Have the HTML rules changed for submissions?

Hypoxia

doesn't watch television
I just had a story submission rejected. The message:
Please remove all HTML, CSS, or other webpage and word processor notation other than HTML tags: <center></center> ( do not use paragraph alignment), <I></I><B></B><U></U>, — and  . Our submission form is designed to adjust plain text to the webpages so anything other than text and a few HTML codes interferes with getting the poem or story posted. Thanks!
Notice that <blockquote> isn't in there. I have recently had stories approved that contained structures like:

<blockquote><center>This line
and this line
and this line too.</center></blockquote>
¨
Using <blockquote> keeps those lines together so they display as:

This line
and this line
and this line too.​

Without <blockquote> each CR/LF causes an extra LF so they display as:

This line

and this line

and this line too.​

The rejection message accompanied a story that had exactly the same use of <blockquote> as stories accepted a couple weeks ago. Has anyone else tried to use <blockquote> lately? With what results?

I just had a story submission rejected. The message:

Notice that <blockquote> isn't in there. I have recently had stories approved that contained structures like:

<blockquote><center>This line
and this line
and this line too.</center></blockquote>
¨
Using <blockquote> keeps those lines together so they display as:

This line
and this line
and this line too.​

Without <blockquote> each CR/LF causes an extra LF so they display as:

This line

and this line

and this line too.​

The rejection message accompanied a story that had exactly the same use of <blockquote> as stories accepted a couple weeks ago. Has anyone else tried to use <blockquote> lately? With what results?

Actually, if you are going to use <center></center> there is no need for <blockquote></blockquote> even if you do put Paragraphs (hard return) between lines.

Blockquote is used to indent within or including an entire paragraph. The indent will be five characters at each end of each line within the blockquote tags. The more blockquote tags you use the farther in the indent is...five characters for each set of tags.

But using Center tags in conjunction with Blockquote tags is redundant.

Actually, if you are going to use <center></center> there is no need for <blockquote></blockquote> even if you do put Paragraphs (hard return) between lines.

Blockquote is used to indent within or including an entire paragraph. The indent will be five characters at each end of each line within the blockquote tags. The more blockquote tags you use the farther in the indent is...five characters for each set of tags.

But using Center tags in conjunction with Blockquote tags is redundant.

My LIT experience with <center> alone is: hard returns generate blank lines.
My LIT experience with <blockquote) is: hard CRs do NOT generate more CRs.
My LIT experience with other multiline HTML tags (<i> and <b>) is inconsistent.

On my LIT pieces, nothing but <blockquote> doesn't insert blank lines.

Yeah, I'll have to take this to Laurel.

Be sure to report back what you find out. Curious minds are . . . well, curious - hence the adjective, you know?

Surprising, I have never had a problem with any of the above.

Hard CRs act in HTML
just like they do
here on the forums.​

If I use center and indent here
on the forums
there is really nothing different
than if I used just center.

The same for HTML.​

I would go back and check that the sourse doesn't have extra CRs in it and that all the tags are closed in the proper order.

You do have to close tags in the order they were opened...in some cases.

I would go back and check that the sourse doesn't have extra CRs in it and that all the tags are closed in the proper order.

You do have to close tags in the order they were opened...in some cases.
I've been hand-coding HTML since about 1995 (I think I still have a HoTMetaL Pro CD in my old media stash) so I'm rather familiar with the conventions. I preview all my pasted-text LIT submissions before committing, to ensure I haven't screwed the pooch. Lines just do not render the same in Preview as in the final LIT form, which makes previews a bit dicey -- but that's the best I've got.

But back to my basic question: Has <blockquote> been deprecated at LIT? Guess I'll get an answer from Laurel. Eventually.

I've been hand-coding HTML since about 1995 (I think I still have a HoTMetaL Pro CD in my old media stash) so I'm rather familiar with the conventions. I preview all my pasted-text LIT submissions before committing, to ensure I haven't screwed the pooch. Lines just do not render the same in Preview as in the final LIT form, which makes previews a bit dicey -- but that's the best I've got.

But back to my basic question: Has <blockquote> been deprecated at LIT? Guess I'll get an answer from Laurel. Eventually.

Not to my knowledge. Although they may have found that it could compromise something or other under HTML5 so they might not like having us use it anymore, but you would think that someone, Laurel or Manu, would post something to that effect.

No, it has not. :rose:

Back