Interpreting # of Views

jason121872

Virgin
Hi, I'm a fairly new author. I've posted a couple stories here. I am wondering about how to interpret the stats.

Suppose I have 7K views but 100 votes. How many viewers probably read the story to at least half-way?

I understand it gets opened to see what it is. Everyone's taste and mood is different. If just 10% of the viewers give my story and honest shot at entertaining them, that'd be awesome! That'd be 700 readers.

But only 100 voted! Do 1 in 10 readers vote?

What do you guys think. I'd appreciate any comments. You can message me too if the comment is off topic.

The average is typically around 1-2% votes to views, once the initial honeymoon period settles down. That also varies by category. Most people don't vote, even fewer favorite a story, and even fewer will comment.

There's no way to know how many people finished the story ( or themselves ) beyond those who leave a vote or comment. Odds are the number is larger than the interaction would indicate, but that's about the best you can do.

You should also figure in about 20% of the total views are pure bots and spiders. It's a free to read site, after all. Could be even higher, but that was the best calculation I've been able to come up with when comparing the results to the same stories on a members-only site.

My most recent stat track, if you want to look at a wide variety of categories over the years.

http://www.darkniciad.com/hotlink_pics/all_3_names_12_18.htm

Last edited:
Suppose I have 7K views but 100 votes. How many viewers probably read the story to at least half-way?

When I used to read stories more often, it was possible for me to come back to a 10 page story once a day for ten days straight, and if I found a story with a hot-sizzling-stroke scene, I could visit that story quite often :eek: but then I found :heart: ;) and I wouldn't read stories, lost it, found it, lost it, found it, lost, etc.

My point is, as a reader, I could account for around a hundred views for a good story during its first month of release when I was single. If someone likes your story, a true bibliophile with a Harry Potter like obsessions could be responsible for a couple of hundred views to your story.

There have been previous threads on this question. From what I've seen of my own stories and stories of others, as well as data compiled by Hector Bidon and 8Letters, who've posted threads on this subject, the common ratio is 80 -100 views: 1 vote. Presumably the number of readers lies somewhere between those two figures, but nobody knows for certain what the number is.

In a case where you have 100 views and 1 vote, I suspect the number of readers -- people who've read all or nearly all the story -- is somewhere between 40 and 10. That's somewhat speculative, but I think it makes sense when you analyze how view and vote counts shake out in other stories, including particularly chapter stories. The range is quite broad and it's hard to narrow it down.

My story file (60+ stories/chapters) averages out at 1 vote per 100 views, one comment per thousand. Based on my chaptered story series (those with one story arc), my numbers suggest 20% will read through to the end (50% will read the second chapter, 20% the third through to the end). Interpolating backwards, for a stand-alone story, I reckon one in five will read it, 80% will back click in the first two or three paras. I've only dabbled in Incest - those guys will read more, I suspect, but only in that category.

Simon made a great point in the other thread, that if you look at the chaptered stories, they get thousands of views, even though the votes may only be in the low hundreds.

That would suggest that a lot of people are reading and not voting.

I can't blame anyone. I use youtube a ton and i've only given maybe a couple thumbs up.

I think people just don't see the point of scoring a story, or think that their votes don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, which is a fair opinion.

I was a reader here for over ten years before I thought of joining, let alone posting. Never once, in all those years, did it ever occur to me to vote even once. It SURELY didn’t mean I didn’t like any of the stories; I did assume, for awhile, that you had to join to vote, and I didn’t want to join.

Who knows who else out there is a loyal and informed reader, capable of repeated thought-out views of my own stories, but who just doesn’t bother voting?

I think, unless I’d started writing and reading this subforum, I still wouldn’t be bothering to vote.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!
And the link to the other thread.
This is a huge help for me.

I was a reader here for over ten years before I thought of joining, let alone posting. Never once, in all those years, did it ever occur to me to vote even once. It SURELY didn’t mean I didn’t like any of the stories; I did assume, for awhile, that you had to join to vote, and I didn’t want to join.

Who knows who else out there is a loyal and informed reader, capable of repeated thought-out views of my own stories, but who just doesn’t bother voting?

I think, unless I’d started writing and reading this subforum, I still wouldn’t be bothering to vote.

I’m like you in a sense. I started out reading on this site long before I submitted my first story. Never once did I vote. Some stories I came back to read multiple times because they entertained me even though they weren’t well written.

When I started submitting my own stories, I kept my same habit of not voting. I don’t critique other authors work. It’s not my style, but I will leave a comment and let them know I enjoyed what they wrote🌹Kant👠👠👠

...and then there are the trolls.

If your story is good and might rise to show up on a high scoring list there are those who will 1-vote you as many times as they have alts to keep from getting there.

:eek:

...and then there are the trolls.

If your story is good and might rise to show up on a high scoring list there are those who will 1-vote you as many times as they have alts to keep from getting there.

:eek:

Zeb's post brings up a question I've had. Is there any way to see the distribution of your scores? You get to see the average, but is there any way to see how many actual 5* votes it has gotten versus the number of 1* votes?

I had one story clocking near 4.9 then it went to 3.9 and now it is back at least high enough to get the coveted [HOT] designation. I would love to see what happened.

James

Zeb's post brings up a question I've had. Is there any way to see the distribution of your scores? You get to see the average, but is there any way to see how many actual 5* votes it has gotten versus the number of 1* votes?

I had one story clocking near 4.9 then it went to 3.9 and now it is back at least high enough to get the coveted [HOT] designation. I would love to see what happened.

James
Unless you track your own stats, no. Some folk watch their scores build up over the first week or so, and get a vaguely informed idea. I know some who have set up their own monitor-bot, that sends them an update every time a rating changes.

Me, I wait thirty days and then say, "Well, that's how that story went." I don't track a thing - scores are what scores is.

James

You cannot know for certain, but based on score and total votes you can calculate the minimum and maximum number of 5 votes you might have. Somebody wrote an article about it: https://literotica.com/s/how-to-analyze-your-scores.

Another method is to pay close attention from the moment your story is published. If you track new votes each time the score is refreshed you can get a pretty good idea of how many 5s and 1s you have. But it's very time consuming to do this, and your conscience after a while will tell you there are more important things to do.

What I am really looking at is the distribution.

If a story has been rated 10 times and it has a score of 34 points (3.40 rating).

That could mean 6 - 5s and 4 - 1s. Which means somebody is threatened and 1 bombed it.

That could also mean 2 - 5, 3 - 4, 3 - 3, 1 - 2 and 1 - 1. Which would be a reasonable distribution.

So it really does make a difference how a story is rated, not just the number of ratings and total score.

James

What I am really looking at is the distribution.

If a story has been rated 10 times and it has a score of 34 points (3.40 rating).

That could mean 6 - 5s and 4 - 1s. Which means somebody is threatened and 1 bombed it.

That could also mean 2 - 5, 3 - 4, 3 - 3, 1 - 2 and 1 - 1. Which would be a reasonable distribution.

So it really does make a difference how a story is rated, not just the number of ratings and total score.

James

It would be interesting to know the actual breakdown of the ratings; however, I would say that I'd agree with you (how a story is rated) up to a point; once you surpass a large number of votes it would take a significant amount of additional votes to sway the rating up or down...correct?

I suspect any numerical analysis won’t make any sense, because....

1. Not every reader rates every story.
2. Not every reader uses the same rubric for their votes.
3. The ratings are undoubtedly inflated anyway.

With emphasis on point #1. Our population of voting readers is a self-selected one. So expecting a normal distribution strikes me as folly.

I suspect any numerical analysis won’t make any sense, because....

1. Not every reader rates every story.
2. Not every reader uses the same rubric for their votes.
3. The ratings are undoubtedly inflated anyway.

With emphasis on point #1. Our population of voting readers is a self-selected one. So expecting a normal distribution strikes me as folly.

That's not necessarily true. A distribution allows for the fact that individual inputs may show strange anomalies.

It's clear that the distribution of scores for all stories is not a normal, "bell-shaped" curve. It skews high, so a mean score in most categories is far above a score of 2.5. It's closer to 4.

But it's not at all clear to be what the distribution is for an average story.

Consider JM's hypothetical story with a 3.4 score. Do we have any clue what it's probable distribution is?

With only 10 votes, we don't, because it's too small a sample size to make a meaningful guess. It could have a bunch of 5s with some 1-bombs, or it could have mostly 3s and 4s. My own personal experience is that there's so much bombing the day a story is submitted that the first scenario wouldn't be surprising.

But with 100 votes it's VERY unlikely that the story has many 5s. It's much more likely that the score distribution is closer to normal.

You cannot know for certain, but based on score and total votes you can calculate the minimum and maximum number of 5 votes you might have. Somebody wrote an article about it: https://literotica.com/s/how-to-analyze-your-scores.

Another method is to pay close attention from the moment your story is published. If you track new votes each time the score is refreshed you can get a pretty good idea of how many 5s and 1s you have. But it's very time consuming to do this, and your conscience after a while will tell you there are more important things to do.

They key note here is - there are more important things to do - like working on the next story/chapter. I get the fact new readers are curious about what their peers think because at one time I was in the same boat - probably all of us.

To the OP: don’t sweat the small stuff. Just keep swimming - uh wrong movie - just keep writing and if you want to improve at it: listen to the advice given to you, read more than you write and actually look at how others tell a story.
🌹Kant👠👠👠

Back