Let's Talk Jerky!

Rainshine, even if you can manage to down the vegemite, please tell me what are the redeeming characteristics of musk sticks? The candy equivalent to eating a men's underarm deodorant stick?
 
I'm so happy to live in a part of the world, where musk sticks and vegemite/marmite never took hold.

Why do you need such horrors in the Commonwealth Kitchen?
 
I'm so happy to live in a part of the world, where musk sticks and vegemite/marmite never took hold.

Why do you need such horrors in the Commonwealth Kitchen?

I bought a can of surstromming. Once. Two years later the corner of the patio where I opened it only smells when the sun is out.


I'll make my own jerky out of flank steaks or inside round...but getting some moose or venison from a hunter buddy, mmm it's like meaty woodsy man candy.
 
Check out Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning. This is what I use to make jerky at home, with out a smoker or dehydrator, It can be made with strips of lean meat (best IMHO) or ground meat (needs special equipment) and is slow cooked in the oven. They have a bunch of flavors, and easy to fallow instructions in each kit.
I looked at that site, and will have to check what's in the seasonings (we're sensitive to artificials and preservatives, so I'd like to go as natural as possible), but appreciate the review and recommendation! :rose:
I'm so happy to live in a part of the world, where musk sticks and vegemite/marmite never took hold.

Why do you need such horrors in the Commonwealth Kitchen?
Says the poster who hails from the land of delights like fermented fish, boiled sheep heads and lutefisk. :D ;) [I'm from a Scandanavian family, and grew up being grossed out by my dad consuming jars of pickled herring and lutefisk.]

Meh, every culture consumes foods that are viewed as repulsive by some. I try to just focus on what I enjoy, and not judge what others eat. :)

Anyway, Rainshine, like I said, I'm not big on meat on the whole, so the transformation to jerky is a good one for me, personally. The big appeal is that it's a quick, easy way to get the protein I need, and a much healthier meal or snack than something carb-y. If I have jerky right there, I'm far less likely to eat food that isn't all that great for me. I keep easy veggie snacks and apple slices on hand for the same reason.
 
......
Says the poster who hails from the land of delights like fermented fish, boiled sheep heads and lutefisk. :D ;) [I'm from a Scandanavian family, and grew up being grossed out by my dad consuming jars of pickled herring and lutefisk.]

Meh, every culture consumes foods that are viewed as repulsive by some. I try to just focus on what I enjoy, and not judge what others eat. :)
......

Exactly, I was just waiting for the pickled herring to come back to me.
(And it really tastes quite good.... once you are accustomed to it)

Regarding "surströmning", even most of the Swedes are scared by it (as far as I know).
 
I just heard about those musk lifesavers the other day (thanks to trivial pursuit). There's another weird flavour you have but I can't remember.
 
rainshine: hey, i'm no zombie! bad!

[trout-smacks her again, just to annoy bramblethorn]

NM: i suppose i oughta be careful, she might get crabby about it...

bramblethorn: :p

ed
 
one word for you: vegemite. :p

jerky is a method of preserving meat for when it's scarce: it arose as a nutritional necessity in the pre-refrigeration days.



erika, you rock, just like this thread title! :D

like the others observed, the possible salmonella risks of non-beef protein would make me anxious--but since i know how deliberate you are about such things i would take a shot at it if i were you: no reason you should miss out. just be wary of the possible risks.

if you wanna make some for your husband, i found this informative & educational, like anything else alton brown used to do on food network, although he only addresses beef.

ed


I got another word- Bacon. And not that Canadian shit. Us americans are good with our meat....
 
Jerky as most of you know is essentially seasoned dried meat which is a worldwide food staple. Food dehydrators or DIY smokehouses are nice to have but a kitchen oven or a sun oven will do nicely. Lean beef, venison, buffalo, elk, caribou, bear, moose and emu turn out great. A jerky shooter which uses ground beef is easiest but a good set of knives make slicing the chosen meat an easy task. Slicing the meat when it’s thawing simplifies the process too. Don’t rule out making your own pemmican either because there’s less meat loss from the dehydration process. With the pemmican meat fat is the binder, dried and pulverized meat, fruit or veggies etc make a good snack. Now as to vegemite, well I like hummus, sauerkraut and most picked veggies but I’m not going to eat something that looks and smells like that stuff.
 
[trout-smacks rainshine just for the halibut]


rainshine: hey, i'm no zombie! bad!

[trout-smacks her again, just to annoy bramblethorn]


ed


Ed brought the serious fish.


tumblr_mnvw3l6KBc1qih71no1_1280.jpg
 
Look up Alton Brown, good eats, jerky episode. Its just about red meat but it explains a number of other issues.
 
Back
Top