San Francisco/Bay Area people?

1. Alcatraz. Yes, it's a place for tourists, but that shouldn't be a reason to not go.
2. Lands End. Where I go to find some peace.
3. The de Young museum.
4. Golden Gate Park. Spend a couple hours here every weekend and you'll still not see everything good that it has to offer.
 
The Bay Area rules. I think I'm on a quest to try every restaurant at least once. I think I only have a million more to go.
 
Can't believe you have no volunteers

Surely at least a hundred have stepped up to volunteer to help as guides

Simple hike... Safe!

Muir Woods... More (or less famous) due to redo of Planet of the Apes movies

SF zoo I sn't a bad day... But better with a kid.. Don't piss off tigers!!!

Add Japanese Tea Garden to Golden Gate Park visit

Further afield ... Monterey... Aquarium.. Take or rent bike to ride down coast a bit

Oh... SF by itself is great for hiking.. Use Food Network or recs from here to plot out whole day of hiking and food
 
Last edited:
To reach their own.

I prefer smaller vineyards where I can have a cozy chat with the sommelier and the owner while tasting exclusive small batch single grape wines.

I like to support family businesses where the owners are passionate about wine.

In contrast to high yield blended industrial production (Mondavi), celebrities (omg, don't ever go to Mario Andretti) or wineries with more money invested in the building (opus one,) than in the vines.

But as I said, to each their own.

Yes it is easy to fall into the trap of highway 29... however you can very easily find the small production and family owned wines as well. As for sitting down with a sommelier... I seriously doubt there are many "small production, family owned" wineries with a master or even certified sommelier that are conducting tastings.
 
I'm farther north... tourist destination... already been mentioned above. Don't come here now, please... it's crazy with visitors.
But, I do know all the good 'local' places... :cool:
 
Or go out to Livermore on a weekend for the wineries and downtown. Lots of small wineries and a pretty active live music scene.
 
My favorite secret is Fort Funston (west SF). Watching the hang gliders launch is amazing.
 
Are you a foodie? Tons of amazing restaurants in the city. And if you're into brunch, SF is the place to enjoy it, wer're crazy about our brunch here!

(Also half Argentinian! But never been :| )
 
A few of my favorite places that you should check out:
-Nopalito
-Saru Sushi
-Delphina
-Foreign Cinema
-Park Tavern

I'm planning on going once I can save the money for the flights and vacation time. I have family to stay with, just seems like other things always end up taking priority.

Hope you're enjoying the Bay Area!
 
I'm in Daly City.

If you're coming down to SF, I would add The Legion of Honour museum to the deYoung. Also, the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. The Asian Art Museum (just off UN Plaza) is also great -- they have an impressive collection of jade, among other things.

For food, I'd check out A Dirty Habit. Piattini was great before it closed. Dandelion Chocolate on Valencia is well worth the trip.

While you're checking out Dandelion, visit Paxton Gate (the adult store, not the children's one down the street, though that's fun too).

Speaking of great chocolate, Recchiuti (in the Ferry Building) does amazing things with cherries.

If you're looking for live music, the Warfield often has good shows. I'm a jazz guy, so SF Jazz is a frequent haunt. Yoshi's is great for food, and has good jazz (sometimes great), though I prefer the one in Jack London Square (Oakland) to the one in SF.
 
After a weekend in Los Angeles visiting family... So glad to be back in the Bay Area! I can't take the heat down there!
 
Hey everyone!
I moved to the Bay Area about a month ago. Anyone from the area ehi can give me suggestions of places to go and things to do?

Thank you! :)

Land's End, to help rebuild the mandala labyrinth and let the sunset paint your skin. :)
 
Is there anyone IN San Francisco?

yep. I live in SF proper and love it. I'll also second the sentiment that it's food heaven here.

If you enjoy walking like I do, try walking north on Polk Street from City Hall (you can even bart there). It has always been fun for me to see how rapidly the neighborhoods change. Every two blocks it's a completely different vibe / theme.

Bonus Round: You can also do this on a Friday night for a pretty spectacular bar crawl.
 
Back
Top