Mint and Honey

"I'll leave ya to it, then," Brogan nodded, rising from his seat.

"Just remember to have that new tea tonight, and we'll see if it helps at all," Alex reminded his uncle.

"I won' forget. Julia wouldn' let me forget anyway," Brogan assured him before stepping out with a nod to Yasmine. Alex motioned Yasmine over.

"Sit down and we'll take a look," he murmured as he opened up his satchel and dug through it. He was trying not to think too much about the night before.
 
Yasmine bowed to Brogan as he passed her by, leaving her alone with the healer from the night before. She moved to the seat that had just been vacated. She carefully took her glove off, showing him the darkening bruise and swollen joint.

"Captain Ghis will not train me with my hand the way it is. He said I was to come and see you to get it taken care of." Yasmine commented, watching as he searched through his bag for what he might need.
 
"And rightly so," Alex muttered as he began pulling out materials for a hand splint and a jar of mixed herbs. "If you'd let me take care of it last night, this wouldn't be nearly as painful."

He took her hand finally, and it felt like fire shot through her hand as he felt for the break and worked the broken bones back into place.
 
"I didn't think it needed much attention." She said with a shrug as Alex pulled out various materials and took her hand, working the joint with skill.

She hissed at the sudden pain, struggling to keep her fingers from flexing and ruining his work. It was excruciating, but she bit back the pain as best as she could.
 
"It's a broken bone. In two places, as far as I can tell. Of course it needs attention," Alex told her as he remained completely calm and straight faced despite her struggle. When he was finally satisfied with his work, he began setting up a splint around it that would keep her first, middle, and third fingers from bending at the first knuckle. Before he completelt wrapped it, he drew another jar from his bag and opened it up. The strong smell of salve wafted up as he spread some of the thick paste on her skin. It numbed the area almost immediately and he finished wrapping it in record time as if he dealt with broken bones every day.

"Keep that wrapped for a week. I'll come find you to check on it, and we'll see from there how long it'll be before you can use it in training again." Alex inspected his work carefully with a critical eye before finally packing his things away again.
 
"I've had broken bones before. They have healed without help." She commented as he mentioned that it was certainly broken and it would need attention.

Yasmine didn't talk a lot about her life, but it had certainly been hard. She was pretty, which drew unwanted attention from men that wanted her to bow. She would never bow to a man like that. She had promised herself that a long, long time ago.

"I live at the barracks. I won't be going anywhere any time soon." She answered as he said that he would come and find her in a week to check on the healing.
 
"As long as you run with the Axemen, you'll want to take extra care of any injuries so you're always ready. You might as well anyway, as the keep treasury covers soldiers' medical treatment," he explained. "And aside from all that, that bone wouldn't have set properly on its own. You're lucky any others did. The only way to fix that is to break them again."

Aside from his soft-spoken ways and his absolutely calm and neutral expression, there was something gentle about Alex. Perhaps it was his strange eyes, which were blue like a were cub's.
 
"I'm not one to live off charity. I pay for everything that I have." Yasmine said as she stood, staring down at Alex as he calmly told her that she was lucky her previous injuries had healed correctly. "I always have luck on my sides. Perhaps one day it will run out, but for the time being, I thank my lucky stars every single evening before I lay down to sleep."
 
"Just make sure you don't test that luck too much, and take care of that hand. Kosava Solstika'am." He rose as well, but turned instead toward the library shelves to go seek out a few books. His grandfather's old journals were always a source of learning that Alex could expand upon.
 
Yasmine frowned as she watched him stand, wish her a happy Solstice, and head towards the books that lined the library's shelves. "You are the strangest man that I have ever met." She said bluntly, perhaps a little harsh but the complete truth.
 
"And why is that?" He asked as he pulled down an old leather bound journal with an image of Venice etched into the cover. He flipped through the pages, intent on examining some old entries about broken bones. He seemed entirely unbothered by being called odd.
 
"You didn't brawl last night. You didn't even seem phased when I kissed you." She said as he pulled out a book and flipped through it without a care in the world. "You are a very strange man."
 
"I try not to fight. A hurt healer is a useless healer," he muttered as he scanned the pages. "And I'll admit I didn't know how to react to you. I still don't." He paused on one page and fetched his own notebook, copying down a few lines.
 
"Do you ever not work? It must be exhausting to work all of the time. Life is about having a little fun now and then. And not taking everything so seriously."
 
"Just because I'm working doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself." Alex finally met her gaze, his own still calm as could be. "Besides, I have to take over for my mother at the moment so she can rest. That's reason enough for me."
 
"I don't believe you enjoy yourself for a moment." Yasmine said as he insisted that he had to take over for his mother for the time being. "You'll work yourself to death. I've seen it many times, from both humans and weres. They think that they are happy and content, but they aren't. I would hate to see a handsome man like you end up in an early grave."
 
"You're very forward, aren't you?" Alex asked with a slightly raised eyebrow, though his tone let her know he took no offense. He was proving to be rather a pacifist and non-confrontational.
 
"I was encouraged to find my voice as early as I possibly could. Women in my home town are not valued as they are here." Yasmine said as Alex looked at her with a completely neutral look. "I had to fight for myself and learn to care for myself. I do not apologize for how I am or who I am. That also goes towards what I have to say. They are only my opinions and observations."
 
"Good," Alex said simply with a nod. "Never apologize for that." Putting his notebook away, he shouldered his satchel. "I have to pick up a few things, so I'll be on my way. I'll see you soon, Miss...?" He realized he hadn't asked her name yet.
 
"Yasmine. Yasmine al-Zariq." She said as Alex paused and asked her what her name was. "Named after my great-grandmother, a warrior in her own right."

She moved to the side to allow the healer to leave, knowing that he probably had far more important work to do than to look after her broken hand.
 
Last edited:
"Yasmine," Alex repeated, his accent an odd combination of Scottish and Italian picked up from his parents. And then he introduced himself, "Alexander Ambrose Irons." He gave her a final nod of farewell before he stepped out. He glanced back once, but his expression was still so calm and neutral that it wasn't clear what he was thinking.

Despite his uncle's welcome, Alex didn't stick around for lunch, choosing instead to continue his work and simply pick up something to eat on the way. But it was doubtful he'd even remember to get anything. Brogan settled into his seat beside Julia in the great hall with a sigh as he watched Alex leave. "Tha' lad's gettin' worse than Val."
 
"He's a good lad. Stays out of trouble and helps his Ma. There's little more than any of use could have asked for." Julia said with a smile towards her husband as he commented on his nephew.

Yasmine took a seat with some of her fellow soldiers, listening to them talk about their plans for the Solstice. She had never been to a solstice celebration before and was a little uncertain as to how to join in the celebrations. She quietly listened as they talked about the various things they would do as soon as they were off duty, including visiting the tavern.

There was a slight hush that fell over the room as the Queen of Scotland entered, having decided to stay in Inverness until her child was born. Her Lord Protector was right there beside her, guiding his wife with a hand on her back. Kate looked tired, her belly finally beginning to grow large and show the country that she was truly carrying the heir to the throne.

"Afternoon, Da." Kate said, kissing her father's cheek as she took a seat beside him. "I'm sorry I'm late. I slept the morning away."
 
"Hiya, darlin'," Brogan murmured, kissing Kate's cheek in return. "Don' worry about it. Y'need the rest."

Other Ghis children soon arrived as well, including Ciaran with his mate. They greeted Julia and Brogan before going to sit with the Rangers so Ciaran could discuss something with his officers. Rhodan appeared with both his little sisters in tow, making sure they were settled before he took his place at his mother's side. Though Sam didn't often join the family for lunch, Rho couldn't help glancing to the empty seat where Sam usually sat when he joined the night watch for breakfast before they went home. They were all worried about Sam, who'd gone off to take a drake to Sweden, only to write to them and say he was staying there and making a circuit of the Triad thrones until spring.

As they settled to eat, Kell's sharp golden eyes inevitably caught the new face among the soldiers. It being his job to protect Kate, he couldn't help noticing changes or new people. "Who is that?" He asked quietly to Brogan.

"I don' know 'er name, but she's with th'Axemen, said Durban sent 'er in t'Alex fer an injury."
 
"Uncle Durban mentioned that he had taken in a new recruit. She had started training with him recently." Kate mentioned as her mate asked about the strange face in the crowd. "He seemed very impressed with her. I think he said her name was Yasmine."
 
"Hm. Alright." Kell let it go at that, knowing she was nothing to worry about if Durban could vouch for her.

A few more Ghis family members filed in before the meal was served, and Yasmine would find herself directly across from another famous fighter in the Ghis family. Kreston Maliar had a reputation as Julia's go-to general and as a secondary Captain of the Gol Dun warriors. Though he'd previously not had any official military rank, Brogan had recently made Kreston an honorary General of Inverness. Although it didn't require him to be a part of everyday military operations, it did mark the Ghis family's appreciation for him, and reminded everyone of his abilities. It would also come into play should real conflict affect Inverness again.
 
Back
Top