Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

Glad to read PuckIt's response, Rutger. :) I find I agree. As long as the ending to your submission isn't an obvious "Chapter 1"/cliffhanger/sequel-begger without resolution, I wouldn't see any issue with a story for this event perhaps having a continuation later down the line after the event was complete and done.

I was pondering something similar for the Mystery Tour story I've submitted. As written, it has an ending. It comes full circle and provides resolution. I don't have to continue it.

But I could, should I have the time. Because my goddamn brain always works that way. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm in. My latest story is finished and submitted, my side project is in someone else's hands for now, and I think I can commit to the deadline. Best of all, I have an idea in my backlog (thanks Chloe) that will work nicely. It should have sort of an Andy Weir kind of vibe to it.

I've avoided subscribing to this thread because I didn't want it distracting me from my WIP. Now that it's out if the way, I just got caught up and I loved every post from D&D to Heinlein to space cowboys to tentacles to the dork/geek/nerd debate.

I'm excited to be a part of this.

I was pondering something similar for the Mystery Tour story I've submitted. As written, it has an ending. It comes full circle and provides resolution. I don't have to continue it.

Yes, I've got several story clusters where I run a common theme and/or common characters, but where each part is stand-alone, and internally resolved. Gives me the choice of returning whenever I want, but with no obligation.

I'm doing another Song of Seduction for this anthology - and it's on a roll. It's intriguing the hell out of me so far - where on Earth (off Earth, actually) did that idea come from?

This writing two things in parallel also tells me my mind is subconsciously mulling over where the next section of my main WIP is going, so that's always good.

I've avoided subscribing to this thread because I didn't want it distracting me from my WIP. Now that it's out if the way, I just got caught up and I loved every post from D&D to Heinlein to space cowboys to tentacles to the dork/geek/nerd debate.

I'm excited to be a part of this.
Yay! :) Welcome! This is shaping up to be a great event!

And to hear you appreciate the most concentrated Geek banter I've seen on this forum in a while just proves your blood is as green as ours. :D

I'm doing another Song of Seduction for this anthology - and it's on a roll. It's intriguing the hell out of me so far - where on Earth (off Earth, actually) did that idea come from?

This writing two things in parallel also tells me my mind is subconsciously mulling over where the next section of my main WIP is going, so that's always good.
I get that subconscious mulling. It's odd that, sometimes, by the time I'm finished writing a piece, I realize two or three other related ones are better-developed than they were when I started, and I didn't necessarily spend much time thinking about them or take one single note. I pretty much have to leave the mysteries of the brain to itself and just embrace it.

BUT! Pray Tell, you say "another" Song of Seduction is on a roll for this. That's great! But, uh, I haven't read your work yet and there's nothing obvious on your submissions page about that particular title. Care to explain just a little more?

Silly Question

As a proud owner of several d20's and a couple of d30's (if you play dcc you know what I mean), I'm excited to fly my geek flag on Lit. I was wondering what other people think about what 'themes' are most appropriate for this contest.
I haven't read many fantasy or sci-fi stories on this site, but from what I've seen, most stories seem to be either 'high fantasy', a la Tolkien, creature fantasy, like werewolf/vampire or 'space sci-fi', a la Bradbury.
But what about magical realism (not strictly speaking 100 Years style, but J Strange and M Norrell or Night Circus, where there are magical people in an ordinary world), cyberpunk, steampunk, urban fantasy like Neil Gaiman or horror/psychological fantasy like Lovecraft? Would these themes still be appropriate to the category?

Last edited:
As a proud owner of several d20's and a couple of d30's (if you play dcc you know what I mean), I'm excited to fly my geek flag on Lit. I was wondering what other people think about what 'themes' are most appropriate for this contest.
I haven't read many fantasy or sci-fi stories on this site, but from what I've seen, most stories seem to be either 'high fantasy', a la Tolkien, creature fantasy, like werewolf/vampire or 'space sci-fi', a la Bradbury.
But what about magical realism (not strictly speaking 100 Years style, but J Strange and M Norrell or Night Circus, where there are magical people in an ordinary world), cyberpunk, steampunk, urban fantasy like Neil Gaiman or historical fantasy like Lovecraft? Would these themes still be appropriate to the category?

My thought is not only "yes," but a resounding "hell yeah!"

We might, just "might" mind you, need to be a little careful with magical creatures in the otherwise modern setting as I fear it might be shuffled off to Non-human rather than the target category of Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Also, I think graphical novels (aka "comics") would probably be shifted to illustrated if graphic art was incorporated. (Howsomever, I would posit that Homealone_447 did pretty well posting his stories here without the art incorporated elsewhere later.)

But, I would think that Steampunk, Cyberpunk, most Urban Fantasy, and Historical Fantasy would be appropriate. Definitely for the date, but I think also for the category. And in fact, I was thinking about sounding a clarion call to try to stir some interest by authors interested in writing such to "bring it on!" Stopped by, in fact, this morning to do that very thing.

Thank you for taking the initiative to bring it up. And, by all means, please do jot something along those lines if you are of a mind to grok it.

We might, just "might" mind you, need to be a little careful with magical creatures in the otherwise modern setting as I fear it might be shuffled off to Non-human rather than the target category of Sci-Fi & Fantasy.

This concern gave me a thought, PuckIt. As you are the organizer, I have some tips I've observed recently from BlackRandi's event.

You state in the OP:

3) Submissions should be turned in during the week between 15 May and 22 May.

4) "Geek Pride!" should be included in the notes field for intended submissions. Failure to do so will mean not being included in the submissions intended for that date.

You may need to update that OP to note you'd like all stories for this selected for "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" category, and that you'd like them to add a Tag that explicitly states "Geek Pride" in addition to that "Admin Note," and reach out and confirm with Laurel that this will be the case for where these stories will be placed.

That alone should alleviate modern-urban stories with magical creatures being shuffled into Non-Human. :)

I can also recommend taking a page from BlackRandi and keeping a list of the authors who have stated their interest and reach out to them 3-4 times between now and the week before the event. (use Bcc emails for those who RSVP to communicate directly). You can take that opportunity to make sure the Category selected is consistent between authors, and that they are reminded to use both the appropriate Tag "Geek Pride" and add the "Admin Note" singling out their story for Laurel.

Organization and Communication is what it's all about! :D

My thought is not only "yes," but a resounding "hell yeah!"

We might, just "might" mind you, need to be a little careful with magical creatures in the otherwise modern setting as I fear it might be shuffled off to Non-human rather than the target category of Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Also, I think graphical novels (aka "comics") would probably be shifted to illustrated if graphic art was incorporated. (Howsomever, I would posit that Homealone_447 did pretty well posting his stories here without the art incorporated elsewhere later.)

But, I would think that Steampunk, Cyberpunk, most Urban Fantasy, and Historical Fantasy would be appropriate. Definitely for the date, but I think also for the category. And in fact, I was thinking about sounding a clarion call to try to stir some interest by authors interested in writing such to "bring it on!" Stopped by, in fact, this morning to do that very thing.

Thank you for taking the initiative to bring it up. And, by all means, please do jot something along those lines if you are of a mind to grok it.

I guess I rolled for initiative this morning...
Thanks so much for your response. When I'm not writing smut I write 'historical' fantasy and cyberpunk and I was hoping to write a piece in one of those veins.
Not that I'm not up for reading a good elf/halfling romance or an erotic space adventure, I'm just not the best at writing them.

This concern gave me a thought, PuckIt. As you are the organizer, I have some tips I've observed recently from BlackRandi's event.

You state in the OP:

3) Submissions should be turned in during the week between 15 May and 22 May.

4) "Geek Pride!" should be included in the notes field for intended submissions. Failure to do so will mean not being included in the submissions intended for that date.

You may need to update that OP to note you'd like all stories for this selected for "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" category, and that you'd like them to add a Tag that explicitly states "Geek Pride" in addition to that "Admin Note," and reach out and confirm with Laurel that this will be the case for where these stories will be placed.

That alone should alleviate modern-urban stories with magical creatures being shuffled into Non-Human. :)

I can also recommend taking a page from BlackRandi and keeping a list of the authors who have stated their interest and reach out to them 3-4 times between now and the week before the event. (use Bcc emails for those who RSVP to communicate directly). You can take that opportunity to make sure the Category selected is consistent between authors, and that they are reminded to use both the appropriate Tag "Geek Pride" and add the "Admin Note" singling out their story for Laurel.

Organization and Communication is what it's all about! :D

Ack! Woman, you're ruining my diabolical plan to prove Laurel has taken leave of her senses to nominate me as the raid leader of this dungeon delve if I follow all that advice. I mean, it's good advice, yeah. That's the problem. I've been down enough graveled roads (a few on my face) to know that if I do too great a job, I'll never be able to shuffle it off to someone else (such as yourself, oh Queen of the Drow) next year. :cool:

And that's not even considering my recent nightmares of Laurel and Ogg plotting behind my back to get me a little more involved in planning various other little off-beat non-competitive events. :eek:

Fortunately (for me if not Lit's inaugural Geek Pride Day), my ambition, determination, and enthusiasm have always been offset by a severe lack of skills in Organization (my wife called me "Chronic Chaos") and Communication (as you've pointed out). It's my only hope, Etaski-wan. :D

However, I will meet you partway and edit the OP to include a "Geek Pride" stamp in the tags and will even go so far as to approach the Obsidian Throne to grovel before Mistress Laurel.

But! I don't plan on blowing up anybody's inbox. Although I might consider feeding them to the trolls the day after.

Troll_(Skyrim).png

I want to try this but I feel so much pressure! No one's expectations are as high as a true geek! :eek:

I want to try this but I feel so much pressure! No one's expectations are as high as a true geek! :eek:

^^Quoted for truth.^^

Honestly, the reason none of my three names have ever been seen in the hallowed halls of S&F on Lit is most likely because I've had so many Hugo, Nebula, and Locus award winners pass through my hands over the years, I'm a bit more self-judgemental there while I am quick to give myself permission to suck elsewhere.

For myself, though, I felt it was time (and probably past time) to hoist the freak flag and let my true colors show.

And keep in mind, PrettyLilPussy, while a true Geek's expectations will be higher, no one knows just what gives their fellow Geeks a literary hard-on better for their chosen genre either. So, prepare that freak flag to run up to the top of the mast on 25 May and let the true Geeks salute you for the effort!

BUT! Pray Tell, you say "another" Song of Seduction is on a roll for this. That's great! But, uh, I haven't read your work yet and there's nothing obvious on your submissions page about that particular title. Care to explain just a little more?

https://www.literotica.com/s/songs-of-seduction-water

A strange little piece that was inspired by a rather lovely young woman lying on the sand, on an Oz beach this summer. And surf.

Hey PuckIt, I'm working on a story [very, very, very slowly] set in an alternate 'now' that closely mirrors 2018 reality, but with clones. Would this pass muster? Genre-wise, it could fall under mind-control, GM, non-con, romance, erotic horror or sci-fi, depending on how you viewed it.

Hey PuckIt, I'm working on a story [very, very, very slowly] set in an alternate 'now' that closely mirrors 2018 reality, but with clones. Would this pass muster? Genre-wise, it could fall under mind-control, GM, non-con, romance, erotic horror or sci-fi, depending on how you viewed it.

Heyla JasonClearwater!

My thought process is that the divergent timeline reality with clones should be enough to place it within the realm of Sci-Fi. But, then again, I'm from "back then" as Chloe would phrase it, so to me Dolly (the sheep, not her namesake) is still news. And as far as I know, there aren't any fully grown human clones old enough to read Lit. since to the best of my knowledge, Woo-Suk Hwang retracted his 2004 paper claiming to have cloned a human embryo (the only one to date I'm aware of).

Er, unless there is something you'd like to share with us? Good God, two of you?! :eek:

I think, if it was me, I'd play it somewhat safe and play up the diversity of the timeline via a little "undisprovable yet unprovable hard science" to feed the Nerd frenzy that inevitably crops up in a Geekfest with a modified timeline of the cloning process to give it a Hard Sci-Fi feel to place it firmly in the realm of Sci-fi rather than relying on the Soft Science sociology aspects just to be sure.

As for the inclusion of MC, GM, Non-con, Romance, and Horror, I don't see a particular problem so long as it is written so that the Science Fictional aspects are the more important as each of those and more makes an appearance in both the Sci-Fi and Fantasy sub-genres.

But, I'll reiterate, it's mostly going to fall on you as the author to leave little doubt that this is an alternate reality with living clones story rather than another type of tale with a thin veneer of science to try to squeak it in.

And I'm just about as useful as the nipples on the Batsuit aren't I? :D

But, hopefully, I gave enough clarification for you to move forward. :cool:

Heyla JasonClearwater!

And I'm just about as useful as the nipples on the Batsuit aren't I? :D

But, hopefully, I gave enough clarification for you to move forward. :cool:

Thanks, mate. I'll see how it pans out. At this point, it's likely to be finished in 2020, so whether or not it fits might be irrelevant. :cool:

Ack! Woman, you're ruining my diabolical plan to prove Laurel has taken leave of her senses to nominate me as the raid leader of this dungeon delve if I follow all that advice. I mean, it's good advice, yeah. That's the problem. I've been down enough graveled roads (a few on my face) to know that if I do too great a job, I'll never be able to shuffle it off to someone else (such as yourself, oh Queen of the Drow) next year. :cool:
HA! :D Confession accepted. I could tell, you know, you weren't being subtle. ;) My single thread to pull which unravels your entire argument would be, "You may politely decline next year, PuckIt-san."

...unless you simply enjoy being cajoled and pursued and "plotted" against in various ways, then by all means, continue! ;D

Although on a slightly serious note (the graveled roads comment prompted it, I've heard that before), I can't fault you for that POV. I've known too many guys in the military who didn't receive the promotion/better assignment they had earned/been promised by their superior because there wasn't anybody competent enough to replace them and they couldn't be "spared." Lemme tell ya, that fucking sucks and doesn't do anything for morale. One does ask, "Why the hell do I care to do a good job again?" (Except I'm cursed with, "If I'm doing it at all, it'll be done competently and well, or I'll simply refuse to take it on, guilt-free." Hence, why I never went into the military. Probably be court-martialed in six months).

Fortunately (for me if not Lit's inaugural Geek Pride Day), my ambition, determination, and enthusiasm have always been offset by a severe lack of skills in Organization (my wife called me "Chronic Chaos") and Communication (as you've pointed out). It's my only hope, Etaski-wan. :D
Hehehe! I'm familiar with "Chronic Chaos." ;) Guys like that tend to wander into my sphere a lot (I'm the "Temporal Gravitational Anchor of Order" by comparison.)

However, I will meet you partway and edit the OP to include a "Geek Pride" stamp in the tags and will even go so far as to approach the Obsidian Throne to grovel before Mistress Laurel.
Score! :D Always glad to be met partway. *fist bump*

But! I don't plan on blowing up anybody's inbox. Although I might consider feeding them to the trolls the day after.
"They have a cave troll...."

Muah-hah-hah!

With only 13.5 hours left on the April Foolery clock, hopefully, all who are so inclined are turning their attention to the incipient flying of freak flags on Lit's Inaugural Geek Pride Day!

I admit that in my own case, I took a momentary leave of my senses and wiped the slate clean of the thirteen terrible tales I had begun. But then, anyone who knows me at all knows that's not all that unusual.

I've got a blank screen and "the idea" (I think). And sixty days to make this Epic Adventure leave the tavern.

After one more mug of ale. And maybe another serving of Otik's Pan-Fried Potatoes.

Any road, whether you reading this have already expressed an interest or not, I throw down the gauntlet to let your freak flag fly as high as it might on 25 May, Geek Pride Day by throwing a little something in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy hopper to show the Geeks amongst us some love.

Hey PuckIt (or anyone else),

I'm working on my story, but I don't read much Sci Fi/Fantasy here on Literotica, so I'm not familiar with the readership or what they like or expect. The story I'm working on is kind of hard-science fiction in the vein of Kim Stanley Robinson or Andy Weir. I'm googling lots of math.

Do you think that sort of thing will find much of an audience here? Or do the readers want rockets, ray guns, and robots in their sci fi?

I'm gonna write it anyway, I'm just trying to manage my own expectations.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dang it

And as far as your age, don't sweat it, Grasshopper. Just because I've got shirts older than you doesn't mean anything. :cool:

I looked across the room and that bin full of tshirts has my Oxnard Urban Gorilla shirt from 1985. And my Pennsic 12 and 13 shirts. And I don't have more from those halcyon days only because I'd need another bout with the flesh-eating staph to get back down to wearing a Large, so I gave all those shirts away, finally.

Phoo. Now I feel 'not young.'

Hey PuckIt (or anyone else),

I'm working on my story, but I don't read much Sci Fi/Fantasy here on Literotica, so I'm not familiar with the readership or what they like or expect. The story I'm working on is kind of hard-science fiction in the vein of Kim Stanley Robinson or Andy Weir. I'm googling lots of math.

Do you think that sort of thing will find much of an audience here? Or do the readers want rockets, ray guns, and robots in their sci fi?.
There is a readership for hard sci-fi in the category, yes. No, rockets/rayguns/robots are not that popular unless you update the technology accordingly--perhaps include some biogenetic engineering.

I can't tell you how numerous they are, or their general age group (I've seen old man reference some very old hard sci-fi stories and young men in college talking TV shows/movies/current research). But most importantly, I have seen them. They can debate the topic quite passionately (how "hard" your sci-fi actually is, and how accurate), ergo, get ready for nitpicking or someone "correcting" you, or possibly a couple get into a true geek discussion/argument (although whether that happens at all depends on factors I can't predict).

I honestly couldn't think of a more Geeky thing to enter than hard sci-fi, actually. :D It's a good thing. Might be small reads compared to what you may be used to in other categories, but if it's a good setting, exciting/intelligent story with a character they can relate to and the math is accurate, it'll have an appreciative audience.

Back