Mattresses~!

KoPilot

Obscene Epicene
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Posts
2,444
So I'm in the market for a new mattress! My current one is 10+ years old and is kind of like a cheese danish now: mushy in the middle and hard around the sides.

I'm a side and belly sleeper, and I don't really know what kind of mattress my body likes best. I guess I just need to go start laying on some, but I'm kind of leaning toward a japanese-style floor mattress for simplicity's (and the wallet's) sake. I know that I used to get really great sleep in a relative's guest bed; it's super dense, like a bunch of blankets piled on top of one another, though not "hard" per se.

What kinds of mattresses do you all like bestest?
 
So I'm in the market for a new mattress! My current one is 10+ years old and is kind of like a cheese danish now: mushy in the middle and hard around the sides.

I'm a side and belly sleeper, and I don't really know what kind of mattress my body likes best. I guess I just need to go start laying on some, but I'm kind of leaning toward a japanese-style floor mattress for simplicity's (and the wallet's) sake. I know that I used to get really great sleep in a relative's guest bed; it's super dense, like a bunch of blankets piled on top of one another, though not "hard" per se.

What kinds of mattresses do you all like bestest?

I currently have a pretty firm mattress. It has an inner structure that keeps it quite firm, even though it is several years old. I thought I liked it until I started traveling for work and staying at Marriott's and Double Trees and finding out what it is like to sleep on a super soft, sink right in up to your chin mattress :) I am sooooo getting a new one as soon as I can!!
 
My Grandmother used to have a really old high frame wooden bed filled with a several thick, goose down hand made mattresses. I had to use a stool to get on the bed, but on those few special occasions I slept in it, it was wonderful. I never slept that good on anything else.

Otherwise, any mattress on the floor is what I prefer. I love to sleep as low as I can get. Sadly, I only have a normal bed right now.
 
I did the Thai style 'mattrasses', which are mats stacked together to something resembling a mattrass but feeling like a wooden plank. They made me wake up with numb hands in the middle of the night. No.

Soft ones are not my fav either. My lower back starts feeling insecure and insists it has to keep shit together with pure muscle strength because the mattrass cannot be trusted. Ouch.

Conclusion: I'm goldielocks.
 
I splashed out (insert joke here) on a new pocket-sprung mattress last year, and it was one of the best investments I ever made. It holds each inch of you individually but without sinking in like a foam mattress. And it holds up very well to...energetic workouts with no squeaking, which is important in the middle house of three!
 
Also, if you are buying in Pakistan, make sure you ask very clearly for a mattress and not a madrassa. The latter can give you very bad dreams indeed.
 
I need a new one too, I've learned that you don't always get what you pay for with mattresses. My last one (a $400 pillow top) lasted way longer and held up better than this $1000 one. So I'm kind of at a loss advice wise.

All I'm certain of is that I want a cheese Danish something awful now!
 
If you like firm, try a memory foam one. I can't stand them, I love the overstuffed goose down futon I sleep on most nights now.

Bitch to clean though.
 
I know you are looking for a reasonably priced option, but I am a very loyal Sleep Number customer. I love that I can adjust it as I want to depending on what's going on with my body. I have had mine for 11 years so far and it has held up really well as it feels the same as it did brand new. I also love that it breaks down the way it does as the option to replace a part of the set up is more economical than having to replace the entire thing if it came down to it.

Of all the things to spend $ on, I will always be willing to spend premium for the right mattress and bedding as it's the one place I spend the most time each day and really good sleep is core to sound health.

Also, it's worth it to really take the time to find the RIGHT pillow for how you typically sleep as well. If the problems you have are with your neck and arms, it might have more to do with your pillow than the mattress.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that foam contributes to fibromyalgia. I never had any problems with that until I started sleeping on a memory foam bed. I switched mattresses and it went away.

Don't get a mattress that you can't flip over. It reduces the life of it.
 
I like squishy mattresses.

A recommendation as far as price is concerned: When I bought my (wonderful) mattress, the store I got it from had an area where they sold mattresses that had been discontinued by their manufacturers. There was nothing wrong with them; it wasn't like a scratch-and-dent thing or anything, and they all still had their full warranties. They had just been marked down, price-wise, because they were no longer making them and wanted to get them off the floor in order to bring in new stuff.

So, basically, I got a very good mattress for about half the price I would've paid for it had it been one that was still being manufactured. :) I've had it since 2006, and I have zero complaints.

So that's (maybe) a thought for how to get what you're looking for without spending as much as you perhaps otherwise would.
 
If you like firm, try a memory foam one. I can't stand them, I love the overstuffed goose down futon I sleep on most nights now.

Bitch to clean though.

I love my memory foam pillow, and I love my husband's memory foam mattress top. We can't afford a full mattress, and I've laid on one and it feels wayy weirder than just the topper, so we won't be going that route, haha.

Fwiw I've been eyeing a company called Tuft and Needle that makes shikibuton-style mattresses. They're handmade in the US and pretty cost-effective because they're not traditional mattresses, but when I get a job again I'll give em a go because they've got a 30 day trial period and free shipping both ways. :D But I'm figuring out what to do if that doesn't work out.

I like firm, but... I'm learning that there's more than one kind of firm. :\
 
The best mattress I ever had was a platform bed mattress (no springs, just pad/whatevertheyuse?) from IKEA. Absolutely amazing. My parents had a similar one in their guest bed that was WAY way WAY too firm for me...but as soon as we got a soft IKEA mattress topper, it actually ended up being a very nice combination. Another difference was that my mattress was supported by curved support beams that fit into the bed frame, whereas my parents guest bed is a large futon.
IKEA is definitely cheap as far as mattresses go. My mattress was less than 200$. However, I don't know how they fit on any bed besides IKEA beds. I would definitely recommend taking measurements, because I've noticed buying nonIKEA bedding for IKEA beds doesn't seem to line up quite right.
 
Excuse me you're looking for a mattress in the BDSM section.
All you get here are leather straps to sleep on.
And you'll like it
 
Back
Top