The Construction Thread

That makes sense. I've also seen it with concrete block in new construction, and in things like fast food restaurants.

It's just funny seeing carpenters with tin snips and battery drills instead of hammers.

lol

Fast food places are kinda funny. I've never built one but the ones I've seen are all over the place in terms of materials. Some are almost totally wood and others are filled with metal. I don't know enough about their standards to know if there is a reason for that.

Wood and conrete just don't mix very well.

Hilti Gun!

pic338.jpg

I'm proud of this job. It looks beautiful with the new cedar shakes,
The St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church was built in 1894.

StNicholas.jpg

i10719_1169015124l.jpg

StNicholasDay071.JPG

I looked at the first pic and was going to ask you "so did you scaffold out the whole thing or work out of manlifts"?

Two ladders and a pick!

Rock on.

Really? I always wonered why so many commercial projects use metal.

One thing, it does make it easier to run wires and pipe through the walls.

The guys really don't like wearing harnesses. They say that the tie-off ropes get in the way and are more dangerous than not wearing the gear at all.

Fast food places are kinda funny. I've never built one but the ones I've seen are all over the place in terms of materials. Some are almost totally wood and others are filled with metal. I don't know enough about their standards to know if there is a reason for that.

Sure enough, this was a remodel job and they tore out all the old wood wall studs and replaced it with metal.

The plumbers had the worst job and had to tear up most of the concrete floor and replace all the underground PVC drain pipes that the acid soda had completely disintegrated over the decades the place was around.

Makes you think about Soda.

lol

The guys really don't like wearing harnesses. They say that the tie-off ropes get in the way and are more dangerous than not wearing the gear at all.

When they build the apartment complexes here, a couple of years ago. there were 3 roofers that broke bones because of the harnesses. All because they were tripping in them.

The only time I've ever worn a harness was up in a genie lift bucket.

That is not an uncommon complaint about fall protection, but I have worked under very tight safety regulations where it was required and the job went just fine. Falls can be nasty.

That is a wonderful building in your pics. I love the copper.

What abput wood vs. metal 2x4 studs?

I've actually been a welder on a job for NYC Public Housing where they had some new system. "Structural track and stud" I guess you could call it. Prefabricated sections of load-bearing wall, all sheetmetal but a little heavier than usual, shop-welded, all around the outer perimeter. Regular concrete plank on top. Very fast, very cheap way to build an apartment building. I wouldn't want to live in the thing. Punch a wall trying to hit your wife and bring down the whole thing on your fucking head.

I have to look at things before they are built so I try not to think in terms of what can be done and instead look at what's best.

Nods. But if you want to put wooden studwork on a concrete wall, you can't beat one of those fuckers. They'll also punch a four inch nail through a steel beam.

I've actually been a welder on a job for NYC Public Housing where they had some new system. "Structural track and stud" I guess you could call it. Prefabricated sections of load-bearing wall, all sheetmetal but a little heavier than usual, shop-welded, all around the outer perimeter. Regular concrete plank on top. Very fast, very cheap way to build an apartment building. I wouldn't want to live in the thing. Punch a wall trying to hit your wife and bring down the whole thing on your fucking head.

These were different. No welds at all. Not prefabbed. Stick built and actually screwed together. Then usually screwed directly to the structural steel or attached to the masonry with heavy metal plates bolted down.

NHS. There are no medical expenses. It's free.

So, a guy doesn't put on his safety gear and takes a bad fall, losing the use of an arm, or his left nut or something, the NHS takes care of him and family for the rest of his life?

I've seen this. It should be structurally sound and looks good on paper but I'm with you on not wanting to live in one.
There is a stadium (Illinois I think) that has no interior support. It works, it's never had a problem and is near-genius but fuck if I'm gonna spend any time in there.

So, a guy doesn't put on his safety gear and takes a bad fall, losing the use of an arm, or his left nut or something, the NHS takes care of him and family for the rest of his life?

His medical is free. If he is disabled, he will get disability or invalidity benefit until he can work again. Not NHS, but the govt pays, yeah.

Back