Delayed release time?

Really? To center things, I just have to type 17 extra characters. After I do that, I just don't put the extra linefeed in, so I save a character there. Of course I also bold it, so that's 7 extra characters.

As far as editorial style here at Lit. They allow bold, italic, underline, and center. Why not use it?
One reason not to use centering is that it stuffs up "read in page view" on Kindles (so possibly all similar platforms, I don't know) - the first centering instruction acts as a complete stop to all further text.

I discovered this the time I thought, "I know, I'll be clever, I'll use * * * * as a centered section break in my next story." Then I discovered I couldn't read my own story in the usual way, and I've seen the same problem with other writers here.

So centering might be allowed, but it's not compatible with probably the most widely used e-book reader, so there's one good reason not to use it.

One reason not to use centering is that it stuffs up "read in page view" on Kindles (so possibly all similar platforms, I don't know) - the first centering instruction acts as a complete stop to all further text.

I discovered this the time I thought, "I know, I'll be clever, I'll use * * * * as a centered section break in my next story." Then I discovered I couldn't read my own story in the usual way, and I've seen the same problem with other writers here.

So centering might be allowed, but it's not compatible with probably the most widely used e-book reader, so there's one good reason not to use it.
Every one of my stories starts with a centered title. So nobody reads my stuff on Kindles. Noted. The Kindle reader sounds fucked if it can't candle minimal HTML. I'm glad we went Android.

Every one of my stories starts with a centered title. So nobody reads my stuff on Kindles. Noted. The Kindle reader sounds fucked if it can't candle minimal HTML. I'm glad we went Android.
I can read centred text, just not flick to "page view" which is better quality - that's were it falls over. It could also be the Silk browser - either way, it's made me forget about any formatting other than italics, which aren't problematic.

Most simple formatting is best if you want to be a read author more than a book designer.

Well there's your problem, you use a Kindle.

When I read ebooks I use a app on my phone that presents everything, any file format, how it was originally formatted. It's called ReadEra. It even reads .doc files or plain text.

ETA: It is an Android app.

Last edited:
Well there's your problem, you use a Kindle.

When I read ebooks I use a app on my phone that presents everything, any file format, how it was originally formatted. It's called ReadEra. It even reads .doc files or plain text.

ETA: It is an Android app.
A phone is way too small. My kindle fire is about the same size as a book, so I can actually see the words. I can't imagine reading anything on a phone - I'm old-school, I use a phone for talking to people and the occasional text, but other than that it stays on a shelf or in a pocket. I also prefer vinyl to CD, don't stream any music at all, and build my own tube amps too, so there's that, too. I actually prefer books :).

Anytime technology prevents a reader from seeing something an author has written is, yes, a problem for both reader and author. But the reader has no lack of reading material to their interests on offer on platforms where they can access it. If an author can't reach a reader's platforms, the author is just out one more reader. Which, again, yes, is a plug for keeping it simple.

A phone is way too small. My kindle fire is about the same size as a book, so I can actually see the words. I can't imagine reading anything on a phone - I'm old-school, I use a phone for talking to people and the occasional text, but other than that it stays on a shelf or in a pocket. I also prefer vinyl to CD, don't stream any music at all, and build my own tube amps too, so there's that, too. I actually prefer books :).

The app lets you change the size of the text as well as the font. Even the lit app lets you change the size of the text. Of course a lit page is now down to about 90 words a page with text so I can read it, but what the hell, I can hold it in one hand. :D

My submission is pending almost 5 days, is that unusual?

Once they're approved they sometimes take 12-24 hrs to get posted, too. :(

Do you cut and paste or submit a .doc or .rtf file?

Five days is a long time... if you use cut and paste.

Once approved, they should post after Midnight Eastern time that next day.

5 days does seem kind of long. My last one was submitted 11/11 and posted on 11/13.

What category is it? I think some people have said some categories take longer.

If it doesn't do anything in a week I'd say PM Laurel.

You did hit submit didn't you? I know there was someone else recently new that still had theirs sitting in drafts and was wondering why it wasn't getting approved.

And like Zeb said, once approved it should go live after 12 am the next day. Are you sure it's Eastern time? I'm central and it always goes live at midnight here for me.

Back