Arabian Nights (Closed)

EroticLiteracy

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 27, 2017
Posts
1,085
The sun began its journey down casting the desert and the sultan’s palace in shadows. The grand palace of the Sultan stood proud and tall jutting out amongst the sand dunes. The palace itself was situated on the edge of an oasis and its walkways and spires twisted and wrapped around the palm trees and water. The torches of the guards could be seen moving around the walkways chatting amongst themselves and loosely cradling their guns.

The sultan was a kind man in a harsh environment. He treated his people fairly and worked with them to strike a life in the unforgiving desert. Life was hard but ultimately rewarding and the Sultan made sure everyone was taken care of. He was beloved and because of that the guards were lax in their mandate to protect the grounds. Who would dare attack their beloved Sultan?

Arbaaz Mir rose from his perch in the grass. He was close to the edge of the lack so close he could hear the insects buzzing and drinking from the life sustaining water. The slight man waited a few seconds longer before he began to run pumping his arms as he attempted to beat the clock. He reached one of the walkways in seconds and faulted over it grabbing one of the lush palm trees that dotted the sultans grounds.

His long nimble hands hooked into the tree. With a grunt he began to scamper up the trunk pulling his weight easily. His white hood shifted as he climbed revealing the shadow of a handsome dark-skinned face and a pointed chin. His white and gold trimmed robes swayed against his body lightly hitting his brown slacks.
He reached the top of the palm tree and pressed himself against the bark. He waited his entire body going still. Mere seconds later the sound of conversation and footsteps reached the man. A group of guards passed by down below him chatting amongst themselves as he hid in the shadows of the palm tree.

“Have you gotten a look at it yet?”

“What? The necklace or the princess?”

The guards laughed their movement carrying them father and father from Arbaaz. He waited a few minutes longer and then carefully dropped down from the top of the tree. He hung in the air for a second his momentum carrying him down and onto the stone steps below. He waited until the last second to roll saving himself from any fall damage.

He didn’t waste a second. He kept running moving over the stone steps and to the side of the palace. He reached the clay stone walls and without a moment’s hesitation began to dig his hands into small cracks that dotted the wall. He began to climb sticking to the shadows as much as he can. Eventually he pulled a small pike out of his belt digging it in and carefully testing every foothold he found.
His progress was slow, by the time he reached the top of the wall the sun had finished its dip to the earth. He pulled himself up taking in the beautiful starry night sky. He reached up pulling down his beaked hood revealing his face and bright jade green eyes. He starred at the starry night sky so lost in the breath-taking splendor of the night that he almost missed the guards.

“What day is he arriving?”

Arbaaz moved pumping his legs and vaulting back over the wall. He turned twisting his body in midair and catching the ledge at the last seconds. His body slammed against the wall his arms tightening as he tightened his body and planted his feet firmly on the wall.

“Commander Brandt said next week” One of the guards said a mere inch from Arbaaz.

“rajul mahzuz” The other guard said snorting “I can’t believe the princess has to marry that westerner”

“It’s for the good of the land” The first guard said reminding the man “the protection will be enough to keep the Khal of the desert away”

“The Khal doesn’t scare me” The second guard murmured his voice not convincing.

“Sure he doesn’t” The first guard laughed “Come on I hid some wine yesterday”

Arbaaz breathed out a sigh of relief. His arms were burning from the effort of keeping his body suspended in the air. Even so he waited, waited until their voices disappeared and he counted to ten. He pulled himself halfway up scanning the walkways for any signs of guards. Once he was sure he was safe he fully pulled himself up. He shook his arms out curling and uncurling them as he rushed to the wooden door. He reached the entranceway and paused once more pressing his ear against the door and listening intently.

Once he was sure he was safe he carefully opened the door. He opened it halfway sliding through and closing it behind him. He reached out and locked it turning the heavy brass key and then pulling it out. He tucked it into his pouch and moved keeping his body low to the ground as he entered the palace. He stuck to the shadows using the vaulted entranceways and pillars to hide himself from any passing guard or servant. Luckily the palace was empty this late and the royal family asleep.

He kept picking his way through the palace making his way to the tower that the princess herself lived in. His target was her bedroom and the necklace that resided within.

The heavy door that led to the staircases were blocked forcing Arbaaz to leave the inner rooms of the palace. He took to the walls of the palace once more scaling it easily. There was a balcony on the very top of the tower one he had no doubt led to the princess’s chambers. Instead of using the balcony he ducked into the first window he saw.

He found himself in an expansive closet. A variety of expensive and opulent gowns hung from wooden hangers. There were several shelves and cabinets littered the large space showcasing a variety of different jewels and high-priced objects.

“There you are” Arbaaz said smiling in pleasure as his eyes landed on the center podium. The jewels sat on the alter glittering in the light of the fireplace. His eyes widened as he took the jewels and gold in. piles of rubes began to appear in his head stacking up around him as he walked over and stroked the jewels. There was enough hear to set his family for life, enough to pay off the debts his father had left them, and enough to keep his family safe.

He reached for the jewels collecting them in his hand and hurriedly stuffing them into his belt.

“Got you” He whispered his entire focus on the jewels.
 
It had been a long and particularly insufferable day.
It wasn’t because of the unseasonably cool weather, or the fact that the Sultan’s advisors had once again been on her case about her recently hiring a personal tutor. No, for Sara Bint Alul this day was insufferable because she had finally learned more about her future husband.
Rahul Mahzuz, her betrothed, was unable to make their agreed upon date due to a last-minute business transactions, so instead he sent his assistant. Jacques Lefon, Rahul's own valet, had immediately handed Sara Bint Alul a gaudily painted image of her betrothed. He was a watery eyed kind of creature. His pretty coloured brown hair hang around his almost gaunt face. Indeed, she could look past these physical barriers; she was sure that she could come to appreciate them in time, especially once she saw his smile for the first time in real life. The real problem, the one that irked Sara the most, was how arrogant he was. He had sent her some missives with his image and referred to her castle and culture in that special way that westerners did; with an air of amusement and a complete and disregard for their culture. At his insistence, Sara had spent the day walking with Jacques to learn more about her soon to be husband. The uppity Frenchman was horrid; he spent the day walking in the gardens with her, ‘educating’ her on the wonders and marvels of the industrial revolution. He had taken great care to explain, as one would to a child, the way the marvellous machinery worked in his home town of Paris. Jacques had explained, of course, how most of the factories belonged to Rahul and how he was very, very rich and powerful. How he had the ear of the newly elected parliamentarians.

For most of the day, Sara thought that Jacques found her to be completely and utterly dim-witted. As they had walked through the spring garden, he had told her all of this as if she were a princess locked in a tower, with no idea of the wonder of the world around them. He hadn’t stopped to consider that Sara liked her country, that she felt the reason her own people hadn’t revolted like the French was because her father was a good, fair and kind ruler. It also seemed that her preference for the old ways of craftmanship was nothing more than an outdated, romantic notion. (“Can you imagine how cheaply and quickly rugs could be made if they were done by machine rather than by hand?!”
Dinner had continued much the same. Her father, bless him, had been very interested in what Jacques had to say, and about how Rahul could revolutionise their “quaint, antiquated city”. He had been most interested in the different type of steam powered machinery that was used in industry and its applications for civil defence. He hadn’t even minded that Sara had been squeezed into the flouncy and over-padded French gown that Jacques had brought along with several trunks of engagement gifts (“If you are going to be the wife of a French man, you may as well look the part! Rahul will be here in a few days, he would love to see you used to the fashions!” he had said with a roguish smile in that annoying lilt of his).
If the assistant was any indication of what the master would be like, then Sara wanted nothing to do with the marriage. She had always known that an arranged marriage was her future, she had never rallied against it as she knew the safety and wellbeing of her people were tantamount, but these Frenchmen- Alah! She couldn’t spend her life in the company of fools like that.
When dinner was finally over Sara couldn’t excuse herself fast enough. She had dismissed her handmaidens as she strode back to her apartments. She did not need their chatter, and she assured them she would be able to dress herself for bed that night. The long red dupioni silk gown and slippers whispered along the floor as she walked, and the corset held her up taller and straighter than she had ever been before. She longed for the freedom and comfort of her preferred pants and blouse. Even her firmly fastened overcoat seemed like nothing compared to the tightly laced corset. Sara waved to the guards as she passed, taking the curving passage that led into her apartments. They bowed to her, their guns held upright at their sides as they opened the double doors for her. She bypassed her opulently decorates sitting room, sped over the lavish carpets of her study, and walked around the rich, gold-curtained bed in her private chambers. She made straight for her walk in wardrobe. She intended to rid herself of these blasted clothes and immediately slip into something more comfortable. She was about to push the doors open when she heard something from inside. A drawer opening and closing. She froze- that room should be empty.

So Sara padded over to the mounted scimitars on her wall. A decoration, a relic of her mother’s family. She pulled one off quietly before creeping back to the wardrobe and throwing the doors open.

“Got you”

Sara gritted her teeth and pointed her wickedly curved blade at the man standing in her wardrobe, hurriedly stuffing something into his belt. He had long white robes with gold trim; a traditional outfit of her kind and in stark contrast to the red French silk she wore now. She flipped her long, raven braid over her shoulder and narrowed her hazel eyes at him.

I assume you were not talking about me Sir,” She said, perking one perfectly shaped eyebrow at him, her red lips pursed with distaste. “And I also assume you were using your belt to polish my jewels, nothing more.”
 
Last edited:
He didn’t hear her come in not until she finally spoke. When her voice reached his ear his posture went rigid and he quickly turned on his heel and began to back up. His eyes scanned the room taking it in and trying to think several steps ahead. He began to plan his escape tracking multiple routes that would bring him back to the window.

If her sword frightened him he didn’t show it. Instead his eyes assessed her taking in her outfit with a frankly critical eye. His eyes bright and intensive zeroed in on her and after a few minutes a slow smile began to creep over his face. His body relaxed and his hands went up in mock surrender as he regarded her. His mind stopped and instead of wanting to bolt he looked almost…. Amused.

“It’s a shame to see you in such an outfit princess” He said his voice a smooth rich baritone “I suppose I should congratulate you on your upcoming nuptials to the westerner but I can’t quite bring myself to. Especially in that outfit”

He moved over to the window ignoring the way her sword tracked him. He paused at the window leaning against the frame and crossing his arms.

“Why don’t you just let me go?” He asked her pulling the necklace out his hands and admiring the many jewels “I don’t suppose I can strike a deal with you? I mean you’re not hurting for money CLEARLY but the sultans money isn’t your own. A jewel like this… we could split our profits fifty fifty”
 
Sara was tempted to let him go.

Well, at least she had been until his look of panic turned into one of amusement. He found this funny, did he? He doubted her ability with a sword? To command?

"You, Sir, know nothing of the Sultan if you think that I would need to split profits with you," she said, stepping closer so that the inches he moved were now obsolete. "I don't need the money. In fact, I would probably have traded you those jewels for another treasure worth far more if you hadn't scoffed at me."
There was something in Sara's tone that would have told him that she spoke truly for that last part. Her hazel eyes pierced him with their keen gaze, and she was prepared to take him down if he tried to run before she was done with him.
 
“Oh?” Arbaaz said his eye brows shooting up at her words.

“So when I come here again I should be on the lookout for more delectable jewels huh?” He said his smile growing larger.

“You should never tell a thief you have better things to steal princess” He said launching himself off of the window and towards her. He moved quickly ducking from her sword and coming up directly in front of her. His hands reached out grasping her wrist twisting it and jerking the sword to the left. They were suddenly nose to nose their chest inches apart. His bright eyes swept over her taking her in once more before locking on her own eyes.

“Now princess do you really want to run such a loyal subject through with a sword?” He asked her cocking his head to the side “I mean it seems to me like we should be able to come to some kind of agreement if you’re that hung up on your engagement gift I’ll gladly take one of your “more valuable” jewels”
 
Sara might have lost her sword, but her wits were as smart as ever. She looked into his eyes with fire and defiance, and a smug smirk tugged at her pretty lips.

"Such a typical mindset for a thief," Sara tutted, seeming disappointed as she looked into his eyes. "You think a necklace in here will help you? Fine, take something. Sell it. See how much longer the funds last you."

Sara's face set as she snatched her wrist out of his grip and she took a step back.

"A smart man, however, would know that not all treasures are made of jewels. No, the truest treasures are those that can keep on giving. But by all means, think small. Think of trinkets and baubles..." She sighed, leaning against a nearby column and crossing her arms under her breasts.
 
Her words made him bristle. Whoever accused him of thinking small?! Here he was in the palace of the sultan! Stealing jewels no one would think to try and steal. Yet she accused him of thinking small?

“I know what you’re trying to do” He said to her his eyes narrowing “Trying to bait me misdirect me well it wont work.

His face said other wise

Said that it indeed had worked

He starred at her for several seconds before speaking again.

“Just out of pure curiosity” He finally said “What do you think you have to offer me that mere gold and jewels can’t compare to?”
 
Sara watched the play of emotions in the man's eyes; the outrage, the indignation, and then the curiosity. She looked around for a moment before reaching out and taking a pair of diamond earrings from a nearby shelf. They were large and held the light brilliantly. They were classy in a way that only the oldest of antiques were. She held them out to him before slipping her hand down his belt and retrieving the necklace with the sleight of hand of some of the best street thieves.

"Take these. Expensive, but nondescript enough to be able to sell without being traced. Then return here in three nights and you will hear what is greater than jewels and gold... That is, of course, if you are good enough to be able to sneak into my chambers twice."
 
When she brought out the earrings his eyes tracked them assessing their value. He tried to appraise them guessing their value even as she stepped over and reached for his belt….

Distracted and misjudging the princess’s skills Arbaaz watched in shock as she stole the necklace back from him and held it in her hands. A growl of discontent and anger rumbled through his chest and he took a step forward in an attempt to get it back. He paused however at her words his head cocked to the side as she told him of her “Offer”.

“You think I would be so stupid as to return?” Arbaaz asked snatching the earrings out of her hand and hurriedly stuffing them into his back pocket “I’ve no plans to be here again Princess so your trap will not work”

He moved to the window this time jumping on it. His backed turned to her he surveyed his escape route for a second before turning. Once more his eyes regarded her cutting into her very soul as he slowly reached up and flicked his beaked hood back up.

“Good bye princess”

And with that he launched himself backwards and out the window.
………………………………………………………………………………………………….
The Next Morning

Arbaaz jumped over the roofs of the market place. Down below the villagers in his village mingled and talked amongst themselves. As always the market street was clogged with people some selling and hawking their wares and many others buying said wares. The elders in the village sat in the shades of the stall gambling and smoking amongst each other.

Arbaaz ignored the action for the most part. Usually he loved the market and the varied splendors it brought. There were many times he came back from a heist and burn the adrenalin off by diving into the market for an hour. Most of the time he would stand in the center of it his senses wide open and taking in every smell, sight, and taste the stalls had to offer. Not today however….

Today was the day

He launched himself over a few more stalls and landed on the roof top of the grand bazaar. The large expansive building stood at the center of the market. Its shop owners were the in the village and the wares the hawked were one of a kind. They catered to the elite of the village, the ones that lived closer to the palace itself and the oasis. He spent a few seconds watching them move in and out of the stands his expression one of disgust.

He could see his neighborhood off in the distance. The one sitting at the edge of the harsh unforgiving dessert. His people and their hardships bubbled to the surface turning his distaste to anger. Even in the Sultans domain where fairness was preached more than anything there was still a class system. His father and the debt he incurred all but guaranteed that Arbaaz his brother sisters and mother would be cast out to the lowest rungs.

But Arbaaz was about to change all that.

He moved to the top of the Bazaar and into the gazebo that sat at the highest point of the structure. Once inside he opened the small wooden hatch and without any hesitation slipped inside.

“Arbaaz my boy come in!”

“I did it” Arbaaz said smiling as he pushed his beaked hood off. He stepped into the plush expansive room skirting over the many girls in various stages of undress serving customers. The black market was thick with customers today. He recognized most, fellow thieves like him or people coming to buy his mentors exotic illicit goods. A few of them smiled at him as he passed pointing and whispering to each other as Arbaaz moved over to his mentor’s chair in the middle of the black market.

The mentor himself sat on a simple plush chair. His long bony fingers gripped the cane he used to walk. A smile appeared over his old weathered face almost hidden in the tangled mess of his long white beard. The robes he wore hung from his frame and even in the simple chair he looked impossibly small.

“Have you now?” The mentor said chuckling softly “Well Arbaaz my boy let me see”

“I have brought these from the palace” Arbaaz said reaching into his pocket and pulling out the earings “Directly from the princess’s room!”

He held the earrings up over his head a triumphant smile on his face. He turned in a circle expecting to hear praise and cheers any second from the assembled criminals. What he did was impossible…. What he did……

Was greeted with silence.

“What is that?” The Mentor finally said his voice firm

“Earings?” Arbaaz said dropping his hand in confusion “I stole these from the princess herself!”

“You were sent to retrieve a one of a kind item” The mentor said leaning back and stroking his beard “Instead that looks like something you could steal off the streets!”

“Are you mad?!” Arbaaz shouted angrily “These are a one of a kind! They have her royal crest!”

The mentor shook his head his eyes showing his disappointment. The other criminals began to turn back to their jobs and tasks. A few shook their heads art Arbaaz only serving to further his anger as he stood before the Mentors cutting gaze.

“I’ve told you before Arbaaz” The mentor said his tone soft “Your only as good as the last thing you’ve stolen you made bold claims to us Arbaaz, claims that you would steal a one of a kind item from the sultan’s palace”

“You’ve failed”

Arbaaz anger cooled in his stomach turning from red hot to the dark black of sadness. He knew the Mentor would chastise him for feeling this way, it was he who always said he wasn’t a replacement father. He was his guide and trainer and nothing more.

Yet still his words cut through Arbaaz.

“I’ll go back” Arbaaz said squaring his shoulders “I won’t stop until I find the necklace and bring it back to you”

“This I swear”
……………………………
It was personal now

That fact drove every step he took. He moved like a beast through the palace grounds climbing ducking and moving between the patrol routes and servants as if he was nothing more than the wind. If anyone had gotten a good look at him they would have seen a young man with a fierce determination firmly set on his face.
He reached the wall leading to the princess’s tower and began his climb. His fingers dug into the handholds and loose clay and he hoisted himself up easily. He climbed the tower like a bug and within a matter of minutes reached the window leading into the princess’s dressing room. He grasped the ledge and lifted himself up sliding through easily and landing softly on the floor.

For a second he was distracted his determination broken. The princess’s words from the night before bubbled to the surface of his mind.

"Take these. Expensive, but nondescript enough to be able to sell without being traced. Then return here in three nights and you will hear what is greater than jewels and gold... That is, of course, if you are good enough to be able to sneak into my chambers twice."

He realized now that he played right into her hand. Here he was once more in her room and at her mercy. If it HAD been a trap he would need to work quickly to find the necklace and make his escape. Without a second of hesitation he went to work moving through the boxes and the various cupboards to find where she had hidden the jewel. This time he kept a look out for her his ears straining to hear the slightest hint of movement outside in the princess’s chamber.
 
Sara's eyebrow quirked up as the their asked if she thought he was that stupid. If she was honest with herself, the reason that she invited him back because the thought he was probably far smarter than most of the people in the castle. But she didn't tell him that. The real pity was that if he didn't return, he would never discover that what she had was as far from a trap as anything could be.

Instead, Sara watched as the thief vaulted down the window. She didn't need to look to know that he would probably be scrambling down the hall with incredible dexterity and daring. Sara knew well enough what the defenses in her palace home were; she knew he had to be among the best of the best to reach her suite. She waited a good few minutes before she walked over to the window and pulled the shutters closed, barring them from the inside.

~*~

The following morning Sara insisted on picking her own outfits. Her morning maidens had been frustrated that she had immediately rejected a stunning burgundy, French silk damask gown. It was another gaudy fluffy beast of a gown.

Instead she opted to wear striking teal-coloured salvar (trousers). Down at her ankles, she had flittering chains of oval citrine and diamond shaped tourmaline mounted to the finest gold. She had a plain bone coloured gomlek (chemise) that came down to her mid calf covered by a shimmering, teal-threaded gold silk entari that was buttoned with tourmaline to the waist, and open and flowing over her loose fitting salvar. Around her neck she wore the lavish, incredibly expensive necklace that had been given to her by Jacques. Well, it was actually a gift from Rahul, but apparently his business transactions were more important than meeting the woman who would marry him and give him the key to an entire kingdom.

Jacques had been most surprised to see her in her traditional outfit. A woman wearing trousers? That would never do in Paris. Well, as Sara had reminded him, her clothing was entirely appropriate in the palace, and until they were in Paris she would not forgo the comfort and freedom that her salvar provided. Unless, of course, Jacques would like to lead by example and change into one of her beautiful silk gowns. Her father had given her a stern reprimand for that comment. Well, at least it was as stern as he was capable of giving.

She was then required to spend the day once more with Jacques and her handmaidens. She'd barely had time at all to call on her most trusted handmaiden, Emine. She asked Emine to talk to the servants. To have them keep an eyes out from behind the carved shutters in her tower. Then Ermine went to unbar the window in her tower and leave it flung wide open and welcoming. She would be prepared for when the thief returned, whenever that would be.

It wasn't until Sara had taken a break for the afternoon that word came. A knock at her door. Emine let her know that someone had been spotted scaling her tower. Sara thanked her and then dismissed her. She didn't miss the look of worry on Emine's face, but she knew better than to argue with her mistress. Sara then made her way into her room, leaving her heeled slippers at the door so she could cross the floor silently. She didn't even have skirts to whisper across the smoothly polished floor. She felt at her wrists, at the blades there just in case, and tore open the door to her closets just in time to see the thief rifling through the room with no sense of care for anything other than his goal.

"Looking for this?" She asked, leaning against the doorframe and looking at him, the light streaming in from the open window. As the rays of sunset hit the red, white, and teal diamonds of her engagement necklace it sent rays of beauty refracting, dancing about the room.
 
“Of course she has it”

Arbaaz murmured the words to himself. The vein in his head throbbed threatening to unleash a headache at their current predicament. He should have known she would assume he was coming back to steal the necklace again. Yet in his haste to grab the cursed thing he had overlooked her. She was smart… smart enough to know why he would come back. He was going to have to get his head out of his arse if he was going to accomplish his mission.

“Oh that little thing?” He said his voice one of disinterest as he regarded the princess “Why ever would I be interested in that?”

His eyes flashed as he took her in. Before he could help himself a smile of pleasure crossed his face. His eyes darkened ever so slightly betraying a slight lust for her outfit and appearance.

“Much better look for you princess” He told her his hood down as he walked over to her and leaned against one of the wooden cabinets in her room.

“So you said you had some great secret to impart on me right?” He told her “I know I am two days early… but I hope your offer still stands.

He decided to keep their game going to see what she had to say. Surely it was only for the necklace? To lull her into a false sense of security around him and then lift it from her very nose! Or did it have more to do with the captivating beautiful princess? That one that so far had impressed him with her words and stunning looks?
 
When the their pulled back his beaked hood Sara could see his face better. By Alah he was handsome. He had striking hade green eyes and a game as sharp as his tongue. She saw his jade eyes flick to the necklace that sat over her bosom and she shifted, letting it catch the light some more.

"My offer does still stand, come with me," she said, turning and leading the way back into her opulently decorated suite. The room next to her closet was her bedroom, so she led him right past that, last the gold leafed four poster bed with shimmering diaphanous curtains, oiled with silks and furs. She led him into her parlour, where there were come comfortable looking chaise lounge. She sat gestured for him to sit down on one as she made her way over to a sideboard and poured two goblets of the finest wine in this region. When she was dine she handed him one and sank down gracefully in the chaise opposite of him, a small, low table in the space between them

"Now," the princess said, "I don't suppose you will tell me how you got in here? Not scaling my tower, that much was obvious. But... How did you get to the tower? You are the first person to ever accomplish that great task."
 
Last edited:
When she shifted her bossom Arbaaz caught more than just the necklace. The swell of her chest accented by the low cut of her outfit was enough to make the man’s groin tighten. His tongue flicked out over his bottom lip wetting it. Without thinking he followed her his eyes running up and down her frame as he suddenly found himself forgetting why he was here…..

“Focus” He murmured to himself as they moved through her bedroom and into what looked like a parlor. Now wasn’t the time to be distracted by a pretty girl!
Even if she was stunning.

She spoke about getting comfortable jerking Arbaaz out of his perverted thoughts. He shook his head and dispelled the thoughts of her body to focus on the task at hand. He opted not to sit down instead hovering by the chair and watching as she poured two glasses of wine for them. His eyes scoured the room taking in every last opulent detail. There was so much to see….

So much to steal.

She sat down with her own drink and he couldn’t help but laugh at the situation. Here they were sharing wine with each other?! As if they were equals!

“It’s really not that hard” He told her unable to help himself from bragging.

“The guards follow the same pattern and the oasis offers plenty of cover” He explained taking a sip of the wine “I simply used the trees to me advantage scaling and using them as platforms to reach the wall”

“Why?” He asked suddenly curious “You’re not planning on making a grand escape Princess? I don’t think your new husband would be to pleased…..”
 
Sara's keen eyes watched as the thief accepted her wine, still standing. At the very least he decided to have a sip from it. She could see a level of pride in him about his abilities, and she wondered if that had ever, or would ever, land him in hot water. But, before she asked, she wanted to dispel his idea that she wanted to escape.

"A grand escape?" She asked with a little laugh. "No, I don't intend to make an escape of any kind. This is my home, and I would not leave it willingly." She gestured once more for him to sit down and then took another sip of her own wine. "Growing up I had always accepted that I would have an arranged marriage. Love, as they say, is for commoners. As much as I envy the concept this is my life, my responsibility, and if marrying someone that is not of my choosing means bettering the lives of my people... Well, then I'll do it gladly."

She took a breath and looked past him, at the portrait of her mother and father that hung on the wall by the window. Theirs had been an arranged marriage that solidified the trade routes between two previously warring nations, and it had brought her people great prosperity. Her parents, it seemed, were also lucky enough to fall in love before her mother died giving birth to her. A lofty goal, to fall in love with someone you are forced to marry, but one she held to nevertheless.

"Now, on the other hand, being forced to someone that I do not think will benefit my people? That's another matter entirely," Sara said slowly, looking at the thief under thick, heavy lashes. This was a dangerous way to talk, and she needed him to know that. "That, sir, is why I asked you to return. I am not foolish enough to assume that it was my word- alone or at all- that had you scale that tower again... But you have something that I am interested in, and I can offer you a world of treasures that would mean you grant you the means to life in almost any fashion you choose."

After she spoke Sara drained the rest of her goblet and placed it on the table between them. She sat back on her chaise, her legs sliding against the velvet fabric as she looked at him. She wondered what he would think of that, whether her words would be enough to light fire to his curiosity.
 
Her words struck something in Arbaaz. For the first time since meeting her he got the sense that the princess was much cleverer than she seemed. He also realized he was here for a reason, a reason that had nothing to do with his own.

“Well played” He thought to himself as the princess waited for him to react. So she had a job for him? A job meant that he could barter for the necklace…. A job meant he could prove useful to the princess in future endeavors.

“I see” He finally said crossing the chair and plopping himself down on it. He regarded her with renewed interest and without taking another sip put the goblet of wine down.

“I have something you need eh?” He said a rougish smirk crossing over his features as he crossed his arms “What could that be princess? I’m afraid I have already given away the earrings so I hope you’re not asking for them back! Or does your request have something to do with your husband to be? Something you need to thief from him perhaps? Don’t keep me in suspense!”
 
Sara watched with interest as the thief processed her words. She sat back in her chair and regarded him, her eyes sweeping over the cut and cloth of his robes, the shape of his face, the gleam of adventure and mischief in his eyes... Yes, he would do quite nicely.

"Tell me Sir, have you ever stolen information before? Can you read? Or, at the least, can you copy down symbols?" Sara asked.
 
“Can I?” He said his eyes growing wide with disbelief at her question. His mouth slacked open ever so slightly his jaw flexing as a bolt of anger and indignation came through on his eyes.

“Of course, I can read!” He hissed dropping his voice “The villages may be poor but I can assure you princess under your father’s leadership most of us have a basic education!”

He winces realizing his outburst might have been a bit to raw. In hindsight the princess HAD asked a valid question. A question he didn’t like but a valid one nevertheless. He sighed taking a breath and reaching for his wine.

“Yes I can read, quite well even” He told her bringing the wine to his lips and taking a slow sip “Why? Do you have something you wish for me to read that you cant?”
 
Sara raised an eyebrow at the thief's outburst. Either he was particularly stressed at the moment and reacting defensively, or he genuinely found her question insulting. Either way he would need to learn to control his temper if he could do the task he had set aside for her.

"No, sir," Sara said, unable to stop a smirk as he asked if she had something she needed him to read that she couldn't, "I am fluent, verbal and written, in six different languages. I can guarantee that my reading is not the issue."

Sara got up from her chaise, walking over to the sideboard and grabbing the pitcher of wine. She brought it back to the table, topped up the man's goblet, and then refilled her own before sitting down.

"No, you'll find I need you for more than just reading. It's just that not being able to read would be a disadvantage. You see, my father is entirely too trusting. I trust this won't come as a surprise, even the Western folk know this. Me, on the other hand... well, I'm a bit more practical. I am not one to automatically take everyone at their word."

"So, in short, what I am looking for is someone who can gather information from all sorts of... places. Information that can help me ensure that this kingdom does not get led astray. You... Well, you managed to sneak into this tower- twice- without being seen by the guards. And, as you said, you can read. My only issue is that I don't know how to ensure your loyalty. I was hoping that regular, generous payments may be good enough," Sara said, her fingers brushing over the shiny jewels at her neck as she spoke.
 
“Ah” He said a knowing smirk crossing over his face as he regarded her.

“I assumed it was something of the sort” Arbaaz remarked watching as she stroked the jewels. Was she specifically toying with him? Drawing his eye with the very thing he wanted as she spoke about payment.

“I tend to prefer short and to the point princess” Arbaaz said averting his eyes from the jewels and clearing his throat “So I propose a trade”

He rose coming over to her he leaned down at her eye level. He reached out stopping her hand as mid stroke. His hands pressed firmly on her hand gentle but with a touch that spoke of strength. He touched the jewels softly looking into her eyes.

“I made certain…. Promises that I would come home with these jewels” He told her his tone soft “My reputation as a thief depends on those jewels now so if you wish to ensure that I get your job done the simplest way to do so is to promise me the jewels as payment. If you do I promise you I will get what you need done”
 
When the thief rose from his seat and made towards her, Sara felt her heart rate quicken. No one would be able to tell just from looking at her though, she was well versed in the art of maintaining a neutral facade. Then he reached out and placed his warm, rough hand over her own, stoping her as she ran her fingers over the jewels. She looked up at him. He was so wonderfully refreshing. Unlike the people in this palace who always treated her with deference and respect at polite arm-distance, he was being honest, getting frustrated... touching her. Now that anger was gone, that frustration. His voice was beautiful when it was soft, and his hand on hers... well, for all the ways that she was wise and worldly, there were still some where she was deceptively innocent.

Sara blinked, taking in a deep breath and noticing the musky, masculine scent of him. She shook her head slowly, letting out a light sigh. So, he was still going to fixate on the jewels.

She reached up, gently taking his hand from hers as she got to her feet.

"If I were to let you take these now then I would have a genuine problem. They would show that the security of this palace is fallible, particularly that my tower is unsafe, and then measures would undoubtedly be taken to remedy that. It would make you sneaking in here for any future meetings near impossible.The second is that, being an engagement gift from Rahul, the loss of this and only this would put the marriage itself at risk. If I am so careless with his gifts, how can I be trusted to be respectful of his fortune? That, at this point in time, is something I can't afford."

As Sara spoke her face was improperly close to his, her sweet wine-scented words brushing over his cheeks. After a moment of pure indulgence, she stepped back.

"What I can promise is that, if the information we find proves that the arrangement is not suitable for the people of this land... then I will give it to you with no hesitation. Until that point, I can offer you a pension equal to that of my father's top advisors."

Most people in the kingdom knew how well the sultan paid his best and brightest. That pension alone would be enough for the thief to buy grand jewels of his own if he stayed in her employ for long enough.
 
“You’ve yet to tell me WHAT information I’m going to be looking for” Arbaaz said shaking his head as he stepped back.

He was… not disappointed but resolved. They had a deal of sorts in place now. As long as he played his part the princess would owe him the very necklace he staked his reputation on. She was even offering him a salary!

“Why don’t you tell me what exactly you want me to do” Arbaaz said “In this time we have talked you have offered me much in terms of rewards its clear you want someone on your payroll that is outside of your father and future husband which I can understand however you’ve yet to say what you want me to do beside reading documents you cannot get to. I am sure it has something to do with your future husband but…. I’m not much use to you if I don’t know what I am looking for”

He turned his body with her as she moved keeping her in view and tracking her. Here he was being offered the opportunity of a life time! Yet he found himself inexplicably drawn to her. There was just… something about her! Something that spoke to a sure calm tactical mind. She was clearly less than impressed with her husband to be. If that was the case surely her father could break the engagement. Of course she wasn’t sure so perhaps the proof he got would be used to plead the case.
 
Sara took the thief's words as confirmation that he was interested. He still seemed a little wary, but that was to be expected considering the few details she had shared. She walked over to a table at the far end of the room and retrieved a parchment scroll. She walked back over and held it out to him.

"This is a forged reference from the Sultan of Iza's Palace," she said,mentioning a kingdom that was a few border lines away. "If you take this to the Head of Household downstairs they will give you a position that will provide you with access to Jacque's room. He is Rahul's valet. It also means that when Rahul arrives you will be promoted to one of his attendants. What I need you to look for is any evidence that he has been colluding with the Khal of the Desert Tribe. Or any investors seeking the oil beneath our Kingdom," Sara hesitated for a moment before adding, "Or any other real evidence that he presents a true threat to our peoples. I don't need to ask to know that you are wise enough to be able to discern what constitutes such a threat."
 
He didnt say anything instead opting to take the forged scroll and weight it in his hands. His mind ran over the details of the assignment and what she was asking him to do. The fact that she was concerned about her husband spoke volumes about the state of the union. It was of course the talk of the relatively small village and nation and the running idea was that the princess wasnt exactly pleased.

Yet here was the ultimate proof.

And now it was up to him to find out if the westerner was what he seemed. It would require more than his thieving skills to he would have to act and pretend to be something he wasn't. It didnt help that the idea in and of itself caused something to recoil inside of him. The idea of being a attendant IE servant to a westerner was frankly appalling.

Then again....

Who said this would be easy?

He sighed and finally nodded taking the scroll and tucking it into his belt. He looked at his outfit chuckling a bit at the idea of simply "going downstairs".

"I dont suppose I could just break into the room and steal documents and be done with it?" He asked her a wiry smirk crossing his face "If I go downstairs and start presenting documents in this outfit I may be thrown in the palace dungeon! You do have a dungeon dont you?"
 
Sara returned the thief's smirk at his comments and shrugged.

"You can do it that way if you really like, but I would think finding an easy position in the staff that you can jump in and out of may be more beneficial in the long run... if you remain in my employ," Sara said. She didn't bother to specify whether him remaining would be because she trusted him or he decided to, but she realised that either way would work. She then stepped back and led him back into her bedroom. There was a trunk by the far window that she went to. When she opened it it was full of servant's uniforms of varying stations. She rifled through it and found one that would suit and gave it straight to the thief. He may wonder at why she had both male and female uniforms in her room, but she didn't automatically offer an explanation.

"Those should get you into most places in this palace," she explained before stepping back. "And, one last thing-" She said, looking at him with a smile. Her eyes were bright with the excitement of the deal they had made, and the clear appreciation for the information he may be able to find. "What may I call you?"
 
He sighed and shrugged reaching out to the outfits and running his hand over the gaudy and opulent fabrics. He grimaced at the thought of wearing such an outfit even as his mind accepted her words as fact.

“I suppose you are right” Arbaaz said taking one of the more… subdued outfits and walking over to one of the dividers set up in the room.

“No time like the present” He told her shrugging off his cloak and revealing his tan muscular shoulders. His skin was dark almost black and his powerful muscles tightened as he ducked behind the divider.

“Names are a powerful thing princess” Arbaaz remarked as he took off his clothes “You can call me Baaz if you wish if everything goes okay I may give you more”
He finished the outfit and stepped out picking at the simple white and gold shirt and long linen pants. His hands twitched and it took everything in him not to reach out and grab his cloak. He shifted uncomfortably for a few minutes before he finally sighed and relaxed his posture.

“How will you and I meet?” He asked her taking her in “during the day? Shall I continue to come in through your window?” He asked smirking softly at the innuendo.
 
Back
Top