Saved and lost!

I wonder how many, like me, have saved a part written story, and then lost it.

Probably, half the story written, when I wanted to cross reference to a previous, older story, I had two text documents open at the same time.

Although, I have no idea what I actually did wrong, but somehow I saved incorrectly.

So today, when I open - shit! I now have the older story twice, and the new part written, gone.

Two days work, down the drain.

Last edited:
Found!

Probably, half the story written, when I wanted to cross reference to a previous, older story, I had two text documents open at the same time.

Although, I have no idea what I actually did wrong, but somehow I saved incorrectly.

So today, when I open - shit! I now have the older story twice, and the new part written, gone.

Phew! Just found by searching temporary back up folder.
Had forgotten it was there.:)

Lost Work

I've had flash drives all of a sudden be corrupted. Make sure you back up everything.

I've had flash drives all of a sudden be corrupted. Make sure you back up everything.

I agree. I regularly back up all my stories so they are on at least two separate drives. Every once in a while I back them up onto a third seldom used drive that's purely for storage.

drive recovery

On Windows or Linux, you can frequently recover a flash drive or even a portable USB drive.

On windows.

chkdsk e: /f

where e: is the drive letter.

On Linux:

sudo unmount /dev/sdb
sudo fsck /dev/sbd

where dev/sdb is the device to check.

It didn't work for the second part of the story we lost, but that might have been fortuitous anyway. :)
-MM

I can’t say that happened to me, but I have accidentally delete huge sections of notes and ideas for dialogue to a current chapter I had been working on writing. I immediately started typing out everything I could remember while it was fresh in my head. The end result wasn’t what I intended, but ended up being better than originally drafted🌹Kant👠👠👠

Yup. If you value your work and time use version control or make backing up a sacred ritual.

Younger days I have lost week worth of tricky CAD work on a huge work project, making previously comfortable deadline next to impossible for the whole team.
It is such events that make you really believe in version control.

Then, there is a saying: manuscripts don't burn. If the story was worth anything, you have it in your head, just tell it again.

Last edited:
Hmm...never done that. The only time I lost anything was via a disk drive that crashed. I was lucky, I only lost a few hundred words of the story I was working on at the time.

I too, have multiple backups of all my stuff. I have a separate hard drive I backup to along with a flash drive.

Hmm...never done that. The only time I lost anything was via a disk drive that crashed. I was lucky, I only lost a few hundred words of the story I was working on at the time.

I too, have multiple backups of all my stuff. I have a separate hard drive I backup to along with a flash drive.

Me too.
Backing up to a floppy disk works quite well [if you have a USB external floppy. . .]

Me too.
Backing up to a floppy disk works quite well [if you have a USB external floppy. . .]

My computer has six hard drives in it and two cd/dvd burners along with 8 usb ports. I even use a usb flash drive to help boost performance of my machine.

Instead of using the disk drive for swap space it uses a flash drive.

Floppy drive? CD drive? Disk drive? Computers still have such things ;)
I don't know what I'd do without auto-save to Cloud features. I'll still put things on a flash drive occasionally but it's nice to never have to worry.

Here's what you do.
To set: Open a new Text Document page, Click tools, options, files. Here you enable, 'auto backup' and set a time - say every 5 mins.
Then it will give a folder name for where it will back up.
ie: C:\Users\pete\Desktop\Documents\Softmaker\Back up\
You can now go to this folder and you will find the document you were previously working on, within five mins, anyway, and here you can open it from that point.
If you have noticed, when in an open doc. a kind of 'flicker' every few mins, then that is when it is saving.
One warning, if you have cleared all Temporary Folders, then the work will not be there.
Another point, if you don't sometimes clear Temp folders, then this is where anayone looking on your computer, can see what you have been working on.

Floppy drive? CD drive? Disk drive? Computers still have such things ;)
I don't know what I'd do without auto-save to Cloud features. I'll still put things on a flash drive occasionally but it's nice to never have to worry.

Why would one put any 'valuable' document on someone else's computer ?
That's what the 'Cloud' is !

I am only new to this site, having decided to try and make some work for it. I actually had the first draft of Halloween part 4 almost fully written when the device I was using - my smart phone - fell on the floor and smashed. I lost everything including the first draft. I hadn't had the sense to save it somewhere else, and had to start all over again. Hence why it is taking so long to do, but I am now going back and forth between different things to keep it saved. Ideally I shouldn't be writing on a smart phone anyway but hey.

I've lost folders for work when transferring from an old hard drive to a new one. Entire folders, not just specific files. It's never a good thing.

I've lost folders for work when transferring from an old hard drive to a new one. Entire folders, not just specific files. It's never a good thing.

I discovered the 'flash drive' (ie., the thumb drive thingy). I copy a complete directory from the HD to the drive, leaving it to do it overnight (I've lost things in my impatience !)

Why would one put any 'valuable' document on someone else's computer ?
That's what the 'Cloud' is !

Actually it's called a server and they're usually concurrent and redundant.
Most processing programs (including Word) offer it as a backup option in addition to local storage.
And every valuable piece of information about you is on a server somewhere already.
That's what modern technology is! :D

Last edited:
Actually it's called a server and they're usually concurrent and redundant.
Most processing programs (including Word) offer it as a backup option in addition to local storage.
And every valuable piece of information about you is on a server somewhere already.
That's what modern technology is! :D

I realize this is logical, but I feel squeamish about saving erotic stories I've written, or erotic photos I've taken, in the cloud. It might be a bit less convenient but I prefer saving to an offline drive.

True but if you're connected to the internet all the time (I know I always am) your local security will never be as good as a server's.
*Plus you can access your documents anywhere, from any device. And if you lose all your physical storage for some reason, there's still remote storage backing you up.
Besides, most hackers are looking for sensitive personal data, not erotica- which is pretty much everywhere online anyway.
Mainly though my comment was on the obsolescence of disk related technology. Which is great because solid state hard drives and flash drives can't crash/have a disc damaged.

Last edited:
*Although even solid state drives, flash drives included, aren't suitable for long term archival purposes. They will eventually lose the electricity that keeps data in their circuits (or be physically damaged some other way). So online servers are more reliable from a long term standpoint.

*Although even solid state drives, flash drives included, aren't suitable for long term archival purposes. They will eventually lose the electricity that keeps data in their circuits (or be physically damaged some other way). So online servers are more reliable from a long term standpoint.
Stick it on an LP and you'll be able to play it in a million year's time.

Voyager has a long play record stuck to the side and a cartridge in a box, so the alien who finds it can listen to Chuck Berry.

Stick it on an LP and you'll be able to play it in a million year's time.

Voyager has a long play record stuck to the side and a cartridge in a box, so the alien who finds it can listen to Chuck Berry.

True, though the fidelity of an LP will always be limited by physics, and the digital compression of CDs only removes sounds not heard by the human ear so it will always objectively produce better sound.
I wonder how many light years radio signals travel before they degrade from interference in space.

True, though the fidelity of an LP will always be limited by physics, and the digital compression of CDs only removes sounds not heard by the human ear so it will always objectively produce better sound.
I wonder how many light years radio signals travel before they degrade from interference in space.
LPs actually have a wider bandwidth (although lower dynamics) than CD, coz there's a 20kHz brick wall filter on CD, whereas LP has an upper roll-off up around 56kHz (a limitation in the disc lathes). Good LP playback walks all over CD in terms of "listenability", especially with tube amps. Don't get me started on compression technologies and ear buds ;).

Radio signals don't degrade, you just need more sensitive equipment to pick them out of the noisefloor of the universe. That's the basis of radio-astronomy - those guys are picking up radio wave signals from 20 billion years ago - 20 billion light years away (or however old the Big Bang is, these days).

I’ve been lucky (so far) with autosave and manual backups, but one time I used the free version of Recuva (from Piriform) to restore deleted jpeg files. I think one would be more likely to bring back at least a portion of a character-based file using a recovery program, compared to a more complex file format (image, music, etc.).

I lost a small pile of stories I had written years ago when we last moved. They had been backed up on CDRW, and those disks got tossed. I do all my writing on MS Word, and I e-mail those docs to myself. Anywhere I go, now, I can just open my e-mail and grab a story to work in my spare time.

Back