Is happiness a choice?

Jada59

Literotica Guru
I believe it is.

Some years ago, I was in a diabetes support group. I didn't feel it necessary but my then husband and I were in marriage counseling at the time and the counselor felt it would be good for me.

What wound up happening was that the people in the group came to me after the session one day and said that they wanted to meet up with me afterwards. Why? The counselor was always in a down mood and seemed to do nothing but complain and warn us of dangers. Telling us what not to eat or drink and to beware of this or that. It was all I could do to sit through the group especially when the leader would hand out things she printed from the Internet that I knrw not to be true or suspect at best.

The people in the group said that they liked the fact that I was always happy despite my diabetes and other medical problems. So we'd spend an hour or two at a coffee shop after our meeting and they said that being around me put them in a much better mood.

And after I moved to another state, several of them wanted to keep in contact with me so we did either via snail mail or the Internet. Some of the people in the group were elderly and had no computer.

Now I can't say that I'm constantly chipper. That would be a bit weird. Sometimes I'm in pain or don't feel well and when I'm like that, I try to stay away from people until I'm in a better mood.

But... I can usually manage find something good or humorous in any situation. I have even left medical people in stitches. I had a very long labor and my daughter's head was molding to my cervix so she wasn't coming out. I was in pain as I had refused any pain meds but I asked to stand up because gravity! And then said I would make chocolate milk if she'd come out. The nurse laughed and asked how I planned to do that? I pointed to my overnight bag and said that I put some chocolate in there. When that didn't work, I put a stuffed animal between my legs and said, "Come out and you can have this!" I was the one in distress and yet I kept everyone laughing.

The way I see it, we can decide what we focus on. I try to focus on positive things. I've had others get upset with me because I don't get upset. Yesterday my daughter got all bent out of shape over what she thought was another person showing me disrespect. In reality, the other person had no clue what they had done. I mention the incident to them but not in an angry fashion, because I didn't have all the facts. Turned out that the person was in a hurry, not paying attention and didn't even realize what they did. They put the situation right, then all three of us had a laugh.

And today, my friend kept going on and on about how livid she was about ____. She gave me a variety of scenarios in her life and how livid she was and how she was always blowing up at people. And she does do that. I've seen her do it. Thankfully she hasn't done it to me! I keep wanting to tell her, "You're a Libra! You're all about balance and you're out of balance!" I just can't understand why someone would choose to keep blowing up over the same things again and again. She never seems to change the situation. It's like a constant repeat over and over again of her wallowing in self pity and complaints. I did wind up getting her to laugh her head off by reading her a humorous review of a product on Amazon. So she *can* be happy. But... Why does she choose not to?

Bottom line... I think we can choose happiness if we want to. What do you think?

Depends on what you define happiness as.

I define it as being in a good mood. Feeling full of abundance. Feeling like I want to hug the world. Wanting to laugh and smile and make others laugh and smile. That feeling you are left with after an orgasm. Like... Complete. Wanting for nothing. Totally relaxed. That sort of thing.

I define it as being in a good mood. Feeling full of abundance. Feeling like I want to hug the world. Wanting to laugh and smile and make others laugh and smile. That feeling you are left with after an orgasm. Like... Complete. Wanting for nothing. Totally relaxed. That sort of thing.

Nah....that's just serotonin, oxytocin and dopamine.

Without them you'd be another depressed fuck.

Nah....that's just serotonin, oxytocin and dopamine.

Without them you'd be another depressed fuck.

Yabbut, I have them. Especially the oxytocin. That's how I can have orgasms from hugging sometimes.

Are you saying that some people don't have these things? Maybe I'm just lucky. Or abundant in the hormone dept. :D

Yabbut, I have them. Especially the oxytocin. That's how I can have orgasms from hugging sometimes.

Are you saying that some people don't have these things? Maybe I'm just lucky. Or abundant in the hormone dept. :D

I doubt most are devoid of them, but lower levels no doubt.

Point is it's not a choice, it's a chemical soup.

If it was, I'd choose it. But since it isn't ....

Oh, and shut up BB.

I think part of it might be choice and part of it maybe just the way we are.

I like to make others laugh and I'm very shy so I cover that with a lot of silliness.

Plus if I'm cranky I don't like the feeling and try to shake myself out of the debbie downer mode into a happier frame of mind.

But I also think I am the way I am because there is a lot of depression and mental un wellness in my family history so I'm constantly aware of that and try to be upbeat or go do something to make me feel better.

It might be a long walk with my neighbours dog. go into my garden, turn up the music and dance or go hug the weirdos in my family, watch a silly comedy or pretend I'm a wally and just do something silly. :D

"Happiness" is a fuzzy concept. Part brain soup, part wiring, part circumstance, part free will.

You can have a belief system (religious, philosophical, ideological, whatevs) that can assist in dealing with external threats to happiness. But whether or not that's enough to put you in control of it? No sure bet.

I think part of it might be choice and part of it maybe just the way we are.

I like to make others laugh and I'm very shy so I cover that with a lot of silliness.

Plus if I'm cranky I don't like the feeling and try to shake myself out of the debbie downer mode into a happier frame of mind.

But I also think I am the way I am because there is a lot of depression and mental un wellness in my family history so I'm constantly aware of that and try to be upbeat or go do something to make me feel better.

It might be a long walk with my neighbours dog. go into my garden, turn up the music and dance or go hug the weirdos in my family, watch a silly comedy or pretend I'm a wally and just do something silly. :D

Oh heck yeah! Mental illness in my family too. That could be part of it. But also, the way I was raised... One parent told me that I could be whoever/whatever I wanted to be but... Both parents believed males to be superior in every way and they tried to drill that into my head. *I* don't believe that and thankfully I don't follow the crowd and such so I learned that my own happiness has to come from within. I'm not shy though. Maybe that helps.

You can dwell on things or you can move forward. Your choice.

"Happiness" is a fuzzy concept. Part brain soup, part wiring, part circumstance, part free will.

You can have a belief system (religious, philosophical, ideological, whatevs) that can assist in dealing with external threats to happiness. But whether or not that's enough to put you in control of it? No sure bet.

That could be. I remember seeing some TV show some years back about Finnish people and how they disliked to show emotions. I've never been to Finland but my best friend who was half Finnish and half Irish didn't seem that way. Then again, he committed suicide so.... Hmmm... His mom and her sisters were very serious though and never smiled. They were Finnish.

But more recently I made a friend who is back in Finland now and she certainly smiled and joked around. Dunno.

Perhaps this is not a one size fits all thing.

I think of happiness as being contented. Okay. If I'm okay, then "stuff" is okay.

The trick is, my brain thinks entirely too much. However, I'm 100% in charge of what I allow it to entertain. Thoughts are like cats that crawl into my lap. Some of them will accept three pats on the head and then draw blood. Those need to be pushed back on the floor as soon as they jump up. Others will happily sit and purr for hours. Those may stay.

If I focus on negativity and fear and resentment, it's exhausting. I can focus on it by not paying attention - the bad cat gets to stay that way. I need a better cat. Find a better thought and focus on it. Activity also helps. Do something, even if it's only putting the laundry away. Focus on that, even if it feels for the moment like looking down a soda straw. You can expand your horizon after your mood improves. I have acted my way out of depression.

Fear is a huge downer. Fear of losing something I have or of not getting what (I think) I want brings out the worst in me, and it ultimately will paralyze me. It helps to remember, what would I do if I weren't afraid, and then do it.

I think of happiness as being contented. Okay. If I'm okay, then "stuff" is okay.

The trick is, my brain thinks entirely too much. However, I'm 100% in charge of what I allow it to entertain. Thoughts are like cats that crawl into my lap. Some of them will accept three pats on the head and then draw blood. Those need to be pushed back on the floor as soon as they jump up. Others will happily sit and purr for hours. Those may stay.

If I focus on negativity and fear and resentment, it's exhausting. I can focus on it by not paying attention - the bad cat gets to stay that way. I need a better cat. Find a better thought and focus on it. Activity also helps. Do something, even if it's only putting the laundry away. Focus on that, even if it feels for the moment like looking down a soda straw. You can expand your horizon after your mood improves. I have acted my way out of depression.

Fear is a huge downer. Fear of losing something I have or of not getting what (I think) I want brings out the worst in me, and it ultimately will paralyze me. It helps to remember, what would I do if I weren't afraid, and then do it.

I like the cat analogy.

I don't let fear control me. I don't have too many fears. So I guess I'm lucky there!

Not sure about happiness but BotBoy is living proof you can choose to be a miserable fuck.:rolleyes:

Depends on what you define happiness as.

I believe happiness is a choice exactly as far you can choose the definition. It's extremely easy to fall unhappy pursuing unattainable and/or misguided definition of happiness. That's definitely a choice.

Then there's the chemical soup in the brain that establish base levels, but it is not like you couldn't do anything at all about that too. And I don't mean doing drugs although taking meds is a possibility if anything else fails, but you can just go out and be active and do things, and usually it's all what needed, and that's pretty much always is a choice.

I like the cat analogy.

I don't let fear control me. I don't have too many fears. So I guess I'm lucky there!

You are, indeed, fortunate.

Fear often, it seems to me, disguises itself as righteous indignation. And there is no bigger idiot than the one who is convinced of his "rightness." So the mood this person decides to be in is misguided at best.

I had a difficult time maintaining a PMA today. Circumstances can feel heavy sometimes. That said, I could be positive to others today. No sense acting poorly because you don't feel like roses. We can always act better than we feel.

And that's what the world sees from us anyway.

Mind over matter?

Life is pain, and succumbing to the bad situations we find ourselves in and wallowing in bad moods is easy. Overcoming bad circumstances and being happy is not easy.

Back