Arizona Republicans attempt to thwart democracy

someoneyouknow

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Posts
28,274
When the chips are down, claim you want to follow the law. That's the excuse Arizona Republicans are using to stop the counting of mail-in ballots now that their candidate for U.S. Senate might not win.

About 75 percent of Arizona voters cast ballots by mail, but those ballots have to go through a signature confirmation process, and only then can be opened and tabulated. If county recorders have issues verifying signatures they are allowed to ask voters to verify their identity.

The suit filed Wednesday by four county Republican parties alleges that the state's 15 county recorders don't follow a uniform standard for allowing voters to adjust problems with their mail-in ballots, and that two counties improperly allow those fixes after Election Day.

The GOP complained about the issue before Election Day and threatened to sue. Democrats alleged it was attempted voter suppression and that recorders have followed the same procedures for years with no issues. Republicans said it was about following the law and having a timely ballot count.

Despite being in control of the Arizona legislature for several years, not once have Republicans they set forth a specific rule or given guidelines for country recorders to follow. This is borne out by several Arizona county recorders saying they wished there was a standardized policy to use.

In conclusion, when your candidate could lose, claim you want to follow the law to suppress the vote. Even if such a law doesn't exist.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona-senate-race-gop-sues-mail-in-ballots-martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema/

https://www.azmirror.com/2018/11/05/no-lawsuit-on-early-ballot-verification-but-big-gains-made/
 
Back
Top