In a Sunburned Country Story Event: Official Support Thread

Need a ruling.

My story just is not coming together. What’s the etiquette about a story set elsewhere among Australians? Say, their national softball team?

Need a ruling.

My story just is not coming together. What’s the etiquette about a story set elsewhere among Australians? Say, their national softball team?

Generically, I'd say as long as it's Australians it'd be okay. I know I said set in Australia, which was to give us non-Aussies a good opportunity, but I think Australians would be totally acceptable.

Generically, I'd say as long as it's Australians it'd be okay. I know I said set in Australia, which was to give us non-Aussies a good opportunity, but I think Australians would be totally acceptable.

Whee!

I’ll be heavily glorifying Aussie life, folkways, and culture. And vaginas.

Thanks!

Anyone know if the voting and comment options can be turned off story by story. I have a previous one I don't want to suffer a 1* bombing backlash seeing as how my offering is going to end up in LW :-(

PS may need a few sentences translated into Aussie. I've deliberately written around the issue as much as possible but still. Not much, but if anyone can help...

Anyone know if the voting and comment options can be turned off story by story. I have a previous one I don't want to suffer a 1* bombing backlash seeing as how my offering is going to end up in LW :-(

PS may need a few sentences translated into Aussie. I've deliberately written around the issue as much as possible but still. Not much, but if anyone can help...
Yes, they can. There's a box on the submission page, "Advanced Options" - you can turn off comments and/or votes.

Coincidence? There are no coincidences

Ok, I just joined the site and submitted my first story, which does not involve Australia, Australians, Quokkas, Uluru, nor the Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla. And definitely not Vegemite.

And, I chose my username before I was aware of this contest.

But that username means I must submit. And, well, drop bears will be involved. After all, the Truth Must Be Revealed, the murderous fuzzy grey tree dwelling perverts... Drop bears using the god-forsaken brown goo that is Vegemite in their perverted attacks...

Ok, I just joined the site and submitted my first story, which does not involve Australia, Australians, Quokkas, Uluru, nor the Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla. And definitely not Vegemite.

And, I chose my username before I was aware of this contest.

But that username means I must submit. And, well, drop bears will be involved. After all, the Truth Must Be Revealed, the murderous fuzzy grey tree dwelling perverts... Drop bears using the god-forsaken brown goo that is Vegemite in their perverted attacks...

I think anyone with a username in any way relating to Australia is somewhat obliged to submit a story ;)

Who am I to deny my Aussie friends their chance to laugh and scorn?
Me. I'm not an Aussie. But as I've spent a fair bit of time there this year I've been thinking I really should submit something. And it's about halfway done now. It seems to be turning into a Romance... it's sort of suddenly writing itself after a few weeks of wallowing around.

Need a ruling.

I'm an Australian and the best advice I can give is to be cautious with geography, history and when referencing native flora and fauna if unfamiliar with them.

For example I'm from Melbourne, and have written quite a few stories set in my home city. Living in Melbourne, I'm obviously very familiar with this location so put in more details into these stories. Likewise I have been to Sydney, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth and Darwin so can put in more details in stories set in these locations, because I am familiar enough with them.

If I am setting a story overseas or one set years in the past, I tend to be less descriptive, keeping things less detailed. For example, one of my stories is set in North Carolina in 1963, a place I have never visited and before I was born, so did not get too specific.

Small errors may slip by and other errors may go un-noticed by overseas readers, but if you make glaring errors such as the hypothetical ones below Australian and New Zealand readers will pick up on them straight away:

* If you set a story in Sydney in the early 1960s, don't reference the Sydney Opera House, which wasn't built until the 1970s.
* Melbourne is very cold in the winter, but not enough for it to snow. Don't write a story set on a snowy winters night in Melbourne.
* Australia is a vast country. If you set your story in the South Australian capital Adelaide, don't have the characters visit the Great Barrier Reef on a day's outing as this is thousands of kilometers away in Queensland.
* Western Australia is a long way from the Eastern States, and some iconic Aussie animals aren't found there except in zoos or wildlife parks. If setting a story in Perth, don't have characters looking up a tree to see a koala, or a platypus swimming in the Swan River, as these animals are not natives to WA. Likewise, the cute quokkas are only found in limited places in WA (mainly Rottnest Island), so don't have them hopping around Canberra or Tasmania!
* Trams can be found extensively in Melbourne, with some limited trams in Adelaide and the Gold Coast. But there are no trams in Perth or the Queensland capital Brisbane, so don't have characters catching trams if your stories are set in these cities.
* Do some research if setting a story in a city you are unfamiliar with. Darwin, the Northern Territory Capital, is very beautiful and the sunsets over the ocean amazing. So how about two young lovers taking an evening swim in the ocean off Darwin as the sun sets on a beautiful hot day? Sounds romantic? What could possibly be wrong with this idea? Saltwater crocodiles that inhabit these waters would love something like this to happen, as they would get an easy meal. You never swim in the ocean off Darwin.

Good luck with your story.

Well. I'm doing my research, mate. Watched Crocodile Dundee again. Drank a Barossa Valley Shiraz and had been reading We of the Never Never. That should do it.

I'm an Australian and the best advice I can give is to be cautious with geography, history and when referencing native flora and fauna if unfamiliar with them.

For example I'm from Melbourne, and have written quite a few stories set in my home city. Living in Melbourne, I'm obviously very familiar with this location so put in more details into these stories. Likewise I have been to Sydney, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth and Darwin so can put in more details in stories set in these locations, because I am familiar enough with them.

If I am setting a story overseas or one set years in the past, I tend to be less descriptive, keeping things less detailed. For example, one of my stories is set in North Carolina in 1963, a place I have never visited and before I was born, so did not get too specific.

Small errors may slip by and other errors may go un-noticed by overseas readers, but if you make glaring errors such as the hypothetical ones below Australian and New Zealand readers will pick up on them straight away:

* If you set a story in Sydney in the early 1960s, don't reference the Sydney Opera House, which wasn't built until the 1970s.
* Melbourne is very cold in the winter, but not enough for it to snow. Don't write a story set on a snowy winters night in Melbourne.
* Australia is a vast country. If you set your story in the South Australian capital Adelaide, don't have the characters visit the Great Barrier Reef on a day's outing as this is thousands of kilometers away in Queensland.
* Western Australia is a long way from the Eastern States, and some iconic Aussie animals aren't found there except in zoos or wildlife parks. If setting a story in Perth, don't have characters looking up a tree to see a koala, or a platypus swimming in the Swan River, as these animals are not natives to WA. Likewise, the cute quokkas are only found in limited places in WA (mainly Rottnest Island), so don't have them hopping around Canberra or Tasmania!
* Trams can be found extensively in Melbourne, with some limited trams in Adelaide and the Gold Coast. But there are no trams in Perth or the Queensland capital Brisbane, so don't have characters catching trams if your stories are set in these cities.
* Do some research if setting a story in a city you are unfamiliar with. Darwin, the Northern Territory Capital, is very beautiful and the sunsets over the ocean amazing. So how about two young lovers taking an evening swim in the ocean off Darwin as the sun sets on a beautiful hot day? Sounds romantic? What could possibly be wrong with this idea? Saltwater crocodiles that inhabit these waters would love something like this to happen, as they would get an easy meal. You never swim in the ocean off Darwin.

Good luck with your story.

Wow! Thanks, mate!

That's some valuable info there, and I appreciate it, but alas! I was asking whether it'd be kosher to set my story outside Oz. Only, involving Aussies.

I'm being careful, though. The story's set in 1996, and it's fun to write while making sure I avoid anachronisms. I'm particularly enjoying the protagonist's confusion when he encounters a digital camera.

Well, some of the locals do, but large amounts of alcohol are involved. One of my relatives worked with a guy who got drunk enough to swim out and stand on top of a crocodile trap. He made the front page of the NT News.

For American readers, this is similar to starring in a Florida Man story. Crocodile traps are set in areas where there are large dangerous crocs, and baited to attract large dangerous crocs, so swimming near one is a very unwise thing to do.

Multiple stories?

A question. Is it ok to submit multiple stories? I have a couple in mind. Only one involves drop bears.

I have just about finished a story I have been working on for months and was going to publish it when I came across this thread. I did actually submit it a few days ago but withdrew it before it was seen when I realised I could improve it.

Now I find if I delay it it would be technically eligible for this theme as it is set in Australia.

There is nothing particularly Australian about it. I just set it where I live - Brisbane. I could have set it in any city in any English speaking country just by changing the name of the city and the three other place names referred to.

Is that in the spirit of the theme?

It will only be my second Literotica story. Like the first it is a Loving Wives story and will be unpopular with the trolls as it is about loving wives who love and are loved and is neither BTB nor about cuckold humiliation. Unless I improve it the title will be "A Couple Who Love Their Colleagues"

Last edited:
I have just about finished a story I have been working on for months and was going to publish it when I came across this thread. I did actually submit it a few days ago but withdrew it before it was seen when I realised I could improve it.

Now I find if I delay it it would be technically eligible for this theme as it is set in Australia.

There is nothing particularly Australian about it. I just set it where I live - Brisbane. I could have set it in any city in any English speaking country just by changing the name of the city and the three other place names referred to.

Is that in the spirit of the theme?

It will only be my second Literotica story. Like the first it is a Loving Wives story and will be unpopular with the trolls as it is about loving wives who love and are loved and is neither BTB nor about cuckold humiliation.

The only requirement really is that the story be set in Australia. If you picked Brisbane and that's where it's set, I'd say good enough and throw it in. It's not a competition, so there's no winners and no judges other than the usual reader votes. So go ahead, include it. It meets the deliberately broad criteria for sure. Which is that the story event set inAustralia.

Back