Patting the backs and tooting each others horns

champagne1982 said:
Well, I'm tentatively sticking my toe out of the closet and bragging a bit...

Read my poem in the Red River Review August '07 issue.

The poem is lovely, and I'm very happy for you. Well done, Champ!

:rose:

ghost_girl said:
the zine that Champ's poem is in, made this list here---

Top 20 Best online literary magazines

congrats again, champ!!

Yes, I've heard of it and knew it's a well-respected journal. It just goes to show how much talent is here. I've been to other forums, but I think we consistently have the most fun and the best writers online here.

ghost_girl said:
the zine that Champ's poem is in, made this list here---

Top 20 Best online literary magazines

congrats again, champ!!
I remember you offering that link in this and another forum ghosty girl. Thank you for posting it. I feel honoured to be in company with a few other lit alumni who have been published and featured in the review. TheRainMan's siggy line took me there a while ago to read some marvellous poetry and when you left the link on a thread around here, I just had to try. I'm happy to have done so.

Thanks to all of you who provide endless encouragement and unfailing quality critique on this forum. Without your untouted help, I don't doubt many poets would fail to recognize their hidden potential. You're amazing.

Last edited:
champagne1982 said:
I remember you offering that link in this and another forum ghosty girl. Thank you for posting it. I feel honoured to be in company with a few other lit alumni who have been published and featured in the review. TheRainMan's siggy line took me there a while ago to read some marvellous poetry and when you left the link on a thread around here, I just had to try. I'm happy to have done so.

Thanks to all of you who provide endless encouragement and unfailing quality critique on this forum. Without your untouted help, I don't doubt many poets would fail to recognize their hidden potential. You're amazing.
It's nice to hear good news. Hope you have more good news to share in the future. :)

champagne1982 said:

This is excellent, Champie. Congratulations and well done! :rose::rose:

I realized in searching through ghost_girl's link to the best online literary sites that two of our poets (maybe more, but they'll have to step up and say so) are published in the journals listed. Champagne is in Red River Review and Denis Hale is in Stirring. That's pretty impressive. There's some real quality poetry being written here, and these writers are proof of it.

champagne1982 said:

Way ta go! You make your fellow igloo-ists proud!

i haven't read right the way through this thread, but how great to see people here are getting published. being brand new to this poetry thing, i'm not even considering that yet, if ever, but if i can ask you guys who have made into a publication... what does it feel like to have that happen?

Congrats Carrie! Don't think of it as bragging, think of it as giving us a chance to celebrate with you!!! I always love it when people let us know what they have out.

champagne1982 said:

Thanks Maria! I am beginning to feel more Southern, and some say I was born to live down here, just took me awhile to find my way home.

~J

ghost_girl said:
Darling Anna,

didnt anyone tell you? If you werent born Southern, you have to have a sponsor!!

and I think by the looks of it, you have more than a few, umm, sponsors, that is

love you!

:heart:

OMG! I just wentther and read your work. When you said silly poem, my first thought was the one about the pork-- nine hundred different versions poem, and then the cow, lol. God, you're so good. And Five wagons, always left me breathless, like I was waiting, too. Youre so gifted, I am in awe, as always.

Angeline said:
Make that three poets with poems posted at the best online literature sites. :)

you are a good detective :) and I can think of two others....

oop unless you were talking current-- good to see Dennis at Stirring been awhile since I was there (got a lot of help here with this one http://www.sundress.net/stirring/archives/v8/e3/vanburenj.htm and I know Patrick was there, I can't find his poem in the archives!

Here is Dennis again in Stirring.

It is crazy, I cannot find his stuff at Red River or Stirring, all that is showing up on Google is links to his bio from other sites :rolleyes: bizarre. I know he was there. Harumph I give up. Must make blueberry pancakes. And the blueberries are nothing like those in Maine, I remember hiking some mountain after college up there, and the only thing that kept me going were the blueberry breaks. Manna from heaven!

Last edited:
annaswirls said:
thanks for posting this! I have to read over their list, surprised Pedastal was not on there, and a few I had never heard of before to go check out.

well, I for one wont submit there anymore.... he turned down 4 of mine that were since accepted elsewhere. and 3 of them made anthologies. he can have his, poetry site :D

I just can't figure out what he wants, unless it is my lack of a degree that he sees first and foremost. I would lie, but that would be a stupid thing to do, and if that is why he turned me down, i dont want to be in there anyway...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey Anna!! okay, I will beyour official Southern sponsor. whip me up some fried chicken and apple pie and youre in

ghost_girl said:
well, I for one wont submit there anymore.... he turned down 4 of mine that were since accepted elsewhere. and 3 of them made anthologies. he can have his, poetry site :D

I just can't figure out what he wants, unless it is my lack of a degree that he sees first and foremost. I would lie, but that would be a stupid thing to do, and if that is why he turned me down, i dont want to be in there anyway...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey Anna!! okay, I will beyour official Southern sponsor. whip me up some fried chicken and apple pie and youre in

Yeah, I gave up there too. Hard to know when to keep on trying, you know? I know at M.E. we have to turn away perfectly wonderful absolutely amazing poetry every issue, and some people keep on trying and wind up in there but I do understand why you would take your poetry elsewhere, it deserves to be read :)

There are SO many sites out there that I (and you and everyone we know :) ) have never submitted to, I have only a smidge of time to do anything at all, why keep sending to a place that has turned you down, especially if you do not really even like the place that much. I love Stirring and tried after they rejected my work because it is such a beautiful place. I have to get this fall issue done so I can send more stuff out. I got some into the summer issue ofLaura Hird but she still has her spring issue up for some reason! Hope she is okay.

and poohoo to the degree. I want to start a site that only allows people who do not have a MFA, are not creative writing instructors, do not have a book published, etc. But don't quote me on that because I cannot even keep up with Mannequin Envy!

Fried chicken? um...is is okay if I bring it from Golden Chicken?

I make a mean red beans and rice.....

wait, are you saying that he rejected 4 poems from one submission or four separate submissions of poetry? If you mean just one rejection of four poems, you should consider trying again :) They get a zillion submissions. I think I have gotten 2 separate rejections from them a couple of years ago. Now I feel like I can't submit there anymore because poetry editor Arlene Ang has been at Mannequin a couple of times and John Amen will be in our fall issue. (there is a little tease... it should be up in a week or so)

oh all this talk is giving me the submission bug..... it has not bitten me since early spring...

ghost_girl said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

annaswirls said:
wait, are you saying that he rejected 4 poems from one submission or four separate submissions of poetry? If you mean just one rejection of four poems, you should consider trying again :) They get a zillion submissions. I think I have gotten 2 separate rejections from them a couple of years ago. Now I feel like I can't submit there anymore because poetry editor Arlene Ang has been at Mannequin a couple of times and John Amen will be in our fall issue. (there is a little tease... it should be up in a week or so)

oh all this talk is giving me the submission bug..... it has not bitten me since early spring...

it was three submissions of a total of 7 poems. I'm just not "good enough" for pedestal, but good enough for Kakalak, twice, among others.

nah, that one isnt on my list anymore. Im aiming higher

and you know, being Southern is an inside feeling, and youve had it all along. i was just teasing you. but still, some fried chicken and aple pie would hit the spot right about now...

speaking of Kakalak...

Here's an email I received from Kakalak, concerning poetry readings in the NC/SC area. I know there are a few people here that live in the Carolinas, and thought maybe they would like to go to a reading...so here is the email....with dates and people who will be there. Try to go if you can, it should be great! and no, I wont be there ;)

Anna, aren't a couple of the people listed in ME?

:)

Hi, Everybody!

We are making good progress in fleshing out our line-ups for the upcoming Kakalak 2007 Readings. We still have room for more (but not unlimited room) on all the programs. See below for a list of those who are scheduled to read, based on the responses we have received as of today (8/25/07). If I have inadvertently omitted your name, or if you wish to add you name to any or all of these lists, please let me know via reply to this message. We have no artists signed up to speak yet, and I want to emphasize the Kakalak Artists are very welcome at all these events. Last year several artists did participate, and each showed his or her work to the audience and gave a short talk about their painting, drawing or photo.

Saturday, September 15, 7 PM, Barnes & Noble, Arboretum Shopping Center, Charlotte

Marisa Rosenfeld

Andrew E. Kalnik

Gail Peck

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr.

Kim Blum-Hyclak

Jenny Minchew

Diana Pinckney

Leslie Rupracht

Heather Collings

Laura S. Moore

David Poston

Alice Toporoff Wallace

Saturday, September 22, 5 PM, The Blue Bicycle, Charleston

Heather Collings

Diana Pinckney

Dennis Stiles

Pat Riviere-Seel

Gil Allen

Prudence Greene

Kit Loney

S. Craig Renfroe, Jr.

Jonathan Sanchez

Saturday, October 6, 11 AM, McIntyre's Fine Books & Bookends, Fearrington Village, Pittsboro, NC

The format for this program will be different insofar as the featured reader will go first, followed by the Kakalak Readers.

Alex Grant (featured reader and winner of the 2006 Kakalak Poetry Prize)

Sally Buckner

Pat Riviere-Seel

Your name here.

We would like to have some more of you folks from Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill participate in this one.

Saturday, October 13, 7 PM, Joseph Beth Booksellers, South Park Shopping Center, Charlotte

Kim Blum-Hyclak

Jenny Minchew

Diana Pinckney

Pat Rivere-Seel

Dennis Stiles

Genie Cotner

Laura S. Moore

David Poston

Alice Toporoff Wallace

Terri McCord

Leslie Ruprach

We are still hoping to arrange a reading in the Asheville area.

Time permitting, the editors will each read a poem for a Kakalak Poet who was not able to attend.

We hope to see you soon!

Richard Allen Taylor, Co-Editor
Kakalak Anthology of Carolina Poets
http://www.kakalak.net/

annaswirls said:
you are a good detective :) and I can think of two others....

oop unless you were talking current-- good to see Dennis at Stirring been awhile since I was there (got a lot of help here with this one http://www.sundress.net/stirring/archives/v8/e3/vanburenj.htm and I know Patrick was there, I can't find his poem in the archives!

It is crazy, I cannot find his stuff at Red River or Stirring, all that is showing up on Google is links to his bio from other sites :rolleyes: bizarre. I know he was there. Harumph I give up. Must make blueberry pancakes. And the blueberries are nothing like those in Maine, I remember hiking some mountain after college up there, and the only thing that kept me going were the blueberry breaks. Manna from heaven!

EE's oldest boy had a job raking blueberries last summer. It's very hard, dirty work but the berries are great. I made blueberry buckle twice last week because the local berries are in season now and so good.

I've listed in my mind the published poets I've met here and it's an impressive group. We're prolific writers and we're published in great journals. I can think of a half-dozen Lit poets who have chapbooks published. I'm proud of us. :)

Angeline said:
EE's oldest boy had a job raking blueberries last summer. It's very hard, dirty work but the berries are great. I made blueberry buckle twice last week because the local berries are in season now and so good.

I've listed in my mind the published poets I've met here and it's an impressive group. We're prolific writers and we're published in great journals. I can think of a half-dozen Lit poets who have chapbooks published. I'm proud of us. :)

Sis, for what it's worth, I almost feel like my poetry soul was born here amongst you wonderful people. I'm proud of us too, and just imagine us all together, when we get old, sitting around, doing whatever, remembering our old silly stuff from here, and how it managed to shape us, feed us and strip us bare when we needed to be stripped bare ...

yeah, Lit is a good place. I'm very thankful

oh yeah, we lost all of our blueberries this season to an Easter freeze ( which, in this growing zone, is really rare). and 90% of our peaches and the watermelons had to be replanted and most of them were barely pink inside and had no flavor. this has been an awful season for fruit in SC.

ghost_girl said:
Sis, for what it's worth, I almost feel like my poetry soul was born here amongst you wonderful people. I'm proud of us too, and just imagine us all together, when we get old, sitting around, doing whatever, remembering our old silly stuff from here, and how it managed to shape us, feed us and strip us bare when we needed to be stripped bare ...

yeah, Lit is a good place. I'm very thankful

oh yeah, we lost all of our blueberries this season to an Easter freeze ( which, in this growing zone, is really rare). and 90% of our peaches and the watermelons had to be replanted and most of them were barely pink inside and had no flavor. this has been an awful season for fruit in SC.

I feel the same way. I knew I wanted to write from the time I was 7 or 8 years old, and I wrote poetry, I wrote song lyrics with a musician I was dating in high school. I majored in English in college and I taught it and worked for literacy programs for years. Writing really has always been my focus, but here is where I got the confidence to send stuff out for publication. Judo and smithpeter and Eve and Lauren were good to me. Judo got me writing form poems and smithpeter and I wrote jazz poetry together. I know I'll always be in contact with some people I've met here, well lol like ee. I'll be mrs. ee pretty soon. So I would say this place has been very important in my life. :D

Last edited:
champagne1982 said:

congratulations, Champ. :rose:

annaswirls said:

and Dennis. :)

Angeline said:
Make that three poets with poems posted at the best online literature sites. :)

and ghost girl. :rose:

did i miss anybody? :) . . . anna, at Southern Hum . . . :rose:

there are really a lot of very talented writers here.

it's a good place.

Hey everybody. It’s really been pleasant browsing, clicking through these posts and sharing the triumphs, enjoying the elevated public recognition of – let me call you my friends, ¿si?

I’m hoping someone here can help me figure something out. I somewhat accidentally stumbled upon a blog recently which during the month of April this year, attempted to post a poem every day. As a result of what I found there, I am having some confusing and mixed feelings. Here are the authors whose poems she posted:

Shel Silverstein, Louise Glück, Langston Hughes, Sharon Olds, Mark Strand, Eloise Greenfield, Pablo Neruda, Sonia Sanchez, Chief Dan George, Maya Angelou, Robert Creeley, Naomi Shihab Nye, Tom McDaniel, Denise Duhamel, Dylan Thomas, Cynthia Rylant, W.S. Merwin, Nikki Giovanni, Octavio Paz, Anne Sexton, Kenneth Patchen, Lucille Clifton, Matsuo Basho [Translated by Robert Hass], and Mina Loy [as an original manuscript photo].

The only one of the poets listed here who is not famous in poetry circles is me, and my poem was the only one accompanied by a copyright notice.

I know the other poems are copyrighted too, but when poems are taken from books of poetry, I’m not quite sure what satisfies the “fair use” doctrine. Of course, it’s not like the blog is a money-making site or anything; and most poets are generally happy to have their work shuffled around under other peoples’ noses, myself included. On the other hand, a nice letter, a cup of coffee, or a dinner date with the lady might have been nice!

How should I feel, annaswirls? (She nipped it from your e-zine.) I feel slightly offended, and want to write a thank-you letter at the same time!

Dibs on the crazy-chair! *sigh*

Back