Movies!

Correction I saw Frequency and liked it. I may look Frequencies up.

Also enjoyed Breakfast on Pluto and Hedwig and the Angry Inch very much!

Thanks to Seela's list we watched Secretary. It took three sittings because we've been busy through the days and kept falling asleep, so just watched the last half hour this morning. ( not the best way to watch a film). What a great music by Angelo Badalamenti. Good film. Glad we saw it.

What's next? :). We have a slight uptight but not old relative coming next weekend, this would have been interesting to sit her down in front of ;) not too graphic.

Yay, I'm glad you're finding the list useful. :)

How about Tipping the Velvet, Fur or Polanski's take on Venus in Fur?

I enjoyed Quartet 2012 with Maggie Smith.

Tonight I also enjoyed 20 Feet from Stardom.

Unwelcome in Tehran.

It's a documentary about single women in Tehran, about the struggles they face in a culture that doesn't really recognize independent women. The director is also one of the main characters, Mina, who got married just to be able to move to Tehran and start a more independent life there. Her friends are single and she regrets her marriage despite having a husband who lets her do whatever she wants and lead a very independent life.

It was very, very interesting! Certainly a side of Iran I've never seen represented before. It ended very abruptly, I would have wanted to know what happened after the conversation Mina had with her husband. Other than that I was happy with what I saw.

Whores' Glory is a documentary about prostitutes in Thailand, Bangladesh and Mexico. It left me feeling very sad. Especially the bit about Bangladesh was heartbreaking.

The women in Thailand worked in a pretty fancy bordel and it looked like they were being taken care of at least on some level. They sat in an aquarium and men picked and chose who they want, then haggled over the price.

The Bangladesh part was horrible. The women worked in a huge stone bazar and the whole environment felt very violent and abusive. Girls were hit and berated by their "mothers", one girl was sold to sex slavery etc. There was an old woman who had been working for 40 years, and now couldn't attract as many men anymore and was all the time on the brink of losing her home because of that. One man they interviewed said the bazar is a must, because that's the only thing that's keeping men from raping women on the streets. :(

In Mexico drugs played a big part of the story. It was really sad as well. They showed one encounter between a prostitute and a customer from start to finish, and in a way it left me feeling like I wasn't completely sure who was using whom.

What was really interesting about the documentary was how religion played a key role in the women's lives. They prayed for many customers, in Bangladesh they wouldn't perform oral because mouth is used to recite verses from the Quran, in Mexico the women took religion and santeria very seriously, too.

I recently found a treasure trove of documentaries online. Our version of BBC hosts a site where you can watch thousands of documentaries mostly dealing with the third world for free. There are long and short ones, all kinds of topics, heavy and hilarious. Don't know if they can be watched abroad though, probably not without fiddling with the IP.

Mahler on the couch, about Gustav Mahler's visit to Freud.
Mahler needed help after finding out that his wife Alma had an affair with Walter Gropius.
I liked it.

Mahler on the couch, about Gustav Mahler's visit to Freud.
Mahler needed help after finding out that his wife Alma had an affair with Walter Gropius.
I liked it.

This sounds interesting! Adding to my watchlist. :)

I caught Girl with the dragon tattoo on TV, the American version. Don't know what to think of it, really. It felt rushed. It was ok I suppose, but I was expecting more.

This sounds interesting! Adding to my watchlist. :)

I caught Girl with the dragon tattoo on TV, the American version. Don't know what to think of it, really. It felt rushed. It was ok I suppose, but I was expecting more.

I saw it when both the other movies we wanted to see were sold out and we already had someone to stay with the kids for the evening.
I liked it, much because of the look at how Sweden looks through "outsider eyes".
Some thinges I liked better in the Swedish version and others better in the American version.
I only just dare to say this out loud, but I think Salander was better played by Rooney Mara than Noomi Rapace. Rapace's version is too cool and tough on the outside and lacks the awkwardness from the book.
Stellan Skarsgård did better than Peter Haber too.

Watched The Drop with Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini. I don't think that I've seen a film yet (apart from Batman maybe) with Tom Hardy in it that I didn't enjoy. (He was amazing in Locke - if you've not seen it, it's just him driving and making phone calls at the same time, but it's mesmerising.)

I don't like violence so I was a bit wary about watching a film about gangsters but ironically, there was an undercurrent of potential threat to a dog which worried me enough to make me oblivious to the actual violence the humans were on the receiving end of :eek: :rolleyes:

Watched The Drop with Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini. I don't think that I've seen a film yet (apart from Batman maybe) with Tom Hardy in it that I didn't enjoy. (He was amazing in Locke - if you've not seen it, it's just him driving and making phone calls at the same time, but it's mesmerising.)

I don't like violence so I was a bit wary about watching a film about gangsters but ironically, there was an undercurrent of potential threat to a dog which worried me enough to make me oblivious to the actual violence the humans were on the receiving end of :eek: :rolleyes:

Just read the book.
That guy was creepy and yes, I worried about the dog.:)

Now that there is a TV starting my girl finally watched Limitless with me last night. Pretty good film although entirely impossible in every way. Struck me as Dr. Who and Manic mind only in a slightly more functional way. I really will be surprised if it is a decent TV show though.

LOL!

My boss at work was going on and on about how great these audio books are. Clearly the bitch is into power games but doesn't bad writing count for anything?

Ok so, I suppose sometimes my tendency to do things to tempt a spanking persists into bizarre behaviour.

last night we down loaded fifty shades of grey

I cannot be too masochistic though because when G said 'this is what women have been going nuts about? That emotional retard?' And asked if I was going to make him sit through the whole thing I agreed it had been a mad moment and a bad decision. May brought on by trying to be vaguely creative over the weekend, cutting out things of paper with a craft knife.

At least you know I'm honest as to my faults and failures. :eek:

I watched a couple of movies within the past few weeks. I watched the new Minions movie in 3D :D The minions are cute, and the movie made me giggle, and was totally enjoyable. The 3D wasn't that fabulous, with the exception of one or two effects that made me.. "Ah!l. I would have enjoyed it equally NOT in 3D.

The other movie I watched was Spy. This was also enjoyable and good for a few giggles. There is nothing special about the plot, just some good laughs along the predictable path. Both movies were just what I like in a movie, an enjoyable, short escape that doesn't leave me wishing I had saved my money. Both fun movies! :)

I've watched a bunch of movies in the last week or so...

The Imitation Game - interesting and well acted but it lagged in spots

The Gambler - With John Goodman and Mark Wahlberg I thought it would be a lock. Skip this one it's boring.

Mordecai - Very enjoyable farce but then again I like Johnny Depp.

The Woman in Gold - certainly not an action film but it held my interest throughout. Helen Mirren is brilliant as usual.

Focus - Will Smith as a super con man. It held my interest all the way through.

Unbroken - very well acted and believable but the subject matter was a bit of a bummer. Still a very well done film.

What We Do in The Shadows _ the Redbox marquee said "hilarious." NOT. Fortunately it was a freebie so I didn't waste my $.

I enjoyed the comedy show of Trevor Noah on Amazon last night.

Also enjoying Humans the series.

-----------------------------------------------------

Glad you enjoyed them. I might enjoy Spy.

I watched a couple of movies within the past few weeks. I watched the new Minions movie in 3D :D The minions are cute, and the movie made me giggle, and was totally enjoyable. The 3D wasn't that fabulous, with the exception of one or two effects that made me.. "Ah!l. I would have enjoyed it equally NOT in 3D.

The other movie I watched was Spy. This was also enjoyable and good for a few giggles. There is nothing special about the plot, just some good laughs along the predictable path. Both movies were just what I like in a movie, an enjoyable, short escape that doesn't leave me wishing I had saved my money. Both fun movies! :)

I want to see Woman in Gold.

I've watched a bunch of movies in the last week or so...

The Imitation Game - interesting and well acted but it lagged in spots

The Gambler - With John Goodman and Mark Wahlberg I thought it would be a lock. Skip this one it's boring.

Mordecai - Very enjoyable farce but then again I like Johnny Depp.

The Woman in Gold - certainly not an action film but it held my interest throughout. Helen Mirren is brilliant as usual.

Focus - Will Smith as a super con man. It held my interest all the way through.

Unbroken - very well acted and believable but the subject matter was a bit of a bummer. Still a very well done film.

What We Do in The Shadows _ the Redbox marquee said "hilarious." NOT. Fortunately it was a freebie so I didn't waste my $.

I watched Synechdoche, New York and really loved it.

It's a little confusing movie and it seriously made me think. It's about a theater director who struggles with his life, wins a MacArthur grant and uses it to make a play that is about his life and tells about who he really is. In the process he builds a replica of New York in a warehouse.

It left a very big impact on me, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'd like it but it sounds interesting. Glad you enjoyed it!

What kind of impact?

I watched a show on Amazon Prime, several episodes of This American Life. It had some really interesting glances into lives that I enjoyed.

One was about senior citizen's writing and making a movie for Sundance!

:rose:

I watched Synechdoche, New York and really loved it.

It's a little confusing movie and it seriously made me think. It's about a theater director who struggles with his life, wins a MacArthur grant and uses it to make a play that is about his life and tells about who he really is. In the process he builds a replica of New York in a warehouse.

It left a very big impact on me, that's for sure.

Death at a Funeral may well be the funniest movie I've seen in years. And that includes having seen Codependent Space Lesbian Seeks Same, I'll have you know.

In Death, a family gathers to hold the funeral service of their patriarch. The family is, well, quite British and rather dysfunctional. When a man turns up with the claim that he was the father's gay lover during the last months of the man's life, all hell breaks loose. Toss in some male nudity, hallucinogens, and bondage (of a sort) and it's fun for the whole (adult) family.

I've seen that! Funny!

Death at a Funeral may well be the funniest movie I've seen in years. And that includes having seen Codependent Space Lesbian Seeks Same, I'll have you know.

In Death, a family gathers to hold the funeral service of their patriarch. The family is, well, quite British and rather dysfunctional. When a man turns up with the claim that he was the father's gay lover during the last months of the man's life, all hell breaks loose. Toss in some male nudity, hallucinogens, and bondage (of a sort) and it's fun for the whole (adult) family.

I quite like those adult black humour British comedies ( and I'm not great on a lot of classic British humour). Keeping mum is another funny film.

Well, our Internet picked up, we picked eyes wide shut from Seela's list, then because Internet looked dicey a the first free film offered ( paddington bear) I did not enjoy paddington bear and went to sleep but G said it was 'sweet' .

Tonight we might try frequencies again, see if we can watch it this time! I quite want to watch Boxing Helena but G thinks I will be upset by it, I feel he is being too overprotective.....
What did you think about Eyes wide shut?

Back