son of the isolated blurts thread!

the film was good. that's absolutely true.

my problem is katniss. i keep needing reminders that katniss everdeen is only 17 or so. she's still a child and thinks/reacts like a child. so katniss keeps making me want to slap her cuz she's so goddamned stupid sometimes.

and then i remember how i felt about shit as a minor and that helps.

ed
 
17 years old would be a tough age to be so powerful, to be an icon. I think Katniss is written well, considering.

Hell, I think it would be tough even as an adult. I don't know that I'd make any wiser decisions at my age than she does at hers. Then again, my brain just doesn't work that way. Tactics and strategy just aren't my forte.
 
j quoth:
17 years old would be a tough age to be so powerful, to be an icon. i jthink katniss is written well, considering.
what's funny is that my wife, who's read the books (i haven't) responded to my same complaint by saying, "jeez, i think she's really whiny in the books, and is a lot more sympathetic in the film!" :>

bail quoth:
hell, i think it would be tough even as an adult. i don't know that i'd make any wiser decisions at my age than she does at hers. then again, my brain just doesn't work that way. tactics and strategy just aren't my forte.
i dunno: as an adult, you know how to listen to your trusted advisors who are, you know, advising you. :>

ed
 
i dunno: as an adult, you know how to listen to your trusted advisors who are, you know, advising you. :>

ed

Therein lies the rub, though. Who can she really trust? Aside from her family. And Gale. But eventually, even he starts crossing lines she's not willing to.

To just about everyone else, she's a pawn. A means to an end. Read the books, Ed, especially the last one. You'll see what I mean.

Pretty tough stuff to deal with, regardless of age. At least, I would think.
 
I got into a significant, and very public, argument over Katniss' character in Mockingjay. Another ELA teacher and I went rounds over whether she was dynamic or flat.

I would love to talk to you, a sane person, about it.

My daughters laughed hysterically...you know, "Mom, that is a fight that only reading teachers would get into."

Reading teachers or rabid bookworms!

I love talking books, J, so anytime!
 
I put this up as my Fb status today:

Most people don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.


And a lot of the ones agreeing with me are the very people it's directed towards. Oh, the irony.
 
You're almost there, Minxy! :D

What Imekay said!

Thanks ladies! I made it but just barely. Now I'm off until Tues. :)

I put this up as my Fb status today:

And a lot of the ones agreeing with me are the very people it's directed towards. Oh, the irony.

35932-0-losdoh-de-homero-en-las-20-temporadas.png
 
minxy quoth:
ed, this made me bust out in giggles. does your walker have the tennis balls on it?
bah, tennis balls are for n00bs. i use racquetballs.

bailadora quoth:
hey now!

thanks for the laugh, my friend!
easy yuks, that's what i'm here for! :D

ed
 
Thanks ladies! I made it but just barely. Now I'm off until Tues. :)

That's great!

My blurt:
I've made three trips to the grocery store preparing for Thanksgiving. I have still managed to forget the damn corn. One more trip tomorrow, I guess.
 
Only 30 Days, 3 Hours, 49 Minutes, and 54 Seconds of shopping left until Christmas! You people better get to cracking! :eek:
 
[trout-smacks NM]

it's not enough that madison avenue has de facto exterminated thanksgiving, but you gotta pile on? c'mon, dude.

[trout-smacks him again for good measure]
 
Back
Top