How to write a poem

When I first came to this site, I was rhyming everything, only to be informed that that was old hat and not a lot of it went on these days, free verse was the way to go. I do still slip into forms, there's a whole thread outlining the various forms
The Thread of forms if you'd like to peruse that. Also others HERE and you might like THIS

I don't like free verse. Maybe I don't have an ear for the technical stuff and rely on a rhyming pattern.

Not a huge poetry fan. This just seemed to make it so simple and easy. Even I might be able to write poetry with just a bit of practice.

Writing poetry IMO is way harder than writing a dirty story. Punctuation and grammar are public and high school topics. Pentameters and stuff is post-secondary for the most part. My post-secondary was technical writing not prose.

Had a look at the links provided and not many of the examples cited did anything for me.

I do like Omar and Rudyard though. Rudyard I came to from his stories. Omar for a nice simple quatrain and Rudyard for subject material.

Last edited:
Not a huge poetry fan.

Then you've come to the right place! ;)

This just seemed to make it so simple and easy. Even I might be able to write poetry with just a bit of practice.

Give it a try! Quatrains may be the only form of poetry that interests you ever, or trying your hand at it may open the door to other forms to enjoy. :)

Quatrains specifically. Can be nice and short 4 lines... roses are red, violets are blue sort of thing.
Roses are red and violets are purple
Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple
--R.Miller

Now THAT is a rhyme!

St. Louis? Hmm. I'm so ugly I had to buy two tickets to the zoo - one to get in, and one to get out. We could have a cup of coffee the next time I'm up that way. Which is never. I think "Jonie" sounds better. I'm not a woman, by the way.

Peter Piper peckishly plucked at the peculiar pecker popping out of his paisley pajamas.

Peter Piper pervertedly plucked at the peculiar pecker popping out of his paisley pajamas.

Hi Hard Rom. Did you know that the formula for the Khayyam poem in your signature is a Persian shape often used in Sufi poetry? It's called a Rubaiyat and I enjoy well written ones a lot.

Paws off my pecker poem.

Public domain prose, pal!

Hi Hard Rom. Did you know that the formula for the Khayyam poem in your signature is a Persian shape often used in Sufi poetry? It's called a Rubaiyat and I enjoy well written ones a lot.

Yes, I did. I own a real nice hardcover the 'Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam'. I like his work. Nice and simple, easy to read and remember. I would love to be able to turn out quatrains like his. But he was a true genius. Mathematician, astronomer, philosophy and poet.

Khalil Gibran is very good too. Got a nice hardcover of 'The Prophet'.

And while I claim to not be much of a poetry fan. There is a small book of Lord Byron's poems in the bottom of my usual backpack.

We actually have a roses are red thread in the playground. I know we are the red headed stepchild of lit, but some of our threads could be a good place to practice. No one is going to make fun of your poems and you can post as often as you like. Feedback probably won't be given unless you ask for it, but it's a very relaxed thread to work on some of your ideas.

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1354048&page=7

We have 4 flirty lines, limericks, dirty poetry threads too. You don't need to stay within the boundaries of the thread, you can be creative or even create your own thread.

I'm terrible at poetry so this caught my eye. I think writing is much easier as well.

Poetry is about
elision,
and the sensual dance
of word on word
friction.

^

this

i love this

and - most specifically - this: elision - the process of joining together or merging things, especially abstract ideas.

Last edited:
We actually have a roses are red thread in the playground. I know we are the red headed stepchild of lit, but some of our threads could be a good place to practice. No one is going to make fun of your poems and you can post as often as you like. Feedback probably won't be given unless you ask for it, but it's a very relaxed thread to work on some of your ideas.

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1354048&page=7

We have 4 flirty lines, limericks, dirty poetry threads too. You don't need to stay within the boundaries of the thread, you can be creative or even create your own thread.

I'm terrible at poetry so this caught my eye. I think writing is much easier as well.

I see a few of us have nipped across :)

Back