NaNoWriMo 18

WatchingCloud

Weather Voyeur
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Posts
4,936
Anyone doing NaNo this year? Think there are usually a handful who talk about it each year.

I'm going for my 13th consecutive finish. Changing gears a bit and trying my hand at middle grade fiction. Yeah, far removed from writing I do here.

Good luck to all who start!
 
I have something I'm using for NaNo but the same as past years, I'm not concerned about reaching the 50k mark. My only goal is to get some writing done.
 
National Novel Writing Month

For those who are new to NaNoWriMo, I wrote a How-To some years ago:

https://www.literotica.com/s/complete-nanowrimo

That's 'How to complete NaNoWriMo' not complete everything about it.

NaNoWriMo is a tool for you to use to improve your writing discipline. The only person who really knows if you succeed in writing 50,000 words during the month is you. It is very easy to cheat, but why? All you would be cheating is yourself.

https://nanowrimo.org/
 
I have something I'm using for NaNo but the same as past years, I'm not concerned about reaching the 50k mark. My only goal is to get some writing done.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Any writing is good writing. :)
 
For those who are new to NaNoWriMo, I wrote a How-To some years ago:

https://www.literotica.com/s/complete-nanowrimo

That's 'How to complete NaNoWriMo' not complete everything about it.

NaNoWriMo is a tool for you to use to improve your writing discipline. The only person who really knows if you succeed in writing 50,000 words during the month is you. It is very easy to cheat, but why? All you would be cheating is yourself.

https://nanowrimo.org/

Oh my god, this is such a good idea. Thanks for telling me about this! I'm totally going to do it!
 
It's definitely a good productivity tool. I did it a couple of years in a row a long time ago, and it was great fun. Now I write wayyy more than 50,000 words a month just as a job, so it wouldn't be so much fun anymore. Still, I recommend it highly to anyone interested in upping their output and learning what they can do.
 
Bump.

Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?

You should be at 5,000 words by the end of today, preferably more to allow for interruptions to the writing. I'm on 7,150 on a new Tripletit story started this month but I'm not really doing NaNoWriMo.
 
I'm at 5,050 and just now starting to write for the day.
 
Yup, off to a crazy start, nearing 20k through day 4. I usually stick near the daily word count and finish at the end of the month, so this is (pleasantly) uncharted territory for me.
 
Sort of doing NaNo this year. There's a lot of other life stuff going on, so I'm not starting anything new or adhering to the daily/monthly goal(s), but I'm taking advantage of the hype to re-work my novel.
 
A few writers in a MeWe group I'm in, have been talking about it. They were saying something about doing a novel a month. Even if I could; I don't think I have any ideas to keep it going and I just started a new job.
 
The voices in my head have not yet ordered me to write a monthly novel so I haven't. If they do, they may tell me to cheat. Or they may remind me that hacks (getting paid for it) can churn out one a week. They may point to prolific Isaac Asimov, who wrote hundreds of books, spending his life in a closet with a typewriter. They may ask: How many one-month novels are worth reading by any but the author? But if they order me to, I will. I always obey my voices. What? Dance with a bear tomorrow? Sure!
 
A few writers in a MeWe group I'm in, have been talking about it. They were saying something about doing a novel a month. Even if I could; I don't think I have any ideas to keep it going and I just started a new job.

Despite the title of NaNoWriMo, the organisers do not expect 50,000 words to be a novel. It could be an extended outline of a novel, the start of a novel, or ideas for an eventual novel. It could just be daily streams of consciousness that can be mined for ideas for a later novel.

The idea of NaNoWriMo is to get into the habit of writing everyday. Once you can do that? You might be able to write a novel.
 
Despite the title of NaNoWriMo, the organisers do not expect 50,000 words to be a novel. It could be an extended outline of a novel, the start of a novel, or ideas for an eventual novel. It could just be daily streams of consciousness that can be mined for ideas for a later novel.

The idea of NaNoWriMo is to get into the habit of writing everyday. Once you can do that? You might be able to write a novel.


For me, NaNo started as a way to commit to writing something of that length, just to see if I could do it. Since then, it's just a creative outlet each November...something I look forward to doing. Most years, after 50k words I have half of a novel and I'm burned out enough not to want to finish it. A couple, however, I felt good enough about to go ahead and finish the first draft.

While I'm not trying to write novels for sale, it has bolstered writing as a hobby for me. Sure, I write some here, but I've also dabbled in short fictions and sold some of those pieces elsewhere.

The nice thing about NaNo is that it can be many things to many people. If you get something out of it, reaching the goal or not, it's a win.
 
How is everyone doing? I'm staying on track with a little over 1700 words a day. Besides not typing very fast, I still have that inner editor working all the time. (Yes, I know, December is for editing, but I don't and haven't ever left typos or other obvious errors in a first draft of a story.)
 
I'm at 4214, so according to Ogg I'm a little behind...

1667 is the minimum per day; 2000 is a better daily target, but if you write anything at all for NaNoWriMo that is a success.

I'm not really doing NaNoWriMo but I am keeping a running total of words written to stories in November. I'm on 9,269 but I ought to be on 13,336 or better still - 16,000.
 
Last edited:
I ended last night at 16,644. After spending several hours in ER, arriving home around 5am, I don't know that I'll add much. We'll see.


ETA: I managed just under 1600 words today (and took a few short naps in there as well).
 
Last edited:
Passed 38k last night, so still well ahead of pace despite slowing down a bit. I also just passed the end of what I had outlined, so I'll have to spend extra time plotting ahead. All in all, happy with it so far.

Keep it up, everyone! There's still plenty of November left and even falling short of the official goal is still a win if you're writing.
 
Just under 22k so I'm staying close to where I should be. I'm surprised I made it this far.
 
I am way, way behind. Possibly have to shelve until next year

Me too. :rolleyes: Grandchildren are a distraction and looking after them while parents are busy elsewhere is great but time-consuming. Four evenings out of seven this week is unusual and exceptional. It's bad for writing time.
 
I just couldn't get my head into it this year. Last weekend I was able to get about 3000 words down and this weekend I've added a few more. I don't think I'll finish but as long as I keep plugging away I'll think of it as a success.
 
"Finished" yesterday. Now to find the real motivation - going back and finishing what I started. :)
 
Back
Top