The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Winter Holidays Contest Support Thread

I have one close to completion but I don't like the ending. We'll see what happens.

I would love it if everything I wrote would stop coming out like a big pile of suck.

I'm off the forums for two weeks and nobody notices except Roz. Sheesh. Anyway, I have a half-dozen or more Winter tales planned and underway. One is done, GIFT BOX, heavily based on a Story Idea from ender27 who will also get credit for at least one more storyline. And I'll enter some standalone A TASTE OF INCEST episodes.

Which leads to a question: I know series stories aren't eligible, but how about related stories? I've plotted twinned stories that will be alike except for gender changes, with one a mother-son version, the other a father-daughter version. They'll be A TASTE OF TURKEY: MOM and A TASTE OF TURKEY: DAD and neither depends on the other. Will these be allowable entries? I sure hope so. BTW neither will be great literature.

I've another question: What makes a snuff story? A possible XMas tragedy has the 1st-person present-tense narrator describing an intimate lovemaking scene just as a crash crushes the lovers mid-stroke. If they die from an Act Of God, is it snuff?

I'm off the forums for two weeks and nobody notices except Roz. Sheesh. Anyway, I have a half-dozen or more Winter tales planned and underway. One is done, GIFT BOX, heavily based on a Story Idea from ender27 who will also get credit for at least one more storyline. And I'll enter some standalone A TASTE OF INCEST episodes.

Which leads to a question: I know series stories aren't eligible, but how about related stories? I've plotted twinned stories that will be alike except for gender changes, with one a mother-son version, the other a father-daughter version. They'll be A TASTE OF TURKEY: MOM and A TASTE OF TURKEY: DAD and neither depends on the other. Will these be allowable entries? I sure hope so. BTW neither will be great literature.

I've another question: What makes a snuff story? A possible XMas tragedy has the 1st-person present-tense narrator describing an intimate lovemaking scene just as a crash crushes the lovers mid-stroke. If they die from an Act Of God, is it snuff?

I believe related stories are allowed. Having said that, some people have differing views on whether or not they have some form of advantage as they already have a following of sorts.

Snuff....snuff has nothing to do with death, you can kill people all day long here. But they cannot die during sex and the killer cannot gain sexual pleasure during the killing, that is snuff.

I think if they die in your example that will be okay, an accident cannot gain sexual pleasure.

I posted four related stories separately to a winter contest a few years ago, but that may have been before the chapter issue was raised. They aren't listed as chapters at Lit., however. Don't know if that still would be permitted. (It was then.)

You might PM Laurel and then let us all know what she says (if she answers). I think it's an interesting exercise (writing related stories--well wondering if Laurel will answer a PM, too, I guess).

Laurel told me during the summer contest that the stand-alone story rule was put into effect because authors were dividing contest stories into short chapters and flooding the contest page. As long as the story is a comete, stand-alone story, it's fair game. (Even if the author links to another story in case the reader wants to read it first.)

I'm not saying that I think this is a good idea. I asked Laurel, and this was her answer.

Laurel told me during the summer contest that the stand-alone story rule was put into effect because authors were dividing contest stories into short chapters and flooding the contest page. As long as the story is a comete, stand-alone story, it's fair game. (Even if the author links to another story in case the reader wants to read it first.)

I'm not saying that I think this is a good idea. I asked Laurel, and this was her answer.

My opinion, and I stress mine, is its unfair. If I were for example to bring back Mark and Megan from my SWB series in a stand alone story and mentioned it on my home page my totals would be greatly inflated by the people who have haunted me for three years to bring them back.

But that's my thoughts. I'm a competitive person and my idea is in a contest you should take your best shot and its a shortcut to work with something associated with other material

But I speak for me every one is different.

My opinion, and I stress mine, is its unfair. If I were for example to bring back Mark and Megan from my SWB series in a stand alone story and mentioned it on my home page my totals would be greatly inflated by the people who have haunted me for three years to bring them back.

But that's my thoughts. I'm a competitive person and my idea is in a contest you should take your best shot and its a shortcut to work with something associated with other material

But I speak for me every one is different.

I agree. It's hard to compete with that. (And I'm not a competitive person.)

ETA: My phone's autocorrect sucks.

Last edited:
So, how do folks feel about short stories competing against novels in the contest?

I have absolutely no problem with that. A novel "won" the last one, but a 4 pager came in next. The only thing that bothers me is pitting categories against each other. Vote tallies and audience are so vastly different. For some genres, it's probably better to post on the second to last day to get a lower vote count. Personally I would love to see contests in each separate genre. Best Incest story of the year? That's a contest I would like to see. Not to mention Male Audio. Imagine how they'd try to outdo each other!

So, how do folks feel about short stories competing against novels in the contest?

A quick note that I got an answer from Laurel about eligibility.

The beginning of the six months is the month in which you are announced the winner.

In order for a story from a previous winner to be eligible, the contest must start more than six months later. It's whole months, and the month in which you win counts as one. So, if you win in July, you're not eligible for any contest beginning in August, September, October, November, or December.

Using this year's dates:

Valentine's Win: Not eligible for Earth Day or Nude Day.
Earth Day Win: Not eligible for Nude Day or Summer Lovin'.
Nude Day Win: Not eligible for Summer Lovin', Halloween, or Winter Holiday.
Summer Lovin' Win: Not eligible for Halloween, Winter Holiday, or Valentine's
Halloween Win: Not eligible for Winter Holiday, Valentine's, or Earth Day.
Winter Holiday win: Not eligible for Valentine's or Earth Day.

I should have asked long ago, considering people have brought it to me three times and I couldn't give them a definitive answer.

Now we all know. ( and I need to remember to bookmark this so I can copy/paste it the next time the question arises. )

Now, I'm going to go back to riding the high of one that didn't even make the contest LOL It's over 800 votes with a better than 2% vote to view ratio, approaching 40 favs, lots of comments and emails, pushed me over the border into the top 200 favorite authors, is #7 on the weekly download list on another site, has a glowing review there, and doing well on a third site.

Wish I'd made the contest, because it probably would have broken 1k votes, but I'll live with it :p

I should have asked long ago, considering people have brought it to me three times and I couldn't give them a definitive answer.

Now we all know. ( and I need to remember to bookmark this so I can copy/paste it the next time the question arises. )

Yes, thanks for asking and posting. I copied the info out for myself so someone else can answer if you're not around. :)

The beginning of the six months is the month in which you are announced the winner.

In order for a story from a previous winner to be eligible, the contest must start more than six months later. It's whole months, and the month in which you win counts as one. So, if you win in July, you're not eligible for any contest beginning in August, September, October, November, or December.

Using this year's dates:

Unfortunate. It should be a consistent number of contests. I would think it's fair to not be eligible to win the next three. I think many have assumed that was the case anyway.

The odds of placing more than once a year are piss-poor anyway. Scraping from memory, I can't think of more than couple of people who have, and I'm not even so sure about those. They were in close proximity, but it may have been more than a year apart.

Using this year's dates:

Is this the same for Monthlies?

Suppose I win (Impossible situation, I know) October 2013 monthly and Laurel announces me as the winner in January 2015 (Possible) so I can't win any monthlies until July 2015? :eek:

Suppose I win (Impossible situation, I know) October 2013 monthly and Laurel announces me as the winner in January 2015 (Possible) so I can't win any monthlies until July 2015? :eek:

LOL I'm pretty sure the monthly awards are still based upon the timetable of the 15th of the month following publication.

So if you post a story in October, you can register a win in November, and can't place again in the monthly contests until May, regardless of announcement date.

Unfortunate. It should be a consistent number of contests. I would think it's fair to not be eligible to win the next three. I think many have assumed that was the case anyway.

We've never had three special contests in a 6-month period as far as I know, and AFAIK we've never had an issue where someone was precluded from winning in such a scenario.

We could restate the rule so you're excluded from winning two consecutive special contests in a row (which is its intention). Would that clarify things?

Monthlies are processed in chronological order, so that would never happen. If you won October 2013, you would be eligible in January 2015 (assuming you hadn't won again in the meantime).

Monthlies are processed in chronological order, so that would never happen. If you won October 2013, you would be eligible in January 2015 (assuming you hadn't won again in the meantime).

ETA: All clear.

Last edited:
Back