Copland (Closed)

When Doyle walked into the station he knew right away that something was up. There was a buzz in the air, but it wasn't a good one like when a lead cracks a case or you dawn on something that had been plaguing you for months. No this was evil.

He saw a group of people standing by the door of major crimes and asked what was up. A young female cop smiled at him. "Davis asked to see you right when you got in. So did Captain Rice." She said The men she was with were all smiling too but again it wasn't happiness it was eagerness or apprehension they were trying to mask with false bravado. Seeing as Doyle was the toughest around many refused to show any weakness around him. Only Davis really knew that much of Doyle was a show. Though he was a damn good fighter. He knew if he went straight to Davis it would look odd so he went to the Capt first.

"You wanted to see me?" Doyle said poking his head into the office.

"Sit!" Was all he said. And pointed to a chair. "We think your killer is back!"

"He left sir?"

"Don't be a smart ass. He's calling you and Davis out. Not sure of his intent but it's never good when a psycho challenges cops. What with us having to follow rules and all, it puts us at a severe disadvantage. Davis sweated Danny today and got a lot out of the idiot. Then a letter came for her. Its message seems to be that they want to face off against you and Davis. There was also a wad of hair in it. Davis took it down to forensics right away and is working the case hard. She's in charge still, Kurt and Vick will be your back up." The Captain seemed to be fighting an internal battle with himself over the choice he had. He wanted the case solved but hated bending to another's will. "No heroics Jake. I know your family is involved and I know you! You cowboy shit here, it's by the book and seeing that I trust Davis not to throw caution to the wind she'll be in charge. No questions." When the Capt said his bit Doyle just stared, he was overjoyed, ecstatic. His face remained passive though, he didn't want to give the Capt anything on his mood.

"If that's what's best I'll see it done. After the case? I won't lie I can't work with Kurt anymore. He's an awesome detective, but we are too alike and will get the station in trouble from the fallout of one of our actions. Davis and I work well together let us stay as partners and you will not be sorry." Doyle hated that he sounded like he was begging but he wanted this more than anything he had ever wanted before. The Capt just said it would be strongly considered.

He went to Kurt next and told him of the situation and told him to go do all the pickups, he Doyle was going to do it before meeting Davis later but now he figured they'd be working late and he wouldn't have time. Kurt was happy to do it seeing it meant some cash in his pocket.

He walked down to the CSI portion of the building where the labs were. The geek squad was hard a work. He was shot a few looks as he just barged in. He never knocked with any office other than the Capt, in this building. He smiled at them and went right to where Davis and two techs were talking.

"No fingerprints and the hair will take a day or two to get a match. faster if we have something to work it against!" One of them said to Davis. She looked up over Davis's shoulder and gave a small scowl. "What do you want. I'm busy so anything you need will be waiting!" The woman said to Doyle.

"Here to work. Are you still sore from that date? I said sorry, but you and I were never going to work out." Doyle said, turning a bit red. He didn't want this conversation to happen with Davis right there. It also made him think that it had been a long time since he had seen Janet. He had forgotten she worked there.

"Sore? Not that stupid... You are married. You know what never mind this is not the time nor the place. Detective Davis, I am sorry about that. I will, of course, rush all your request seeing it's looking like a serial killer. Jake." She said ending on him a meanness to her tone. "I would ask that you don't make me deal with you for any of this." Doyle nodded and waited for Davis to finish so they could talk.

KC
 
Davis was talking to some CSI tech named Janet about the hair.

It’s pulled out by the roots so there is a skin tag on it. Should be able to get good DNA. The trouble is that we need something to match it up against. We might get lucky. Could be someone already in the system. Or not. All I can...”

The tech stopped and looked up, a slightly repugnant expression crossing her face.

”What do you want. I'm busy so anything you need will be waiting!"

"Here to work. Are you still sore from that date? I said sorry, but you and I were never going to work out."

"Sore? Not that stupid... You are married. You know what never mind this is not the time nor the place. Detective Davis, I am sorry about that. I will, of course, rush all your request seeing it's looking like a serial killer. Jake. I would ask that you don't make me deal with you for any of this."


Davis shook her head and turned back to Janet. “I understand that you’ve already got a lot on the burner, but we would appreciate if this was pushed to the front of the pack.”

“Yeah, I understand. Yet another night with little sleep. I’m about ready to kill the guy myself.” She glared at Doyle before turning and walking away and she wondered just who the woman was willing to murder.

Turning to Doyle, she grinned at him. “Ah, you must be a charmer. Making friends as usual, Doyle?” She looked at him a moment, wishing that they were somewhere alone so he could press her up against the wall and fuck her.

Taking a deep breath, she took him aside. “Don’t know how much you were told.” And with that, she gave him the low down, showing him pictures on her phone that she had taken of the envelope, note and the patch of hair.

“It’s hard to tell from looking if it came from the same person or someone new. Damn it, does this man ever sleep?” She stopped a moment. Then she looked at Doyle.

“Let’s bring Mr. Pierce in. It’s time that he told us the truth. I’m tired of this asshole.”
 
Doyle nodded and walked out with Davis. He would have told her all about the time with the lab tech but he was sure she didn't want or need to know.

"Let's get this over with. I agree he needs to be held to account." Doyle didn't want to keep working though, he wanted to leave the building and fuck Davis. But duty had to come first. Link had called him and told him all was well and they were getting on great and they could stay out at the cabin as long as needed. She must be enjoying the cock he thought. So at least that part of the plan was still going the way they wanted it too. He had also called his lawyer and began drafting papers to leave Rae.

Mr. Perice took his sweet time getting to the station when he walked in he was smug and untouchable looking. Doyle wanted nothing more than to deck him. He had to wonder if that was Davis's thought with Danny too.

"You didn't bring a legal representative?" Doyle asked while Davis stood back. She, as he knew, would join if he needed her to or if his temper got the better of him.

"Detective Doyle, do I need a lawyer with me. As far as I am aware you have nothing to accuse me of and I do enjoy our banter sessions now. It's fun watching you go all ape then get told off by her!" He said pointing to Davis. This wasn't the same man he last talked too. Pierce a couple days ago was on the defensive, not now though. It was like he had been expecting us to call him in and had every answer ready, like bullets in a gun.

Doyle walked him to the interrogation room, the same Davis had sweated Danny in. "Sit!" Doyle said pointing to the chair.

"Whatever you say."

After that Doyle leaned into him hard. Question after question, but Mr. Peirce answered them all and seemed to be one step ahead of them. Doyle was running out of questions and running out of patients and would soon be resorting to violence. After three hours of dancing, he was ready to give up. Turning to Davis who was on the other side of the window he gave her a small nod. Not wanting to concede he had no choice. This would take a touch like Davis's. He sat and waited for her to enter.

KC
 
Pierce was certainly supercilious and smug when he entered, his droll, dry answers held a bit of superiority. When the man spoke, he had reminded her of someone. She finally realized who it was as she watched from behind the glass. George Sanders. The actor from the 1940’s vintage movies. A movie popped into her head. The Picture of Dorian Gray. This was an act. She pulled up his record and found what she was looking for. It had been there but they had not been looking for it.

She watched Doyle, impressed with his restraint as she knew in all actuality that he wanted to rip the man from limb to limb. But she could see the whole picture. Doyle was wearing him down. Pierce’s answers were starting to come back more terse though he worked to keep that smooth appearance.

Finally, Doyle looked at her behind the mirror and shook his head. She knocked twice and headed for the room. He had softened him up for her. Time to come in for the kill. So to speak...

Davis walked down the hall and entered the room where Doyle and Pierce waited. The man was smoking a cigarette.

“Ah, the big guns now! Should I be scared?”

“Put our your cigarette. Apparently you can’t read.” She indicated the sign in plain view of the man.

“I thought that was for others.”

“Your rights were read to you? You understood them?”

“Oh yes, English is my first language. I comprehend it and am quite fluent in it’s nomenclature.”

“It’s all an act. Isn’t it. In your head, you see yourself as George Sanders. I’m sure that snobbery such as that wouldn’t have gotten little Harry Peek beat up, wouldn’t it?” She watched Pierce’s head make the merest of jerks in her direction before he paled.

“Yeah, we may be stupid cops but we do do our homework. That little snobbery act is just that, an act. You barely finished high school. I even have your transcript. Wanna see it? You didn’t even study hard back then.”

She paused a moment before leaning in until her face was inches from his. She didn’t yell. She had learned that quiet speaking could sometimes be scarier.

“So cut the crap. You’re no better that the rest of us. You married money and took it and ran with it once your wife died. You knew that your daughter was in that house. What did you do? Stand there and watch him rape your daughter? Watch him pull out clumps of hair, then make her kneel against that wall? Watch him put the gun against her head and blow her brains out? What kind of father are you? Did you need money that bad?”

She watched the man’s lip start to quiver as she spoke. Then she had a sudden flash of insight. She sat back down and stared at him for a moment. The thought hit her like a slap and she looked at him, remembering what they had said about the autopsy. Semen in her stomach but none anal or vaginal.

“You! You raped your own daughter? What kind of father are you? Used a condom so there would be no proof that you did it. You! Then killed her so she couldn’t talk?”

There was silence for a moment. When Pierce finally spoke, it was quietly, as if remembering.

“There was so many there. Men and women. I fucked several women, then some big guy’s ass...” she glanced at Doyle. “...then someone else. It was dark and it became a mass of people fucking or snorting or drinking or popping pills. People came and went. Finally it dwindled down and I realized what I was doing. But I didn’t kill her. He did.”

“He?”

“John Browning. That’s all I ever knew him as.”

“And you watched him kill your daughter? Never thought to report it?” The man said nothing. He went stony silent.

She stood and crossed to the door and spoke to the officer outside. “See Mr. Pierce to a cell for the time being.”

“Are you not going to let me leave?”

How can I? After what you just told me, I have a shitload of things I can charge you with.”

She walked out and watched the officer lead Pierce away. Turning to Doyle, she said wryly,

“I think that you may have some leverage against Danny next time that you meet him.”
 
Davis was brilliant, He had never had seen a man worked as a puppet like that. Partly because Doyle liked to beat confessions out of people and partly because he was never around as good a detective as Davis was.

After she walked out and told him that he would have a lot more to work Danny over with, Doyle wanted to kiss her right then and there. He knew that couldn't happen though and just nodded. Then he walked back to his desk and to a pinboard where all the facts of the case were put up. There were pictures of the crimes at the crime scene, there were all the notes they had made. The whole thing made him sick. This man would not stand trial he would see to that. He then took a pen and wrote the name, John Browning. Vick walked up and patted his shoulder. "Kurt and I looked up the name the second he uttered it. There are seven in the state. None of them have priors, two are in care homes, one with severe dementia. The others are spread out pretty far, we have locals picking them up, they'll call when they have them. We are going to the only one in the city now. Want to tag along. Doyle turned to Davis who said she had to check something out and would touch base after. So he grabbed his coat and the three were off. John Browning lived in a large condo complex in downtown. Close to the university. They buzzed up but no one answered.

"Might not be home, it is the middle of the day, most likely at work," Kurt said, this was probably what true, but that didn't sway, Doyle from wanting to see in the house. They waited until some young man opened the security door and they followed him in. They went up the elevator to the fifth floor and to number 507. The three knocked no one answered.

"No ones home man," Vick said and turned to leave.

"Did you hear that?" Doyle said in a quiet tone. "There it is again."

"Come on man, Rice said it had to be by the book. We can't let him off on a technicality." Vick said warning Doyle. He had seen and done this same tact many times. To gain entrance without a warrant to pretend to hear someone calling for help, then you are duty bound to enter and help the person or persons in trouble.

"He ain't getting off cause he ain't seeing the inside of a courthouse." And with that Doyle kicked in the door, gun raised, the three went in and what they saw made them stop in there tracks.

There on the livingroom wall was a mass of pictures. Pictures of Pierce, his daughter, Danny, Becca, Rae and of course the two Detectives heading up the case. This wasn't what he expected to see of course. He looked closely at the arrangement. There was a system to it. An order Doyles mind couldn't make out. He knew it was there but couldn't finish the puzzle as it were.

He and the others looked at it and through the rest of the house for a long time. "Place smells like ammonia, whoever has here cleaned it so we wouldn't find any trace of them. I doubt that the real John Browning lives here. I this it's an alias. The bed looks made there are no clothes here nothing in the dresser, and the kitchen is full of spotless dishes, the fridge is empty too." Kurt said as they met in the living room again.

"Call the geeks and get them working. Get Davis here too." Doyle said giving orders to the others.

"That's just it boss, I've tried her three times. She ain't answering." Vick said. Doyle had a pang of worry but hid it well.

"She might be out of reach where she is. She said she had to check on a lead." Doyle tried to sound unworried but was really worried, this advisory had proven he was more than a match for them.

"Geeks are on there way so are some beat cops and photographers. We'll seal this place down. You can..." Kurt started to say but left the rest. He knew the score with Davis and Doyle. He knew there was no use in saying it out loud.

Doyle looked from him the wall again. That was when he spoted it. The Cabin. His cabin. He shot from the room like a light and was speeding down the street heading for the interstate. He called Link who answered on the scond ring.

"Ya man."

"Link the killer knows about the cabin. He knows I own it." Doyle said into the phone. "Lock that place down I'll be there in two hours. Don't fucking leave and kill anyone but me. I have my kit in a false wall in the closet. Ammo, my M4. and a tack vest. Keep her down and quiet. There is a crawl space she can hide in."
Doyle said and hung up. He was worried but found he was less worried about Rae and Link than he was about Davis. He tried her a few times then called the captain, who said he had heard from her not an hour earlier and that he was was return to the station asap. Doyle ignored him and drove on, trying Davis every five minutes as he drove.

Doyle pulled up to the cabins rear down a little-known road and walked two miles till he saw the back clearing. He called link and gave him his coordinates Link acknowledged and Doyle walked the rest of the way. He entered and saw the two, Rae was worried and angry looking. She swore at her husband and walked out of the room. Link gave a sitrep, and the two went and looked around the cabin. Finding the spot where the photo was taken, it was not disturbed. There was no trace anyone had been there for a very long time.

"Dude, you sure this was the spot?" Link asked.

"Yup." Doyle looked around and back at the cabin. He stood for a bit and thought. That photo was familiar to him now. Then it hit him. It was the photo shown to him by the agent. Two years ago. Doyle slapped his head. "Fucking idiot." He tore off back to the cabin. Not caring any longer about Rae or Link, he knew they were safe. This was a way to get him away for a few hours. He grabbed one of his rifles and ammo then took off for his car and back to the city. He called Davis over and over, swearing that he couldn't reach her.

He got back to the city and the condo by seven that night and the place was crawling with cops and CSI. Kurt and Vick told him that Davis hadn't reported in yet. "Get me, Danny. He'll have answers. Bring him to the house where this all started to see if we can jar his memory." Doyle said seething with anger.

KC
 
It didn’t make sense. No matter how much she strained, she couldn’t move. Carefully she worked to wiggle different parts of her body. Fingers moved, but hands had limited range of motion. Toes could move in her shoes, but once again feet were limited. After several seconds of trial and error, she realized that she was tied to a cold hard table. Wrists and ankles were tied tight. Arms stretched over her head, legs spread eagle with ankles tied tight.

And she seemed to be blind. She tried blinking repeatedly, but the world remained dark. She felt the blindfold tied over her eyes. There was a gag in her mouth, drying it out.

The back of her neck burned. When she was a kid, she had an uncle that smoked. Accidentally she was burned with the tip of the cigarette. Still had the scar on the side of her hand to prove it. This pain reminded her of that. Shit! She was definitely in trouble. He must have her. Her brain was still a bit fuzzy but nevertheless she tried to remember what had happened.

She remembered grilling Pierce. They had a name. John Browning. But that was it. She had gotten a message on her phone from an officer. She had not recognized his name. Said that he had an informant with possible info that was willing to talk to her. At least that was what the message said. She had stepped into the parking garage and walked towards her car.

That was it. Suddenly she was here. But where was here? Straining to hear her surroundings. Water dripping from a faucet? Distant scuttle of some animal. Rats? Could she be in some basement? There was a feeling of dampness. That would fit a basement. Or even a warehouse.

She tried the bindings. Definitely tight. Her wrists hurt. Fingers going a bit numb.

In the distance, she heard movement. Something bigger. Someone. Closer and closer, she heard it from far away, footsteps sounding hollow, echoing off of walls, as if walking down a long hall, until the sound of scraping and a door opened on squeaky hinges. Footsteps seemed to stop, her captor looking at her? What kind of victim did she make?

His voice was soft. She strained to hear. Didn’t think that she recognized the voice but at the moment she wasn’t sure of anything. Except she was in trouble.

“You’re awake. Good. That will leave us plenty of time to play.” Then quiet.

She flinched when he touched her calf. Big hand that easily surrounded a majority of her leg. She could hear the smile in his voice. “A bit on edge? I haven’t even done anything yet. Oh, except for the stun gun. Sorry for that.” Strong fingers touched the back of her neck. Found the spot. Pain shot through her at the nerve ending being irritated by his touch. She smelled...vanilla. Was he wearing scent?

“Do you think that partner of yours knows you’re missing yet? I’m sure that he has been calling you. Of course, I turned your phone off.” Hand slowly wandered up her panted leg.

“You probably wonder why. I’ve watched you for some time. Watched you work your way up the ranks.” His hand rested on her thigh, and though there was the material of her pants between her leg and his hand, she still felt a chill run through her.

“I didn’t want your partner to miss you or feel left out. I left him a little gift at his home.”

She grew still, afraid of what that gift might be and afraid that this John Browning might just tell her what it was.

“You’ve been sleeping with your partner. A married man. Naughty woman.” There was no inflection in his voice and the hand on her thigh seemed heavy. Fingers squeezed her leg tighter and tighter and she bit her gag to keep from crying out. Just before it became unbearable, the hand was suddenly gone and she heard footsteps walking away. A metal door closed, the scrape of a bolt finding its home. Her thigh was already achy and she knew that there would be a bruise. The cloth in her mouth wicking away any moisture, distributing it along the material that was forced between her teeth and tied behind her head. Her cheeks felt wet from it. Finger were asleep, wrists hurting.

Eventually the footsteps disappeared, so where she was in a big building. The general sounds returned. Rats? Shit! She still had no idea what this Browning guy looked like. Could it be an alias for someone she knew? After all, he said that he had watched her. Apparently for years. That could easily be another cop. If she had been grabbed in the parking garage, then it had to be a cop. Or someone dressed like a cop.

She started trying to move, trying to get free. It was hopeless, but at least if they found her body, they would know that she tried.
 
Doyle was hot, sweaty, and angry. The killer had been fucking with him. Now he was unable to get ahold of the brains of the partnership, this not only pissed him off it scared him. He had become dependant on her and now she could be in real trouble. Something was wrong that was for sure.

He told the CSI team what he suspected and when they heard that Davis may be in trouble he knew they would double their efforts to help. Something he couldn't have got from them otherwise.

He, Vick and Kurt went back to his place seeing Davis was using his car. He walked up and saw his front door ajar. Pulling his 9mm he motioned for Kurt to go around back and Vick to stay at outside in case anyone got by him. All three had their guns drawn. He moved quickly and with purpose through the house. His military training taking over. He went from room to room and finished in the kitchen. What he saw sickened him. There on the table was Becca. He knew right away that she was dead, she had been shot execution style and was missing the top of her scalp, and he knew where the hair was. It was in a bag in the labs downtown, pulled from a drain a couple days earlier. She didn't smell too badly which told him that she was put on ice. He touched nothing and searched the rest of the house. His sorrow for her was great but not as great as his worry for Davis. Becca he knew would meet an early end, he didn't wish it but he knew it would happen. You couldn't live that lifestyle and dodge death forever.

He called in the boys after he knew the house was empty. He also called for a team to come to the house. This would now delay him from looking for Davis even more. There would be questions and he knew Captian Rice would want him off the case. That he knew wouldn't fly. No matter what he would look for Davis, Rice couldn't do anything to stop that.

It was another five hours, now it was after one in the morning and he was finally allowed to leave the house. He and the men left and went looking for answers. Rice had demanded hourly updates, that as he put it was the only way Doyle would be allowed to stay on the case.

When they got to Danny he tried his usual tough guy schtick, Doyle hit him so hard in the jaw that Danny when he came too, knew that Doyle was not to be fucked with and that something was very wrong.

KC
 
Despite the temperature being somewhat cooler than she imagined that it was outside, she was thirsty. Her mouth tasted like the bottom of a birdcage and she would have killer for a simple bottle of ice water.

She supposed that she had been left alone for several hours. At least that was her guess. Time seemed warped here, with only the steady drip of the water from the faucet or whatever it was. The scrabbling noises of whatever creature it was had gotten bolder and more numerous.

Meanwhile, she had tried to get loose from her bindings, though all she had managed to do was probably cut them into her skin. That was what it felt like.

She jumped and stopped her movements when she heard the distant slam of a door. Shit! He was coming back! The footsteps steadily grew louder and closer until eventually she heard the bolt slid back and the squeak of the hinges as the metal door opened. She was not aware of holding her breath, but she could tell that they were the footsteps of the same person. There was the sound of metal rattling against metal, of wheels running across maybe cement.

“Ah, Kirsten, you were always impatient. Now you’ve gone and hurt yourself trying to get away.” There was a big hand - left, if felt like - on her right leg as the man began to cut up her right pant leg. With each snip, the material seemed to part and she felt cool air brush against the skin as it was exposed. Starting with her right leg, he cut all the way up, slicing through the waistband at the top. As the side of her pants seemed to fall back onto the table, she heard him walk around the head of the table that she was tied to until she heard him on her left side. Once again, his hand - this time she thought it was his left hand - as once again the man began cutting her left pant leg. Ambidextrous? Slowly his work revealed her until he snipped through the waistband. She lay there on the table, still wearing her blouse but from the waist down, she only wore her panties and a small piece of her slacks that came up between her legs. She felt the man pull on that material and cut it off.

“Well, I can see why your partner like to bed you. Not pregnant, are you? Wouldn’t want to hurt a baby.” She shook her head, still unable to speak. “Oh, look. My heavy hand did leave a mark on your skin.” Speaking softly, she felt a finger press on her thigh where the bruise must be. It must be someone that didn’t know her intimately if he wondered if she was pregnant.

“Tender? I am sorry.” He didn’t sound sorry. He sounded pleased with himself. Her heart started beating fast at the sound that echo off the walls. The crackle of electricity. A sound that she knew so well in her job. Her breathing was heavy, coming through her nose.

“Now, you will let me know when this hurts.”

She felt the stun gun against her left thigh and jerked, screaming as the crackle of it played against her skin. Her muffled screams were like music to his ears.
 
When Danny came to he found he was strapped tightly to a sturdy metal chair, he looked around groggily. His eyes went from the floor to the ceiling then fell on the pink, stained wall in front of him he was in the house where it all started. The room had light coming in through the window leaving a hazy look to the terrible smelling room.

"What the fuck! What's going on? Hello." He called out. He stopped talking when he felt the round, metal barrel of a .38 revolver against his head.

"We will ask the questions here," Doyle said. "I trust you know where you are. I know you remember that wall. The wall where three innocent people lost their lives to a psycho." Danny stared at the wall then looked from side to side.

"You can't! Yoooouuuu... Can't do this! It's... This is illegal!" Danny stammered. Doyle gave a hollow laugh. The others didn't say a word.

Vick and Kurt had been here before with Doyle, they had been with him when he had beat a confession out of a drug dealer. Killed a man after he had killed a hooker. Scared a young drug user who had rolled an old woman for money to get high. Scared him so bad he pissed his pants. It was always for the greater good they said. And now it was to find Davis a detective the whole station had grown to respect and like for the short time she had been there.

"So is selling coke, so is rape, so is theft and the myriad of crimes you perform on a weekly bases. Yet you are allowed to walk free, live your life as if you were as innocent as a church mouse. Becca's dead! You killed her and now you are going to pay!" And with that Doyle pushed the gun into his head harder.

"WHAT? Jesus fucking Christ! No... no, I didn't kill anyone. I didn't kill Becca!" Danny cried out. fighting against his restraints.

"But you knew she was dead!"

"Ok... ok yes I suspected she was dead." Danny almost sobbed.

"Peirce than. After he fucked you and Becca, and his own daughter, he left with her and killed her. You let it happen. A big strong guy like you? You let them kill your girlfriend, Peirce weighs what? A buck forty, you are two twenty, a big roid freak like you not only let him have his way with you, fuck that ass till you were screaming for more, but he also walked off with your woman and killed her!" Doyle knew most of this wasn't true but wanted to know just how scared he had Danny. If Danny lied here he would put the hurt on him and put the fear of God into him.

"No, it's not like that. Peirce didn't kill anyone. He... Well, we were all so high and things were going great, broads, coke, weed, cock, pussy. It was an epic orgy, everything was fine then all of a sudden John gets up and pulls out a gun. Tells us that people there had double-crossed him. Said they had to go. If I didn't help he would kill me. He's fucking nuts man. Crazier than you even. Well, we lined them up secured their hands and then and then boom, boom, boom one after the other... Oh, fuck their head just exploded. He then grabbed Becca and said that she needed to go with him. And Henry was in shock from his daughter just being killed and said nothing. Becca was so out of it that she didn't even put up a fight! She just went with him. He said that if said anything to the cops I was dead. Especially that Davis bitch he said he was crazy then he calmed down and walked off. He... Now that I think about it he seemed to have a hard-on for her. used her name a few times. Said that he would like to see her figure this all out. Or something like that, I was so fucking high man I really thought it was all a dream, I passed out and woke in my bed, I don't remember leaving the house even." Danny said almost laughing about it when he was done. Like it was some great party story.

The smash across the back of his head threw him forward. "Owww. What!"

"You knew he was after her. You knew she was a target and you said nothing? You had every chance to tell us and you said not one fucking word!" Doyle yelled and kicked him all the way over so Danny's face hit the hard, stained floor. Kurt using immense strength kept Doyle from killing him right then and there.

"Not like this man!" He said

"What was I to do? He was a killer! A real killer not like all those wannabe tough guys at the bar. He is crazy. I don't want to die and he when I kept my word he seemed to keep his."

"What were you to do? You were to be a human being! I know it's hard for a sick fuck like you but was it that much of a stretch? Alyssa dead! Becca Dead, Alyssa dead, Andy dead, Missy fucking dead. Who fucking knows how many others have died or will die because you are weak. A spinless little shit who deserves their fate and worse. And if Davis dies... Well, let's just get it out in the open. You will wish a pack of hungry dogs ripped your fucking nuts off for all I'll do to you. Vick, Kurt lock him at the warehouse. Get some people we trust to watch him. Drug him and keep him lucid. Tell no one else about it." With that Doyle walked out as Danny started to scream. He knew the others wouldn't let him down, he haled a cab and paid the Hispanic driver double if he made it to the station in under twenty minutes.

He knew that this whole thing had a lot to do with Davis. He called her old boss and asked for a list of cold cases, and recently released criminals that she had put away. Also a list of the cops she had crossed swords with. Her old captain was not too happy but agreed when Doyle said that she may be in trouble.

He went back to the station and went around the parkade. She entered it. He knew because the cameras saw her. There were none in the parkade itself though and his car was still there. Only cops can enter this area he thought. That meant something. He cursed himself and leaned against his empty squad car and felt his inadequacies almost overtake him. If she died it was his fault, his because he wouldn't have been a good enough cop to save her. A situation that if it were reversed he knew Davis wouldn't let him die.

Done feeling sorry for himself he gave his head a shake and went to his desk to go over any and all info that came in from the 36. Even Captain Rice left him alone. At that moment Doyle was more scared then he had been since combat in the middle east. He couldn't lose her.

KC
 
Despite being still blindfolded, she felt alone in the room. At the moment her body felt like a roadmap of pain. She had screamed from the torture of the stun gun until finally she had passed out. Now the room was much cooler and she realized that she was totally naked. He must have cut the rest of her clothes off. Was it in order to see his handiwork better? She remembered most of the torture and any part that she might have forgotten was probably a blessing.

Though still tied up, she tried to spend the time figuring who this was. She couldn’t help but feel that she knew him, sick fuck that he was. Every time that he spoke, his voice was soft as if trying to disguise it. She knew him. And since most men she knew were cops, it was a cop. Plus, he had been able to grab her in the restricted garage. Since he didn’t know that she could not get pregnant, then it was someone that she had not slept with.

He said that he had watched her rise through the ranks. She didn’t think that any of the cops at the 72 were even aware of her until she had arrived there recently. And he had to fit the description that they had gotten of their “Mr. Browning”. Had to be single. Married men just couldn’t be absent this much from home without drawing attention.

Her throat was killing her, sore from all the screaming. Plus she would cheerfully kill for a drink of water. Never thought that she would see the day when she would prefer water over scotch. Or brandy. Or gin. Hell, she needed to get her mind off of anything to drink.

Methodically, she ran over the cops that she had previously worked with at previous precincts and had not fucked. There was Cole Hansen. Typical geek, always trying to fit in yet never did. Somehow, she could not see him a killer.

Preston Jackson, on the other hand, was an egotistical son of a bitch that was cruel. Frequently brought up on charges. Not exactly the brightest bulb. Still, perhaps...

She pushed him to the back burner in her mind and shivered. It was definitely colder without clothes on. Her hands were asleep as was part of her arms. So much so that if he came in and untied her, she didn’t think that her arms would do what she wanted them to do. Would take some time to get them working again.

Hank Proctor. Now there was a name from the past. He had seemed a good cop, though a bit macho. She had thought that they might be interested in each other, but then she had been transferred to the next precinct and she had heard that he had what? Gotten married? No. Engaged? Yeah, that was it though she never heard whether the thing had fallen through or not.

Pete Waterford. Damn. There were too many men that she knew. Too many men it could be. Wayne Ford? Jason Collier?

Damn! She sure missed Doyle. The big lug with his quick temper and his hidden agenda. She knew him. Knew that he was looking for her. She knew that he was her only out. He was the only one with the balls to tear away all the crap and find her. Rescue her. Doyle! Find me! Wade through the shit and find me!

Meanwhile, she tried running through the list of men, cops that she knew but that didn’t know her. She was thankful that Browning stayed away. Maybe they were on to him.

Water dripped in the background as she considered each cop and prayed that her torturer would stay away.
 
It was another 24 hours since Doyle had started sifting through the mountain of information he had been sent by Davis old Captian. He knew she had worked at a couple others too, smart confident women in the police force in this state were viewed as trouble and would often be moved about.

Doyle had every cop he trusted sifting through it with him. Vick and Kurt hadn't left his side when they returned from getting Danny set up. Doyle hadn't ruled out someone at the 72nd but he doubted it seeing as she hadn't been there long enough to ruffle anyone's feathers. There was Gabby but he was gone and no one other than Davis and Doyle knew the story behind it.

The car had been clean which told him that she never made it to the car. Did she leave with someone she knew? Or was she taken? Doyle had let his disgust that there were no cameras in the parkade known a few times. Though truth be told he had used the garage for a few criminal transactions and even fucked a couple of the female officers in his car down there and was happy that no one was watching. But now it was working against him and he hated it. He had not allowed his thoughts to wander to her being already dead. That was from his training, negative thoughts were a crutch and couldn't help.

It was time to have another talk with Peirce. He got up and brought him to an interrogation room, sat him down and turned the camera so it filmed directly down. Henery smiled at him but only for a second. "You are going to tell me about John Browning. everything I want to know." Doyle said and pulled out a phone book from a bag and pair of lead-lined sap gloves. "Just so we don't waste to much time softening you up I'll tell you now that I can just about kill you and not leave a mark on you. I can have the techs show footage of us talking for a good hour to prove I never touched you and lastly, I am crazy enough to just blow you away and say you attacked me."

Henry swallowed and started to sweat. "What is it you want to know."

"Everything you've kept from us thus far!"

"And if I've told you everything?"

"Then I'll take out my considerable frustrations on you. I wouldn't suggest you take that route." Doyle said and started to walk around the table.

"He's a former cop. He has a chip on his shoulder. Feels he was cheated out of a promotion or something. That's all I didn't tell you!" Henry said quickly.

"That's a good start, but not enough!" Doyle put the book against Peirce's ribs and punched him four times as hard as he could, Mr. Peirce screamed out in agony.

"It's all I know." He said, drool dripping out of his mouth onto the table. Doyle worked him like that for an hour Henry Peirce never gave him more than that. Except for one small piece, that John Browning had known Danny, it came out in the orgy, he had seen Danny getting it on with Missy and he started to get rough with her. Missy fought back and John had subdued her. Danny, according to Henry made a joke that it was just like what he had done to him a few years earlier. Then Danny went back to the orgy and so did Henry. While Missy was dragged to another room by John.

Two cops eventually dragged Henry back to his cell and Doyle went to see Danny. Danny was where he knew he would be and was chained to a cot, an I.V. was in his arm and a steady drip of narcotics was being pumped into his blood. This served two purposes. One it kept him in a state unable to fight. Two it could be pumped up to kill him and it would look like an O.D.

Doyle walked in and saw to cops on the take and had them leave the room. He sat Danny up and worked on getting him to a state to answer the few questions he had for him.

Finally, after four hours of talking he had his answer, John Browning was a cop from the 51st station. The first station Davis worked as a Detective. He didn't remember his name only that he was tough and scary. He thought he must have scared Danny as he kept that secret all the way till this point. Even the threat of death and pain didn't get him to talk. This didn't bode well for Davis he thought. Getting his name wouldn't be hard. Danny had a rap sheet and the name of every arresting officer was on it. He hoped there would only be a couple of arresting officers from the 51st. He left him again and went back to the station and had Vick pull up Danny's arrest log.

KC
 
She felt as if she had run through every cop that she had ever worked with. Several of them had been possibilities, but every time she thought it through she eliminated them in the long run. After a while, the names just began to run into each other Harry, Tom, Frank, Joe, etc., etc., etc.

Meanwhile, she tried to block out the pain that was running through her skin. Throbbing that never stopped. The stun gun had probably burned her skin. She had hoped that over time the pain would lessen but it hadn’t. Instead it seemed to grow and she fought it by trying to review the cops that she had worked with. The basement remained cold, the goosebumps covering her bare skin.

By now, she was really thirsty. She didn’t know just how long she had been here. One day? Three days? She was hungry too. She felt weak. In an attempt to get her mind off of this, she figuratively shook her head to try and clear away the cobwebs.

This guy seemed to have been watching her for so long. Maybe she had not gone back far enough. When she had first gotten her detective’s shield, there had been two of them up for it. But there was only space for one in the department. She had beat him out by only a couple of points. Bested by a woman. As she recalled, the man had been pretty pissed. What was his name? Jackson? No, Jay... Ja... Jacob. Jacob Benson. Jacob Benson. John Browning. Same initials. Could that be it? Could it be that easy? She didn’t know what had happened to him. Surely he was a detective in one of the precincts by now, but as to which one she didn’t know. She had forgotten all about him. Apparently he had remembered her. Was all this death really over this one tiny thing? Getting beaten by a girl? Ridiculous! She would know for sure when the man came back.

‘Doyle, I need you!’ She thought. He was her only chance. Otherwise, this next time she had a feeling that she would be winding up bald on the table and the man’s next victim, with her brains splattered on the wall.

She heard the rats continue their search for food. All she could do was hope that they didn’t start looking to her for nourishment.
 
Last edited:
When Doyle looked over Danny's arrest record he was happy to see that only two officers arrested him at the 51st. Matt Pensworth and Jacob Benson. He looked them up, Matt was a model cop and had moved from being a detective to private security. Jacob Benson was a detective in the most boring station in the city.

He called up Matt first. "Hello, this is Matt Pensworth at able security solutions."

"Hey, Matt this is Jake Doyle Detective at the 72nd. Do you have time to answer a few questions?"

"Happy to for a fellow lawman. What can I do you for?"

"You were at the 51st when a young woman was there a Kirsten Davis. Do you remember her?"

"Yes I do, one tough cookie, didn't see eye to eye with us old timers, ruffled a few feathers. But a damn good cop I'll never take that from her. Also far and away the best shot we had. Though I don't think my peers would like to hear it! Ha." He said with a laugh. This didn't sound like a man who wanted her dead and he didn't seem to mind calling her out either.

"You say she ruffled a few feathers. Anyone in particular?"

"Several but it was young Mr. Benson that she seemed to be at odds with the most. You see they arrived near the same time, they came up the same ladder and when it was time for a cop to make detective, while let us just say we all thought the commish would have picked Jacob. But affirmative action came in and low and behold you have the cities third female detective in as many years. Now again don't get me wrong she was able and did deserve it, but Jacob I think had an edge over her."

"Because he has a cock?"

"Whoa, there fella, your words not mine. And Doyle don't think for a second that your escapades didn't reach us in the 51. So you can take that holier than thou shit and blow it out your fucking ass." Matt boomed. Doyle didn't want to argue with him but he already hated him.

"Sorry. Do you think that Benson was mad enough to take revenge?"

"You know what. Now that you mention it yes I could see it. Though they both moved on. She to the 36 I think and he... You know I actually don't know where. He fell on a lot of bad times after. Wife left him, he got pulled in for police brutality, he wasn't a man you would want beating you ass that's for sure, then again I hear almost the same thing about you. You meatheads should have it out to see which cop is the meanest in the city."

"That just might happen. Thanks for your time." And with that Doyle hung up.
"Vick head to Able security and watch the owner Matt, don't be seen he's an ex-cop and will spot you if you are sloppy."

"On it." And with that Vick got up and walked out. Next Doyle called in Jacob Benson. He showed up at the station in a worn suit and dark glasses, he was the exact man Henry described. He had Henry waiting behind the one-way mirror.

"That's him." was all he said and he was escorted out.

Doyle walked in and put a coffee down for him. "Thanks for coming we just need a light on an old collar of yours, A goon named Danny. Said you arrested him some years back for drugs. While he's wanted in connection with a big flood of X on the street and he's missing." Jacob Benson just blinked, then he said word for word the report of the old arrest he wrote up. Doyle wanted to kill him right there, he knew it was him and beyond all that he did, it was the fact that he had Davis that pissed him off the most. Doyle smiled.

"Yes but do you know where he might be hiding, perhaps he has an old haunt or a house that he will crash."

"Nope, Detective I really need to be going I have a pig I am dying to butcher!" Jacob said with a happy gleam in his eyes. Doyle was seeing red, be he knew that he had to let him go.

"Tell me about it, I love me some BBQ. Well that's I all, I am sure he'll turn up, I guess I'll just hit the bar he works at again." Doyle stood and with a pained effort, he shook Jacobs hand he had a firm grip and was definitely tough.

"Officer, I hope you get your man."

"Just between us. I doubt I will, he's a slippery one." And Doyle left, he knew Jacob would need to sign his pistol back out and that gave Doyle a few minutes, he got into a friends car and waited near the parkade entrance for the familiar crown Vic to pull out. Being one of the best at tailing people he was able to follow him to an old cold storage warehouse, that had been abandoned some years back. He parked and watched as Jacob entered one of the larger buildings. He called it in and prepped to follow him.

KC
 
Last edited:
The sound of the distant footsteps getting closer tensed her up. Right now, she had no way of stopping him. Couldn’t shoot him. Her only chance was to keep him talking. But for how long? Forever? Shit shit shit!

The footsteps stopped and there was the grate of the bolt being dragged back. Metal against metal, the sound bouncing around and around. Her heart was pounding in her chest. The whine of the door as the unoiled hinges complained. Footsteps walking across the floor to her. God, let her be right. Please God, let her be right.

There was his hand on her calf, and this time she didn’t jump. She was ready.

“Oh, Kirsten, you’re use to me already. I think that I’ll have to work on that.”

“Um woo abe at ud oo ut, Akon.”

There was a pause before she felt hands cutting the gag in her mouth. For a moment, she tried to draw up moisturize in her mouth, and fell short. The corners of her lips were sore, and probably bruised. With a somewhat croaky voice, she managed to speak.

“I would hate to put you out. Jacob.”

He said nothing for a moment, and she imagined the angered look on his face.

“Well, I guess you must think that you’re superwoman.” He was no longer disguising his voice. In fact, there was disgust in it.

“It had to be you. Everyone else would have a long time ago gotten over losing to a woman.”

Pain shot through her left breast and she grimaced behind the blindfold. It wasn’t something that a lover would do. This was intended to cause real pain. He must have pinched it hard, at lease that is what it felt like.

“You are under my thumb and yet you can’t help but be an asshole. You just refuse to learn.”

His hand seemed to run over her naked body as if claiming ownership. Pain shot through her each time he rubbed a spot on her body where the stun gun had zapped her. He stuck two fingers up her sex, pumping into her dry channel. “What’s the matter, Kirsten, not feeling sexy? Dry as a bone! Poor Doyle is going to miss fucking you. If course, that wife of his probably will be glad that your gone.”

“You pissed cause I never fucked you?”

“Oh, I’m gonna fuck you and then I’m gonna cut off that red hair of yours and set fire to your body. But first, I’m gonna enjoy causing you as much pain as I can.” She felt metal against her face as he snipped away the blindfold. Thank god the lights were not too bright it she would have been totally blinded. When finally she was able to focus, she saw Jacob bending over her, a grin on his face.

In his hand he held the stun gun, the electricity arcing between the metal prongs.

“Let’s have some fun, you rutting pig.”

There was the crackling sound as the blue light leapt back and forth. He pressed it to her thigh as the scream tore from her lips. Her back arched in pain as scream after scream bounced off the walls and down the long hall.
 
Doyle followed as close as he dare, he could neither afford to lose him nor be spotted, the meeting had gone to plan, what plan there was. Kurt was heading to Jacobs house and there was an EMS, and a SWAT team on standby, Doyle refused to give too much info for fear of alerting Jacob.

He pulled up to the warehouse and when Jacob entered Doyle got ready. A flak vest and his M4, and his Glock. No matter what either Jake Doyle was going to die or Jacob Benson would. And it would be a horrible death for the latter should Davis not be alive and well. He moved with purpose knowing that he had every intent to kill her. But would he play first? That was the hardest part, Doyle needed him to play first. Needed time to get to them.

The warehouse was large and damp, smelled of rot and misuse, there were rats and cobwebs, he knew this area well he had disposed of a few criminals out here. It was a perfect hiding place.

Thankfully there were tracks through the greasy halls, and he liked to work alone, it was easy to follow. Then he heard a scream, his blood froze and boiled all at once, moving now with real purpose he followed her screams. He wanted to scream out and let her know he was there but that would be a death sentence for her. He saw an old packing freezer must have been twenty feet by thirty feet. He saw lights emanating from it he got to the door and gave it a try. 'Creak' "Fuck" Doyle swore as the door opened, he saw Jacob turn, he was on her, handling his partner, his lover, his friend. This sick fuck was hurting her, torturing her. She was naked on the steel table her wrists and ankles bound.

"Not so stupid after all!" Jacob said and grabbed a large serrated knife from a side table, Doyle raised his rifle as Jacob went to slash Davis's throat. The bullet went through his right shoulder forcing him to drop the knife, the second missed his head by a millimeter as he rolled off her to the floor, Jacob lunged at Doyle taking two more in the arm and the collarbone. Doyle was tackled to the floor. He heard Davis saying something but the ringing from the rounds being fired in a confined metal room made it so he couldn't hear her. A connected punch told Doyle that Jacob had some fight left in him and that he could still be the victor. Then he thought of all the harm he did to Davis that and that alone gave him the adrenalin to fight on and to win. He rolled Jacob off him and got to his feet first, his rifle was now ten feet from him, Jacob was now a crazed beast, blood covering his entire upper body, his right arm dangling limply,

"That cunt ruined my life, no matter how long I go to prison I'll get my revenge," Jacob screamed, his anger at not being able to exert his wrath upon her any longer evident in his wild eyes.

"Prison! That's funny." Doyle said and in a flash pulled out his sidearm and put one between Jacobs' eyes. He fell to the floor and was no more, Doyle rushed to the table and began to untie Davis, he was almost weeping as he looked at all that she had been through. "I am so sorry Davis, I tried to be here faster. You're ok now, I got you." He said over and over, he saw the cracked lips that he so loved to kiss, he saw a water bottle and gave it a sniff when he tasted it. "Just water." He mumbled and after sitting her up he let her drink, Doyle, pulled off his jacket and covered her. When she was safe and only then did he call for the backup. They were there in twenty minutes. Vick had been called off watch and had brought a blue police cadet tracksuit. "We need to talk this through and get you to a hospital. I won't leave your side though." Doyle said helping her on with the tracksuit. Vick stood outside the metal doors.

KC
 
Last edited:
The face that hovered over her was pure evil, with Jacob’s eyes reflecting pure hatred. Even as her own screams blended with the electric current of the stun gun, all she could hear were those noises. Were these sounds to be the last that she heard in this Earth? Was his face what she would die seeing?

She never heard just what made him stop. Suddenly he picked up a large knife, the light from the naked bulb overhead flashing on the blade. There was a crack and Jacob dropped the blade. With her movements restricted, she was unable to keep up with the actions happening around her. But she knew that it had to be Doyle. She tried turning her head and saw the fight go down to the floor out of her sight line.

“Get him, Doyle!” She tried to yell but being without water for too long left her voice sounding garbled. All she could do was lay there unable to move to help. Now more than ever did she feel inadequate and totally useless. She worried about her partner.

That cunt ruined my life, no matter how long I go to prison I'll get my revenge

She could hear the crazed anger in his voice. The anger in Doyle’s voice was something that she had never heard before, at least not to that extent.

The crack of the gunshot seemed even louder this time. The room seemed to spin. Then Doyle was there, untying her arms and legs. There was no feeling in them and they refused to do what her brain told them to do. And try as she could, she was unable to make a coherent sound. But thank god she was safe.

I am so sorry Davis, I tried to be here faster. You're ok now, I got you.

Then he was holding a water bottle to her lips and she sipped, the excess dribbling down her chin. She wanted to cry but there was no moisture in her eyes. Everything became a jumble and she was glad Doyle was holding her, even though her skin screamed with every touch. She didn’t know how he managed to get her dressed. As he picked her up to get her out of there, she passed out.

She woke up briefly in the ambulance, the noise of the siren piercing as she swayed with the movement of the car.

“Doyle!” She whispered his name and suddenly he was there, whispering to her and gently taking her hand. He said something and then she passed out again.

The electronic beeping sound cut through her consciousness. Her pain had lessened and she suspected that it might have something to do with the IV in her arm. Her senses were fuzzy and she was grateful for it. There was so much that she longed to ask Doyle and she turned her head to look for him.
 
Davis slipped in and out. a few times on the way to the hospital. Captain Rice had allowed Doyle to ride with her as Vick and Kurt followed while the rest of the police did their thing at the scene of the crime.

In the ambulance, he held her hand and she looked up at him. His eyes damp and his anger that she had been put through all this still fresh in his mind. He told her to just rest and in no time he would be feeding her soup and watching some stupid movies with her.

At the hospital, she was rushed into a trauma room to make sure the taser didn't do any lasting damage and to run a rape kit seeing she was in the nude when Doyle found her. They wanted to make sure all was ok with her before he would be allowed to see her again.

"What happened. Preliminary reports say it looks like you killed an unarmed man!" Rice said in the hall outside of the room Davis was in.

"He assaulted her both physically and sexually, killed five people we know of, and he attacked me. I defended myself. End of the fucking story." Doyle said not liking that the Captian wasn't willing to wait until Davis was alright before asking all the questions.

"No way you could have brought him in to shed light on why he did it?"

"No not any I could see. And we know why? It was all a revenge plot to fuck with and eventually kill Detective Davis. I've always said it, sir, you can't cure crazy." Doyle said. The two men watched a sleeping Davis being rolled by on a bed an IV in her arm and in the better light the bruises around her face and neck were evident. Doyle looked at the Captain. "He didn't deserve to live no matter how you look at it, sir."

"IA will want to talk to you and you are suspended till after a full investigation. I know why and I agree with you, but it looks like a revenge murder and that is not something you are allowed no matter the situation. This will give you time to sort out... Well whatever it is you two need to work out, I'll have your back all I can trust me." Rice left after and Doyle went to Davis's room. She had to share a room luckily the other person had been released and it didn't look like a new one would be there right away. He had a seat and watched her sleep, it was several hours before she woke and when she looked around he hoped up and went to her side. "Hey, beautiful." He said and kissed her forehead lightly and took her hand into his own." I see you needed some sleep." Was all he could think to say. He knew he would need to hear it all but wouldn't pressure her for a single detail until she was fully ready to relive it. that went for anyone else, he would see to that.

KC
 
Last edited:
Hey, beautiful.

He kissed her forehead and she was relieved to see him safe.

I see you needed some sleep.

She smiled weakly at him.

“He didn’t hurt you, did he?”

She started to cry which she attributed to the drugs. “I don’t know why I’m crying. This isn’t like me at all.” She looked at him somewhat drugged, her eyes refusing to stay open. “Partner...Doyle...you saved my life. I owe you...my life. He hated me so much.” She started to drift off a bit, her voice getting lower. “Doyle, I...l prayed that you...you would find me...figure it out. Thank you...”

The medicine in the IV took effect and once again she drifted off to dreamland as the tears dried on her cheeks.

Some time later, she woke up again. Doyle was nowhere around and instead there was a woman in a white coat.

“Hello Detective. I’m Dr. Yates. I’d ask you how you feel but the drugs in your IV may be giving you a false positive at the moment.” The woman smiled and Kirsten tried to smile back.

“It looks like your body took quite a bit from the stun gun. It’s not permanent but for a while your skin may be a bit sensitive.”

The doctor moved closer to the bed. “I’m guessing that you probably already know about...”

“...about being unable to conceive? Yeah, I know.”

“We needed to do a rape kit on you.”

She just nodded her understanding

“Is there anything that you want to ask at the moment?”

“How long will I be here?”

“Several more days. Until you’re able to walk with help and you can go to the bathroom instead of peeing in a bedpan. We are going to start weaning you off the pain killers.” Kirsten glanced around looking for Doyle. “Are you looking for your partner?”

“Yeah,” Kirsten’s answer was weak

“He’s been here almost constantly. I think that it was his, or rather, your boss came by and pulled him away to talk to him. He will probably be back soon.” Dr. Yates turned to leave. “If you need anything, just press the button.”

With that, she was alone with her thoughts and the memories of the hell that she had endured. But there was much that she wanted to know. Like how long she had been gone? Did they ever find Becca? How did Doyle find her? And what about Jacob? Was the man dead? And was Doyle going to be okay?
 
After she woke and seemed to be able to talk and think a little more clearly Doyle hoped to talk to her about what she would tell the officers that were sure to be there to question her later that day. But he couldn't bring himself to do it, he watched as her concern for his well being overtook her. Here this beautiful, tough as nails cop was breaking down, letting down her guard her armor in front of him. Only in front of a person you really loved could you do that when you were as guarded as these two.

The drugs he was sure didn't help her out there but he knew then that she loved him. The drugs also worried him though. Worried him that she might let something slip about the other life he led. He knew those IA pricks wanted him and wouldn't stop taking any advantage they could to get him.

He assured her that he was 100% fine and that she only need to worry about getting well enough for him to take care of her at her place.

Davis nodded off again and within the hour Rice came in. "Doyle IA is here, come on." He said in his deep tone. Doyle didn't want to leave her but he knew this was coming.

Outside the captain's office were two IA cops. A young woman named Holt, and a man Doyle knew all to well a screw named Ian Marks. "Doyle glad to see you are alright. Sally Holt, Internal Affairs we have a lot to discuss with you and Detective Davis. Captain rice demanded that we allow her to rest. So we will start with you. Oh, and you are banned from going to her room till our inquiry is finished. Wouldn't want you two to talk about anything without us there." She said in a cold tone. She had obviously heard about him and Seeing her partner hated him. Well, he didn't expect much less.

"Fuck that!" Was all Doyle said, "That's my partner and she's been through more than any woman, hell any person deserves? I won't have her sitting in an empty room alone without a friendly face there." Doyle said he could feel his anger rising.

"It wasn't a request detective." Ian piped in.

"Hey are my detectives under investigation for a crime I've not been made aware of?" Rice asked his own anger rising.

"Detective Davis has been exemplary up till she came to your station. We've now heard that she's colluded with known mobsters. been involved in three armed conflicts, we also think she's taken bribes." Holt said cooly.

"All she's done here is help catch two of the cities worst criminals you at IA mingled with at all the fundraisers you people attend instead of stopping crime," Rice said he didn't like them attacking Davis while she was unable to defend herself.

"Be that as it may she's suspect now. And her history with Officer Jacob Benson seems to suggest that she leads a life that isn't that clean." Holt said equally loud.

"She was targeted because she's a great cop, she was targeted by a man who was too mentally unstable to be a mall cop never mind one of us. She was targeted because he was jealous. five plus people died because he was angry that a woman was a better cop." Doyle was now yelling. The room was beginning to resemble a scene from 12 angry men.

"ENOUGH!" Captain rice boomed. All the detectives outside the room stopped in their tracks to look in on what was happening. "You will question Doyle now, and Davis this week when she can answer all questions without being on any major painkillers and with me there."

"Agreed," Doyle said, he didn't like it but knew that without any major painkillers in her Davis wouldn't be fooled into admitting shit all.

"Fine, he still isn't to go near her!" Holt said.

Ian led them to an interrogation room and put a recorder on the table. "let's begin." Ian said and then hit Doyle with a million questions. Rice stayed in the room and stopped Ian several times when he felt he was digging for dirt that didn't have anything to do with the case at hand. When they left they had nothing. Doyle knew that they hadn't given up and Davis and he hadn't heard the last of them.

The hardest part was talking about Becca, he hadn't given her a lot of thought as he was only concerned about Davis. Now that she was alright he needed to take care of that he also knew that he would be questioned a lot more about where she was found and that she had a history with Doyle other than that of being his sister in law. This would pass he was sure but he was in for a rough time. He drove the hours to the cabin and watched Rae rip the cabin apart, he listened to her rage at him and Davis for not protecting her sister and finally demanding that he leave, she never wanted to see him again. He agreed to move out of the house and to sell the house and the cabin should she wish it, leaving all proceeds to her. After he would set her up with a little cash and that would be that. He left her and Link, telling them it was safe to return, then he went and made Danny OD on smack, leaving his body in his rundown apartment, paid off the cops who watched him and went to the hospital, he knew that she had a few more days on the heavies and chanced that IA wouldn't watch to close. Plus Doyle knew how to operate unnoticed.

KC
 
Last edited:
A while later the door opened and a skinny guy walked in. Davis recognized Lance White from when the man had helped her on the shooting charge earlier. The man crossed to the bedside and looked down at her.

“Hello Lance.”

“Christ, Davis. You hanging in there okay?”

“Yeah. They’ve started reducing the dosage on the big drugs.” She smiled weakly at the guy. “Have a seat. I’m not sure exactly where Doyle is...”

“IA has him right now. As a matter of fact, the two of you are being kept separate until IA has their chance at you. They even put a guard on your door. I’m here cause I’m your rep. I won’t let them question you till you’re off the heavy drugs.”

“Thank you. I do appreciate it.”

“Listen, If you prefer to have a female rep, I certainly understand. But there is gonna come a time when IA is gonna come asking. The more I know...”

“I know. I know. The better advise you can give me.” She took a shaky breath.

“Take your time. I’ve got all day.”

She started out about getting the text and heading for the car. “Next thing I knew, I was blindfolded and gagged, and strapped down on some table, I think it was. I never actually saw it. Back of my neck felt like it was on fire and I realized that whoever it was used a stun gun.”

She closed her eyes as if remembering. Licking her lips, she continued. “The first time he came in, all I could tell was that it was a man.” Lying in the hospital bed, she spoke and for the next hour and a half, she recounted the kidnapping, the torture, the rape, more torture, and yet more torture. Lance blanch at her story and though she tried speaking in a monotone, the sweat breaking out on her forehead told him that above all, she was a woman that had been through a harrowing time.

By the time that she got to the part of the story where Doyle had found them, Lance knew that personally, he was glad that the man was dead.

“Jacob told me that he was pissed ‘cause I beat him out for a promotion years ago. I’m a woman and I beat him out and so he held it against me. Wanted me to scream and cry and beg. Then he told me that he planned on scalping me and then slit my throat.”

“When was the last time that you remembered seeing him?”

“Years ago. When he didn’t move up to detective, he transferred out and that was the last that I had seen of him.”

It was getting hard to concentrate and she gave a grimace of pain. The pump on the IV whirred to life and gave her a dose of pain killers.

Whereas before, Lance would have maybe pet Kirsten’s hand to comfort her, now he hesitated and kept his hands to himself. Instead, he have her a sympathetic smile.

“I think that you’ve talked enough today. I’ll come back tomorrow and we can talk some more. You rest and work on getting well. Get your strength back. If you need anything, I’ll leave my card by the phone.”

Lance left and Kirsten closed her eyes and tried to slow her breathing down. She sure missed Doyle.

Finally the drugs took effect and she drifted off to a dream world full of terrifying sounds.
 
Doyle, of course, thought he would just walk into the hospital and go up to her room and see her, Holt and Marks had obviously known this and set up a cop at the door, whats more it was a cop that he couldn't reason with. After a time he left the hospital and went to his now crime scene home. Becca had been removed and the whole house had been combed over thoroughly by CSI and IA. But Doyle wasn't dumb enough to leave a single shred of evidence in his home.


He sat in his kitchen and looked at the table where her body had laid. All of this because a mad man was pissed off at Davis. He would never understand the criminal mind. He knew he couldn't stay there any longer so over the next few days he hired a cleaning crew and when he could he would move out for good leaving the house to Rae. It was paid off and he would never want to return to it. He had also drawn up separation papers to which Rae was more than happy to sign. He warned her to keep her mouth shut about all she might know. She knew to take him at his word and swore she wouldn't talk to anyone. Not that she really knew anything. He kept her in the dark about most everything.

From there it was off to a hotel near the station. Perhaps he would get a condo near Davis. He Didn't like how IA had been acting, he was cornered more than a few times and asked questions that they had asked many times. Doyle knew this game and answered the same every time. This he thought pissed Marks off more than anything. Soon though he would have enough and guard or no guard he would see Davis. He was still on suspension while the investigation was going on so all he could do was paperwork at his desk which left him a lot of free time. For this, he drank and went to the range and thought of Davis all alone in a hospital with a couple of scumbag IA sharks circling waiting for the chance to strike. Thankfully Rice and Lance had done their bit to protect her.

Vick and Kurt were also banned from seeing her, Marks knew they were his best mates and thought Doyle might use them to pass information to her so they put a stop to that. Rice was allowed to see her but he was too honest to do anything for him. Though he was protecting her that was as far as he would go.

Good news came three days later that it was looking like he would be cleared for the shooting of Jacob, the evidence showed that had he not shot than Davis would have died. This was good news indeed but of little comfort as long as he was kept from her. He wanted to hold her and lay with her all day and night. And when she was ready and only when she was ready he wanted to make love to her again. But that would wait till she was good.

Danny had been found by a landlord and ruled an overdose, the case was closed as quick as it was opened.

As the days wore on Rice was starting to feel the pressure of not having his two best detectives on the street and soon it was him on the phone yelling for IA to finsh up. "We are questioning her today, the Dr. says she is on a low dose pain killer and ready for us to talk to her. You of course are welcome to be in the room as is her rep, but I will not allow Detective Doyle in there also. Am I cleare?" Marks said to the captain.

"Crystal. What time?"

"Three pm."

"I'll be there at two you two had better not bethere talking to her before three!" Rice warned. They agreed and the meeting was set.

"SO?" Doyle asked as Rice hung up.

"Three today, you are not allowed to be there. After they question her I'll lean on them to allow you in the room. Now I'll ask you again are you two fucking?"

"No of course not!" Doyle lied. Should the Captain know he would have to separate them for sure.

"I'll ship your ass out of the fucking state should I find out different. Just so you know. I like you Doyle, I like Davis and you two work well together but I'll take her over you!" Doyle nodded at this and got up to leave, he would go and wait for the call that told him that he could see her again. He didn't envy Davis, Holt and Marks were chomping at the bit for this chance and they wouldn't pull any punches.

KC
 
It had taken several days for the drugs to be gradually reduced enough for her to be made available to Internal Affairs. Kirsten had an idea that part of the wait was also to give her personally the time to accept what had happened to her. In fact, Rice and Lance had jumped on Ian Marks and Sally Holt and reminded the two that if she was too doped up, nothing that she said would stand up later if there was a further investigation.

For several days she felt like she was incommunicado. The only people allowed in her room were Lance and Rice and a handful of doctors and nurses. She missed Doyle but it was all for the best. She knew better that to ask about him other than to ask if he had been hurt in the scuffle. Otherwise, she kept mum. Besides, no one would tell her anything, so she had no idea what had happened to Becca, or Pierce, or Danny, or even Jacob. It was frustrating but she really had no choice but to accept it.

After several days of lessening meds, it was decided that she could handle IA. Lance sat beside her bed as she was propped up against the pillows, and Rice stood by the door.

“Now, if things get a bit mixed up for you, or you start to feel that the drugs are affecting your memory, just tell me you need a few minutes and we can make them wait outside until things clear.”

Rice opened the door and in strode the suits. Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee. If one didn’t look past the obvious male/female look, they actually looked the same.

And so it began. They must have asked her 15 million times as to when she last saw Doyle. The last that she could remember for certain was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. They kept trying to trip her up, but she stuck by her guns.

When did she get taken? How long did he have her? On that one, she had to claim ignorance as between being stunned unconscious several times and tortured repeatedly, time was not something that she had been able to keep track of. Plus being without food and water, and being gagged and blindfolded all added to the confusion.

It was uncomfortable when it came to questions about the actual torture and rape. No woman actually wants to be raped, and being tied up and raped by a psycho that’s already killed several people and intends to cap the killing spree off by adding you to the dead list is not an attractive prospect.

Finally it came down to the last minutes before Doyle rescued her.

“Jacob was pissed cause I beat him out of a job. He was even pissed when I figured out that it was him. By then, he cut the blindfold and the gag. He was determined to show superiority over me. He told me that he was gonna fuck me again, cut off my hair and burn my body. But first, he wanted to torture me some more. That’s when the stun gun came out and he went at it. I don’t know what stopped him but he grabbed a huge knife and tried to slash my throat. He was saying something to someone behind me head. I think that it was Doyle. Then there was a noise and he dropped the knife and the next thing I knew, Doyle was trying to keep Jacob from killing me. I was still tied up and totally helpless. Jacob kept yelling ‘I’ll kill the cunt!’ Doyle stopped him from killing me. Jacob was crazed.”

She paused, asking for water. Once she had sipped, they went at her tooth and nail, trying to trip her up. But she stuck to her guns. Two hours later, they finally called an end to the whole thing.

“Listen,” Lance stepped in, “she’s answered all your questions. Even the ones that you repeated 3 and 4 times. Her answers have never wavered. Now, this woman is still recuperating from being tortured repeatedly. She needs her rest.”

“And I’m taking the guard off of her door. Enough is enough.” Rice stepped in and indicated that the whole thing was over.

She was glad to see the backside of everyone as the past couple of hours has really worn her out. She soon drifted off to sleep and wished for Doyle.
 
It was probably the most miserable few days of Doyle's entire life, with all that happened to Becca, drafting up papers to leave his wife and not being able to see Davis.

He thought a lot about his decision to leave Rae, he knew Davis played a part but he didn't love Rachel anymore, and she certainly didn't love him. This would happen whether or not Davis was in the picture he told himself, finally though Rice called him to tell him that he could see his partner. That all charges were dropped and that he was dead serious about keeping her over him. He ignored everything but the part about him being able to see her. He was at his lawyer's when the call had come in and ended the meeting almost right then and there.

"She gets the cabin, the house, the car, and one hundred g's from this account that's it and that's all, the cabin with worth maybe one fifty, the house is worth five hundred that is all she gets. Get her signature on it, Myles." He said almost threatening him.

"Where the fuck are you going Jake, we have hours of work here." The skinny man said looking at a mountain of paperwork.

"No, you have hours of work. That's why I fucking pay you. I will be unavailable for several days and I mean it! No calls for a week at least. Bye." And Jake almost ran out of the office, he sped across town to the hospital and ran to her room whipping the door open, he was like a kid getting to finally play with a toy long denied to him, or a love-struck fool seeing the woman of his dreams for the first time. either way, this was all he wanted in the world. There were the token flowers on the window sill and the smell of a room that had just been wiped down.

"Hey, you. How are you feeling?" Doyle said looking at her. She was if possible even more beautiful now. Something about what they went through seemed to bond them, much like combat does to fellow soldiers. Still mad that he didn't get to her sooner he was just happy that she was there in one piece, damaged but whole. And no matter what it took he would help her over the next few hurdles.

But first she would need to be filled in on everything, it wouldn't be pleasant but it had to be done.

KC
 
The cleaners left, leaving her room filled with the smell of disinfectant. She was afraid that she herself probably stunk as they had only given her sponge baths in an attempt to let the burns heal. Nevertheless, she still felt a mess, wishing she could shampoo her hair and really get clean. Maybe once home, a nice tub bath sounded good.

There were flowers in the window sill, a cheerfully colorful arrangement from the guys at the precinct. She wondered if that included Doyle. The cop on the door was gone. No word to her, just gone. Lance had dropped by quickly and told her that it was over and Doyle had been cleared. He seemed hesitant about touching her and that was okay with her. She thanked him and then he was gone.

When the door opened, she figured that it would be Rice. Instead, it was Doyle. Damn, she was glad to see him.

Hey, you. How are you feeling?

“Better. You?” There were dark circles under his eyes and the man looked tired. “Damn, Doyle, they’ve been putting you through the ringer, haven’t they? I’m sorry.”

She had been seeing a shrink there in the hospital to talk through the trauma from the rape though there was still a bit of hesitation about being touched. She was sure that in the end though, she would work through it.

“Tell me, what’s going on in the outside world. I don’t even know how long I was gone. I’ve been kept incommunicado here. Guess they were afraid that I might give a false answer.” She looked pointedly at him, hoping that he would understand what she was trying to tell him. Until she was home safe, she couldn’t trust that there were not bugs or even someone listening outside her door. But she wanted Doyle to know.

“Can you believe it? They kept asking if you and I had a thing going on? Kinda made them mad when I asked those two IA detectives if they had a thing going on together, after all they were partners too. I think that they probably labeled me a smart ass. I did notice Rice’s ears perk up waiting for my answer.” She gave a chuckle but held eye contact with him. “I told them no, though I thought you were the best detective down there. After all, you saved my life. Thanks partner.”

She waited, still curious as to what had happened to the case and its players.
 
Doyle smiled when she looked up at him. She asked how he was, concerned for his well being, that was so Kirsten. "I'm fine. Well, not fine but better now. And you have no need to be sorry for anything, not to me, not to anyone!"

He walked up and pulled the chair he had used as a cot the first night up to the bed and caressed her hand, it had an I.V. in the large vein and the bruises had turned to the dark yellow and faint brown over the week, the burn marks still almost glowed red. He knew that was a telltale that the man used considerable force and held the stun gun to her skin for prolonged periods of time. It sickened him Jacob didn't suffer near enough for all he did to her and the others.

"Well those IA fucks questioned me about everything for many hours, like you they wanted to trick me up into giving up something. I didn't think of calling them out though. Good one. ha." Doyle laughed, he could just see her shooting it back on them. "As for what's happened. Well... A lot has happened. Becca was killed, it was some of her hair in the drain, Benson left her corpse at my house. Found it the night you were taken. She had been dead two days they figured. Danny ended up being some help as did that spinless fuck Pierce. Without them, I wouldn't have found you. Danny OD on smack four days ago found him in his rat hole apartment. Also, I'm leaving Rae." He left that for last, not sure if he was even going to tell her at all. But if anyone deserved to hear it from him and fast it was Davis. I've been off duty since you were found, so as to what's happening at the station I really don't know. I do know that there is a serious case concerning a porn ring. Filming of porn is illegal in this state as you know. I think you and I will get it. Might even be some undercover work. But that can wait till you are better." He said hoping the thought of getting back to work would please her. Davis and Doyle were not ones to dwell on the past. Getting back to it would be important to both of them.

He caressed her hand a little more. "What else... Well, Pierce's lawyer wants to plea down to obstruction of justice, sexual assault and assault, and battery, seeing he was high when it all went down. If he gets murder two of rape he'll never see the outside of a prison again. The DA thinks the case is strong enough to push for life without parole. With all we uncovered and found it's a strong case. That's on your partner." Jake leaned in and kissed her hand gently. That was all he could think to say to her, he hadn't heard what was happening with her or how fast she would be discharged. Doyle was pretty sure it would be soon though, She still had bruising and burns but nothing to keep her there. Not physically anyway, mentally he had no idea. He still had no idea all that she had been through, Davis had relayed it to Rice and IA with Lance in the room but none of them told him shit. So he only knew what he guessed. But that would all come in time. Slipping off his shoes he made to get comfy, Doyle wouldn't be going anywhere for a long while.

KC
 
Back
Top