Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are a couple of nice slices left
and
good strong coffee?

i'll clean the place first too...

You're a gem. The coffee pushed me over the edge. My french press broke in the move and I haven't replaced it yet. I've had swill since.

All I have to offer in thanks is salt water taffy.

No! Super easy. I can make them and I'm not exactly chef material. The trick is to not overstir the batter. Gently mix the ingredients till they're blended, then let the batter sit at room temp for 30 min. Then, ladle a spoonful-ish of batter - less than you think (check your waffle manual for more exact amount, or just experiment till you find out what works) - onto the waffle iron and close if quickly. That's all! May take a few waffles till you get the batter amount & cook time all down, but that's fine 'cause your mistakes are edible. :D

The recipe link above here somewhere from Food Republic makes a good waffle. You can also use prepared mix, but the recipe is so easy that you might as well make up from scratch if you have the ingredients on hand.

I have the ingredients - I make my kids pancakes from scratch all the time.

I guess I'm just not a waffle person, as I've never ordered them for myself before either. I should give it a go. :)

This.

I do not even wait for them to ripen. Pull it off the plant (green, if necessary), chop it up, toss it in with some scrambled eggs.

I am a simple man. The shallots and julienned carrots might not make it into the skillet.

it is pepper season...
well actually, post pepper season here.

a buddy is into hot and has "dumped" a few (that he grows) on me lately...
i seem to have good culinary friends.

still trying to find the perfect fit (other than making pickled sauces)
for scorpions, ghosts, and orange trinis...

i've a handfull of each
and the hiccups to remember each by...

I guess I'm just not a waffle person, as I've never ordered them for myself before either. I should give it a go. :)

Yeah, it's just like pancakes, really, only a little more oil in the batter.

I prefer pancakes too, but Manu loves waffles. He's deep in the midst of a project while I just finished something I'd been working on, so I thought I'd cheer him up with a treat.

Speaking of pancakes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWUUcW08ac

it is pepper season...
well actually, post pepper season here.

a buddy is into hot and has "dumped" a few (that he grows) on me lately...
i seem to have good culinary friends.

still trying to find the perfect fit (other than making pickled sauces)
for scorpions, ghosts, and orange trinis...

i've a handfull of each
and the hiccups to remember each by...

This is the first year I have grown my own. The plants are huge! I am still not sure how to store and use it all. It is Hatch season in Denver and I always get a roasted bushel to make green chile. I grew all of these to add some heat. The rest will get minced up and stored in the freezer.

You're a gem. The coffee pushed me over the edge. My french press broke in the move and I haven't replaced it yet. I've had swill since.

All I have to offer in thanks is salt water taffy.

salt water taffy is a big yes!
come on!

my french press has a crack running down the side
that, though it beckons for attention soon,
still holds
as a stainless strap at the middle and bottom attach the handle
and hold the wrecked works together...

made a pot this morning,
though i normally have cold drip during the week.

as to waffles,
they are simple... if you're patient
(laurel has it right)
and they are pretty versatile.

not a calorie or carb in 'em
for how disgustingly delicious they can be...

Am I the only person turned on by Laurel describing how to make waffles? :D

I prefer pancakes too, but Manu loves waffles. He's deep in the midst of a project while I just finished something I'd been working on, so I thought I'd cheer him up with a treat.

Speaking of pancakes:
Fucksicles, I laughed so hard.

1. I LOVE THAT GUY.
2. I WANT TO EAT HIS PANCAKES
3. BOOGER PANCAKES?!

That is all.

This is the first year I have grown my own. The plants are huge! I am still not sure how to store and use it all. It is Hatch season in Denver and I always get a roasted bushel to make green chile. I grew all of these to add some heat. The rest will get minced up and stored in the freezer.

roasting them for green chile is perfect.
hatches are also great stuffed
and baked as is.

we get more poblanos here... and i treat them just about the same...

home made salsas too...
good for that
and that keeps for ever!

stay away from these though, pete

https://encrypted-tbn1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQ-vYZF7QuM5-rClLM1Q1IaY-JEEQwVwLFpaEZAtNzqneP_HNaQ

the appropriately named - peter pepper

Speaking of pancakes:

I worked in a restaurant when I was 16 and they'd serve up bacon waffles that I've been making as an adult ever since. Fry the bacon first then tear into pieces and add into your waffle recipe. The perfect mixture of savory and sweet combo.

roasting them for green chile is perfect.
hatches are also great stuffed
and baked as is.

we get more poblanos here... and i treat them just about the same...

home made salsas too...
good for that
and that keeps for ever!

stay away from these though, pete

https://encrypted-tbn1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQ-vYZF7QuM5-rClLM1Q1IaY-JEEQwVwLFpaEZAtNzqneP_HNaQ

the appropriately named - peter pepper

My salsas never keep forever. They get eaten!

Funny picture.

Speaking of pancakes:

"I like my shitz sugary". heh.

You're pretty sweet, I hope when he's wrapped it up he treats you.

salt water taffy is a big yes!
come on!

my french press has a crack running down the side
that, though it beckons for attention soon,
still holds
as a stainless strap at the middle and bottom attach the handle
and hold the wrecked works together...

made a pot this morning,
though i normally have cold drip during the week.

as to waffles,
they are simple... if you're patient
(laurel has it right)
and they are pretty versatile.

not a calorie or carb in 'em
for how disgustingly delicious they can be...

I'm the sort that would buy you the new press you require, as thanks, and forget to buy myself one.

Waffles sound like a weekend thing, but I don't have kids on the weekend and I can't see making them for myself.

It'll have to wait. Or...maybe breakfast for dinner tomorrow instead of Thai.

I made the caramel syrup for the cake.
Goat milk, and goat milk crème fraîche did
what they were supposed to do.

I thought that I was so smart.
No corn syrup. Uh-uh No way.
Read the ingredients label!
Fish derived gelatin. Aiee!
Organic, yes. Fish is an animal,
of sorts. Has eyes. Has mouth.
Fish face.

Tsubugai-Kushiyaki.jpg

Tsubugai kushiyaki (skewered roasted whelk)

Improvise at a BBQ ?

Bun, spicy hot red sauce, cheese, green beans, avocado, veggie burger.

(It probably has a much more seductive taste, if it was served with beef.)

*tip of the hat to Chacarero of Boston, by way of Chile

Fucksicles, I laughed so hard.

1. I LOVE THAT GUY.
2. I WANT TO EAT HIS PANCAKES
3. BOOGER PANCAKES?!

That is all.

He's hilarious. I love the bit where he fucks up the butter and has to do it again. :D

"I like my shitz sugary". heh.

You're pretty sweet, I hope when he's wrapped it up he treats you.

He's the bombdiggity. Treats me like a princess even when I don't deserve it. I don't know how I got so lucky. Waffles is the least I can do. :D

He's the bombdiggity. Treats me like a princess even when I don't deserve it. I don't know how I got so lucky. Waffles is the least I can do. :D

Oddly enough, I love hearing about the happiness of couples these days.

Thanks. That made me smile.

6123747895_0586fbae6b.jpg

image courtesy Sho Hashimoto (Flickr)

If you're into the Japanesey food, here's an interesting watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6shNWvQF2c

Buri daikon is a traditional Japanese winter dish of simmered buri (aka yellowtail fish) and daikon (the huge white radish used in lots of Asian dishes). Simmering the fish and rounds of daikon in the sake/mirin/shoyu mix gives it a wonderful subtle flavor. The daikon gets all mild and crunch-juicy.

The woman in the video does it all precisely. If you want to make buri daikon but are intimidated by all the steps in the video, this is a simpler but IMO just as yummy recipe:
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/seafoodfish/r/buridaikon.htm

Can them.

The frozen bits thaw to mush...

Crab Shack soft opens this weekend on St. Mark's Place

unnamed-4.jpg

As we first noted back in April, a new restaurant called Crab Shack was taking over the former Japadog space at 30 St. Mark's Place.

And the Red & Gold Crab Shack had its soft opening on Friday… there's a limited menu for now… (beer and wine is TK)

unnamed-3.jpg

The comments:

Giovanni said...

So for 35 bucks I get a hot piece of seafood dripping in butter and stuffed into a plastic bag which I have to eat with my bare hands? Finally, an authentic Crusty dining experience on St. Mark's Place at a price most can't afford.

August 31, 2014 at 11:02 AM

THE NOTORIOUS L.I.B.E.R.A.T.I.O.N. said...

$40 to eat chum from a bag with your hand? This is a joke, right?

August 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Anonymous said...

Isn't there someone selling crabs on the street that we can go to instead?

August 31, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Anonymous said...

The menu sounds hideous and the prices seem atrocious. Who in the fuck wants to spend $40 for seafood in a plastic bag, only to get your hands dirty? Sounds to me this venue has exorbitant rent to pay. I'll pass on this joke.

August 31, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Anonymous said...

I don't eat seafood -- is that the price for ONE crab? It better be one of those giant crabs you see sometimes at the beach that all the little kids poke at, then scream and run away.

Also, the unnecessary quotes around Soft Opening Menu (and the fact that the open quote and S seem to be inexplicably in bold) are making my eyes twitch.

Crab Shack! exclamation!!!1!

August 31, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Anonymous said...

$45 to eat out of a plastic bag with an included spittoon for scraps, in a place that looks like a fast food joint, located amidst the noisy and annoying clutter of St Marks? Ridiculous.... I hate to see new small businesses fail, but they either change their strategy or they will be out of business before Christmas.

August 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea for a restaurant — at a beach!

This concept doesn't seem right at all for this part of St. Mark's Place.

August 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Gojira said...

I read the menu prices. My jaw dropped. My wallet shrieked in anguish. 'nough said.

Next!

August 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Anonymous said...

Bros can't afford $35-45 for dinner if you can call this shit dinner.

Include corn or potatoes as an optional add-on for the $35-45 you're charging, assholes.

$35 sir...oh and another $1 for corn SMH.

This place won't last a year.

August 31, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Another soft open! My wallet just hard closed.

August 31, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought nothing could be more rediculous than an all biscuit restaurant, along comes Captain Crab. I wish these people would glom on to another neighborhood with their limited and expensive foodie concepts and leave us the fuck alone.

September 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Anonymous said...

LOL, I can't wait to see the foodies lining up to suck on $40 bottom feeders out of a plastic bag. Are we sure this is not a set restaurant for the New York version of "Portlandia"?

September 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Trixie said...

I don't mind eating with my fingers when it makes sense, but at those prices, not gonna happen.

September 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM

smdh.gif

He's hilarious. I love the bit where he fucks up the butter and has to do it again. :D
I HATE when that happens!

I had to throw away an entire coffee cake a couple weeks ago because it just had the bad baking juju and tasted like ass.
Watching him burn the butter made me adore him all the more.

I HATE when that happens!

I had to throw away an entire coffee cake a couple weeks ago because it just had the bad baking juju and tasted like ass.
Watching him burn the butter made me adore him all the more.

JuJu lol, I don't think I've herd anyone besides me say that in a while.

Bad JuJu

Last edited:
Tripe and onions in white sauce - on hot buttered toast.

oh,,and I want to mention, the satay sauce I made a week ago, I used tonight in a beef marinade for beef chow mein - made it so much tastier.

tumblr_n86o66Ucr61rjpm4uo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n86o66Ucr61rjpm4uo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n86o66Ucr61rjpm4uo3_1280.jpg

IMPORTANT! Please soak your husks of corn in cold water for 10 minutes before grilling so they don’t catch on fire/burn.

Also remember to salt & pepper almost everything on here.

Last edited:
JuJu lol, I don't think I've herd anyone besides me say that in a while.

Bad JuJu
Sometimes it's the best way to describe. :)

Zumi, we've done that corn grilling thing all summer and it makes the corn taste luscious! I'm a fan of corn already, it doesn't have to work too hard to make me happy, but doing it on the grill like that is magic! I don't even put anything on it. Just straight-up deliciousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back