What's your worst writing goof?

[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My usual flaw is to get a character's name wrong at least once.

That's one of my big stumbling blocks, too. Fortunately, my editor catches most of them. ("Who's Maria? And what happened to Marie?")

There was a time when I rushed a story because of a contest deadline and didn't run it past her first. When the story was published, a sharp-eyed reader wrote "Interesting how ten women in swimsuits became fifteen nude women..."
 
The Third Hand

I once wrote a story and in the description of who was doing what to who accidentally gave one of the characters three hands.

Fortunately, one of my beta-readers caught it and walked me through placing my hands like the character was in the story - and I suddenly realized that the character had a hand, an other hand, and an other other hand, all in action at once.
 
I once wrote a story and in the description of who was doing what to who accidentally gave one of the characters three hands.

Fortunately, one of my beta-readers caught it and walked me through placing my hands like the character was in the story - and I suddenly realized that the character had a hand, an other hand, and an other other hand, all in action at once.

I had stories where a third hand would have been, uh, handy. :D
 
I once wrote a story and in the description of who was doing what to who accidentally gave one of the characters three hands.

Fortunately, one of my beta-readers caught it and walked me through placing my hands like the character was in the story - and I suddenly realized that the character had a hand, an other hand, and an other other hand, all in action at once.

One author built a career on something like that: https://www.christinadodd.com/christina-dodd-and-the-infamous-three-armed-cover/
 
My first submission was one massive typo. At the time I hadn't written anything in years. I have a bad habit of writing outlines in the present tense and the actual story in past. I was so nervous submitting for the first time and kept rewriting that finally I copied and pasted the outline and the draft together and submitted it.
For whatever reason when I tried to edit it, I didn't notice. Others sure did.
It turned out to be really good for me as it led to me giving myself a whole refresher course on writing and grammar, along with making me an absolute madman when it came to editing my own stuff.
I still manage at least two typos per story, however.
 
I had a friend proofread a story for me once, luckily, because she found where I had typed something like
he thrust his huge coke in me
Yeah I typed coke instead of cock. I still giggle at that typo.
Shades of Fatty Arbuckle!

Frankly, my biggest goof was (and remains) turning on the computer. Every other error, good, embarrassing incident and slip has been due to that.

Even a trout wouldn’t get into trouble if she’d keep her mouth shut...
 
Last edited:
How to avoid goofs: Sustain severe eye damage, so close inspection of every keystroke is needed. Goofs result from skimming.
 
Back
Top