More knife murders than assault weapons

The Nationmaster chart that you linked to totally provided per capita rates for both the US and Somalia - that's where I got my figure of 147th for Somalia from. (The page isn't opening right now, so I can't find the US rate, but from memory it was substantively higher than the UK.)

Woop - the link is working again.

Per capita rates for murder:
Somalia: 15.1 (in 2008) - 147th of the countries listed
US: 42.01 (in 2010) - 99th of of the countries listed
UK 11.68 (in 2009) - 157th of the countries listed

Somalia's reported rates are clearly higher than the UK's ... and I'm sorry, but the US out-ranks both of them. So on the basis of the figures you're relying on, the US is doing substantively worse that one of the primary 'shithole' countries.

(just noting that you apparently consider Snopes a trustworthy source, which will be relevant in a moment...)

Australia did their gun confiscation/buyback program and immediately after crime rates soared. INCLUDING gun violence.

False. Snopes debunks it here.

This fact-check piece discusses the results of the Australian gun law changes. It shows clear falls in rates of firearms homicide and suicide since 1996; the only serious debate is about how much of should can be ascribed to the gun ban vs. other factors.

The primary purpose of the Australian law changes was to stop mass shootings. In the 20 years leading up to the ban, there were 11 mass shootings (using the "4 or more killed" definition) with 95 people killed; in the 20 years since the ban, there was one, with five dead. The total for all mass murders in the 20 years post Port Arthur was 7 incidents with 59 dead.

Putting that on a per capita basis, that's roughly a 50% drop in the frequency and death rate of mass murders.

Home invasions rose 20%

There is no defined offence of "home invasion" in Australian law, and no generally-agreed definition of what the term means. So anybody who claims to have data for "a 20% rise in home invasions" is ipso facto bullshitting.

Somalia's reported rates are clearly higher than the UK's ... and I'm sorry, but the US out-ranks both of them. So on the basis of the figures you're relying on, the US is doing substantively worse that one of the primary 'shithole' countries.

You're talking to a guy who's been known to blame Obama for things that happened before Pearl Harbor, so don't expect his opinion to change just because the facts aren't what he thought they were.

You're talking to a guy who's been known to blame Obama for things that happened before Pearl Harbor, so don't expect his opinion to change just because the facts aren't what he thought they were.

I know that, but it still perplexes me when people are completely incapable of recognising when they're wrong. If I'm wrong, I usually say - 'oh - yeah. Ha! Silly me'. I don't generally resort to calling someone childish. Also, he seemed to sure that I just had to go back and check that I had things right. But he's got me ignore now anyway ... I don't really get why he took me off the first time, after the physical violence threats. I'm actually skeptical that he really does put anyone on ignore - I think he just says that because we're meant to be wounded or something.

First of all, I actually have a life. I don't spend every free minute I have arguing with ignorant adolescents like you. I actually have a job. I have a girlfriend and I have other friends I spend time with. I do NOT have time for you.

AGAIN, if you actually READ my post you would have SEEN that admitted I was mistaken about the ban being finalized, but that IS where they are heading.

Now go ask your mommy to make you some more Mac & Cheese and go back to playing Lego Star Wars on your X box.

You are still not admitting it. Nowhere in any of your posts does it say that you were wrong. Even now you are still trying to justify yourself by claiming that it will happen this year, next year sometime, never.

There is no ban to be finalised because it would be totally unworkable. You refer only to things that were under consideration and even they do not constitute the ban on pointed knives that you claimed already existed. If you were able to read the things that you post you would know that.

So come on admit that you were talking rubbish. You really must learn that what the blokes down the pub say is not necessarily true.
BTW don't bother with personal insults, I've been insulted by experts. You don't even come close.

Murder rates are one of the very few things you can compare because murder is murder in most countries. However, the more civilised and regulated a country is the more likely that murders will be accurately recorded. In a lawless country like Somalia where Policing does not extend beyond city limits a large proportion of murders will go unrecorded. In far more regulated countries like the UK that is less likely to happen.

Comparing other crimes is more or less pointless. What is a crime in one country is acceptable in another. For instance in the UK issuing threats to kill is a criminal offence. In Greece it's part of an everyday argument. Some countries do not recognise rape within marriage as a crime. In Britain, we have an offence called "violent disorder" in which no one has to be violent and no one has to be disorderly. It was an offence invented by the Thatcher government to discredit striking miners. In effect, it means not doing as you were told by a policeman. However, it is still recorded as a violent crime. Even motoring offences are classed as crimes in some countries and misdomeaners in others.

LOL.....and I wonder how many people actually buy that.

Seeing as how she’s evidently self-classified a #2 pencil a weapon of war, she’s made it a point to never touch one, and the resultant lack of basic math skills resulted. Her delusions I won’t even attempt to explain.

Seeing as how she’s evidently self-classified a #2 pencil a weapon of war, she’s made it a point to never touch one, and the resultant lack of basic math skills resulted. Her delusions I won’t even attempt to explain.

Liberals don't use math skills anymore. They do not have the brain power for it. They need artificial intelligence, like a "smart" phone.

Dude, I wasn't the one who couldn't read basic stats. I was using the figures you brought to the debate.

BotBoy, I don't think the murder rate in the US is really that much worse than Somalia ... because it's as ridiculous as comparing Somalia with the UK, which is what Coach was originally doing, albeit using figures that didn't actually do the job.

Liberals don't use math skills anymore. They do not have the brain power for it. They need artificial intelligence, like a "smart" phone.

If you can explain to me how 11.68 is a higher rate than 15.1, that would be great. I look forward to learning something new.

Alternatively, just pile on more insults when you have nothing of actual relevance to add and you can't get anywhere using logic or evidence. That's the usual GB approach.

Last edited:
Murder rates are one of the very few things you can compare because murder is murder in most countries. However, the more civilised and regulated a country is the more likely that murders will be accurately recorded. In a lawless country like Somalia where Policing does not extend beyond city limits a large proportion of murders will go unrecorded. In far more regulated countries like the UK that is less likely to happen.

Comparing other crimes is more or less pointless. What is a crime in one country is acceptable in another. For instance in the UK issuing threats to kill is a criminal offence. In Greece it's part of an everyday argument. Some countries do not recognise rape within marriage as a crime. In Britain, we have an offence called "violent disorder" in which no one has to be violent and no one has to be disorderly. It was an offence invented by the Thatcher government to discredit striking miners. In effect, it means not doing as you were told by a policeman. However, it is still recorded as a violent crime. Even motoring offences are classed as crimes in some countries and misdomeaners in others.

Didn't I already say most of that on the previous page?

Maybe, I have to admit that I haven't read every single post. I don't know if you mentioned the peculiar way violent crime is reported in the UK.

Not specifically, but I did talk about the generally problematic nature of comparing crime rates between countries.

Total crime, per capita, in the UK

So now in addition to providing a link to a table that gives you random numbers without telling you how those numbers are calculated you've moved the goal posts to include total crime.

I'm impressed you even bothered to respond after the complete demolition I did of your asshole.

Anyway, your numbers are meaningless because you're comparing a country with a population of near 66 million to that of one with slightly more people than the state of Illinois. Your total crime number is bullshit too because Iceland has a smaller population than Morris County, New Jersey. You really don't understand fucking statistics and it's hilarious.

Finally, you need to compare apples to apples. Somali, while I'm sure is lovely, isn't the same as the U.S. or U.K. Do yourself a favor and take a look at how difficult it is to buy a gun in places like Austria, Australia, or even Japan.

By 10 times

You raise an excellent point.

You heard him guys we must have tough regulation on knives as well as guns like assault rifles too!

Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy Kujack. Where would we be without you you paragon of liberal leftiness.:D:D

I'm joking Kujack so don't get all triggered snowflake on me over what I said.

Seriously now...I don't want to take people's guns or their right to buy something like an AR-15 away. I just think the responsible way to go about it is having the sale of them regulated so only responsible gun owners will be able to obtain them.

I cherish the second amendment but the situation as it is now is completely an insane and irresponsible one.

You raise an excellent point.

You heard him guys we must have tough regulation on knives as well as guns like assault rifles too!

Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy Kujack. Where would we be without you you paragon of liberal leftiness.:D:D

I'm joking Kujack so don't get all triggered snowflake on me over what I said.

Seriously now...I don't want to take people's guns or their right to buy something like an AR-15 away. I just think the responsible way to go about it is having the sale of them regulated so only responsible gun owners will be able to obtain them.

I cherish the second amendment but the situation as it is now is completely an insane and irresponsible one.

I shot an AR 15 this weekend
So fast and accurate it could be a automatic

It is automatic. Semi-automatic.

And somehow more dangerous than other Semi-automatic .223/5.56mm rifles.

But not one person who seems to think so can explain how exactly.

Hmmmmm....imagine that. :rolleyes:

It is automatic. Semi-automatic.
The 3-round-tap setting on an M16 is handy but the trigger can be pulled rather quickly in single-shot mode, as with any semi-auto firearm. Full-auto fire longer than a tap is shit for accuracy and burns ammo fast but is fine for crowds.

I await semi- and full-auto knife and dart launchers. THEN we'll see more piercing and slashing murders. The NKDA (National Knife and Dart Ass'n) will stand up for the right to bear those arms, of course, taking heat off the NRA. Maybe they can get some of the NRA's Russian money too.

Too bad nail guns don't have longer range.

I shot an AR 15 this weekend
So fast and accurate it could be a automatic

You aren’t aware that many if not most automatic weapons are fairly inaccurate, being what we call ‘spray and pray’ weapons?

The 3-round-tap setting on an M16 is handy but the trigger can be pulled rather quickly in single-shot mode, as with any semi-auto firearm. Full-auto fire longer than a tap is shit for accuracy and burns ammo fast but is fine for crowds.

I await semi- and full-auto knife and dart launchers. THEN we'll see more piercing and slashing murders. The NKDA (National Knife and Dart Ass'n) will stand up for the right to bear those arms, of course, taking heat off the NRA. Maybe they can get some of the NRA's Russian money too.

Too bad nail guns don't have longer range.

You left out the mighty halberd.

Back