.

Milton Friedman is best known for his opposition to Keynesian economics, which had largely swept the economics profession on both sides of the Atlantic, with the notable exception of the University of Chicago, where Friedman was trained as a student and later taught.

In the heyday of Keynesian economics, many economists believed that inflationary government policies could reduce unemployment, and early empirical data seemed to support that view. The inference was that the government could make careful trade-offs between inflation and unemployment, and thus “fine tune” the economy.

Milton Friedman challenged this view with both facts and analysis. He showed that the relationship between inflation and unemployment held only in the short run, when the inflation was unexpected. But, after everyone got used to inflation, unemployment could be just as high with high inflation as it had been with low.

When both unemployment and inflation rose at the same time in the 1970s — “stagflation,” as it was called — the idea of the government “fine tuning” the economy faded away. There are still some die-hard Keynesians today who keep insisting that the government’s “stimulus” spending would have worked if only it had been bigger and lasted longer.

This is one of those heads-I-win-and-tails-you-lose arguments. Even if the government spends itself into bankruptcy and the economy still does not recover, Keynesians can always say that it would have worked if only the government had spent more.

Trickle-up Recession...

The top .1%ers are beyond stagnant now and well on their way to depression...

GENEVA — Swiss banking giant UBS AG posted a worse-than-expected 58 percent fall in second-quarter net profits of 425 million francs ($434.16 million) Tuesday, due to losses from the Facebook stock listing and a downturn at its investment banking division.

Switzerland’s largest bank said the 58 percent net profit drop, compared to a 1.02 billion Swiss franc ($1.2 billion) profit it posted in the same quarter last year ago reflects “challenging conditions marked by increased volatility and greater client caution.” The bank missed analysts’ estimates for more than 1 billion francs in profit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-profit-drop/2012/07/31/gJQAzohzLX_story.html

(Reuters) - Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) said it will slash 1,900 jobs in an effort to achieve cost savings of about 3 billion euros ($3.67 billion) as part of a broader strategic overhaul unveiled by the bank's new chiefs on Tuesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/31/us-deutschebank-savings-jobs-idUSBRE86U0KL20120731

While American middle-classers seem to have figured out the way out is to slow spending and start saving what little they can...

Consumer Spending in U.S. Was Unchanged in June

Consumer spending in the U.S. stagnated in June as Americans used the biggest gain in incomes in three months to boost savings, indicating a weak handoff to the second half of the year.

Household purchases, which account for about 70 percent of the economy, were unchanged after a 0.1 percent decrease the prior month that was previously reported as little changed, a Commerce Department report showed today in Washington. The median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey of economists called for a 0.1 percent rise. Incomes rose 0.5 percent, lifting the savings rate to 4.4 percent, the highest in a year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-31/consumer-spending-in-u-s-was-unchanged-in-june.html

When we protect ours, they protect theirs. Tariffs and protectionism are more harmful to the economy than businesses being unable to compete.

LOL you think other countries are protecting their industry because we do (to some extent)? Not because it makes good economic sense for them to do so? Do you think for a minute that if we let our banks and auto industry fold that other nations will stop protecting their corporations?

I would recommend Bastiat's Sophisms of the Protectionists, but it would be a total waste of time; your interest is in petty politics, not economics.

And this is a curious comment coming from someone who gets his economic news from Breitbart.

Last edited:

Keynesian economics sucks.
Let the strong live in a capitalist economy.
Globalism sucks another failed thing from the left.
Yes let the big bank fail nothing to big to fail they made bad choices therefore bad things happen not all there fault some a lot from what congress did.
So it's all right that u.k owns banks here but not China.
China already set up shop hello Canada and oil again thanks to the left dumb fuck.
So factory jobs bad there's the left thinking in you coming out again.
Um no the left put american jobs in foreign nations hands.
Again let the strong live if you can't make better product then the next person sucks to be you .

Editing was a poor choice of words. What I meant was that you left out some of my comments in your "summary".

fucking peice of PUTRID SHIT, you shouldnt be talking of editing

after what you did with BONER'S QUOTE YOU BUTCHERED, Fucking NIGGERPOONZANDI:mad:

Keynesian economics sucks.
Let the strong live in a capitalist economy.

You don't even know what Keynsianism is. You just heard from Glenn Beck that it's bad and that Obama is a racist, therefore you believe it.

Globalism sucks another failed thing from the left.

Which liberal policy created globalism and highlight how conservatives opposed it. Yeah I thought so....

Yes let the big bank fail nothing to big to fail they made bad choices therefore bad things happen not all there fault some a lot from what congress did.

You don't know what the ripple effect of our big banks folding would be. Educate yourself please.

Um no the left put american jobs in foreign nations hands.

It wasn't that Chinese labor is 1/25th as expensive as American labor. It's "the Left" that made jobs go overseas. Just because you said so.:rolleyes:

You don't even know what Keynsianism is. You just heard from Glenn Beck that it's bad and that Obama is a racist, therefore you believe it.

Which liberal policy created globalism and highlight how conservatives opposed it. Yeah I thought so....

You don't know what the ripple effect of our big banks folding would be. Educate yourself please.

It wasn't that Chinese labor is 1/25th as expensive as American labor. It's "the Left" that made jobs go overseas. Just because you said so.:rolleyes:

shout-racist-liberals-78605674505.jpeg

Electricity prices are up 800% for the 2015 time frame, ENJOY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obama Didn’t Build OhioEnergy’s Coal Mine, but Company Says His Regulations Have Torn it Down

President Obama will campaign in Ohio tomorrow, but he will be greeted by newly unemployed workers in the swing state. Today, OhioAmerica Energy announced that it is shutting down operations at its operations near Brilliant, OH. The company pulls no punches, blaming the Obama administration’s regulatory policies for forcing the plant’s closure.

The company press release states that “Regulatory actions by President Barack Obama and his appointees and followers were cited as the entire reason. ‘Mr. Obama has already destroyed 83,000 megawatts of coal-fired electricity generation in America,” said Mr. Michael T. W. Carey, Vice President of Government Affairs for Murray Energy. ‘Electric prices in the recent PJM Interconnection monthly auction were bid up 800 percent (8 times) for 2015-2016 because of this,’ he added.”

The press release adds up the jobs that the Obama regulations have destroyed at the Brilliant mining operation: “‘At its peak, OhioAmerican employed 239 local people in high-paying, well-benefited jobs,’ said Mr. Stanley T. Piasecki, General Manager and Superintendent. ‘University studies show that our Mines can create up to eleven (11) secondary jobs in our communities, for store clerks, teachers, etc., to serve our direct employees. Thus, if one uses the eleven (11) to one (1) multiplier, the Obama Administration has destroyed 2,868 jobs in eastern Ohio with this forced Mine closure,’ stated Mr. Piasecki.”

OhioAmerica’s founder, Robert E. Murray, was so distraught by the closure that he went to the mine and personally announced the layoffs to each employee, according to the press release.

“‘Mr. Murray created OhioAmerican, and our production began in May, 2007,’” said Mr. Piasecki. ‘The Mine was intended to last for at least ten (10) years. Now we have been forced by our own Country’s President and his followers and supporters to permanently close the operation,’ added Mr. Piasecki.”

The company release concludes on an ominous note: “‘There will be additional layoffs, not only at Murray Energy, but also throughout the United States coal industry due to Mr. Obama’s ‘War on Coal’ and the destruction that it has caused to so many jobs and families in the Ohio Valley area and elsewhere,’ said Mr. Murray. ‘Both Mr. Obama and Vice President Joe Biden stated that there would be ‘no coal in America’ prior to their elections,’ said Mr. Piasecki. ‘They are making good on their intentions while they destroy so many lives and family livelihoods in this area for no benefit whatsoever.’”

President Obama promised to use “skyrocketing” energy prices to destroy the coal industry during his campaign for the presidency. One of his EPA administrations lamented that the agency could not simply tell coal producing communities to “go away.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back