Pure Moonlight (closed)

Arin was shaking after Mariko was finished, clinging to her father as the healer promised that the worst was over. She felt like such a terrified cub as Ghell held her, tears of embarrassment and fear coursing from her eyes.

"I don't think I want to go outside." She whispered, losing her courage in the moment.
 
"You don't have to be afraid, little cub," Ghell murmured, and Mariko stepped back to let the father comfort his cub. "It's just a part of the process. You won't have to do it again as long as you're careful."
 
"Arin." Telma said softly from the doorway, holding a sleeping Katya after Ruben and Norr had told her what was happening. "Loki is waiting to see you. He's back with his family. You can come and sit on the stone bench with Timmal. I'm sure he'd love to spend time with his auntie now that he's awake."

Arin was quiet for a long moment after that before she nodded slightly. She was giving in and letting her family take care of her. She had bouts of frustration, sadness, anxiety, but she also knew they would take care of her if she only let them.
 
Ghell scooped Arin up carefully, carrying her outside to the stone bench where he set her bound leg up on it with her. Loki was back in a nearby tree, and upon seeing Arin he hopped to the closest branch with a caw of greeting after swallowing a worm he'd caught in his cracked beak.
 
Arin's mood was still low when Loki came to greet her. Usually the bird made her so incredibly happy, but she found herself barely able to crack a smile. She knew that her mood was of her own doing and she simply had to get over it and convince herself to be happy again.

Katina soon came out with some pillows, helping to get Arin more comfortable on the stone bench. Once she had fussed over her cub, she decided to leave her alone. Arin always did best when she was on her own.

"I've never seen her like this before, Da." Telma murmured as they stood a small distance away and watched Arin. "Not even after she first injured her leg."
 
"It's not easy for a wolf to be stranded, unable to move without someone else's help. But it's finally sunken in that this isn't going to be easy. She was so eager, but now I think she's regretting her decision. She never imagined it would be so tough," Ghell murmured in return. "I know what it feels like... in a different way."
 
Telma nodded slowly and glanced towards Ruben as he appeared with a wiggling Timmal. The baby squeaked and moved, much more vocal than his sister ever thought about being.

"Arin? Would you like to hold Timmal?" Telma asked as Arin glanced at them all and thought about it for a moment.

"I don't know if I should." She said softly.

"He's pretty hearty. There's not a lot you can do to mess things up." Telma insisted as she and Ruben stepped forward with both of the twins.
 
Ruben placed Timmal in Arin's arms and the cub finally quit squirming when he caught sight of the crow, staring wide-eyed up at Loki who seemed to like the amazement and attention.
 
"What if I drop him?" Arin asked, looking down at the cub in her arms.

"You won't drop him, Arin." Telma said softly as she watched her sister struggle with her confidence. "He might be squrimy, but he's not so slippery that you'll let him drop."

Arin nodded, not believing her sister as she watched Timmal stop what he was doing to stare at the crow that was watching him so intently. Arin glanced up at Loki and laughed softly at the look in his black eyes.

"There will be more and more as time goes on, Loki." Arin murmured softly.
 
Loki puffed his feathers before shaking, and hopped down off the branch and onto the bench. Ghell and his girls were the only people he'd get close to, but he wouldn't get any closer until Ruben backed off. When Ruben took a couple steps back at a sharp look from Loki, the bird finally hopped toward Arin and pulled ever so slightly at Timmal's blanket to look at the cub.
 
Arin tilted the infant until Loki could get a better look at the black furred cub. Timmal watched the bird with his amber eyes, still and quiet as he tried to figure out just what Loki was. Arin had always loved Loki, waiting for his return each year with the rest of his family. He brightened her mood considerably, even if she were still wallowing in a bit of self pity.
 
Loki cawed quietly at Timmal, making the boy try to answer back happily. Loki puffed his feathers again, tilting his head. His curiosity sated, he took flight and soared away with other crows following a few seconds later.
 
Arin watched as Loki flew off with the rest of the crows, off to parts unknown until tomorrow. They would be back to eat the bugs in the morning. She watched them go as she hugged Timmal a little bit tighter, the tiny cub wiggling in her arms as he explored the world around him. She was a natural with cubs, always patient and kind.
 
Ruben left Arin to hold Timmal for a time while he helped Katina and Ghell with a few things, but there was always someone near if Arin needed them. Timmal seemed to be less squirmy in her arms, far too interested in the outside world to be hyper.
 
Soon, Selena and Kreston dropped in with Mako, the little wolf raring to go with the garden. He was hyper but well behaved, listening closely to what Ghell had to tell him. Arin watched her father with the cub, Timmal dozing in her arms as Norr sat beside her.

"Am I ever going to have a family of my own?" Arin asked her twin softly. "Sometimes I feel like it will never happen. With my leg...and my shyness...I feel like I'm more of a burden than anything."

She had talked to a few other wolves but nothing had developed. They weren't right for one another or the other wolf had simply moved on to other things. It made Arin wonder if there was one thing truly wrong with herself.
 
"Well according to everyone, we're too young to be worried about that," Norr murmured, watching Mako as well as the cub began carefully pulling up weeds. "But it all depends on how you feel. You just have to be open, scary as it can be..." Norr nuzzled her cheek gently. "If I can find someone to put up with me and bow difficult I am, I'm sure there's someone for you." That was the first he'd really admitted of being in love.
 
"So you do love her." Arin said softly as Norr nuzzled against her cheek gently. "I'd like to meet her again if you'd give me the chance. She seemed very nice."

Unlike Telma, Arin never pressed her brother about his personal life. She knew he didn't like talking about things and she respected that. He was still her twin and she loved him deeply.
 
"I might finally bring her around once you're on your feet again," Norr said with a shrug. "Might as well."
 
"You don't have to bring her around to meet the family. I can meet the two of you anywhere." Arin said, trying to make her twin feel comfortable in the situation. "And I can keep a secret. You know that I can."
 
"I just think it'd make Mom and Dad feel better if they knew how well she looks after me. I know how much they worried when they didn't know who Telma was seeing."
 
"They'd like that." Arin agreed, shifting Timmal into her brother's arms as she grew a little tired. "And one day, when I can run again, we'll all have to go into the woods to celebrate. I miss celebrations with this family."
 
"We'll do whatever you like," Norr promised. "And by then, this cub and his sister should be running around too. They might just be learning to walk while you're getting used to it again."
 
"We'll all learn to walk at the same time then." Arin said with a smile towards her twin as their nephew closed his eyes and rested in his uncle's arms. "They can teach me. I might need the extra encouragement."
 
"Won't be long now," he promised her. "Then I'll take you on your first run."

Inside, Ghell finally stepped away from the window to join Katrina's side. "I think Norr's at least got her talking again. She never realized how hard this would really be."
 
Katina glanced up from her pot of stew as her husband commented on the twins. She gave him a smile as she tapped her wooden spoon on the metal rim before she turned back towards him.

"You always worry about her a little too much, eldere." Katina said as she kissed his cheek. "Ever since the day that she was born. You were afraid she was too tiny, too quiet, too serious. She's just like you in a lot of ways. Both of you have gentle souls."
 
Back
Top