How to carry your Colt 1911 semi-auto pistol

Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Posts
7
Just a quick question for those who carry a firearm. In particular a 1911. I inherited one from my late grandfather. I was told by a friend I was carrying it wrong. Here is how I carry the pistol in the holster. Mag inserted, round chambered, hammer down. I was told it should be mag inserted, round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety on. Which way in your opinion is safer or more preferred?
 
Just a quick question for those who carry a firearm. In particular a 1911. I inherited one from my late grandfather. I was told by a friend I was carrying it wrong. Here is how I carry the pistol in the holster. Mag inserted, round chambered, hammer down. I was told it should be mag inserted, round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety on. Which way in your opinion is safer or more preferred?

Your friend's suggestion is a good way to shoot your own dick off. It's far too easy to accidently trigger the safety switch while pulling the gun for a novice, especially under stress. Here you can see the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuBXWujeYQ

Second, weapons get dropped, again especially under stress. With hammer cocked and loaded chamber there is a fair chance it shoots something and very unlikely that you hit what you intended.

Actual experts in handling guns prefer the cocked and locked method, yes, your friend is right, but they train to use their weapon regulary and didn't just inherit a gun.

Police wears cocked and locked, military wears locked, hammer down, chamber empty; they don't expect surprise invasions. Personally, I would recommend that you wear it military style, because it's just so fucking easy to remove the mag and forget the round in the chamber.
 
Last edited:
Clean it, oil it, and put it in a safe or display case. Save it as a family heirloom.

Then, if you must carry, get yourself a revolver or modern DA/SA or DAO pistol and learn to use it and carry it in a safe manner.

That would include obtaining a descent level of knowledge concerning firearms and the moral, ethical, and legal consequences of the potential use of deadly force by an armed civilian. Your profile says you live in Arizona and just because you can carry, it doesn't mean that you should.
 
Last edited:
did you get a boner when you strapped it? Did your dick get instantly 10" longer?

How on earth did you get along before before your grandpappy handed over his pee pee gun?

So many questions about deluded masculinity...
 
Sissy would like to ask a question, why do you carry a pistol?
The answer to this question may not seem important but it does decide how you carry a pistol.
First you should always carry in a holster, this helps protect you and the pistol.
Second, anytime you carry a pistol with a round in the chamber it can go off. The right hit can cause an accidental firing weather the pistol is on safety or hammer down, even a P-38 which has a plate between the hammer and firing pin when on safe.
Unless you really expect trouble the safe way to carry is un-chambered.

This is just the opinion of a sissy, one that has a past life which dealt with such things.
 
The model 1911 Colt or Springfield is designed to be super roughed. It has two safety features that prevent accidental discharging. It has the normal safety button plus a pressure plate located on the grip. When a person grips the grip the heel of their had will depress this plate. If the plate is not depressed but is cocked the trigger can not be engaged. With the gun on safety and cocked, this gun can be thrown down hard on a hard surface and it will not discharge.
 
I am not that familiar with that particular firearm but I do carry. The way I carry depends on the firearm and the situation. My smaller semi autos are carried with a round unchambered as there is no safety unless I am in an environment that I consider possibly dangerous. My full sized 9, I carry hiking in the woods alone. I keep a round chambered and the hammer relaxed. If I fall no chance of fireing. The weapon is single or double action so if I point and shoot the weapon is ready with no further interactions from me. The trigger is slightly heavier pull than with hammer back so unlikely to be accidentally discharged on the draw.
 
Years ago I dropped in that circumcision was mutilation of infants – Oh the wails of complaint… but that has changed, today few would raise their heads to criticise that statement today.

So here we have a thread about deluded masculine narcissistic masturbatory fodder for guns yet no one has bitten to my previous post as the troglodytes would have done years ago. I take this as a sign that humanity is evolving… but then you did vote for Trump.

Good luck with your self awareness strategies...
 
Last edited:
OP, I would not carry the .45 unless you needed to. My advice as a reserve deputy would be to keep it at home and unloaded. Preferably in a locked box.
 
OP, I would not carry the .45 unless you needed to. My advice as a reserve deputy would be to keep it at home and unloaded. Preferably in a locked box.

I have several 9mm and all have rolling block safeties that take a split second to "Arm". With the safety on you can drive a nail with them,throw on concrete or whatever. Click the lever safety off with the thumb it's your choice of double or single action shooting. I am sure somebody make a .45 like that also.

Something like this...


https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/stoeger-cougar-8045f.154185/
 
I carry either a 357 Magnum revolver (preferred), or a Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm. When carrying revolvers, it's always ready in double action. In semi-auto, same situation, no need to keep the hammer back, no need to keep the safety on.. it is always available in double action.. no extra time, and quite safe.
 
Just a quick question for those who carry a firearm. In particular a 1911. I inherited one from my late grandfather. I was told by a friend I was carrying it wrong. Here is how I carry the pistol in the holster. Mag inserted, round chambered, hammer down. I was told it should be mag inserted, round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety on. Which way in your opinion is safer or more preferred?

A colt 1911 is a fine weapon, but what you have, (as UnderMyKilt pointed out), is an heirloom, and while you can buy a new style colt 1911, you can’t buy an heirloom. As pointed out, put it in a safe place and buy a modern 9mm, with hollow point ammo. A reliable 9mm, (using good ammo), will in most real-life situations, stop anything a 45 will. Also as a defensive weapon, a 1911 has some flaws. In my opinion, it’s too big, too heavy and not terribly accurate. (It doesn’t have a fixed barrel) Keep in mind, a 1911 was designed to be used in war as an offensive weapon, and in a defensive situation, you need a handgun that is easier to handle.

As far as these people who tell you to leave it at home and go unprotected? There are three kinds of people in the world, predators, victims and people who defend themselves. You decide which you want to be. And as far as calling a cop when some thug has a gun stuck in your face trying to rob you, don’t waste your time calling a cop, call the coroner instead, to haul your dead body away. By circumstance, a cop’s job is to clean up the mess after you have been attacked, not to protect you before the attack. If you unwilling to protect yourself, don’t expect anyone else to.

If you are really concerned about defending yourself in a critical situation, (you asked about carrying a weapon with the hammer cocked), you might look into a double action revolver. It has a fixed barrel, and you don’t have to worry about whether or not you have the safety on. All you have to do is point and pull the trigger. True, most revolvers carry only 5 or 6 rounds, but if you can’t stop an attacker with 6 shots, you’re probably fucked anyway.
 
Carrying an older 1911 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber is dangerous, as there is nothing to stop it from activating the firing pin if the gun is dropped. This has been fixed in more modern models.

The 1911 was designed to be carried with a full mag, a round in the chamber with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety on. It takes 3 actions to make the gun shoot - the thumb safety must be turned off, the grip safety must be squeezed, and the trigger must be pulled.

When I was in the military, we carried Israeli style in the US, with the hammer down on an empty chamber, so you have to rack the slide to shoot.
 
Your friend's suggestion is a good way to shoot your own dick off. It's far too easy to accidently trigger the safety switch while pulling the gun for a novice, especially under stress. Here you can see the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuBXWujeYQ

That video was a guy doing speed drills. He was NOT a novice, he left the video up to be an example of not becoming complacent about firearm safety.

-=-=-

To the OP:
Your friend is suggesting "Condition 1" carry. Which is how the 1911 was designed to be carried. If you do not want to have the hammer cocked, carry with an EMPTY chamber. (Although this will require cocking the gun, when you need it most and time is EXTREMELY limited, and you are stressed, and under lethal attack.)

I would suggest parking "Grandpa's gun" at home and purchasing an alternate firearm for carry. If you ever need to deploy it in self defense, it is VERY likely to be confiscated by police while they do their investigation. It will be stored in an evidence locker, it will very likely get scratched, it may rust, it will probably be a LONG time before you get it back.

Perhaps a sex-forum is not the best place to ask these questions.
I tend to go to TheHighRoad.org when I have firearm questions.
 
Last edited:
Sissy would like to ask a question, why do you carry a pistol?
The answer to this question may not seem important but it does decide how you carry a pistol.
First you should always carry in a holster, this helps protect you and the pistol.
Second, anytime you carry a pistol with a round in the chamber it can go off. The right hit can cause an accidental firing weather the pistol is on safety or hammer down, even a P-38 which has a plate between the hammer and firing pin when on safe.
Unless you really expect trouble the safe way to carry is un-chambered.

This is just the opinion of a sissy, one that has a past life which dealt with such things.

SissySalina is right chamber should be empty.
 
I agree with your friend - it's called Condition 1 - "Cocked-and-Locked" (Mag loaded, round in the chamber, hammer back/cocked, safety on).

The 1911 is obviously Single Action Only (SA) pistol and John Moses Browning (JMB) designed the gun to be carried Condition 1; Yea, I know this is also debatable...

However, it is your decision on how 'you' want to carry along with the proper operation - in a SHTF scenario you NEED to have 'your' procedure down as an automatic reflex.
If you choose condition 2 (chambered and hammer down); it will require manually pulling the hammer back before it's ready to fire.
I do not recommend Condition 3 (Mag loaded, UN-chambered / aka Israeli Carry) - this requires racking the slide to load a chamber. Yea, I know - that's how they do it in the movies...:confused:

Do verify the condition and safety features of your particular gun; very old models did not have a Firing Pin Safety Block.
Those who blatantly say to 'mothball' the gun withut knowing the condition and facts of the gun and get a New gun are ignorant - The 1911 is a true classic and stands the test of time.

Sounds like you received an awesome piece from your grandfather.
Please share the year, specific series and any history you have of the gun.
 
I carry a 1911 regularly, condition 1, cocked and locked as the gun was designed to be carried. I would never carry it any other way. One of the safest handguns to carry. I also carry a beretta 92 (hammer down, safety engaged), taurus 709 slim (safety engaged) or several others depending on the mood im in. I wont carry one without a round in the chamber. If I felt unsafe with a round in the chamber, i wouldnt carry that particular gun period!!! (Glocks for example) That being said, if you choose to carry, carry how you feel comfortable and train like you carry. If you feel comfortable carrying with an empty chamber, train to rack before you engage. When you are placed in a life or death situation, you will be functioning off muscle memory, not clear thinking and it happens FAST!! Know your weapon, how it works, how to clear jams, and how to shoot accuratly!

To those who say you shouldnt carry, I say that it is your choice to carry or not, but I should have that same choice! As someone who has had to draw in 2 different situations, one with my wife and child present, there is a good possibility that I wouldnt be typing this if I hadnt been carrying!! There is a good possibility that my wife and child wouldnt be here today had I chose to leave the gun at home. It has nothing to do with masculinity or machoism and everything to do with protection for myself and my family.
 
That being said, if you choose to carry, carry how you feel comfortable and train like you carry. If you feel comfortable carrying with an empty chamber, train to rack before you engage. When you are placed in a life or death situation, you will be functioning off muscle memory, not clear thinking and it happens FAST!! Know your weapon, how it works, how to clear jams, and how to shoot accuratly!

The biggest problem is that MOST laypersons who choose to carry do not, and will not, "train like you carry". They will not train enough to have developed those "muscle memory" instincts, which is all they will have left when the stress of a life or death situation leaves them without fine motor skills.

Most will not train at all or, if they do, it will be to go out in the woods or to the local range, throw a few rounds downrange, adequately hit the target half the time after acquiring a full site picture at a distance, and say "Good enough."

If their jurisdiction has weapons qualification standards in place to exercise their right to carry, they will do the bare minimum to qualify and do it only as often as is necessary to maintain that "right".

They will not practice close quarters stress fire without sites.
They will not practice after, or during, physical exertion to simulate the adrenaline they would experience in a real world life or death situation.
They will not practice, or even consider practicing, handgun retention techniques.
They will not adequately, or correctly, practice reloading.
The will not practice one handed shooting.
They will not practice weak handed shooting.
They will not practice clearing jams or weapon malfunctions.
They will not practice drawing their weapon from concealment or from a holster realistically encumbered by street clothes.
They will not practice ENOUGH!
Most importantly, they will not become familiar enough with use of deadly force laws germane to the jurisdictions in which they live or are planning to visit.

Instead, they will only concern themselves with with whether they should have their "hammer up or down" or their "safety on or off" when they carry.
 
Last edited:
I am with NightL
As a Brit I am horrified by this post.
I suggest you carry it where the sun don't shine, but maybe Arizona has banned anal like Michigan and other States.
 
Are things that bad in Arizona?

I guess with 357 million guns in the US, you expect others to be armed so you feel like you have to be armed and people think you must be armed so they must be armed etc.

Have fun looking over your shoulder.
 
Leave the 1911 Colt at home but get yourself a 44 Magnum auto load. This gun will definitely put down anyone.
 
Back
Top