Word choice

JennaMonroe

Experienced
Joined
Sep 3, 2015
Posts
42
I know this is an author thread but the best authors are readers so I'm asking...

I've seen a lot of stories where one character calls the other names the whole time. (Whore, slut, bitch) and it doesn't necessarily fit the theme of the story. So I have to ask. Is this a turn on? Is it common to be turned on by those words even when it's not a degradation story?

Thanks!
 
Not for me. Anything that breaks my immersion generally interrupts my masturbation, too. I mean, I like those words, but in the right place.
 
Personally, I'm not a fan of that kind of thing. But there is definitely a large segment of the readers who like to fantasize about demeaning or being demeaned like that.
 
insults

One guess it's a "Eye of the beholder" fetish. Personally, i'm so glad when anyone has sex with me the last thing i want to do is insult them and risk ending the tryst!

Maybe the author is doing it for effect? It's dirty, taboo, therefore sexy. There are tons of incest stories on the site. I doubt that much incest is happening in the real world. For God's sake i hope not. I've written incest stories and used it as a plot device to build tension, increased the embarrassment factor, etc...
 
Do the stories have readers and half decent ratings and comments? If so, there are readers who like them. In any event, the writer probably enjoyed writing it.
 
I know this is an author thread but the best authors are readers so I'm asking...

I've seen a lot of stories where one character calls the other names the whole time. (Whore, slut, bitch) and it doesn't necessarily fit the theme of the story. So I have to ask. Is this a turn on? Is it common to be turned on by those words even when it's not a degradation story?

Thanks!

You, as the author, are the only one who can imbue your character with a 'personality'. If you've created a man who uses such words, then, let him do it!
 
I dug through my twitter to find this:

https://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/what-she-wants-to-hear-dirty-talk-2017-10

It's what women like hearing during dirty talk.


There was also another study which showed that a lot of women DO like being called 'slut' and 'whore' but of course under the right context and how it's said.


But you're right, it has to fit the story. It would be out of place in a romance story, but works just find in bdsm.
 
Frankly, it depends on the story, the characterization, the intended audience, the author themselves... there's just too many variables to say for certain just why a particular author may have written something that struck a jarring note.

As an example, in my Turkey Tale, I was cruising along for several screens building up a pair of characters that were almost painfully shy, with lots of emotional scars. Then, when I got to the sex scene, I had the girl bust out with word choices once they were alone that confused the first person male protag and threw him out of the moment.

About a screen later, back out of the room, I had the guy confront the girl and she got embarrassed about it and backed him off, stating that she only liked that kind of talk when she was in that room with the door shut and locked.

So, in my case, it was a pointed effort to get at the psychological underpinnings of the characters. To wit; she was a bit "raunchier" in the moment while he was a little more romantic in his approach.

Personally, as the author, it made me squirm just a bit to write it as I did. And not in a good way. But, the backstories of the two characters pretty much insisted, to my mind at least, that it had to play out that way and couldn't work any other.

I realize that wasn't precisely what you mentioned in the OP, but I think it might could be relevant. The author could have been poking at the shell of the character and found a vile lecher beneath the thin veneer of civilized behavior, the mask he wore outside the bedroom.

Or, maybe the author opened their trench coat and flashed their own personality for a moment. It's impossible to tell.
 
One character demeaning the other is probably a turn on for some, but certainly not for everyone. Now, two characters, each trying to out-dirty-talk the other, I can find amusing and erotic at the same time. Especially if we, the readers, know that they truly love each other underneath it all.
 
Back
Top