The Thanksgiving Menu Thread

back when my sister was in college, we had thanksgiving at the house she was living in. the night before we all showed up, her roommates decided to throw a keg party. we show up and the entire house is trashed. booze bottles everywhere and half a keg of really cheap beer. that thanksgiving, the turkey was brined in beer left over from the keg in a giant plastic bin. the turkey was amazing. it ended up being a really good thanksgiving, but good god, that house was trashed. we ended up with her friends who either couldn't or didn't want to go home for various reasons. the keg party ended up extending through the holiday and was fabulous, despite the filth.

Isn't it the truth that the best times come spur of the moment and unplanned?!?!?!!
Sounds like a great Thanksgiving, Neci. That turkey sounds gooooooood!

You Menu is making me hungry.
This thread is making me hungry.

Am I the only one that serves wild rice at Thanksgiving dinner? I highly recommend you try it as long as you spend the money to get the real, long grain type. I think its a perfect additional side when you add gravy... one more color and texture to the plate!

and now i want a key lime pie because i just realized it's been forever.

I bake a ridiculous number of potatoes, then cut them in half and scoop out the insides. Mix with heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper, then mash and keep in crock pot. Easy peesy.

Put some cream cheese and sour cream in there and you've really got something!

Sweet potato pie
Banana Pudding
Dirt pudding
Peach Clobber

I'm a thanksgiving dessert guy ( turkey is kinda nasty) still eat it though.

What's that?

It's made with salmon and cream with herbs in it. You can make it with canned wild salmon, and mold it like jello. I have a really nice copper fish mold for it. The only drawback is that it's very rich, so there are always leftovers.

I eat it on cucumber slices, but most people eat it on toast points or water crackers. I can't eat wheat, so those are out for me.

Attachments

• fish mold.jpg
    fish mold.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 17
Am I the only one that serves wild rice at Thanksgiving dinner? I highly recommend you try it as long as you spend the money to get the real, long grain type. I think its a perfect additional side when you add gravy... one more color and texture to the plate!

I've never had it on Thanksgiving but am not opposed to including it as a side dish.

I bake a ridiculous number of potatoes, then cut them in half and scoop out the insides. Mix with heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper, then mash and keep in crock pot. Easy peesy.

Put some cream cheese and sour cream in there and you've really got something!

What he says! I add Cream Cheese to mine as well. Also, roasted garlic. If you are having ppl over that like garlic, you can roast some garlic by wrapping the entire bulb it in a piece of tin foil and toss it in the over with your turkey for about 45 minutes. Then puree it and mix it in to the spuds. It's yummy!

It's made with salmon and cream with herbs in it. You can make it with canned wild salmon, and mold it like jello. I have a really nice copper fish mold for it. The only drawback is that it's very rich, so there are always leftovers.

I eat it on cucumber slices, but most people eat it on toast points or water crackers. I can't eat wheat, so those are out for me.

I like salmon especially with rice or grits. I'll chop up the fish and mixed it. My grandfather cook Salmon, only thing I hate about salmon is the bottom of it. It's slimy and nasty make me want to throw up.

Sweet potato pie
Banana Pudding
Dirt pudding
Peach Clobber

I'm a thanksgiving dessert guy ( turkey is kinda nasty) still eat it though.

Where do you find fresh peaches this time of year? That sounds good.

I think I am making salmon mousse.

I've never had it, Noor, but I do love Salmon - smoked, Steamed, Grilled, Blackened, BBQ'd. I need to try it as a mousse. Sounds interesting.

I like salmon especially with rice or grits. I'll chop up the fish and mixed it. My grandfather cook Salmon, only thing I hate about salmon is the bottom of it. It's slimy and nasty make me want to throw up.

I don't use that part ;)

Where do you find fresh peaches this time of year? That sounds good.

I've never had it, Noor, but I do love Salmon - smoked, Steamed, Grilled, Blackened, BBQ'd. I need to try it as a mousse. Sounds interesting.

You could use frozen peaches, which are a bit hard to find but taste pretty good.
When I pull out my recipe I will try to post it.

I'll be cooking this year with one of my sisters. We've not made our menu yet but I'm starting to think about what to prepare.

Are you cooking? What's on your menu? Anything nontraditional?

Tell me what's on your grocery list.

I think I'm going to do dinner on Sunday, because otherwise it'll just be me and toe littles, one being very picky. Then I won't be left with tons after.

Maybe contrifan's turkey recipe
Thor's cranberries from Neci's thread
Stuffing!
Mashed taters
Rolls
I don't know what else yet

Pie!

Chocolate cream
Pumpkin or pumpkin cheese cake
Pecan, have an awesome not too sweet recipe

The afternoon before I heat a cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of molasses handful of peppercorns, 4 quarts of vegetable stock 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 washed and cut up lemon. After it is heated enough to melt the salt I add enough ice to chill it to cold.

I put the turkey in a heavy plastic bag and pour in the brine making sure there is still some ice that is not melted. Seal the bag and put it in a large cooler. I add enough ice to cove the top of the bag just to be sure.

Next morning remove and discard the brine, rinse turkey, season stuff (optional) and roast as usual. It is almost impossible to dry a brined turkey out. The meat is moist with just a hint of the brine. I think it makes a better flavored gravy too!

How cold does this need to be? I'm wondering if I can put it outside. Or perhaps, wherever you live is much colder than me? :D

I think I'm going to do dinner on Sunday, because otherwise it'll just be me and toe littles, one being very picky. Then I won't be left with tons after.

Maybe contrifan's turkey recipe
Thor's cranberries from Neci's thread
Stuffing!
Mashed taters
Rolls
I don't know what else yet

Pie!

Chocolate cream
Pumpkin or pumpkin cheese cake
Pecan, have an awesome not too sweet recipe

How cold does this need to be? I'm wondering if I can put it outside. Or perhaps, wherever you live is much colder than me? :D

I put mine in a bucket outside over night. As long as the temp is less than 40 it will be ok. It won't freeze because of the salt in the brine. Cover it up or the critters will get it.

I put mine in a bucket outside over night. As long as the temp is less than 40 it will be ok. It won't freeze because of the salt in the brine. Cover it up or the critters will get it.

Thanks, Johnny. I'm gonna do this.

Also, how could I forget deviled eggs?! And I like to get a variety of schmancey pants olives.

I'm going to brine a whole turkey breast in juniper berry brine and slow smoke it with apple wood. Not sure about anything else.

Turkey (brined), cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green beans, rolls, deviled eggs, creamy baked corn, cranberry sauce. Maybe a ham, and probably a couple more side dishes. Oh! And pecan pie, of course.

Last edited:
Back