Troll World.

To me Bond is like Superman.

Good original concept, but the same old same old and nothing resembling realism. Like the Austin Powers bit goes, why don't you just walk up and shoot him in the head?

Then again Bond could probably dodge a bullet from three feet away.:rolleyes:

Boring as hell.

I think Superman has an undeserved reputation as inherently boring. The problem with Superman, is that everyone thinks of him as a hero, instead of a god. Stories about gods aren't about saving kittens and untying damsels from train tracks. They're about being a god, and inversely, about being human. God-for-life is a lonely position, full of big emotions and fascinating scenarios. It does not, however, satisfy the craving of action-adventure or fit well into the dramas of serial-heroism.

I do agree, though, that he and Bond suffer under a similar curse. Both of them are chained by their popularity, contained by the stereotypical image they helped to create. There is an uproar every time an author tries to take them in a new direction. As a result, people are shoehorned into turning out the same tired stuff.

I think Craig's Bond holds some value, though he's about a three decades too late on the tortured anti-hero bandwagon to be anything approaching a revelation. Likewise, the Superman of "Red Son" is interesting, as is the one appearing in "The Dark Knight Returns", "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "Kingdom Come", a few others. Like anything, a character is only as good as his writer.
 
Of course if you want unbelievable action heroes...The Destroyer series takes the cake. Remo Williams Master of "sinanju" he can dodge bullets crawl up walls....

The only reason I kept reading them was because they usually had some sex in them and my parents didn't know that:D

Mack Bolan had its ups and downs
 
The aspect of James Bond that filmmakers have to try to keep connected is the tongue-in-cheek aspect. Ian Fleming wrote spy novels from the inside, which means he could take real elements (his humorous organization names like Smersh, for instance, were real spy organizations) and present them on two levels, one delving in humor the other being a dark side. That a suave "martini," nonthreatening (in bulk) ladies man (essentially the British spy model) could do the impossible in survival tricks was all for humor. Thus Sean Connery and Roger Moore were the best of the Fleming models for Bond. When you get to Craig, you're moving toward an Americanization of the character, emphasizing more the physicality of the character that starts to go beyond the Fleming (and British) concept. I think Craig managed to keep the tongue-in-cheek edge, but just barely.

Those on the inside of intelligence can have great fun with the Fleming model. Where the Americanization of it is threatening to go, not so much.
 
I don't mind unbelievable action, so long as it is purposely so. Don't pee on my foot and tell me it's gasoline, and then tell me you can ignite said gasoline with a bullet ricochet off of the nearby concrete, and then finally, that my foot will explode, because that's just what fire does. I don't like ridiculousness for its own sake, unless it's for comedic intent, but there are times when a story benefits from a lack of realism. The sci-fi and fantasy genres are (sometimes) testaments to that.

As to being on the inside of Secret Intelligence, I can't really speak to that. Nor can many, I imagine. It seems like a fairly small audience, people in the know about being in the know, as it were. Plus, it seems like a decidedly bad way to blow one's cover. "Henchmen, attend the movie premiere and shoot anyone who laughs at the quippy inside joke stuff. This is my most ingenious plan ever. Mwahhahaha!"

I do, however, miss Sean Connery, and consider him to be the best Bond. But that's just plain intelligence, little "i". :)
 
It might help to know that Fleming, in the vein of Graham Greene, wrote these as an insider's amusement and tension reliever. A mega movie empire wasn't envisioned or in any way hoped for.
 
That, and NO moderation.

True, I've seen posts edited and threads deleted over there.

But the AH is not moderated either and although there is some sniping there is nothing like what goes on in the PG or GB. The GB is the worst they will try to harass you off lit as well.

The sites "freedom of speech" has translated into ignorance, racism, and cyber bullying and its all okay as long as you say the word "cunt" over and over and suck the ass of the right person.
 
True, I've seen posts edited and threads deleted over there.

But the AH is not moderated either and although there is some sniping there is nothing like what goes on in the PG or GB. The GB is the worst they will try to harass you off lit as well.

The sites "freedom of speech" has translated into ignorance, racism, and cyber bullying and its all okay as long as you say the word "cunt" over and over and suck the ass of the right person.

Hey, some of us can't really type out 5 paragraphs every time we need to express a thought/opinion and neither do we possess the patience/ attention span to read more than 3 lines of text at a stretch, that doesn't mean we ought to be denied the privilege of having our words floating around out there in the ether.

The edited/ deleted posts is usually spam/ underage content/ personal info.

You should also know that the some of us I speak of mostly just consists of me.
 
Hey, some of us can't really type out 5 paragraphs every time we need to express a thought/opinion and neither do we possess the patience/ attention span to read more than 3 lines of text at a stretch, that doesn't mean we ought to be denied the privilege of having our words floating around out there in the ether.

The edited/ deleted posts is usually spam/ underage content/ personal info.

You should also know that the some of us I speak of mostly just consists of me.

Only the political zealots in the GB do 5 paragraphs(mostly of copy paste and pretend they thought of it) the rest of the posts are usually a sentence and mostly insulting or what they feel passes for clever. "Cunt" is popular because its 4 letters and is demeaning to women. so pretty much as win win in the GB
 
Reading DISTURBER OF THE PEACE by William Manchester.

Its an authorized bio of H.L.Mencken written when Manchester was a larval historian back in the 1940s. Manchesters writing sucked, then. And the value of its price is Manchesters anecdotes of Mencken. Manchester was Menckens protégé.

After WW2 Manchester earned a masters degree, and wrote a dissertation of Menckens critical work during the 1920s. He sent the dissertation to Mencken for comments and corrections, then came east to meet Mencken. Mencken okayed Manchesters request to write a bio, and gave Manchester a job with the Baltimore SUN. They became good, close friends until Mencken died.

At some point early on Manchester asked Mencken to review a manuscript of a novel Manchester wanted to publish. Mencken read the mss and told Manchester to burn it. The novel never sold, and Manchester finally burned it.

Manchesters oeuvre is generally sublime reading, but not this one. Mencken would characterize it as a Pollyanna with her knees pressed together.
 
You be at the rite place to troll.

Not a right/write day for you, I take it, JBJ. :rolleyes:

Just calling to mind those writers asking for feedback who you slap down for their grammar and punctuation. I think you may be the poster child for irony.

But it's all good, you crave this attention.
 
Not a right/write day for you, I take it, JBJ. :rolleyes:

Just calling to mind those writers asking for feedback who you slap down for their grammar and punctuation. I think you may be the poster child for irony.

But it's all good, you crave this attention.

You err thinking the rules for you and noobs apply to me.
 
Henry Louis Mencken was our first troll, tho I think the honor goes to Mark Twain.

But Mencken set out to troll readers, commenting, READERS LIKE TO BE ABUSED. Readers raised hell and the paper sold more subscriptions and street copies. Readers cover their eyes and peek thru their fingers.

Then, as now, the cops buried reports that involved prominent citizens, but others knew, and sent Mencken notes which prompted Mencken to write about the incidents on his paper's editorial page. Like the time a local Methodist bishop was caught in the arms of a naked Boy Scout.

That sort of thing is OK today, even welcome in all the Blue States; and Mencken would hafta row further out for his kettle of fish if he wanted to raise eyebrows.
 
evileye.jpg


RARE PHOTO OF LOVECRAFT FOUND.
 
We already have that. It's called the playground. It even has its own troll. Remember the one who spammed every forum and then was outed in the GB?

Sure, we all remember your Peedrinker21 alt and the byzantine way you tried to twist it into some mild mannered member trolling himself.

Glad you have finally retired that troll after this post, today.
 
Back
Top