How to rewrite a story to make it age appropriate

Bjerget

I have great ideas!
Joined
Jun 12, 2017
Posts
7,546
So I have a story I want to tell. It's true to life- something that actually happened to me erotically, when I was a teenager. I want to rewrite it a bit to make it age appropriate for Lit. What's the best way to rewrite youthful references to make them seem congruent to a person who is a bit older (legal)?

Thanks in advance,
Shiva
 
Everyone in the story must be over the age 18.

It's simple...no one is in high school...make it college, etc.
 
So I have a story I want to tell. It's true to life- something that actually happened to me erotically, when I was a teenager. I want to rewrite it a bit to make it age appropriate for Lit. What's the best way to rewrite youthful references to make them seem congruent to a person who is a bit older (legal)?

Thanks in advance,
Shiva
There is a poster who did this and she just left off refernence to age and grade. She mentioned it happened with another member of the track team but didn't say hs or college. I assumed HS but also assumed was senior year with another senior and they were both 18. I should start making some of my stories about personal experiences rather than completely imagined situations.
 
Put a disclaimer at the beginning stating all characters are over 18 and fictional. Then omit any references that contradict that claim.
 
I guess the college thing might work. I don't know much about college as I never went, but I will have to research.
 
Is the age really all that important? Even if it's first time, you could imply that they are experimenting, but unless it's the actual age plays a vital and fundamental aspect to the story, I'd just not mention it.
 
Is the age really all that important? Even if it's first time, you could imply that they are experimenting, but unless it's the actual age plays a vital and fundamental aspect to the story, I'd just not mention it.

It's not so much the age, but the maturity level i was concerned about. I guess it's more about the setting. Basically when this all happened, I had a very young room and by the time I was college age, I didn't have any of the same stuff or decorations or toys. I was worried that that would mess up continuity.
 
It's not so much the age, but the maturity level i was concerned about. I guess it's more about the setting. Basically when this all happened, I had a very young room and by the time I was college age, I didn't have any of the same stuff or decorations or toys. I was worried that that would mess up continuity.

Try vague use of the 'college' and 'late bloomer' monikers?
 
It's not so much the age, but the maturity level i was concerned about. I guess it's more about the setting. Basically when this all happened, I had a very young room and by the time I was college age, I didn't have any of the same stuff or decorations or toys. I was worried that that would mess up continuity.

Are the decorations relevant to the story? If not, omit them.
 
Write it as a role play. As a 20-year-old who dresses up and pretends to be a lot younger.
 
Not sure that's permitted here.
I think you're right. Laurel told me that a character APPEARING to be underage is verboten.

OP isn't familiar with college? Place the players, still living at home (and not in a big city), into a community / junior college. Such schools often function as extensions of the local high school, but everyone's over 18.

I've written many pieces involving over-18 HS seniors. My problem is making the youngish characters TOO mature, like they're fairly rational when they hit voting age, right. It doesn't hurt to make everybody dumb, anxious, and hormonal. I'll have to try that. :)
 
Denny

Simple, I just started our stories at the time my wife was 18. I am two years older so everyone was 18 or older.

No one under 18 ever has sex........................:rolleyes:
 
I could write a novel about my under age escapades...:)
 
I've dealt with this too. A couple true life events that I've written about took place when I was in high school. Everyone else was the same age (w/in a couple years). One thing that was puzzling to me years ago was that the character still lived at home. That (back then) screamed HIGH SCHOOL, but nowadays, lots of college grads live at home. So the meaning (of living at home) is different.
 
Interesting that this issue has appeared before - less than a year ago.

I wonder what "appearing" young exactly means - merely clothes and manners?

Or actually posing as underage? (Wasn't there a movie or TV show where cops infiltrate a high school by posing as students? My pop cultural memory is failing me.)
 
I wonder what "appearing" young exactly means - merely clothes and manners?
Laurel, site owner and goddess incarnate, says if readers perceive a character as appearing underage, that's a violation. No ageless immortals who never reached puberty. No cute ancient humanoid aliens. No cheating. And no thinking about underage sex.

Escape route: On LIT, all high school seniors are 18 or over. They're a dim crowd.
 
Somewhere else

You need to use another website. underage stories lose their effect when you try to make them appropriate. It’s a fetish. It would be like trying to make a rape story appropriate. Sure, you could remove the rape altogether and insert a missionary sex scene. But that would make it a different story. You could also have all parties consent. Again, it’s a different story.

This site has banned underage stories. They make some people uncomfortable or disgusted. Well, unless they like the thought of hurting children. An underage story is a story about child abuse. That doesn’t seem to be your intent. There are nonfiction books about children who were sexually abused.

As far as age play. Is one character acting like a child to be taken care of in a non-erotic way, or is one character playing the role of a pedophile? If you aren’t sure, the story probably won’t be appropriate even if you tried.

Making child abuse appropriate seems like an oxymoron. But, there will always be those that get off to it. They have their own websites. But why are rape stories ok? They are both about crimes. However, possession of porn dealing with the subject matter is a serious crime for only one of them. So, it’s not just a dumb rule.
 
Anyone want to read these privately?

If anyone would like to read a couple of role play stories about this issue, I could send them privately. I guess I'd have to use email because PMs don't handle Word attachments. (Or could the PM handle the entire text inside the message itself?)

These were written last year before I joined this site. Actually there are two in which adults imagine themselves back in high school and one in which one adult plays an adult and the other plays a high school student.

It would probably take me a few days to review the material again before sending it.
 
I had been asking about the technical capabilities of PMs. Thank you.

Do you personally want to read one or two of my stories?
 
If you are uncomfortable about writing about college, make the characters high school seniors. Say or imply that they are 18, and contain a disclaimer at the beginning. Don't describe them in a way that makes them appear younger than that.

Many stories here fit this mold and get away with having high school seniors have lots of sex without running afoul of Laurel's restrictions.
 
Actually the characters are college age or twenty-something people who are role-playing as high school students. But I only have about three scenes like that, and I have other material that doesn't push the age-limit boundary.

I have no problem with the restrictions the site requests about this.
 
Back
Top