Mental Illness

yüzgerme

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yüzgerme
 
Something I noticed this summer, if people thought my girl was in the hospital due to physical issues, they were empathic and kind. If they thought she was there due to mental issues, they dismissed her and the whole thing. That's not right. Mental issues ARE physiological and no one WANTS to have them.

:eek:
 
Something I noticed this summer, if people thought my girl was in the hospital due to physical issues, they were empathic and kind. If they thought she was there due to mental issues, they dismissed her and the whole thing. That's not right. Mental issues ARE physiological and no one WANTS to have them.

:eek:

Yes, quite.
 
6.gif
I think watching that's making me a little crazy.
 
So I never expected this. While I'm flattered that my adult kids think I can do anything for them, I can't actually do anything for them.

I was never worried about empty nest. I was looking forward to it and me time. The transition isn't going so smoothly.

I still feel like I am tethered to them and their needs. On hold for them. I can't wait until I feel they can handle their lives on their own!

Not saying I don't want them to want to spend time with me at all. I just don't want them to NEED me.

Right now I'm really worried about my son. I'm not sure he can make this college / sports team opportunity work for him. He has some real deficits in his abilities school wise. He is very smart but his short term memory is very small. He has dysgraphia, dyscalculia as well. Plus he has pretty severe anxiety and depression.

If he can't make it there, I'm worried about what he will be able to do and how bad his mental issues will get.

Meanwhile I'm not getting enough sleep, I'm sad and anxious.

Last night before he drove back to college I helped him get some work done. I feel a tiny bit better but still greatly anxious.

I may be short selling him. I hope I am. His coping mechanism seems to be "ignore it" and that also drives me crazy.

Hopefully each week he can do more and handle more in time to reach his goals.

Meanwhile I feel like I have bugs crawling under my skin, can't breathe and am exhausted.

Like I said I expected to be doing new things not waiting for the next shoe to drop.

:eek:
 
Like I said I expected to be doing new things not waiting for the next shoe to drop.

:eek:

Maybe it's just the waiting period that you need to get through. You know, when the fledgeling leaves the nest, and you have to wait & watch to make sure he can fly....:rose:
 
Yes. Thanks! I'm so hoping he can with all his issues.

*fingers crossed*

Maybe it's just the waiting period that you need to get through. You know, when the fledgeling leaves the nest, and you have to wait & watch to make sure he can fly....:rose:
 
Today I hate my meds and my doctors. The docs don't listen to me about the meds causing side effects. One med is making me have cramps and I hurt from prior injuries anyways I don't need this shit. My Doc wont listen it's driving me nuts. plus the med seems to either make me want to sleep or I can't sit still. I'm fucking tired of it. I want to find a med that works and doesn't make other shit worse or cause some serious side effects. I've been off the last 2 months to get shit straight and it has not gotten that way at all. I detoxed off one and started 2 other meds to replace the other one I detoxed off of. I'm just tired of having a mental illness. I want a new fucking brain
 
Thanks for posting. This gives me some hope for my son.

:rose:

My brother has a form of dysgraphia. Combined with his ADHD it was near impossible for him to do any homework other than math, which he frequently tutored other students on. He could explain things verbally, but he was completely unable to compose a written sentence. Writing anything where he was required to state things "in his own words" basically required a third party to write down whatever he dictated as fast as they could, as asking him to slow down would grind him to a halt.

He had an exceptionally rough time in high school, & was expelled after asking the a teacher to protect him from bullies "or he would protect himself."

College went much better for him. He found a study group in college that fit him perfectly, and completed both a GED and a technical program...
 
O just celebrated 30 days of recovery. She seems to be doing well. She asked my sister in law to be her sponsor, which I consider a good sign. O is extreemly manipulative and quite the liar (I know, a junkie who's a liar, that's original), but so was my sister in law. And my sister in law isn't the type to put any effort in to someone she thinks is snowing her, and everyone says she's got a pretty strong bullshit-o-meter. The fact that she agreed to be O's sponsor is, I think, a good sign. And, honestly, I'm really glad O's in the hands of family, even if it's not technically O's family.

As a bit of background, the way I met K was through my brother in law (K's brother). He and my stepdad (O's real dad) used to be best friends, so he's kinda like an uncle to O.

Anyway, just wanted to give a positive update, what with my bitch fest in the blurt thread. :nana:
 
In the past 6 months or so, my depression and anxiety have steadily worsened. My doctor has made multiple changes to my meds and their dosages, and so far nothing has helped. It's to the point where I'm only working 1 or 2 days a week because I get so uncontrollably anxious.
 
*HUGS*

I'm so sorry. Wish I had some great idea or tip that would help.

:rose::rose::rose:
 
O just celebrated 30 days of recovery. She seems to be doing well. She asked my sister in law to be her sponsor, which I consider a good sign. O is extreemly manipulative and quite the liar (I know, a junkie who's a liar, that's original), but so was my sister in law. And my sister in law isn't the type to put any effort in to someone she thinks is snowing her, and everyone says she's got a pretty strong bullshit-o-meter. The fact that she agreed to be O's sponsor is, I think, a good sign. And, honestly, I'm really glad O's in the hands of family, even if it's not technically O's family.

As a bit of background, the way I met K was through my brother in law (K's brother). He and my stepdad (O's real dad) used to be best friends, so he's kinda like an uncle to O.

Anyway, just wanted to give a positive update, what with my bitch fest in the blurt thread. :nana:

Awesome! I really, really hope she continues to get better. Keeping my fingers crossed for y'all.

In the past 6 months or so, my depression and anxiety have steadily worsened. My doctor has made multiple changes to my meds and their dosages, and so far nothing has helped. It's to the point where I'm only working 1 or 2 days a week because I get so uncontrollably anxious.

I'm really sorry you're having difficulties. :(

I don't have a lot to offer, other than my sympathies, unfortunately. Are you able to exercise at all, even if it's just inside your house or a walk down the street or something? I know that when I'm anxious, it helps to blow off some steam that way.

(Says the fat girl who should be exercising a whole hell of a lot more than she does. Do as I say, not as I do.)

I dunno if that will help you or not. But I hope you start feeling better soon. We're all here if you need us. (That goes for everybody.)
 
In the past 6 months or so, my depression and anxiety have steadily worsened. My doctor has made multiple changes to my meds and their dosages, and so far nothing has helped. It's to the point where I'm only working 1 or 2 days a week because I get so uncontrollably anxious.

Just don't give up, marie. Sending serene thoughts your way...
:heart:
 
Ok, I'm not 100% sure this should go here, but it damn sure wasn't worthy of its own thread, so this is where it's going to land.

I was diagnosed with linear scleroderma when I was in kindergarten. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I could not have been older than 6. I've struggled with migraines for years. I'm also crazy (clearly). This link states:

Localized scleroderma has also recently been associated with brain involvement, particularly with linear scleroderma and the type known as scleroderma en coup de sabre or Parry Romberg's syndrome. Findings include focal and progressive brain lesions, progressive brain atrophy, epilepsy, neurological symptoms, intracerebral inflammatory processes, migraine headaches, and trigeminal neuralgia. Therefore, neuroimaging studies should be considered in all patients with linear scleroderma, and certainly when neurological symptoms occur.

I have several reactions to this.

1.) I always said "localized" wasn't really freaking "localized." Kind of a shitty vindication there, though.

2.) Migraines are correlated with a lot of autoimmune disorders and with a lot of mental disorders. Hmm.

3.) Bipolar is often treated with anticonvulsants originally developed for epilepsy. Mine is held in check for the most part with Lamictal, a broad-spectrum anti-epileptic drug.

4.) Autoimmune disorders, mental disorders, and migraines are all often attributed at least somewhat to genetic factors, though no specific "autoimmune gene" or "crazy gene" or whatever has ever been isolated. It appears that these things are spread out across a number of genes.

5.) I find it plausible that at least some of the same mechanisms are present in ALL these things. Clearly, there's not just one on/off switch, but the correlations are interesting overall. Makes you wonder just exactly how these things are related, anyway, and gives lie to the ol' "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" bit.

You can't draw any conclusions from mere correlations, of course, but it does make me wonder what science may come up with in the next 20 years or so. I hope I'm still around to see it.

/nerd Bunny
 
In the past 6 months or so, my depression and anxiety have steadily worsened. My doctor has made multiple changes to my meds and their dosages, and so far nothing has helped. It's to the point where I'm only working 1 or 2 days a week because I get so uncontrollably anxious.

I'm so sorry. Is it okay if I pray for you?
 
Of course, graceanne, and thank you.

We upped my Wellbutrin dose, so maybe that will help. And I really should get more excercise, yeah.
 
Stag of Oberon,

*HUGS*

Sleep issues make everything worse. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you find a way to get what you need.

:rose:
 
I've never been diagnosed with much more than ADD & chronic depression.

Psychiatrists told be that my observable patterns indicated that I also had a learning disorder, but they couldn't figure out what it was (even though dyslexia was staring them in the face). It's entirely possible I have another learning disorder as well...

I was a very late reader, and I read very slow, but I can read & write upside down and/or backwards, sometimes without realizing that the material I'm reading is misoriented. I do not write misoriented by mistake, but my mother has commented that my writing tends to be extraordinarily legible because I am drawing the letters, not writing them.

After a lot of self observation I realized that the methods by which I read are essentially backwards, and slow me down considerably as a result, outstanding comprehension aside. When I look at a word longer than one or two sylables, I look at the last sylable and the shape of the word first, followed by the first sylable and the rest of the word. It sounds like an efficient way to read... it's not.

My dyslexia primarily gets ugly when I have to transcribe numbers. My own observation on this is that numbers fail to form words, which have distict shapes and patterns... numbers are just strings of gobledygook. Strings of spoken numbers are audible static to me... not only can I not remember a single number in a sequence I hear, I find it very difficult to focus (on anything) while someone is listing off numbers to me.

In my past struggles with depression and PTSD there have been a couple times I would say I lost lucidity. It's hard to describe... & right now I'm not up for trying.

I've been increasingly depressed lately; less so than in the past but less able to adjust contributing factors; namely sleep.

I understand your pain is the best way to put it. I suffer from PTSD, can't sleep, Depression, and a some other crap as I chose to call it. Hang in there and if you need some one to talk to you can me as I can also use someone to talk about what is going on with me.
 
My girl is having a rough day today. Scares me because I never know what her limits are if any. She told me at least but she doesn't want help. All I can do for her is to share positive thoughts and caring I guess.
 
I don't know how to respond to this...

Thank you?

Most of my struggle with PTSD is in the past now, however a big part of it was feelings of inadequacy. How dare I get so fucked up over a domestic issue. When police drove by I used to flash back to being arrested after being assaulted, & being tricked into talking when I shouldn't have. When my upstairs neighbors at the time would fight (as they often did) I would flashback to *her* screaming & throwing things at me.

I had one flashback that was simple in it's horror. I was having a milkshake after a tooth extraction, & *she* was laughing at me while I spilled it all over myself. There is nothing unpleasant about that at all. I don't even know for sure if that's really a memory, but it's the only memory I now have of the 12 hours following that tooth extraction, during which *she* took advantage of me.

Someone told me something unfortunate that stuck with me; "real men flashback to explosions & people dying."

My pathetic ass had coldsweats & nasuea to a flashback of a milkshake & *her* laughing, and oh how terrible it was to have to learn to enjoy milkshakes again...

As i said though, I haven't had trouble with PTSD in quite a while now, lately it's just depression, & relatively mild at that, it would be downright manageable if I were getting enough sleep.

PTSD is PTSD for you what ever caused it for you. It was traumatic enough to be PTSD. Fuck whoever said what they said to you about the real men. AS for the Depression and sleep I get If I sleep 4 hours i'm doing good these days. Have you tired going to the doctor for sleep meds? Sometimes lifestyle changes can help. Cut back on caffeine, exercise in the morning, eat healthier etc.. research some stuff talk to your Doctor. Try some herbal teas fro sleep with melatonin in it it helps me some. I'm seeing a Social worker, A Psyc PA and taking a variety of meds plus doing lots of other stuff to try to return to a somewhat normal life once again. I hope you can work through this too before it becomes a larger issue.
 
Delayed sleep phase syndrome - kind of an answer for a lot of things around here.

Basically this means that once upon a time there were 3rd shifts and jobs as the night watchman or town crier for people who have this. Some of us just ARE night people, end of story.

Now, as people have to FORCE themselves onto schedules unnatural for their bodies, they discover that this creates all kinds of mental stuff. Mental stuff is then diagnosed as mental stuff, the sleep issues are still unaddressed, and the failed meds pile up. Common syndromes to coincide are ADD, OCD, depression.

Unfortunately, the answer is to either roll back sleep very gradually, have PERFECT sleep hygiene every night forever, or find a way to monetize yourself by night.
 
Back
Top