Pick a used car for my 16 yo

INeedLove

Soft petals
Looking for any gearhead/car enthusiast advice....

Looking for a used car or SUV for my 16 yo daughter. As you might guess, cost of the vehicle, cost to insure (basic coverage), safety and dependability are crucial. I want a US domestic brand (non-negotiable--not worth debating either).

Has anyone managed to find that unicorn car? What did you get? Are there any I should lean towards? Or away from?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!!

I want a US domestic brand (non-negotiable--not worth debating either).

You'll need to define that better. The former Big 3 (GM, Ford, Chrysler) are all owned in part or assemble their vehicles outside the US or include a significant percentage of non US made parts.

At the same time, formerly 'foreign' cars like Honda, Toyota and others are now largely made in the US.

I see you live in Michigan, I would look for an entry level Subaru personally. The Impreza which is a terrific if a bit basic vehicle is made in Lafayette Indiana.

Of the Domestic brands I am partial to Ford over the other two.

If you look hard you can find a good 6 cylinder Mustang, that's Ford.
But you have to watch your domestic brands, a lot are made in Canada or Mexico.

You may want to avoid an SUV for her first car unless you are prepared to go to the extra work of teaching her how to steer it.

Looking for a used car or SUV for my 16 yo daughter. As you might guess, cost of the vehicle, cost to insure (basic coverage), safety and dependability are crucial. I want a US domestic brand (non-negotiable--not worth debating either).

Has anyone managed to find that unicorn car? What did you get? Are there any I should lean towards? Or away from?

steer clear of any performance models--someone suggested a mustang but if this will be her first car, you want to give her something safe and slow (lol).

if domestic brands are a must, why not look at something like a Ford Escape, or one of the entry level Jeeps?

You could also go to something like a Dodge Dart or Ford Fiesta, though you'd be losing the benefits of AWD.

enjoy!

Car for 16 year old

I got my 16 year old son a Ford Focus--it had belonged to an elderly lady who had to give up her keys. It was 10 years old, but only had 50,000 miles on it. I paid $3800 cash for it, son drove it for two years, then daughter drove it for two years. I figured at that low a price, if they wrecked it I wouldn't have a cow. It ran reliably. My daughter named it Judith. I found it on Craigslist. You might give that a try.

I drive a Pontiac Vibe and love it. It's a small, crossover SUV that has served me well. And you can find it with all wheel drive if that's important to you.

Ford Taurus

A decent Taurus / sable can be had for $2,500. Have a reliable mechanic check it out for you. Even if you put another another $1,000 we'd have something that is reliable and lots of metal around your child

Choose one that has 5 star safety rating in all categories.

Here is a search tool. https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Thank you! The website will be helpful.

You may want to avoid an SUV for her first car unless you are prepared to go to the extra work of teaching her how to steer it.

She drives my SUV now and is more used to it. It's a small SUV. FWD, AWD or 4WD will be really helpful with out potential snow fall.

steer clear of any performance models--someone suggested a mustang but if this will be her first car, you want to give her something safe and slow (lol).

if domestic brands are a must, why not look at something like a Ford Escape, or one of the entry level Jeeps?

You could also go to something like a Dodge Dart or Ford Fiesta, though you'd be losing the benefits of AWD.

enjoy!

Nothing fast or sporty for her first--I totally agree. I am checking out a couple of Escapes and a Saturn Vue online. The cheaper ones have well over 100K miles.
Thanks for your help.

I got my 16 year old son a Ford Focus--it had belonged to an elderly lady who had to give up her keys. It was 10 years old, but only had 50,000 miles on it. I paid $3800 cash for it, son drove it for two years, then daughter drove it for two years. I figured at that low a price, if they wrecked it I wouldn't have a cow. It ran reliably. My daughter named it Judith. I found it on Craigslist. You might give that a try.

That's exactly the sort of deal I hope to get. How was the Focus for insurance? They have a hatchback Focus too.

I drive a Pontiac Vibe and love it. It's a small, crossover SUV that has served me well. And you can find it with all wheel drive if that's important to you.

I forgot about the Vibe. Good idea. Thank yoU!

A decent Taurus / sable can be had for $2,500. Have a reliable mechanic check it out for you. Even if you put another another $1,000 we'd have something that is reliable and lots of metal around your child

Hi RJ! That price point is really awesome. I will have to find a mechanic. We grew up with lots of metal around us (Ford LTD was my car) LOL. Thanks!

This definitely.
Also depends how what kind of driver she is (cautious or leadfoot)

A 2 or 4 door car in decent shape under 10 years old with less than 100k miles would be fine for a kids first car. If you want to teach em responsiblilty make them pay for either the car or the insurance for it.

You'll need to define that better. The former Big 3 (GM, Ford, Chrysler) are all owned in part or assemble their vehicles outside the US or include a significant percentage of non US made parts.

At the same time, formerly 'foreign' cars like Honda, Toyota and others are now largely made in the US.
Yup. My 17-year-old has a 2007 Camry. (I don't really care that the OP was asking for a 'Murikun car.)

Gear head

If you go with a Japanese car replacement parts are going to cost you an arm and a leg. In the 70's my shop rebuilt a Toyota 4 cylinder engine. Toyota wanted $1600 plus to just rebuild the engine not including the labor for removing and installing the rebuilt engine. We rebuilt the engine for around 1/3 the cost.

The safest cars are going to be the larger cars. Too many times an accident with a small car collapse either the entire engine compartment or the whole rear end.

Too many times an accident with a small car collapse either the entire engine compartment or the whole rear end.

Most cars built after the 80s will do that regardless of brand. They're designed that way. Crush Zones are intended to absorb the inertia of an accident to protect the passenger compartment.

Is it American make or is it where it was built that is important to you? Many imports are actually built in the States, due to import costs. If it's make (and you're okay with many American makes being built in either Canada or Mexico) then a Ford Focus is decent, from what I've heard. I have many friends who are satisfied with it.

While she may be used to steering an SUV, it's one thing to drive one on occasion and to drive one constantly. You may go well with a decent hatchback with a heavy engine.

Also, a stick is probably cheaper, is definitely better on gas, and frankly, I never need to lock my door because no one who would steal my car knows how to drive it. It might be a coincidence, but all my manuals were less expensive to insure than my one automatic.

Oh, just as a head's up: I have a 2-door, and I hate it. I like the car itself: though it's 13 years old, she still runs, okay mileage, excellent in (very very snowy and icy) winter and is pretty decent shape (she's an import, otherwise, I'd recommend it). But a 2 door is a pain in the ass for driving people, shopping and general life because access to the back seats is just a hassle. It is something to keep in mind.

Most cars built after the 80s will do that regardless of brand. They're designed that way. Crush Zones are intended to absorb the inertia of an accident to protect the passenger compartment.

The crush zones are not doing their intended purpose. The metal in the body is so thin that a 100lbs person can dent it. The supposed bumper is too thin and too short. Today's small cars are nothing more than mobile coffins. All you have to do is watch news reports of accidents or pay a visit to a salvage yard.

First car

Depending on where you live in Michigan will determine in you need four wheel drive, or front wheel drive. An older Ford Taurus (as mentioned above) is a solid choice. They're heavy, front wheel drive and go through the snow well. The insurance is cheaper than a newer car. You can still expect about $1200 year for insurance for a 16 new driver.
Take the time to teach her how a front wheel drive car acts and steers, in the rain and snow. I would stay away from any flashy cars, as that will attract PD attention.
Good luck :)
Ps: I'm in the exact same situation as you.

If you go with a Japanese car replacement parts are going to cost you an arm and a leg. In the 70's my shop rebuilt a Toyota 4 cylinder engine. Toyota wanted $1600 plus to just rebuild the engine not including the labor for removing and installing the rebuilt engine. We rebuilt the engine for around 1/3 the cost.

The safest cars are going to be the larger cars. Too many times an accident with a small car collapse either the entire engine compartment or the whole rear end.

Your experience is 40 years out of date. Japanese might be a little higher but not much.

And all cars are designed to crumple.

Your experience is 40 years out of date. Japanese might be a little higher but not much.

And all cars are designed to crumple.

The cars may be designed to crumple but when everything is pushed into the passenger compartment it's time to come up with a better solution.

The cars may be designed to crumple but when everything is pushed into the passenger compartment it's time to come up with a better solution.
Not driving into solid objects faster than the crumple zones are designed to handle would help. :rolleyes:

IIRC, crumple zones are only designed for an impact speed of 35 or 45 MPH because that used to be where most accidents happened and most fatalities occurred.

Not driving into solid objects faster than the crumple zones are designed to handle would help. :rolleyes:

IIRC, crumple zones are only designed for an impact speed of 35 or 45 MPH because that used to be where most accidents happened and most fatalities occurred.

FWIW, driving in the USA gets safer pretty much every year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

Car steels are about 3x as strong today as they were in the early 2000s and designs have improved too.

As several people have commented here, crumpling is a good thing. When you're in a car crash, you have a whole lot of kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated in a hurry. Dissipating it basically means destroying something; if the car body doesn't take the hit, the occupants will.

Put it this way: if you're shipping something fragile, would you rather pack it in cardboard and foam, or in a steel box?

FWIW, driving in the USA gets safer pretty much every year:

Computers, crash test dummies and ultra-slow-motion cameras help improve crumple zones and restraints. I'd be surprised if there weren't some improvement. The problem is still that people crash faster and harder than cars are designed to handle.

That would reassure me more if I didn't see so many new cars touting the weight savings of "aircraft grade aluminum" and composite fiber construction. :rolleyes: Automotive steel may be stronger than ever, but if it isn't being used it is a moot point.

Computers, crash test dummies and ultra-slow-motion cameras help improve crumple zones and restraints. I'd be surprised if there weren't some improvement. The problem is still that people crash faster and harder than cars are designed to handle.

Indeed. On the bright side, this is probably the last generation that will need to learn how to drive. I expect self-driving cars will kill a few thousand people and save millions in the long run.

I expect self-driving cars will kill a few thousand people and save millions in the long run.

If only we could genetically engineer collision avoidance into trees.

TREE_ON_CAR_WINDERMERE.jpg

Back