Metalheads & Writers

Powerwolf and Alestorm are hardly novelties, considering they've been around for more than ten years each. Powerwolf regularly place on the German album charts, with their latest even going top 5.

A warm welcome to you, SardonicSlut.

I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention. I read the title as Maltheads & Writers. I was so disappointed when I realised that it said Metalheads. :)

Well, considering that many metalheads drink both beer and whiskey, you're not far off.

I haven't touched anything alcoholic in about 18 or so years though.

What do you know about Controlled Bleeding?

I have one piece attributed to them; The Talking Drum which I understand was originally done by King Crimson. When I went to read up on them, it's all thrash metal, death metal, etc which I don't care for. So, are they, or not?

I have one piece attributed to them; The Talking Drum which I understand was originally done by King Crimson. When I went to read up on them, it's all thrash metal, death metal, etc which I don't care for. So, are they, or not?

See HERE.

Not quite my scene, really.

I never do the tube. I have The Talking Drum. I'm asking about other works from Controlled Bleeding.

Before you've brought them up, I've never heard about them. But two minutes with Google and Wikipedia tells me that, if there's a genre label, Controlled Bleeding might have used it at least once.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Bleeding

With more than 30 albums, there should be some non-metal stuff by them.

Today's classic Death Metal album:

Cancer - Death shall rise.

Anyone ever listen to that? I used to write dark, morbid poetry listening to that album👠👠👠Kant🌹

Let's not forget Spinal Tap. Beautiful and affectionate parody of the genre, and so close to the truth that Ozzy reportedly mistook the movie for a genuine documentary.

Metalhead thread! I consider myself one, although a bit more mainstream. Pantera is my all time favorite. Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, Dethklok... anything with heavy chugging and technical shredding. I'm quite the chugger myself \m/(><)\m/

Speaking of chugging:
https://youtu.be/qc98u-eGzlc

Today's classic Death Metal album:

Cancer - Death shall rise.

Anyone ever listen to that? I used to write dark, morbid poetry listening to that album👠👠👠Kant🌹

*raises hand* Back in the days when you either had a Morrisound or Sunlight production :)

Let me drop one of my faves here: Bolt Thrower - War Master

The masters of the steamroller. Heaviness in mid tempo. And they're huge Warhammer 40.000 fans, as evidenced by both their lyrics ("World Eaters!") and artworks straight from Games Workshop.

Last edited:
*raises hand* Back in the days when you either had a Morrisound or Sunlight production :)

Let me drop one of my faves here: Bolt Thrower - War Master

The masters of the steamroller. Heaviness in mid tempo. And they're huge Warhammer 40.000 fans, as evidenced by both their lyrics ("World Eaters!") and artworks straight from Games Workshop.

Not ashamed to admit that I listened to Bolt Thrower. I guess at the time I was also heavy into Entombed's Left hand path and Clandestine albums. A different sound, yes, but when I was stationed in South Korea, I listened to everything I could get my hands on😎

Without punk we wouldn't have Iron Maiden or Motörhead. Besides, The Exploited have gone pretty metal in the 90s. "Beat The Bastards" is practically thrash metal :)

Do you know German punk bands like Slim, Toxoplasma, Daily Terror or Die Toten Hosen? I mean, fucking everybody knows the Ramones and The Clash and Sex Pistols...

Well I wouldn't want to derail metal train thread about punk bands but without scratching surface the Dead Boys, the Damned, 999, Heartbreakers (not Tom Petty's band), Social Distortion.

But a punk band that a lot of headbangers (amongst others) like and even those that never heard have probably seen their mascot/symbol is Jersey's finest the Misfits who certainly veered into metal territory after Danzig left.

The earliest, heaviest song I can think of would be Led Zeppelin's - Immigrant Song that predates Kiss' song God of Thunder by quite a few years. I remember the first time I heard both songs growing up and thinking like, wow, this shit is cool. It didn't take me long to discover Black Sabbath, Venom, Diamond Head, Motörhead, Helloween, Dio, Possessed, Rigor Mortis, Twisted Sister ( a band that contributed to me dressing like a woman by the way), and Slayer.
👠👠👠Kant🌹

Well I wouldn't want to derail metal train thread about punk bands but without scratching surface the Dead Boys, the Damned, 999, Heartbreakers (not Tom Petty's band), Social Distortion.

But a punk band that a lot of headbangers (amongst others) like and even those that never heard have probably seen their mascot/symbol is Jersey's finest the Misfits who certainly veered into metal territory after Danzig left.

Oddly, I never really got into the Misfits. I can only think of one Danzig song I really liked - Her Black Wings, and maybe Mother if I have had something stronger than tea to drink. That's about the extent of it. 🌹

Not ashamed to admit that I listened to Bolt Thrower. I guess at the time I was also heavy into Entombed's Left hand path and Clandestine albums. A different sound, yes, but when I was stationed in South Korea, I listened to everything I could get my hands on😎

Bolt Thrower made a career out of rerecording the same album many times over ;)

Those two Entombed albums got a lot of heavy rotation out of me back in the day. Crawl is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Also, Machine Head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPncrqnmRc

(I suck, I know ;) )

Today's Metal pick from me: Nevermore's song Next in line🌹

Good pick. Too bad they imploded so messily not too long ago. But then, it gave us a Sanctuary reunion and Jeff Loomis's solo albums aren't half bad either. Even for part-time musicians.

Kant, do you know the Norwegians Communic? They're quite the passable Nevermord substitute. Their first three albums are classics in their own right. The latter ones lack that certain something, but considering how much shit their guitarist/singer had to deal with its hardly surprising.

https://youtu.be/4ILTb5DkEpk

Last edited:
Good pick. Too bad they imploded so messily not too long ago. But then, it gave us a Sanctuary reunion and Jeff Loomis's solo albums aren't half bad either. Even for part-time musicians.

Kant, do you know the Norwegians Communic? They're quite the passable Nevermord substitute. Their first three albums are classics in their own right. The latter ones lack that certain something, but considering how much shit their guitarist/singer had to deal with its hardly surprising.

https://youtu.be/4ILTb5DkEpk

I'll check them out😎

Anyone remember SOil's 2001's release "Scars" ... fucking awesome
👠👠👠Kant🌹
https://youtu.be/RFc-2aNZ6VY

💋

Nope, that went right by me. And after listening to a few songs on YT, I'm sorry to say this isn't quite my jam. *shrugs* But where would be the fun if our tastes would overlap 100%? I'm a bit picky when it comes to early 2000s US metal. Some Killswitch Engage, maybe Shadows Fall, but that's about it. Oh, and Skeletonwitch. Never been a huge Manson fan and most stuff with latent or overt psycho attitude isn't for me :)

Notable exception is Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend anything.

Nope, that went right by me. And after listening to a few songs on YT, I'm sorry to say this isn't quite my jam. *shrugs* But where would be the fun if our tastes would overlap 100%? I'm a bit picky when it comes to early 2000s US metal. Some Killswitch Engage, maybe Shadows Fall, but that's about it. Oh, and Skeletonwitch. Never been a huge Manson fan and most stuff with latent or overt psycho attitude isn't for me :)

Devin is Canadian ;)

SOil was a surprise entry that caught my ear at the time. I can appreciate both the album and music. It was a bit more popular compared to some of the other music I was crushing my head to at the time. STY and Nevermore were choice picks of mine from Century Media. But, they didn't get the amount of play time from me like : Samael, Tiamat, The Gathering and all the others I'm so fond of listening to from Century Media😎

Back