I am Music

Talk about Young looking...lookie here...The Cream doing Tales of Brave Ulysses. This must have been made right at their beginning...playing up a storm...check out the clothes...and Clapton's guitar...damn, I miss those days...

Angeline said:
Oh, I forgot about So You Wanna Be a Rock-and-Roll Star! I love that one even more than Eight Miles High. And that's a great video! On a side note, when my son went through his wanna be a r and r star phase--ages 13 to 15--I used to chase him around singing that song. (Yes, he hated it. lol)

Now my all-time favorite is Buffalo Springfield. I love this clip of For What It's Worth. They all look so young (especially Neil--lol, sorry, pun intended). Too bad I can't find of clip of Kind Woman or Bluebird or my very, very favorite Hung Upsidedown. Ah well, here's a cool CSNY (or SY?) version of Mr. Soul, which I noticed you used to have in your sig line.

Edited to add: Here's the original Buffalo Springfield doing Mr. Soul. eagleyez and I just watched it with big, silly grins on our faces. It's just the kind of music that makes you want to smile and smile. ;)
All I can say is that Mr. T. is lucky you are spoken for and I am married or I would be flying to the wrong coast and knocking on your door, flowers and vinyl LPs in hand. I very nearly linked that video in my previous post, 'cuz the Springfield is my other most favorite band and For What It's Worth is my other most favorite song. I got Buffalo Springfield Again for Christmas in 1967, when I was in junior high school and played the effin' shit out of it. I'd pick Bluebird, of course, but also Everydays and Rock and Roll Woman for special cuts. An' Neil, o'course.

If there is one rock star I wanted to be, it was Neil. Here's Neil playing one of my favorites, Cinnamon Girl from the Rust Never Sleeps tour. Dig the dancing Jawas—they're like way too funny. And, hey, is that Sun Ra on keyboards?! Prolly not, but it would have been cool if it was.

The Les Paul is weird, though. I miss the Gretsch White Falcon.

Last edited:
tungtied2u said:
Talk about Young looking...lookie here...The Cream doing Tales of Brave Ulysses. This must have been made right at their beginning...playing up a storm...check out the clothes...and Clapton's guitar...damn, I miss those days...
You guys are playing my all-time favorites list here. I love that SG that EC is playing. Someone painted a fake Monet on it or something. :rolleyes:

Either that or this one is my favorite Cream song.

I'm feeling old now and my ego is hurting from all that exercise. Where's the Advil? :rolleyes:

OK. Perhaps I should be con·tem·po·rar·y 'bout my musical avatars, eh? Right. So The White Stripes should be OK, shouldn't they? I kinda like them, at least in part because I want to **content blocked due to adult themes** Meg White, especially when she **content blocked due to adult themes**.

Anyway, this video, with Conan O'Brien is weirdly funny. This one is classic, especially in the Simpsons version. And I just love this one from Conan's show.

Aw, shit. Now I want some junky Silvertone guitar and a Heathkit amp and some wicked slide guitar licks and I will be a whole and proper man.

Why yes, I have been reading Flannery O'Connor. Why do you ask?

Tzara said:
You guys are playing my all-time favorites list here. I love that SG that EC is playing. Someone painted a fake Monet on it or something. :rolleyes:

Either that or this one is my favorite Cream song.

I'm feeling old now and my ego is hurting from all that exercise. Where's the Advil? :rolleyes:

I heard Robert Johnson singing "Crossroads" Wednesday on the radio, as well as "Come On IN My Kitchen" and another tune... was his birthday, maybe, as noone is really sure when he was born.
No videos of him as you might guess...but the one of the Cream is a nice tribute.

And thanks for the White Stripes stuff..I really enjoyed those. :)

I think we are all very simpatico in this thread. Maybe we can all uh start a commune together (you can be in charge, Mr. Marx although I have to admit I prefer Groucho--yes, I'm thinking of the Firesign Theater album).

ttungtied this one is for you. Here is some very early Joni. Was there ever a time when this woman wasn't gorgeous and poetic? And you'll notice a few other familiar faces. ;)

Tzara, Neil is ee's favorite, too. I think I've mentioned before that he was at that Rust Never Sleeps concert. Lucky bastard.

:rose:

Thank you Ang....I hadn't seen that one....and a nice song as well, and how apropo for her...she knew what she was about even back then.

I have a belated birthday prezzie for ee (and I know Tzara also will appreciate this one)...
this guy came into my mind out of nowhere today. I used to be a huge fan of his, but somehow lost track of him.

All I'm going to say as an intro is Vaseline Machine Gun. See if you can guess who it is before you look. :cool:

Angeline said:
I think we are all very simpatico in this thread. Maybe we can all uh start a commune together (you can be in charge, Mr. Marx although I have to admit I prefer Groucho--yes, I'm thinking of the Firesign Theater album).

ttungtied this one is for you. Here is some very early Joni. Was there ever a time when this woman wasn't gorgeous and poetic? And you'll notice a few other familiar faces. ;)

Tzara, Neil is ee's favorite, too. I think I've mentioned before that he was at that Rust Never Sleeps concert. Lucky bastard.

:rose:

I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress.

Hah. Adrian Belew is an effin' piker when it comes to repetition. Here's the champeen: Erik Satie's piano piece Vexations.

No, no. That's not the whole thing. To complete the piece, you are supposed to play this motive 840 times in succession. To quote M. Satie: In order to play this motive 840 times successively, one should prepare oneself in advance by maintaining complete silence and keeping absolutely still.

I actually own a CD of this, performed by Alan Marks. He gives up after 40 reps. It takes him just under 70 minutes to play that. So, based on that, it would take about 24 and a half hours to complete the piece.

The composer John Cage organized the premiere of Vexations in 1963, where it was played by a series of pianists in relay.

Hey. I grew up in the sixties. Great stuff to turn down the lights and indulge in unlegal herbs to. :cool:

tungtied2u said:
Thank you Ang....I hadn't seen that one....and a nice song as well, and how apropo for her...she knew what she was about even back then.

I have a belated birthday prezzie for ee (and I know Tzara also will appreciate this one)...
this guy came into my mind out of nowhere today. I used to be a huge fan of his, but somehow lost track of him.

All I'm going to say as an intro is Vaseline Machine Gun. See if you can guess who it is before you look. :cool:
That's good, tt, but if we are talkin' 12-string guitar, we'd better link in Leadbelly, shouldn't we? :)

Who is Adrian Belew? Here is another piece with Leo Kottke...this time playing with Doc Watson....I'm not a guitarist, or musician for that matter...but do I note different playing styles here ?

Tzara said:
Hah. Adrian Belew is an effin' piker when it comes to repetition. Here's the champeen: Erik Satie's piano piece Vexations.

No, no. That's not the whole thing. To complete the piece, you are supposed to play this motive 840 times in succession. To quote M. Satie: In order to play this motive 840 times successively, one should prepare oneself in advance by maintaining complete silence and keeping absolutely still.

I actually own a CD of this, performed by Alan Marks. He gives up after 40 reps. It takes him just under 70 minutes to play that. So, based on that, it would take about 24 and a half hours to complete the piece.

The composer John Cage organized the premiere of Vexations in 1963, where it was played by a series of pianists in relay.

Hey. I grew up in the sixties. Great stuff to turn down the lights and indulge in unlegal herbs to. :cool:

Wow...that is an amazing find ! I only watched the first song..and wanted to come back and thank you...now back to the rest of the video... :nana:

Tzara said:
That's good, tt, but if we are talkin' 12-string guitar, we'd better link in Leadbelly, shouldn't we? :)

tungtied2u said:
Who is Adrian Belew?
Lead vocalist and guitarist with the 80s version of King Crimson. I wuz referring to this song, but if you really want to see KC rock, check out Elephant Talk—manic, brilliant, and just fabulous musicianship. Belew and Fripp are fantastic, but for my money, Tony Levin on the Chapman Stick is just awesome. I love these guys.
tungtied2u said:
Here is another piece with Leo Kottke...this time playing with Doc Watson....I'm not a guitarist, or musician for that matter...but do I note different playing styles here ?
Lovely. I actually saw Doc and Merle Watson in concert at the Masonic Temple in Seattle before it was converted to the Egyptian Theatre.

Excellent.

tungtied2u said:
Django! I love Django! And the amazing thing is his left hand (the fingering hand) is crippled—injured in a fire. He plays that stuff basically with two fingers and his thumb. Awesome musician. Stuffs your basic speed metal guitarist any day of the week.

Oh. Stephane Grappelli is pretty good too, of course. :rolleyes:

That makes me think of Sidney Bechet, who is, I know, not a guitarist. It's the French thing. I have a French LP of him I got remaindered years ago (as if "LP" wasn't a clue) that is fabulous.

This stuff makes you understand why Paris was the hip place to be in the 20s.

I feel a sudden urge to sip Pernod and read Rimbaud. :cool:

Tzara said:
It's the French thing.

I feel a sudden urge to sip Pernod and read Rimbaud. :cool:

OK..in that French vein....you reminded me of this... :heart:

to two lovely ladies.... :kiss:

Last edited:
tungtied2u said:
and I have only heard of her...but searched her out...lovely voice...Edith Piaf
When we were in Paris, we went by her grave in the Cimetière du Père-Lachaise. The woman died almost 45 years ago and there are still crowds of people around the grave, paying their respects.

Sorry. Have to do one more French thing. Julia Migenes makes me want to take up smoking again. Gitanes, of course.

Bonne nuit.

I can't imagine what he sees in her... :rolleyes:

probably the same thing any smart guy would see in you... :rose:

Tristesse2 said:
Amazing playing! I love the body language. I offer you this. :kiss:

Get the sax at the end.

Back