Bi male in gay category?

JagFarlane

Gone Hiking
I'm working on a story about a mans first time having sex with another male and the character seems to be taking a leaning towards being bi angle. This is my first time writing for that category and I just was curious as to how well the readers in there generally take towards having a bi character? There won't be sex with a woman in the story but he has thoughts in regards to both sexes as he's trying to figure out his sexual orientation.

I'm working on a story about a mans first time having sex with another male and the character seems to be taking a leaning towards being bi angle. This is my first time writing for that category and I just was curious as to how well the readers in there generally take towards having a bi character? There won't be sex with a woman in the story but he has thoughts in regards to both sexes as he's trying to figure out his sexual orientation.

Just my opinion on this, but I'd think a lot of gay readers would be very turned on by the idea of bringing someone over from the "other side." If your bi male character has thoughts about sex with women but acts out sex with men, then I think you're certainly tickling a nerve there (in a good way).

Waaaay back when I first started at Lit, I edited a couple of the chapters of a story called Irish Eyes Are Smiling, which was about a gay man and a bisexual man. There was some action between the bi and a girl, but it didn't seem to hurt their readership.

Gay men don't much want to know the details of hetero sex. Het men don't want to read about gay sex.

At one point laurel talked about creating a bisexual category.We even created a poll for it-- but there's been silence on the subject for nearly a year.... If you never added your vote, maybe more numbers would help?

I notice that a lot of MM material on Smash is about My Straight Friend whom I always fancied and who I suddenly manage to seduce. (Just from reading the blurbs, guys! Not really cruising the gay men's stuff, LOL.) Bringing a straight man over seems to be a hottie.

Having gay and straight action in the same story is quite hard to manage so it's good you are not having actual action. I'm doing it in one of my stories by putting the chapters in different categories, I did it deliberately to see how it goes. The results are ... interesting! LOL.

Good luck with it!
:rose:

My current one has straight sex, gay sex, and lesbian sex. It will be interesting to see how it goes over. I'll probably post it in GS. I'm not exactly hoping for a red H on this one, because there's something to turn off everyone. :p

My current one has straight sex, gay sex, and lesbian sex. It will be interesting to see how it goes over. I'll probably post it in GS. I'm not exactly hoping for a red H on this one, because there's something to turn off everyone. :p

Ooh, I am going there! As long as it doesn't have incest too, LOL. Umm, I only read the gay bits for academic purposes y'unnerstand ;). Two men together ... um, excuse me, I must just go and lie down quietly for a minute. <snerk>.

Ooh, I am going there! As long as it doesn't have incest too, LOL. Umm, I only read the gay bits for academic purposes y'unnerstand ;). Two men together ... um, excuse me, I must just go and lie down quietly for a minute. <snerk>.

In fact, I just finished it. Gonna give it a while to cool, then polish it up and send it in. ;)

Put any bi male story in GM category, if you don't, you will regret it. If it contains straight sex, use an author's note saying that it's a bisexual story and there are MF scenes so GM readers won't be surprised and roast you. Then make sure you give your story correct story tags for readers to find. Since there isn't a bi category, readers do searches for bisexual male stories. It's unfortunate story tags are not visible at the beginning of story, it would be more helpful if they were.

Gay men don't much want to know the details of hetero sex. Het men don't want to read about gay sex.

At one point laurel talked about creating a bisexual category.We even created a poll for it-- but there's been silence on the subject for nearly a year.... If you never added your vote, maybe more numbers would help?

Yeah there's no hetero sex in the story, at least I don't forsee that happening, but I wanted to know how they react to bi characters. In real life I've seen some gay men ostracize men for being bi for whatever reason.
The poll to your thread is closed, fyi. It's an interesting idea, that's for sure.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Put any bi male story in GM category, if you don't, you will regret it. If it contains straight sex, use an author's note saying that it's a bisexual story and there are MF scenes so GM readers won't be surprised and roast you. Then make sure you give your story correct story tags for readers to find. Since there isn't a bi category, readers do searches for bisexual male stories. It's unfortunate story tags are not visible at the beginning of story, it would be more helpful if they were.

I've had good luck with including bi male sex in group sex and even inside the incest category - always with a warning from the author at the opening of the story. Those who aren't interested can skip it and those who are, can read away. I don't think there's any reason to treat male bisexuality any differently than female bisexuality.

What Neonurotic said. It's a shame that a bi-category has yet to surface here on Lit--the Group readers, by and large, generally want their group to have hetero sex. There is a believe even among swingers that there is no such thing as a "bi-male" (though no one seems to have problems believing in bi-females). The belief is that a bi-male is just a gay male who hasn't committed to his gayness.

That belief is what keeps bi-males in the gay category, where the gay sex won't bother the hetero men. Of course, the gay men readers get annoyed when these stories really are bi and they have to read about the hetero sex. A bi-category would really do Lit good in enlightening readers to the fact that men as well as women can be "bi." Not confused, not experimenting, not hiding from the truth, but genuinely attracted to both genders.

There is a believe even among swingers that there is no such thing as a "bi-male" (though no one seems to have problems believing in bi-females). The belief is that a bi-male is just a gay male who hasn't committed to his gayness.

Which by the way is the belief of many gay men as well. Not that some lesbian don't hold the same view but most of us do except women and men can be bisexual.

I don't see a problem, JagFarlane. If your story only has sex scenes between men it should go in the Gay Male category. If well written it should appeal to both bi and gay men. But with stories that have both gay and hetero sex scenes it would not do well in Gay Male.

The same goes for the Lesbian Sex category. Personally I have no problem reading about hetero or gay sex but having it as part of a story about sex between women, bi or lesbian, I would most likely stop reading at the first sign of hetero/gay sex.

^^^^This^^^^^

There is a believe even among swingers that there is no such thing as a "bi-male" (though no one seems to have problems believing in bi-females). The belief is that a bi-male is just a gay male who hasn't committed to his gayness.

On the other hand, there are those of us who don't believe there's such a thing as a hetero man who has a normal sex drive--that they're all bi and just haven't acknowledged it yet. :D

On the other hand, there are those of us who don't believe there's such a thing as a hetero man who has a normal sex drive--that they're all bi and just haven't acknowledged it yet. :D

I think everyone's bi. ;) It's just a matter of degrees.

I think everyone's bi. ;) It's just a matter of degrees.
From no degree at all to lots of degrees. Sure. ;)

There's a term people are starting to use in these conversations; "monosexual." Meaning sexually oriented towards one sex and that sex only. Could be gay or straight-- monosexual. Everyone else is bisexual, (or pansexual which more or less means someone who doesn't assess prospective partners so much by their physical sexual characteristics, but by their minds' gender.)

Everyone else is bisexual, (or pansexual which more or less means someone who doesn't assess prospective partners so much by their physical sexual characteristics, but by their minds' gender.)
Well, but if they're truly bi-sexual, then it really wouldn't matter what the other person's gender was to their mind or the person...would it? I mean--if it's "anything that walks on two legs...." is a potential "go" then isn't a term like pansexual splitting hairs? To no real purpose, I mean. :confused:

From no degree at all to lots of degrees. Sure. ;)

There's a term people are starting to use in these conversations; "monosexual." Meaning sexually oriented towards one sex and that sex only. Could be gay or straight-- monosexual. Everyone else is bisexual, (or pansexual which more or less means someone who doesn't assess prospective partners so much by their physical sexual characteristics, but by their minds' gender.)

I was being tongue-in-cheek. Thought that was obvious. But I do think bisexuality is the natural norm.

I find the various terms interesting. Pansexual, omnisexual, then of course, there's "trysexual." Monosexual is one I haven't personally heard anyone use yet, however.

No, like Slyc posted, I think that everyone is basically bi and is conditioned away from that (if they don't see themselves as basically bi). And changing terminology around doesn't really have anything to do with that. You're free to disagree, of course.

Last edited:
Well, but if they're truly bi-sexual, then it really wouldn't matter what the other person's gender was to their mind or the person...would it? I mean--if it's "anything that walks on two legs...." is a potential "go" then isn't a term like pansexual splitting hairs? To no real purpose, I mean. :confused:
No... "bi" means two. As in, "binary." Men, and women, who are natural normal men and women. Most of us can understand original equipment. :)

There's a bigger step than you'd expect, to include "women who have shrunken penises and testes" or "men who have tiny penises in front of vaginas" You have to learn what to do with those kinds of genitals -- assuming you would want to in the first place-- and how to be loving towards those minds, too.

That's when you're getting into the realms of human imagination and possibility, gender expression, queerness-- in the original sense of the word. :D

I find this almost funny, if it weren't so true. I admit to being a lurker here but I am writing and preparing several stories. I just find this conclusion to be humorous. Why? Because Gays and Lesbians would be the very last people I would think that would persecute or flame any other person for their lifestyle choices. I guess being in the position to give another person some of that which you feel you have endured is A-Okay as long as it isn't you on the receiving end.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't make much sense to me. Now some of the other nonsense in other forums makes perfect sense to me, but not that one.

OTOM

Thing is, being gay or lesbian isn't a "lifestyle choice."

It's people's lives. And in a world chock full of heterosex, some of us would like to have a corner that is free of it...

Anyway, I encourage everyone who has a stake in this issue to PM Laurel and ask her if she plans on doing anything anytime soon.

Last edited:
Because Gays and Lesbians would be the very last people I would think that would persecute or flame any other person for their lifestyle choices.

I'm going to ignore the comment about "lifestyle choices" and say some might think readers wouldn't flame a bisexual story with bisexual sex, but it's not the case. Even with a codes and author's note, being a bisexual male, I've had GM stories fried because they've contained MMF and MF scenes. I've re-written the same stories and omitted the straight sex then re-posted them and the stories were much more successful.

But anyway, the point is, there needs to be a Bisexual category as stated by Stella_Omega. I'd like to have my own little corner of Literotica and write the stories they way I want them to be and not worry about being admonished for it.

Last edited:
But anyway, the point is, there needs to be a Bisexual category as stated by Stella_Omega. I'd like to have my own little corner of Literotica and write the stories they way I want them to be and not worry about being admonished for it.

That point's been mentioned for the seven years I've been posting to the forum. It's not a new idea. Haven't seen it happen.

I'm going to ignore the comment about "lifestyle choices" and say some might think readers wouldn't flame a bisexual story with bisexual sex, but it's not the case. Even with a codes and author's note, being a bisexual male, I've had GM stories fried because they've contained MMF and MF scenes. I've re-written the same stories and omitted the straight sex then re-posted them and the stories were much more successful.

I'm sort against a bisexual category for my own politically incorrect reasons. I believe, as humans, we are sexual by nature and that sexuality has few inherent limits. Those limits are primarily created (and enforced) by group values and are changeable. With that thought in mind, I don't believe in segregation. Tolerance? Definitely. Segregation? Not so much.

To bring it more into focus for this site, in general, how many different categories do we need? It's already a hot mess sometimes trying to decide where to place a story. For example, if it's about a married woman having sex outside of marriage, doesn't it automatically belong in "Loving Wives?" What if she's having lesbian sex outside of her marriage? Or if she's having lesbian sex that involves whips, chains, bondage and heavy power play? And one of the characters is a color other than white? And they like to have foot sex? ... you get the point.

As others have suggested, I think the best rule of thumb is to let the content be the decider. If it's mostly about two guys with very little towards the females, then it's probably in the Gay category with a word of caution up front for the readers who went to the Gay section for strictly MM activity. If it's a mix of gay and heterosexual sex, then I think the author should decide the category based on a secondary element (as in, marital status matters or it's a group situation or it contains heavy BDSM elements or something), and again, with an opening caution to the reader.

I think the best course of action for anyone would be to settle on category based on general content, wise choice of tags and if you're worried you're heading in a slightly off-topic direction, add a warning in the beginning to acknowledge it so you're not blind-siding someone.

As much as I love my characters exploring the full range of human sexuality, I don't believe having a "Bisexual" category solves a problem or adds creditability to being bisexuality.

Another personal nit: I get so tired of the word "bisexual" inferring "male bisexuality."

Back