A Place Of Ones Own (closed)

"No promises," Ria chuckled. She had said that many times whenever someone said something along the lines of 'tell me before you do this' or 'be careful'. She wore her pirate persona well, and the more time David spent with her, the more it became so crystal clear that they were mother and son, and the more roguish he dared to become just for fun.
 
"I'll go set the table." Annie said as Ria and David settled in to talk some more. "And David...go get the guest room ready. I don't want Ria going home in this storm."
 
"I'll be fine, Annie," Ria insisted, but David didn't listen to his mother.

"Whether you'll be fine or not isn't her point, Mom," David told his mother as he made his way toward the guest room. "Her point is that you're staying whether you like it or not."

At that, Ria chuckled. "Damn, you two really take after that big lump, don't you?"

"Brogan? Yes," David nodded before he disappeared into the other room.
 
"We care about you, Ria. We don't want anything bad happening to you in this storm." Annie said softly as she started to set the table for dinner. "Besides, it'll be nice to have a guest tonight. You'll be much better conversation then David usually is."

The truth was, she didn't really want to be alone with her husband that night. They had been talking about trying again for another baby. Some time had passed, she had healed, but she was scared of giving it another chance only to lose another one. The more people that were there with them, the less of a chance she had of David making love to her.
 
Ria simply chuckled, "Of course I will. You've known him all your life, he's boring now."

"Hey!"

Dinner was a very relaxed affair, but just as they were readying for bed, a knock sounded on the door. Ria opened it up to see Gerald, and she froze in surprise. "Ger? What're you-"

"I need your help, Ria," Gerald told her with a sigh.

"Um... sure. Just... hold on." Ria turned back to grab her cloak, glancing to David and Annie. "Sorry, kids." She and Gerald disappeared out into the storm before they could protest.
 
Annie was stunned when her mother in law was out the door as Gerald appeared, telling them a simple sorry. She looked at her husband and then back at the door which Ria had beat a hasty retreat through.

"I wonder what that was about." She said softly.
 
"She helps Gerald out at the tavern whenever he needs an extra hand. Must be something more important if he came to get her himself." David then gave her a smile. "She can handle it, whatever it is." He pressed a soft kiss to her lips and headed for their bedroom. "Coming, Ann?"
 
"I'll be there in a moment." Annie murmured as David started towards the bedroom, asking if she was coming along.

Once everything was cleaned up and put away, the door barred, she entered the bedroom with a heavy sigh. She glanced at David before she moved to dress for bed.

"Love, I have to tell you that I'm a little nervous about trying for a baby again. What if something goes wrong again this time?" She asked as she looked at her husband, wondering his thoughts on the matter.
 
"Well... honestly, I don't know what we'll do... If it does go wrong, I suppose... we can always take in a child who doesn't have a home if you wanted. But at the same time, we shouldn't give up because of fear... or else we'll never know." David sat down on the edge of the bed after setting his shirt aside.
 
"I suppose you're right." Annie said softly as she sat on the bed next to David, taking his large hand in hers and holding it gently. "I do love you, David. With all of my heart and soul."
 
"I love you too, Ann," he answered softly and leaned over to press a kiss to her lips. "No matter what happens, we've got each other. I know if all else fails, I can still be happy as can be, just so long as I've got you." David wasn't necessarily romantic nor entirely unromantic, but he didn't bandy words (unless he was teasing) about how he felt about her, and they weren't meant to be sugary and sweet. They were plain truth. He'd been honest with her from the first day, even blunt.
 
Annie smiled at her husband's words and wrapped him in the tightest hug that she could give him. She truly loved him above anyone else, even her own family. Her father had known that from the start and had been incredibly cautious when he allowed them to court. He knew how dangerous it was for her to give her heart away to a man so easily, but their union had been incredibly happy.
 
That next afternoon as Annie was out watching over Ferrous as he galloped freely in the paddock, Ria finally returned looking rather pleasant and even a little dazed. She came to lean on the fence beside Annie and let go a soft sigh. "I think I picked my man."
 
"Oh, really?" Annie said as she watched Ferrous stretch his long legs as he raced around her paddock. "And who might that be?"
 
"Gerald," she sighed like a young girl in love. "Apparently one of the tavern chimneys collapsed in the storm and he needed help to get the hearth blocked up til he could fix it. Koto was there too. The two of them are pretty good friends, so it didn't surprise me. When the storm go worse when we'd finished, we were stuck in there for the night. Gave me a chance to talk to the two of them, and it turns out that Koto and I are really just close friends. After he left just before dawn, I got to spend a fair bit of time with Gerald..." She trailed off from there, knowing Annie would guess what had happened between the two. "Sweet man... a little rough around the edges, but I don't want to change a thing about him."
 
"What does he think about being in love with a pirate?" Annie asked, looking at Ria with a smile on her lips. "I'm sure that he'll find the adventure exciting."

"Your son is one of the most infuriating people that I have ever met in my life. He is thick headed, stubborn, and gruff, but I love him dearly and would never change a thing about him." Annie offered, letting Ria know that she knew exactly how she felt.
 
"Gerald thinks I should drop the whole pirate thing for something just as dangerous but not so illegal, like running the rowdiest tavern in town with him. The man practically asked me to move in with him, to hell with what the church crowd thinks of an unmarried man and woman living together."

At Annie's mention of David, Ria leaned over to embrace her. "I'm glad you married him. That tells me that, despite how badly I messed up, and despite everything that happened to him, he still ended up right where he belongs."
 
Annie smiled as her mother-in-law told her about Gerald's plans. Then she hugged the woman back as she leaned over and embraced her. It meant a lot that Ria accepted her in her son's life. She had heard stories of husbands making life hell for their wives simply because their mothers insisted.

"Ria, if living with Gerald and helping him to run the tavern would make you happy, then I think you should do it. He makes you so happy. You glow when you talk about him. Not to mention that David and I would love to have you here in Inverness all the time." Annie murmured as she pulled away from the embrace and looked her mother in law in the eye.
 
"I think I might do just that, that is if he decides to take me on. He ought to know that if he does, he's losing his position as man-in-charge." Ria chuckled and turned her gaze out to Ferrous, who was approaching to seek Annie's attention. He nuzzled her hands through the fence and snorted softly. "He's certainly changed, hasn't he?"
 
"He's a beast that knows when he's met his match." Annie said as she stroked Ferrous's nose and offered him a carrot as a snack. "And he's a fine beasty that certainly makes me proud."

"Much like my dear husband." Annie commented, a smile on her face as she knew that David was right behind her.
 
"A beast, eh?" David chuckled as he wrapped his arms around Annie's waist. Ria rolled her eyes and leaned over to kiss David's cheek.

"You two play nice." Ria stepped away with a smile, making her way to their home to gather up the things she'd left the night before.
 
"Of course you're my beast." Annie murmured as Ria moved towards the house. "My beast in bed."

She tipped her head back and kissed her husband over her shoulder. She smiled as she felt his arms tighten around her waist and she let out a little sigh.
 
David grinned, returning her kiss with a little bit of fire to boot. "Are we hinting at something, Ann? Or just teasing?" Truth be told, he'd missed having her those evenings when they finished their work early, but he'd not wanted to push. He'd noticed how she had almost seemed to avoid him at night and he'd figured it out.
 
"Hinting." Annie said softly, her cheeks actually coloring red as she said that. "Da has offered to send us to Inverlochly or Edinburgh for some time away. He knows that something is wrong, but he doesn't know exactly what it might be."
 
"Then I guess the question is, do you want to go? You know I'll follow you wherever you decide to lead." David stepped round to face her, offering her a loving smile. "Might be good to get away. You're just like your Da, you know. You never want to leave because you think something's going to go wrong if you do."
 
Back
Top