find an editor to work with

tfren

Virgin
Joined
Oct 18, 2018
Posts
11
Hellooo!

So, I want to work with an editor. Now I just need to find one.

I've looked through the VE lists and I know you can search them by interest. It's very helpful but sometimes it's hard to get a sense of what they enjoy from their ads. I'm also wondering if the best way to find an editor is really just to search through them all and hope that the one who takes your fancy (assuming they agree to work with you) is the person you are truly going to produce your best work with (I'm aiming for the stars here - I hope you can tell).

I'm aware of the editors forum but this is described as, "A place to discuss story editing issues with [...] volunteer editors." If I'm just hunting for an editor then posting an ad in this forum doesn't really fit the description. Furthermore, do editors read those posts in search of writers to work with? Or are they more likely to search 'story ideas' (because that place seems more suited to writer hunters)

I'm maybe over thinking this and making it too complicated, but I'm new here and I don't want to post in the wrong place. I was wondering if there is some place that perhaps I've not found where I could simply advertise myself to prospective editors.

I also wondered (sorry for the many questions) if there are certain editors that have reputations for being good at certain things/genres, and if so - how would I find them?

Again, I really don't want to post in the wrong forum. I've spent a few long evenings looking around and feel that perhaps this is the best place to start. Maybe others are in a similar position and this could be a helpful general 'seeking an editor' style question.

So, those are my questions, but since I have your attention then I may as well write a little about what I'm looking for..., if you'll forgive me. I wasn't sure if this list ws too demanding, but I decided that upfrontness and honesty seem to be encouraged here. So, at the risk of sounding like a demanding so-and-so...

here is my list of demands...


1)
I'm certain that I need help with spelling and punctuation - I'm dyslexic and I think anything that a simple grammar/spell checker can't pick up would slip me by (any suggestions for checkers for Linux systems welcome.)

2)
I want an editor that is interested in giving feed back on all aspects of plot, pace and character development. It would obviously only work if we share common interests but my interests are wide and I love hearing about what others like so I'd like an editor that could effectively be a co-pilot and help steer things.

3) I want an editor who is relaxed (I'm in no real rush) and who is interested in making something that is above average quality even if it takes a while

4) I want an editor who is prepared to work with someone who has effectively no experience whatsoever in any of this.

5) I want an editor who is at least interested in (but most certainly not limited to or bound by) the following categories (in alphabetical order only): Exhibitionist & Voyeur; Incest/Taboo; and Loving Wives.

Thanks for reading!
And thanks for being one of the best sites on the entire web!

T
 
I'll answer my own question now.... oops...

Well, in true me fashion, I've somehow over-looked the glaringly obvious. But maybe this post can remain as a 'how to' style question that has an answer:

There is a thread that poses the question: How do I post a thread here to solicit an editor?
When they say 'here', they mean THE EDITORS FORUM (who'da thought). The post is educational and helpful and is here:
https://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=5085683&postcount=1
It goes on to suggest (quite explicitly) that you can just place ads for editors in the editors forum.

So, off I pop...
Sorry for wasting your time...
I'd still appreciate any feedback to the above questions if you have something to add, for me or future idiots like myself...

T
 
Yes, the Editor's Forum is the best place to go. There's a sticky at the top of the page which gets updated regularly, showing who is available during the month.

Start a new thread there, giving some outline of a piece of work you want looked at. Your current request is rather broad. Good luck.
 
Yes, I also think that the Editors Forum is the most suitable place to search. Although, of course, you can find on various thematic resources, so there should not be any problems here.
 
When I was searching myself, I would go to Lit's volunteer editor program, specify the genre and then in that list search for editors whose profile was changed in the last year (jsut Ctrl+F and type /18). Then I would view their profiles, and when I liked what I see, I would message them with:
1) quick description of the story
2) some trigger themes if it has one (because I didn't want editor giving up midway)
3) List of what I needed from them

I would copy that message and send it to about 8-10 editors at once. And believe me, 90% of them will not respond.
If I didn't get a response from any of them within 24 hours, I would just message the next 10 people.
If I got the positive response from 2 (never got more than 2), then I would apologize to one of them, saying that the position is taken already.

I normally got an editor within 2-3 days. And if I found one, I would keep offering them my next projects. Sometimes they lose interest, that's fine.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top