Which Disney Movie Plagiarized Your Life Story?

That is true, and though it's particularly clear with Disney it's also true of other media. There's a thesis in that if it hasn't already been written.

My Disney Movie is Fantasia, of course. Every scene could have been lifted from my diary. Uncanny.

I wondered what that animator was doing following me around.

Yeah, this is a major theme in young-adult movies and literature: the parents are absent, and the young protagonist needs to make their way in the world without them. Disney leans toward focusing on female protagonists, so if it's not going to be both parents absent, at least the mother is absent. Because parents are a total buzzkill in YA. Kids read in part to escape their lives at home (even if they have happy lives) and want to imagine needing to make decisions for themselves.

On the Missing Parents Theme....

That is true, and though it's particularly clear with Disney it's also true of other media. There's a thesis in that if it hasn't already been written.
Oh, it's already been written. Comes from classic fairytales. The mom is dead, and dad is ineffectual (or also dead). Why? Because all such tales are coming-of-age stories and a chid can't come of age if the parents are still there to protect, feed, and shelter them. They have to be thrown out of the nest to fly. Hence, a mean step-mom* to toss out the girl with no objection from dad as, back in olden times, a girl wouldn't leave home otherwise--unlike a boy who might go off on his own. Which, in most fairytales, boys do when a challenge arises like: "Kingdom X will give princess away to anyone who can rid them of Y..."

*(Special note: some of the original fairytales had mean moms, not step-moms. But the Brothers Grimm didn't want anyone disrespecting moms, so they changed a lot of the mean moms to step-moms and solidified that stereotype)

To be fair, however, there is also some validity to the dead mom theme in fairytales. Prior to the 20th century, the number one killer of women was childbirth. They either died during it or afterwards from infection. Or just died because there was no birth control and kid after kid exhausted and malnourished them to death. Women may now outlive men (slightly) but back then women were lucky to live to age 40. And if dad loses a wife, well, he needs a new one to look after the kids. Enter step-mom who might have kids of her own and might favor them over her step-daughter.

Of course, times have changed and Disney has become more modern of late. Rapunzel in "Tangled" had both parents living (she'd just been kidnapped), as did Merida in "Brave." The Frozen sisters also had a loving mom and dad but, alas, lost them. Because, even when one modifies the fairytale (no parents in the original "Snow Queen story") to include parents, they still interfere with that "coming-of-age" theme.

Which is why almost all kids books get the parents out of the way somehow or other. Nothing like a parent to interfere with an adventure. Can you imagine if Harry Potter had had his mum and dad there to run interference? ;)

Last edited:
Oh, it's already been written. Comes from classic fairytales. The mom is dead, and dad is ineffectual (or also dead). Why? Because all such tales are coming-of-age stories and a chid can't come of age if the parents are still there to protect, feed, and shelter them. They have to be thrown out of the nest to fly. Hence, a mean step-mom* to toss out the girl with no objection from dad as, back in olden times, a girl wouldn't leave home otherwise--unlike a boy who might go off on his own. Which, in most fairytales, boys do when a challenge arises like: "Kingdom X will give princess away to anyone who can rid them of Y..."

*(Special note: some of the original fairytales had mean moms, not step-moms. But the Brothers Grimm didn't want anyone disrespecting moms, so they changed a lot of the mean moms to step-moms and solidified that stereotype)

To be fair, however, there is also some validity to the dead mom theme in fairytales. Prior to the 20th century, the number one killer of women was childbirth. They either died during it or afterwards from infection. Or just died because there was no birth control and kid after kid exhausted and malnourished them to death. Women may now outlive men (slightly) but back then women were lucky to live to age 40. And if dad loses a wife, well, he needs a new one to look after the kids. Enter step-mom who might have kids of her own and might favor them over her step-daughter.

Of course, times have changed and Disney has become more modern of late. Rapunzel in "Tangled" had both parents living (she'd just been kidnapped), as did Merida in "Brave." The Frozen sisters also had a loving mom and dad but, alas, lost them. Because, even when one modifies the fairytale (no parents in the original "Snow Queen story") to include parents, they still interfere with that "coming-of-age" theme.

Which is why almost all kids books get the parents out of the way somehow or other. Nothing like a parent to interfere with an adventure. Can you imagine if Harry Potter had had his mum and dad there to run interference? ;)

A very full and fascinating response - thank you. You are entirely right, and I didn't know about the Brothers Grimm changing their tales. Really interesting.

A very full and fascinating response - thank you. You are entirely right, and I didn't know about the Brothers Grimm changing their tales. Really interesting.
Oh, the Brothers made a lot of interesting changes. They made punishments of the wicked worse and more gruesome, and anytime they ran across a story where the girl didn't do much to get the prince, they changed it so that she was a domestic drudge. Girls always had to earn their happily-ever-afters. The boys, interestingly, did not.

Not all the mean moms were replaced by a step-mom, by the by. Hansel & Gretel still has a mom rather than step-mom.

"The Emperor's New Groove"

I feel a little bit like Kuzco....
One of my fave Disney moves, actually :D I often fell a great deal like Yzma "Why me?" And, of course, I have a secret lab just like hers :devil:

I was going to say when Cinderella ran off with a biker and started a chain of mayhem with Snow White at her back but I was too sleepy at that point to continue the sentence. Watch the Disney Channel and you see yourself but it is also where childhood goes to die.

I was going to say when Cinderella ran off with a biker and started a chain of mayhem with Snow White at her back but I was too sleepy at that point to continue the sentence. Watch the Disney Channel and you see yourself but it is also where childhood goes to die.

I miss the quality of the old Pixar Studios. Not seeing their jumping lantern logo at the beginning of a movie slightly depresses me. :)

Montanos

Last edited:
I was going to say when Cinderella ran off with a biker and started a chain of mayhem with Snow White at her back but I was too sleepy at that point to continue the sentence.
Are you sure you weren't to grumpy, bashful, happy or dopey to continue it? :confused:

Back