Broaden My Horizons Please... Musically

And if you want to go into Jazz, well ... that opens up an entire new galaxy.

From Big Band style Glenn Miller (mentioned above), you go to Artie Shaw, Charlie Barnett, The Dorsey Brothers, Benny Goodman and dozens of others.

Moving to later years, you get to Stan Kenton, Oscar Peterson, Cedar Walton, Bob James, Earl Klugh, Doc Severinson, Noel Pointer, Jean Luc Ponty, Maynard Ferguson, Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Chuck Mangione .... The list there is almost endless.

Then into fusion Jazz, with Pat Metheny, Oregon, etc.

Endless, indeed, because, with respect, I would not recommend that path at all.

I'd advise a noob to start with Armstrong, then Ellington and Basie..

Glenn Miller is to Benny Goodman as Coldplay is to Radiohead. Swing is for the most part the homogenized pop of jazz. The real bloodline runs trough Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young.

You didn't mention Bebop at all. Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie are essential. Then, Miles and Coltrane. Rollins, Monk, Mingus.

I'd get to fusion through Miles and Herbie Hancock.

You might like Dire Straits too. Kind of a bluesy/jazzy rock.

One of their most famous ... 'I want my MTVeeeeee'. OK, it's really called 'Money for Nothing'. Another was 'Sultans of Swing'.

Linda Ronstadt?

Alison

White Rhythm and Blues

Stoney End

Different Drum

Another one to consider is Supertramp - Breakfast In America

Angel has a good voice and I like Sister, but she's not very upbeat.

I like their sound. I'm looking into some of their stuff. Just don't want heartbreak crap.

If you like KT Tunstall, here is one of hers I've enjoyed. It's quite upbeat.

Suddenly I See
https://youtu.be/9AEoUa0Hlso

And this one.

new Harry Styles

I like the sound of this one.

Those were just the ones I thought she would like. I have an eclectic taste in music. I didn't think she wanted any Serj Tankian, Puscifer, or Madcon.

Serj Tankian Lie Lie was kind of fun and interesting. I might have to look at a them a bit more.

I really liked the second one and that's probably going to be added. :cool:

You are correct about Madcon.

an open suggestion to everyone because they never got enough love: the silver jews.

punks in the beerlight

What Is Not But Could Be If

sometimes a pony gets depressed (with a stupid my little ponies video)

also, this unrelated, but fairly excellent sweet cover i ran into last night: fox on the run

i don't know shit about those kids, but it's a good cover and i'm posting it here. deal with it.

oh, and `animal shapes. so, yeah, i really like the tanglewood numbers album.

Silver Jews don't sound very upbeat. They have a bit of a downer sound to me.

I'm never going to be the same after the pony vid. I blame you. :D

Louis Moreau Gottschalk

Very sweet.

Here's my disparate summer selects for upbeat-ness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hqhq37ifeo

This is a single, not an album, but you can cop the DJ Cam-produced assembly it's on, which has lots more gems on it, just that this is the standout track and it does the trick perfectly. It's so fucking breezy and upbeat. Anggun totally killed this. Drippin' with sex. Used to get super lit to this back in the early-aughts day.

I particularly this one.

I tend to like the gloomier stuff. Things that are lyrical, but not about love and breakups and shit.

I'd just recommend jazz. I've been exploring Stanley Clarke lately . . . his sound is pretty diverse.

Not my style, but thank you. I'd never heard of him before so it was a new thing. :)

I need a bit more twang for that amount of twang. :D

'Ode To Billie Jo' - Bobbie Gentry

Check.

That's alright, I was just sharing something I heard and had enjoyed, I wasn't trying to convince everybody how much cooler I am than them.

put on an ice pack on it and move on.

also, jazz

Keep this up and you two will need a room. :cattail:

And if you want to go into Jazz, well ... that opens up an entire new galaxy.

From Big Band style Glenn Miller (mentioned above), you go to Artie Shaw, Charlie Barnett, The Dorsey Brothers, Benny Goodman and dozens of others.

Moving to later years, you get to Stan Kenton, Oscar Peterson, Cedar Walton, Bob James, Earl Klugh, Doc Severinson, Noel Pointer, Jean Luc Ponty, Maynard Ferguson, Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Chuck Mangione .... The list there is almost endless.

Then into fusion Jazz, with Pat Metheny, Oregon, etc.

Anything specifically upbeat to look at within that group? I am already well familiar with big band. But for the jazzy stuff... upbeat, happy.

Good music, but I just realized... Garbage is kind of depressing... hahaha! :cool:

That's a serious amount and I know at a glance that several of those are not too upbeat or cheerful... If I may ask for you to suggest one or two options from that extensive list that are cheerful upbeat type pieces?

I find these uplifting. Tastes may differ.

Aaron Copland
Appalachian Spring
Rodeo
Billy The Kid Suite

Ralph Vaughn Williams
Fantasia on "Greensleeves"

Manuel de Falla
The Three Cornered Hat

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony #9

Like I said, the Silver Jews suggestion was for everyone. Mainly because I was listening to them at the time and felt like sharing.

But, no, they weren't upbeat. Just really fucking good.

J.S. Bach ... Goldberg Variations
Ludwig von Beethoven .... late string quartets (particularly no. 13)
Beethoven .... piano sonata #21 (Waldstein) and #29 (Hammerklavier; Canadian pianist Leslie Kenton called this the most intellectually and technically demanding piece ever written for the piano)
Frank Schubert ... piano quintet in A major (Trout Quintet)
Frederick Chopin ... piano sonata # 2
Richard Strauss ... Salome
Dmitiri Shostakovich ... string quartet #8
Bela Bartok ... Bluebeard's Castle. (This is a bit edgy)
Sergei Prokofiev ... piano sonatas #2, 7, 8
Robert Simpson ... string quartet #10. (For Peace)
Alan Hovhaness ... symphony #2 (Mysterious Mountain). Ok, musically this may not have the stature of these other works, but it's a favorite of mine, possibly because after being seduced by this symphony for the first time, one of the violinists seduced me in another way (not exactly the first time, but the first time he seduced me, lol).

Do not expect to fully appreciate any of these works on a first hearing but the Schubert, Bach and first LvB offerings are perhaps the most approachable. Please PM me if you take up any of my suggestions and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

I find these uplifting. Tastes may differ.

Aaron Copland
Appalachian Spring
Rodeo
Billy The Kid Suite

Ralph Vaughn Williams

Manuel de Falla
The Three Cornered Hat

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony #9

Our taste run in similar veins. Regarding RvW, I would substitute "The Lark Ascending."

Dire Straits was mentioned, but Mark Knopfler has some good solo stuff, including a sweet little country rock project...The Notting Hillbillies.

Bela Fleck's Live Art is good stuff.

Last edited:
Anything specifically upbeat to look at within that group? I am already well familiar with big band. But for the jazzy stuff... upbeat, happy.

I find Oregon and Pat Metheny interesting and different. Jean Luc Ponty's Mystical Adventures is good.

When I want 'uplifting', I go out to the garage and get one of the hydraulic floor jacks.

Music is for entertainment and background noise to pass the time. I find 'Sick of it all' by The Skull and 'The End' by The Doors to be entertaining, but they can't be called 'uplifting'.

I do get a lighthearted kick out of 'Snowflake' by Malachai and there is always The Royal Guardsman and the versions of Snoopy and the Red Baron tales.

Endless, indeed, because, with respect, I would not recommend that path at all.

I'd advise a noob to start with Armstrong, then Ellington and Basie..

Glenn Miller is to Benny Goodman as Coldplay is to Radiohead. Swing is for the most part the homogenized pop of jazz. The real bloodline runs trough Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young.

You didn't mention Bebop at all. Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie are essential. Then, Miles and Coltrane. Rollins, Monk, Mingus.

I'd get to fusion through Miles and Herbie Hancock.

I've got Armstrong, Ellington and Basie already in my collection.

As for the rest, I think Dizzy Gillespie would be a good start. I'd rather not rush trying to familiarize myself with the rest.

You might like Dire Straits too. Kind of a bluesy/jazzy rock.

One of their most famous ... 'I want my MTVeeeeee'. OK, it's really called 'Money for Nothing'. Another was 'Sultans of Swing'.

I truly hated that song - the MTV one. :eek:

However, Sultans of Swing is one of the few songs I do like of theirs. Along with Walk of Life.

Linda Ronstadt?

Alison

White Rhythm and Blues

Stoney End

Different Drum

Those are all pretty non upbeat.

Another one to consider is Supertramp - Breakfast In America

I did not know the name of that song. Cool. Thanks! :cool:

I've seen that thread before. I'll save it for another time when I can really peruse it. Thank you for linking it.

Florence and the Machine

Her first album is incredible.

Yes it is good and I think I may end up getting it. I also really like Shake it Out. Not traditionally upbeat, but definitely powerfully inspirational.

Ralph Vaughn Williams

I'll add:
Leonard Bernstein
Overture To Candide

Good calls on both. Thanks! :cool:

Like I said, the Silver Jews suggestion was for everyone. Mainly because I was listening to them at the time and felt like sharing.

But, no, they weren't upbeat. Just really fucking good.

Yes they are very good. :cool:

J.S. Bach ... Goldberg Variations
Ludwig von Beethoven .... late string quartets (particularly no. 13)
Beethoven .... piano sonata #21 (Waldstein) and #29 (Hammerklavier; Canadian pianist Leslie Kenton called this the most intellectually and technically demanding piece ever written for the piano)
Frank Schubert ... piano quintet in A major (Trout Quintet)
Frederick Chopin ... piano sonata # 2
Richard Strauss ... Salome
Dmitiri Shostakovich ... string quartet #8
Bela Bartok ... Bluebeard's Castle. (This is a bit edgy)
Sergei Prokofiev ... piano sonatas #2, 7, 8
Robert Simpson ... string quartet #10. (For Peace)
Alan Hovhaness ... symphony #2 (Mysterious Mountain). Ok, musically this may not have the stature of these other works, but it's a favorite of mine, possibly because after being seduced by this symphony for the first time, one of the violinists seduced me in another way (not exactly the first time, but the first time he seduced me, lol).

Do not expect to fully appreciate any of these works on a first hearing but the Schubert, Bach and first LvB offerings are perhaps the most approachable. Please PM me if you take up any of my suggestions and let me know what you think.

I'm going to save this list when I have more time to really delve into this genre. There is a lot to review and I would prefer to do it justice.

Jazz...

G and I went to a few dr Lonnie smith gigs a bit this year. I really like the new album pilgrimage. I like stuff for the upcoming one a lot too.

I'd not heard him before. Interesting. Thank you. :)

Adrina, can you get BBC radio over there? I love radio three, my favourite programme is on GMT late nights and it's called late junction. It's totally random , either totally interesting or not, but it's SLWAYS got stuff I haven't heard which is why I love it. Sometimes it's so remarkably exciting I wriggle with delight. Othertimes it's like forlorn postcards you don't want from places you don't care to visit, but it's still an incredible radio programme all in all.

I don't know. I'll have to check into it.

Bela Fleck's Live Art is good stuff.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Now... after dinner... I start building.

You guys have given me a lot to work with. Grazie! :cool:

For upbeat, I like A Great Big World's album, "Is There Anybody Out There?" minus the heartbreak songs.

It's time for an alteration in my musical universe. I'm rebuilding my car stick this weekend. I want upbeat music - nothing maudlin and nothing with a freakin' broken heart.

I am a fan of classic rock, 80s alternative Britpop, some pop (not too bubblegummy), old timey music from the 40s and 50s, jazz, some classic. I'm not a particular fan of harsh sounding music - harder rock, punk etc. For country, it depends.

I don't keep track of the newest and latest so I really don't know all what is out there. I'd love to get some suggestions. I'll take a listen to everything... even if it's not my normal, I'll at least give it a try.

Help? :cool:

Depends on the drive, right?

Strunz and Farah

and

Frank Zappa

Ishmael

Courtesy of Byron

When I Decide.

Ishmael

I giggled so much at that I had to play it twice. :D

Jazz too much for you?

Turn it up

Ishmael

I like the Stones. Forgot about that one. They have so much out there really.

Depends for jazz. I don't like stuff that sounds like lounge music. Especially bad lounge music. Since I'm not as familiar with it, it is easier for me to check out individual songs as opposed to just listing an artist.

Back