Making friends in a new state.

Wings

Zucchini Muffin
How do you do it? Making close friends at work is out now that my management level exceeds 99% of the people there. So how do I find other women to fill my friend quotient?

Friendship without sex is hard to find!

Bars?

Stores?

Library?

Anybody on here in your area?

I've lived where I am my whole life and don't have to worry about being in charge of people. And I still have trouble making friends. I consider most everyone I work with "acquaintances."

If you're outgoing, I suspect you'll be fine.

I know nothing about meet up groups! I will check into those.

If I remember. Orrectly where you moved to I might be there for just one day. ( we are possibly coming for a concert in the evening) It's not going to lead to lasting friendship in your area, but we could grab a coffee or something?

If you're coming to Chicago I'd love that!

Bars?

Stores?

Library?

Anybody on here in your area?

I've lived where I am my whole life and don't have to worry about being in charge of people. And I still have trouble making friends. I consider most everyone I work with "acquaintances."

If you're outgoing, I suspect you'll be fine.

Thank you for the help! I'm not particularly outgoing and I'm a homebody.

I like the idea of the library though. It's easier in a small town, I think. Here is hard to make connections. I wish I could find a supper club that needed another couple.

If you have the time in most larger cities there are social sports clubs that you can play.

Things like bocce, ski-ball, shuffle board, pickle ball. Nothing truly athletic, but an excuse to go out and meet new people. Usually there is a bar that sponders it and deals after the games.

I've met quite a few people my own age as well as older and younger people who have become network contacts from playing bocce.

Plus...it gets me off the couch.

I moved to a new state and feel your pain. My friends here are work friends, not friend friends. I know my neighbors, and they are nice people and all of that, but we do not go out for burgers and a show.

Basically I am no help to you until you visit DC. :) Then it is game on!

I moved to a new state and feel your pain. My friends here are work friends, not friend friends. I know my neighbors, and they are nice people and all of that, but we do not go out for burgers and a show.

Basically I am no help to you until you visit DC. :) Then it is game on!

You couldn't have just made it easier for me and moved to Chicago, huh?

If you have the time in most larger cities there are social sports clubs that you can play.

Things like bocce, ski-ball, shuffle board, pickle ball. Nothing truly athletic, but an excuse to go out and meet new people. Usually there is a bar that sponders it and deals after the games.

I've met quite a few people my own age as well as older and younger people who have become network contacts from playing bocce.

Plus...it gets me off the couch.

This is a really good idea, thank you. I've been eyeing a volleyball league close to my house.

Meet up groups are great for this.

I agree!

Mt experience:

When I was first single again, I joined a Meetup social group...Yes some folks DID hook up, but the majority was just a bunch of folks who enjoyed similar music, etc.

Funny thing... I JUST came off FB Messenger with a gal who has become a lifelong friend FROM that Meetup group.

You'll get everything from learningto cook ethnic foods, to a group who goes out dancing, every week... :D

Poker. Not kidding. Its very social. Especially if you can find a low stakes home game.

You can also sign up for classes that interest you and meet people with similar interests and hobbies there. :)
Or try out an improv class. Lots of fun without any prep or studying.

I think the meet-up thing would probably work. I have never tried it and I do not possess social skills.

I stick with my work friends because of the deep trusting relationships that develop on the job, but at the same time it is tricky as two of them are in management positions.

Good luck!

I agree!

Mt experience:

When I was first single again, I joined a Meetup social group...Yes some folks DID hook up, but the majority was just a bunch of folks who enjoyed similar music, etc.

Funny thing... I JUST came off FB Messenger with a gal who has become a lifelong friend FROM that Meetup group.

You'll get everything from learningto cook ethnic foods, to a group who goes out dancing, every week... :D

Thank you! This seems like the way to go.

You can also sign up for classes that interest you and meet people with similar interests and hobbies there. :)
Or try out an improv class. Lots of fun without any prep or studying.

Also a great suggestion. I might find a culinary school

Invite the neighbors over for Barbeque. . .

I don't want to be friends with my neighbors.
I think the meet-up thing would probably work. I have never tried it and I do not possess social skills.

I stick with my work friends because of the deep trusting relationships that develop on the job, but at the same time it is tricky as two of them are in management positions.

Good luck!

I really like all of my direct reports so I wish I could be good friends with them.

On a more serious note, a friend invited me to tag along with her to a vegan potluck. I was coming in from out of town when she called and wouldn't have a practical chance to pick anything up. I showed up at a stranger's house empty-handed and was warmly received. I am not sure the platform she found the event on, but she knew no one either. Something like the "meetup" that others have described.

Getting out there early while you still have the factory new-neighbor scent is probably better.

Kids activities are always very good to meet other parents.

I don't want to be friends with my neighbors.

Who could blame you? Bunch of damned carnivores!

Foulin' the air in the neigborhood with the stench of mesquite and tri-tip in the air. . .

Back