Who keeps posting crap comment?

All of my stories, and every day, are getting this comment:-

I am looking for a mature man! I have a profile on another site - http://bit****/2Kdfw6Q - I am a very cheerful person. If you like me, I will enchant you and more than once!:)

I delete, then bingo! The next day, there it is again, sometimes with a slightly diff. bit in the middle of the address.

I suppose many others are also getting the same one.:eek:

I am looking for a mature man! I have a profile on another site - http://bit****/2Kdfw6Q - I am a very cheerful person. If you like me, I will enchant you and more than once!:)

I delete, then bingo! The next day, there it is again, sometimes with a slightly diff. bit in the middle of the address.

Send a message to Laurel. She may be able to block it.

You get this sort of cr*p on any open forum. Lit, given its nature, is especially likely to get the BS you describe.

Simon's right. Contact Laurel, report it as spam. Just don't click on the link!

I reported it 3 times on the same submission, then prohibited anonymous feedback. That seemed to work.

It’s annoying - yes, but playing devil’s advocate . It still counts as a view and a comment toward any stories popularity rating. I wouldn’t say it’s enough to amount to crap because it is that without question - total crap. Some of my stories have had it posted 3 times on the same chapter. Just a blind copy and paste.

I’m not about to block anonymous feedback because someone is trigger happy with spamming the crap as some of my most thoughtful, useful comments come from anonymous people on Lit.
🌹Kant👠👠👠

I have gotten one of those spam comments almost immediately after my last half dozen or so stories has been published. I delete them and don't get another on that particular submission. Next submission, another one pops up. It's a minor inconvenience, not worth blocking anonymous comments, in my view.

I'm getting them constantly over the past month. I just delete them and move on. Sometime after that the slug changes to having been deleted by admin, so the Web site seems to be following up as well as it can. The spammer just comes back in under another account.

I reported it 3 times on the same submission, then prohibited anonymous feedback. That seemed to work.
Well yes, but you've also shut down a major chunk of the rare feedback you're going to get. As Kant notes, anon also gives some of the best feedback you'll ever get.

Well yes, but you've also shut down a major chunk of the rare feedback you're going to get. As Kant notes, anon also gives some of the best feedback you'll ever get.

Sadly, this is true in regard to feedback. And I DO love my feedback ;).

And the odd thing is this spam bot is beating the pants off the Lit captcha, and has been doing it for quite some time. You're not the first to post a comment about it. Yet the captcha is so hard that some users have complained about it.

And the odd thing is this spam bot is beating the pants off the Lit captcha, and has been doing it for quite some time. You're not the first to post a comment about it. Yet the captcha is so hard that some users have complained about it.

There are ways around captcha, which is why they are always changing it.

And there's the problem.

Determined jackholes will always find their way around any defense you put in place. The harder you try, the more you begin to negatively affect the experience of regular people using the site as intended. The larger the volume of traffic, the more people you negatively affect.

The best you can do is to eliminate the easy forms of manipulation, to stop those with limited ambition for asshattery, and then clean up the mess of the dedicated trolls and spammers afterward.

Report them.

From your activity feed, click on the item where the anonymous spam was left, which is a quick link to the comment board of the story.

From there, scroll down to the spam comment, and click on the triangle in the bottom right corner of the comment. Fill out the form that appears. While it's likely that all the necessary data is included in the report, for safety's sake, leave the comment up until Laurel has had time to remove it herself.

That way, she can do a database query and eliminate all of those comments at once.

In the rare event where the spam comes from a signed-in member, you can go to the manage comments section of the story in the new control panel, choose to delete the comment, and it will provide an option to report the user on the confirmation screen. In this case, you can go ahead and delete the comment, because the spammer's account information is absolutely in the report, and that's all Laurel needs.

If it's really getting on your nerves, turn off anonymous feedback in your control panel. You have to sacrifice all the normal anonymous comments you would have received in the process, though.

Back