What are you reading at the moment?

by force of fantasy: how we make our lives by Ethel S. Person M.D.

Summertime reading just for fun.
The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

Pen Pals by Olivia Goldsmith
 
Last edited:
To the Lighthouse,

Have to coz it's in our syllabus

Wish, we'd at least one erotic novel too!!!!!
 
Atonement by Ian McEwan (as pleasure reading)
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls (like BrianCaster, it's on our syllabus as summer reading, as are the next two books)
The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende (in both German and English, because I'm trying to improve my reading skills in German)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontee

And a variety of fanfic, the final Harry Potter book, and drafts of various fetish fiction pieces requested by friends, the most recent of which would be this one: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7181287/1/Excruciating (I had far too much fun with it. :flower:)
 
Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia, by James Fox (the family that produced Lady Astor and the Gibson Girls)

World Without End, by Ken Follett

and the Score to Mozart's Requiem (which I have to sing in a September 11th memorial concert)
 
"Waiting for Godot" Samuel Beckett

Will have finals in Nov, so many text still to be finished so reading summary
 
Death in Holy Orders by PD James


But I'm supposed to be reading about recording, analysing and using learning & development information. Blech.
 
Cemetery Dance - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. (I had to spend a day at the DMV last week)

A Dance With Dragons - George R. R. Martin (my copy finally arrived)
 
A Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin. (I'm behind schedule on my pre-Dance re-read project)

Hi all. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Last edited:
Second book in a trilogy by Dan Wells about a 15 year old struggling against his serial killer instincts.

I Am Not a Serial Killer
Mr. Monster
I Don't Want to Kill You

Hear that, JBJ?
 
Just got in the latest Dresden book yesterday, Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. I've been looking forward to it for a while now.
 
I'm looking forward to that one too, gravyrug. After I get caught up with aSoIaF. :)
 
I'm looking forward to that one too, gravyrug. After I get caught up with aSoIaF. :)

I read Song of Ice & Fire a while back, and have deliberately avoided reading the rest until either the series was finished, or they made it into a movie. I'm kinda glad I waited. I'll read the rest of the books as HBO puts out the series.
 
I have several books going right now.

Codependent No More by Melody Beattie

Colour of Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley

2011 Writer's Market - the articles at the beginning.
 
I read Song of Ice & Fire a while back, and have deliberately avoided reading the rest until either the series was finished, or they made it into a movie. I'm kinda glad I waited. I'll read the rest of the books as HBO puts out the series.

Can't blame you for that. That was my plan too for a while, but b/w the HBO series and Dance finally coming out, I got sucked back in.
 

...In Melville's world, men ashore gaze to sea and men at sea gaze to shore. The deck, as much as the ground, burns beneath their feet...


...His predecessors in the gentlemen-goes-to-sea genre, including Dana, had never quite got beyond the tone of the Brahmin slumming among the hoi polloi, but Melville opened himself to the sailor's life and became genuinely part of it. He shed his pretensions. He discovered that at sea competence counts more than breeding. He learned to live at a constant pitch of sentry alertness, since a split second of drowsiness or reverie could kill him. This was to be the theme of that memorable chapter in Moby-Dick, "The Mast-Head," in which Ishmael reflects on how easy it would be to slip from his height and be dashed to death on the deck below, or, if the ship were listing, to disappear with a quiet splash into the sea. In White-Jacket, in a sentence both reportorial and allegorical, Melville remarks that, "Sailors, even in the bleakest weather... never wear mittens aloft; since aloft, they literally carry their lives in their hands, and want nothing between their grasp of the hemp and the hemp itself...


...One can only imagine how Melville's mother and sisters reacted to hearing about the Polynesian girls applying tropical oil with their "soft palms" to his "whole body" and then competing "with one another in the ardor of their attentions." No wonder he had looked forward "with transport" during his days in the Marquesas to his nightly body rub, which gave him, he was sure, "such sensations" as no sultan in the seraglio had ever enjoyed. But it is a long way from raconteur to author, and most who try to make the transition fail to go the distance. Many young men, Elizabeth Hardwick points out, "have held forth over their schnapps and received a like urging to proceed from the conversation to the blank white page," but in the cold light of morning they find that writing is a more arduous business than spinning tales in the night...


...In Captain Ahab, Melville had invented a suicidal charismatic who denouces as a blasphemer anyone who would deflect him from his purpose— an invention that shows no sign of becoming obsolete anytime soon...


...( Total earnings from the American sales of Moby-Dick would ultimately come to $556.37, considerably less than Melville had realized from any previous book. )...


...What "Bartelby" brings into view is the fact that all boundary lines between power and submission, mine and yours, right and wrong, too little and too much are finally nothing more than conventions to which we cling lest we lose our grip and tumble away into the infinity of unforseen possibilities...


...The Confidence-Man was about a time of hectic expansion when, in Baldwin's phrases, "swindling was raised to the dignity of the fine arts" and Americans were continually inventing new forms of "elaborate machinery of ingenious chicane." It was a time when paper money was promiscuously printed ("let the public believe that a smutted rag is money" as Baldwin put it, and "it is money"), when every borrower was ready to cheat every lender by putting up as collateral arid land, or infirm slaves, or worthless stock, and when lenders cheerfully loaned money that they did not have. Confidence, it seemed, was always misplaced...





-Andrew Delbanco
Melville: His World and Work
New York, N.Y. 2005.





I was first introduced to knowledge of Herman Melville's life by my book dealer relations who related the reasons for the scarcity of first editions of Moby-Dick ( as many are aware, it was a commercial flop, then the Harper Brothers' warehouse where the unsold copies remained burned to the ground). It was only many years later that I got around to reading Moby-Dick, Typee, Omoo, White-Jacket, Mardi and Billy Budd and was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed them. To some— myself included— it is a source of pride and satisfaction to know they've read nearly immortal words and encountered some profound insights to the human condition in their original state.

Delbanco is a professor at Columbia. Of Melville, he observes that "the New York of his youth, where letters were delivered by horseback messengers, became in his lifetime a city recognizably our own, where the Brooklyn Bridge carried traffic and electric lights lit the street." While there will always be holes in Melville's biography because of the nature of his life, the book is as thoroughly researched and detailed an account as you're likely to find.


 
Last edited:
Just finished the Suzanne Collins Hunger Games trilogy, recommended by my therapist, of all people:

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

Would love to see these make the summer reading list at my kids' school...
 
Seth Speaks by Jane Roberts (my "heavy make me think" read)

English Skills by John Langan (my "haven't taught the class in awhile and I need to review the text" read)

Alpha Rising by G.L. Douglas (my "what the Hell, it was free on Amazon" read)
 
Back
Top