Names for the child you never had.

With_David_Bowie

Literotica Guru
Joined
Apr 25, 2018
Posts
705
I had a son. We had no argument about his name, but when we didnt know the sex of the child, we were arguing about names for a girl that never happened day by day. Literally the only reason we found out the sex of baby.
 
My girl I always wanted as Kirsten Elizabeth... and still now, if miracles happen, thats what I'd want. I had gotten to Elizabeth Margaret, like my now sons name, Grandfather-grandfather.

How do you see it?
 
When I was due, my parents had agreed on names for a girl but couldn't agree on a suitable boy's name.

When my mother went into labour they finally agreed on a compromise choice. When I arrived my father rushed off to the Registry Office to register my birth before my mother could change her mind again. He was on a 48 hour pass and had to rejoin his unit.

My mother grumbled but it was a compromise which they accepted. Years later when I acquired a succession of family and friend invented nicknames they were not pleased and insisted that I was the name they had agreed. The family still uses that name even though everyone else uses a decades-old nickname.
 
Back in the late 18th Century some of my ancestors had an argument about naming children that was mentioned in the Family Bible.

For generations the oldest boy had been named John, and the surname was Smith. They were the village blacksmiths. The first-born girls had been called Joan.

The next generation decided that having to distinguish between oldest John Smith, the son John Smith and the grandson John Smith was a nuisance so they decided that future names would be taken from the maternal line.

The next first-born girl would have been Joan but her mother's name was Lettice née Smith. Lettice liked her name but had been teased about it when young so the new-born was given her grandmother's name - Rachel.

Lettice's husband agreed that he didn't want any of their sons called John, as he was. Why not? John's surname was Prick, son and grandson etc of generations of John Prick. Apart from not using John, Lettice and John changed the spelling and sound of their surname to Pryke.

The Pricks had been cattle owners and herders, using a goad (or prick) to herd cattle. By the time John married Lettice they had become farmers owning their own farm and felt that Prick no longer suited their new status.

But the family has not forgotten that they were descended from John Smith and John Prick.
 
i would have liked to have named one of my children Paris, a boy, but that didn't happen. :rolleyes:
 
One of my mother's cousin was a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages for over 40 years.

She tried to persuade some parents to be reasonable about birth names, for example:

One couple wanted to name their baby with all the surnames of the current Tottenham Hotspur football team - 23 names. The baby was a girl.

Another couple had the surname Shehe. They wanted to name their baby Pinkie. The baby was a boy.

She didn't succeed with either.
 
When I was young and an idiot and thought I was going to have kids, I rather liked the name Kyla Marie for a girl.
 
In all seriousness, I really like the name Laurel for a girl.

Not inspired by Literotoca's Laurel, but rather inspired by a haunting scene in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. In this scene, an immortal named Hob is looking at a book that his supposed ancestor (but really it was him) had made and bound in the 1500s. The person looking at the book with him comments that he can't read the name of the person the book is dedicated to. The immortal character quietly says "Laurel." The other man comments that is probably correct. However,
Hob becomes quiet and disengaged. No explanation is given, and Laurel has never been mentioned in the story prior to this, but Hob has clearly lost himself in a memory of a long-gone love.

The scene made an impression on me when I read it, and I decided that if I ever had a daughter, I'd name her Laurel. But I'm done having kids, and my daughter is not a Laurel, though I did suggest the name. 'Firecracker' would be a far more appropriate name for her, anyway.

My boys have names that suit them, though if I had another, I'd want him to be Sam, for Roger Zelazny's MahaSAMatman from Lord of Light.
 
We actually considered Bran Connor for a boy, but had girls instead. If we'd had another girl, we thought about Jade Rhiannon, but two was enough.
 
When I had my daughter (many moons ago), I didn't know the gender. I had chosen Matthew for a boy, after long consideration of many biblical names. Not that I'm particularly religious but for some reason I do like the longer names, they seem almost poetic to me. The girl's name was much harder to decide. I'd settled on Jessica just because I wasn't happy with anything else. But quite last minute I heard a name that is much more common in the US, and fell in love with it. So when she was born, it felt completely right.
 
We had decided on only one name when I was pregnant the first time and it was Maxwell. We had three girls. The fella was not a fan of calling any of them Maximillienne.
 
I may never name a child

If I did I liked Violet and Vivian for a girl and for boys a family name is what I would go with!
 
I don't really want children (this may change at some point), but I like the name Alia or Nadia for a girl and Asa or Sayed for a boy.
 
I dated a Sayed in college. He had nice eyes, but he broke up with me for being bi. I guess Muslim guys aren’t in to that.
 
Luckily I had a girl...

Only had a girl name chosen. Georgia. Never could decide on boy name. I liked Joseph. He didn’t.
 
Was conflicted on a boy's name. Wanted Jove but would not work with my last name. Wanted Leo but then Leonardo DiCaprio became popular and I don't care for him. FIL wanted Vinnie. I had a girl. Wanted Dulcinea. Nobody else did.
 
I think I have several kids but I dont know their names. Life can be fucked up like that.
 
I loved the name Braylee, but everyone else hated it. It was my number one pick. If I’d had a boy it would’ve been Jack Owen or Owen Jack.
 
When my wife was pregnant we were so certain that she was going to have a girl we only chose a girls name, Rhiannon. It was only about a week before the birth we chose a boys name just in case, which turned out to be handy for him.
 
I was given a name that was trendy at the time, and isn't used much anymore. Thankfully, I like it, and it seems to suit me.
Well done, Mom and Dad. My children all have 'classic' names, and at least one family name.

Another boy would have been Samuel Fox, Fox being a family surname on my father's side. Another girl would have been Susannah Pearl, both my mother, and my father's sister being named Susan, and my mother's middle name being Margaret, meaning, 'a pearl.'
 
Back
Top