Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historical Slang - G

gad - an idle or trapesing slattern

gad the hoof - to go without shoes, hence to walk, roam about

Gadsbud! i.e. God's Bud (the infant Jesus)

Gadso - 1. the penis, variant catso; 2. Gadso! An interjection. An interesting example of the politely obsolete phallicism of many oaths and other expletives. Compare with and see Balls! Bugger! Cunting! Fuck. Prick. Twat.

Gadzooks! - a mild expletive either from gadso or a corruption of God's Hooks (the nails of the Cross)

gagarino - A Melodrama performed by professional actors, usually of the lower ranks, in which the general outline of the plot is so familiar that it is not necessary to write a concrete plot at all, everything being 'gagged' impromptu. Many traditional pantomimes work the same way. The plot is known. Only the jokes differ.

gallery-nymph - A housemaid

gallop one's maggot - Masturbate

galoptious, galuptiuous, galoptious - Delicious, delightful, splendid

gam-case - a stocking

gamaroosh, gamaruche - noun and hence verb (of women) to practise penilingism (better known as a blow-job!)

game pullet - a young whore

game woman - a harlot

gamester - a harlot

gander - noun a married man

gander - verb ramble, waddle like a goose

gander-month or gander-moon - the month after childbirth, when in C17 - early C19 it was held excusable for the husband to err.

gander-mooner - a husband during the gander-month

gander-party - a party of men.

gap - the female pudend

gap-stopper - 1. a whoremonger, pimp; 2. a penis

Og, thanks for such a wonderfully long list of obscure words with so much meaning. I had to look this one up, even though I suspected its meaning beforehand;

penilingism, penilinctus or penilingus- noun a rare synonym for fellatio, sexual stimulation of the penis with the mouth, lips, and tongue

The Qs offer some interesting reading;

quassia - noun (from Quassi, an 18th century Surinam slave who discovered the medicinal value of quassia): a drug from the heartwood of various tropical trees of the ailanthus family used especially as a bitter tonic and remedy for roundworms in children and as an insecticide

Horticulture

garden - the female parts

Garden-Goddess - A high-class (and expensive) Covent Garden harlot

garden-gout - syphilis

garden-hedge - female pubic hair

Garden-house - a brothel

Garden-whore - A low-class (and cheap) Covent Garden harlot

gardener - the penis

All from Dictionary of Historical Slang

Welcome, pellso.

Og, I had no idea gardening could be such fun! The word jazz was originally a Negro slang word for sex and the places for jazz always had musicians playing to enhance the mood, of course. Look where it landed, at the top of the heap, right under the Blues, which is an entirely different story.

quasi(1) - adj in some sense or degree: SEEMINGLY

The Qs offer some interesting reading;

quassia - noun (from Quassi, an 18th century Surinam slave who discovered the medicinal value of quassia): a drug from the heartwood of various tropical trees of the ailanthus family used especially as a bitter tonic and remedy for roundworms in children and as an insecticide

I always wondered where "Bitters" came from (for the Gin!)

Wiki:- Extracts of Q. amara bark containing quassinoids are used as insecticides, being particularly useful against aphids on crop plants [1]. It is also used to flavour aperitifs and bitters which are added to cocktails.

Handley, I never knew that fact. Thanks for adding that interesting fact. So many things in life we take for granted because they have always been there, but we don't know what they really are or where they came from.

The tradition of a birthday cake, instead of a pie for instance, dates back to Roman Emperors celebrating their birthdays with a fruitcake-like concoction. And here we are today, steeped in birthday cakes, barely a pie in sight. With four kids and a husband, I made 5 birthday cakes a year and asked for a cheesecake on my own, not really a cake at all, but a pie in disguise. LOL

quash(1) - vt to put an end to, set side, or make void esp. by judicial action

quash(2) - vt to suppress or extinguish completely: QUELL

I must add this one for the astronomy fans;

quasar - noun (quasi-stellar [radio source]) any of various very distant celestial objects that resemble stars but emit unusually bright blue and ultraviolet light and radio waves

I must add this one for the astronomy fans;

quasar - noun (quasi-stellar [radio source]) any of various very distant celestial objects that resemble stars but emit unusually bright blue and ultraviolet light and radio waves

It's also the trade name for a type of telescope and other things.

Good morning, afternoon or evening, friends, depending on your location;

quartz battery - noun STAMP MILL - also called a quartz mill

Saints and Salts (S from Historical Slang)

sacking - prostitution; sacking law - prostitution with robbery

sacred lamp - a ballet-girl burlesque (parodying Ruskin's Sacred Lamp)

saddle one's nose - wear spectacles

saddleback - a louse

sailor's blessing - a curse

sailor's champagne - beer

On St. Geoffrey's day - never

St Giles' carpet - a sprinkling of sand

St Hugh's Bones - shoemaking tools

St John's Wood donas - harlots

St Luke's Bird - an Ox

St Marget's Ale - water

St Peter's Son - a general thief 'having every finger a fish-hook'

sal slappers - a common woman

sale (house of) a brothel

Sallenger's (or Sallinger's) Round - To be wanton, to copulate (from an indelicate ballad of circa 1600)

salt - to copulate

salt-cellar - the female parts

salt and batter - assualt and battery

salt's pricker - a compressed roll of Cavendish tobacco (naval)

sand-rat 1. A moulder in a factory. 2. An Indian Army term for 'native girls, who being in the last stages of the dreaded disease and rotten inside and out, only appeared after dark. These were the sand-rats and it was a horrible form of suicide to go with them.'

santer or santar - He who, in a trio of thieves, carries away the booty.

Og, I never knew so many Saints bore so many slang words as a burden with only a slight reference to the original person. St. Peter's son made me laugh, but what did St. Geoffrey do to deserve such a negative remark? By the way, I love it when you list a bunch of words from the Historical Slang book.

quarto - noun 1. the size of a piece of paper cut four from a sheet; also: paper or a page of this size 2. a book printed on quarto pages

Og, that was a lovely diversion into the world of trivial knowledge. I will use that saying from now on, just for fun. Thanks, so much. Poor Saint Geoffrey... to have that legacy, but all is put to right with you being his ancestor and all.

quartern - noun 1. a fourth part: QUARTER 2. British: a loaf of bread weighing about four pounds

There are lots of entries with quarter in it;

quartermaster - noun 1. a petty officer who attends the ship's helm, binnacle, and signals 2. an army officer who provides clothing and subsistence for a body of troops

Og, that was a lovely diversion into the world of trivial knowledge. I will use that saying from now on, just for fun. Thanks, so much. Poor Saint Geoffrey... to have that legacy, but all is put to right with you being his ancestor and all.

quartern - noun 1. a fourth part: QUARTER 2. British: a loaf of bread weighing about four pounds

Quart. Two pints; four to the gallon.

Good day, everyone. How nice it is that the weekend has arrived. Here is another nautical term;

quarter deck - noun 1. the stern area of a ship's upper deck 2. a part of a deck on a naval vessel set aside by the captain for ceremonial and official use

Good day, everyone. How nice it is that the weekend has arrived. Here is another nautical term;

quarter deck - noun 1. the stern area of a ship's upper deck 2. a part of a deck on a naval vessel set aside by the captain for ceremonial and official use

As a civilian visiting one of Her Majesty's Royal Navy ships, it was obligatory to salute the quarterdeck, turning aft, and doffing my hat. Naval personnel would salute, but civilians should not.

While working in Her Majesty's Dockyards, I would visit ships frequently yet I didn't normally wear a hat. In every office there was 'the hat' which anyone intending to visit a ship would take with them, put on at the bottom of the gangway, and then doff at the top.

As you can imagine, 'the hat' was a disreputable relic in some cases dating back to WWII or even earlier. On a visit home, I collected my own bowler hat that as I was then still a teenager I was very reluctant to wear. It was made for me and much better than 'the hat' hanging in my office.

But after some years use even my bowler became rather worn. In 1965, when I was at sea in one of Her Majesty's ships, the Admiralty in its wisdom decided that since hats were no longer normal civilian wear, a simple nod to the quarterdeck would be sufficient to indicate respect.

That evening I consigned my battered bowler to the depths of the Irish Sea.

PS. Later I replaced the bowler with a new one.

Og, you have so many interesting stories to tell. I recently bought my first bowler, a theatrical one of decent quality, for my steampunk costume I wore for Halloween. It is a very comfortable hat to wear. Even though I know what doff means, I have never used it in a single sentence, so I decided to look it up;

doff - vt 1. to take off (one's clothes); esp: to take off or lift up (the hat) 2. to rid oneself of

Og, you have so many interesting stories to tell. I recently bought my first bowler, a theatrical one of decent quality, for my steampunk costume I wore for Halloween. It is a very comfortable hat to wear. Even though I know what doff means, I have never used it in a single sentence, so I decided to look it up;

doff - vt 1. to take off (one's clothes); esp: to take off or lift up (the hat) 2. to rid oneself of

My Freshman year in college, my roommates told me to wear a big brimmed black Fedora and my black fitted suit, black dress shirt, black tie, black well you get the picture, for Halloween. I would doff my hat each and everytime a pretty girl or female professor walked past as I stood observing the people studying in the Commons, like a noir's private investigator waiting for trouble to break out.

I love that word: I doff my hat to thee <Removes Fedora and bows>

When playing King Henry VIII, I would doff my cake-on-head to ladies and visiting monarchs e.g. King Arthur and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (as played by fellow thespians).

PS. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was played by the town's then current Carnival Queen, a talented young lady. No one seemed to mind that even in flat shoes she was six inches taller than Her Majesty, and even taller in her high heels.

Last edited:
Rj, the opposite of doff is, of course, don;

don(1) - noun 1. a Spanish nobleman or gentleman - used as a title prefixed to the Christian 2.a. archaic: a person of consequence: GRANDEE b. a head, tutor, or fellow in a college of Oxford or Cambridge

don(2) - vt 1. to put on (an article to wear) 2. to envelop oneself in: ASSUME

Rj, the opposite of doff is, of course, don;

don(1) - noun 1. a Spanish nobleman or gentleman - used as a title prefixed to the Christian 2.a. archaic: a person of consequence: GRANDEE b. a head, tutor, or fellow in a college of Oxford or Cambridge

don(2) - vt 1. to put on (an article to wear) 2. to envelop oneself in: ASSUME

And in the Mafia, the boss is called a Don. With dark skin, black hair, dark brown eyes, and wearing the black suit, I was mistaken for a Don...In spite of my ancestory being partially French - via Louisiana - and Native American - Mohawk.

Yes, Rj the Mafia use of Don must be similar to the Spanish.

Og, can you show me a picture of a cake-on-head? What a great term. It is not in my dictionary.

quartan - adj occurring every fourth day reckoning inclusively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back