2009 Survivor Bonus Round Challenge #4: May Day.

Lauren Hynde

Hitched
Joined
Apr 11, 2002
Posts
21,061
On Tuesday May 4, 1886, at the Haymarket Square in Chicago, twelve demonstrators on general strike for the eight-hour day were shot dead by Chicago police. Each year, millions of people around the world -- although rarely in the United States or Canada -- celebrate on May 1st the social and economic achievements of the international labor movement. For this Survivor Bonus Round Challenge, your mission is to write a poem, without any formal requirements, that specifically mentions a known historical event of the struggle of the people for a better tomorrow and, moreover, is about that struggle. A poem worthy of Senna Jawa's "homelessness, poverty, soc/polit st. anthology" thread.

You don't need to be participating in Survivor to take this challenge. If you are participating in Survivor, for your poem to be eligible for points under the Special Bonus Rounds heading, it needs to be submitted to Literotica.com and be posted between 04/22/2009 and 05/20/2009.

Feel free to use this thread to workshop this challenge, to banter about this challenge, to post links to your submissions to this challenge, and to give your opinion on poems submitted to this challenge.
 
On Tuesday May 4, 1886, at the Haymarket Square in Chicago, twelve demonstrators on general strike for the eight-hour day were shot dead by Chicago police. Each year, millions of people around the world -- although rarely in the United States or Canada -- celebrate on May 1st the social and economic achievements of the international labor movement.

Not to put too fine a point on it, Canada and the US do both celebrate the social and economic achievements of the international labor movement, just not on May 1.

Labour Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in Canada since the 1880s. The origins of Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to April 14, 1872 when a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week.




Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (on September 7 in 2009).The holiday originated in 1882 as the Central Labor Union of New York City sought to create "a day off for the working citizens." Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday on June 28, 1894,[1] two months after the May Day Riots of 1894. May 4 was chosen to remember the Haymarket Affair. All 50 U.S. states have additionally made Labor Day a state holiday.

The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday—a street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations,"

I suppose they wanted to celebrate the movement and not dwell on the actual day? Apparently the first Labor day in the US and Canada happened just 2 months after the Haymarket Affair. Interesting how one article calls the "event" a demonstration, where the other calls it "riot."
 
Not to put too fine a point on it, Canada and the US do both celebrate the social and economic achievements of the international labor movement, just not on May 1.
I know. I only said it doesn't generally happen on May 1st. ;)
 
I know. I only said it doesn't generally happen on May 1st. ;)

Oh, okay, for the initial moment, I panicked, saying, what the hell? Tell me we don't celebrate it?? Then figured I would do the right thing and wiki-it and set the record straight. I know, I am spaz, but I thought someone else might think we did not recognize the labor movement at all.

Don't worry, I was not suggesting we do another labor poem in September :cool: May makes much more sense :heart:
 
Would you say Poppy Day fits this? well Armistice Day really
I did not get a military feel in the initial post. More of a power to and from the "people" kind of thing. Social change.
Yes, it's more a social change thing than a military thing. The two aren't mutually exclusive and I can think of a few examples, but a military event without the social aspect wouldn't really fit the bill.
 
I've been googling and really apart from May day England hasn't got much in the way of 'days' but other countries have some very interesting ones. You're determined to bring my brain out of moth balls aren't you?!
 
I've been googling and really apart from May day England hasn't got much in the way of 'days' but other countries have some very interesting ones. You're determined to bring my brain out of moth balls aren't you?!
There's the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 in China, the Civil Rights movement or the anti-nuclear movement in the United States, the nonviolent resistance of Mahatma Gandhi in India, the People Power Revolution of 1986 in the Philippines, the Solidarity movement in Poland, May 1968 in France, ...

Just off the top of my head.
 
You could also do local social movements as well, I am guessing. ie the fight for disability-friendly sidewalks, smaller classroom sizes, inclusion that really includes (you can see where my mind is at this morning)
 
aha so it doesn't have to be a specific day that is celebrated then? I've made a start just hope I don't offend someone from that country that knows more than I do although I am researching like mad here
 
Back to the barricades!
Long ago, in the late 60's and ealry 70's I was involved in anti-war work, not too active these days.
I may have 2 May dya poems, the other involving Maypoles & flowers (and maybe just private)
 
God, I am getting old. I can't even keep my alts straight.

Not that they all are. Straight.
 
Last edited:
Odyssey/WCTU Intermix

Drunk as Dionysus, slumped
at the bottom of the stair
in a rendering plant, the Maenads
sweetly singing in his ear

The lips that touch liquor shall never touch mine
For even if Jesus turned water to wine
More purity's needed from our modern men
Or celibate we shall keep unto the end


Ulysses prophesied a future
unfit for Christian men—
bathtub swill with swank labels
and Valentines gone wrong.
Into this vision swept
a demon/saint to whom
the Maenads crooned another tune

Carry Nation took her axe
And gave a beer keg forty whacks
When Carry saw what she had done
She gave John Drunkard forty-one


Doomed to wander here and there
on the wastes of a dry Aegean,
Ulysses wondered if he would ever reach home,
and if Penelope would see him.



God. I know. These challenges are a pain in the butt.
 
Iwill have to submit the small amount I have written I havent been so sick in a long while just praying I make to the holiday
 
I didn't pick any specific struggle since it seems women face the same challenges throughout the wartorn world.

On The Line

Write about the power people wield.
I don't see any; I don't
know if they have any.

Flesh and bone can't shield.
They won't stop bullets; they won't
go far if they catch any

- but stand up anyway.
Some day soldiers will run out of bullets,
some day their arms will be too tired
to lift the axe for the killing blow.

Stand up until you're knocked down
and pray someone will take your place
for freedom, a thing you can't give

a hungry child; a pregnant woman
can't feed her baby choice
unless the people raise a voice
and stand up to take your place.
 
Back
Top