"Because it's there."

So I was in the mountains, though not actually climbing any, on Sunday last. The girls wore snowshoes, but I don't own any, so I wore my XC skis. Two crazy, happy dogs along with us. It was so amazing to be out again, on a trail in the snow, moving smoothly, chatting and laughing, throwing the occasional snowball into a tree above somebody to make the snow fall on them. We got to Mirror Lake and traversed around it, great skyline views and a mix of evergreens and mountain laurel (or were they rhododendrons? I can never tell). The trip down was spectacular, as the snow was perfect, a little sticky, so I could just cruise and not have to worry about sliding on ice or going faster than I could handle. Every now and then one of the dogs would charge past me, exuberant in that way that dogs have, not a care in the world other than to run really fast that way!

Of course, we treated ourselves to excellent beer and pizza at the local brewpub afterwards, then drove out of the huge flakes of gently drifting snow and home into the cold rain of Portland, souls refreshed, reassured that there are mountains.

impetuous said:
That sounds like an awesome way to spend a Sunday. Thanks for sharing that!
My pleasure. It was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Oh, and the thread needed bumping anyways....

Peregrinator said:
So I was in the mountains, though not actually climbing any, on Sunday last. The girls wore snowshoes, but I don't own any, so I wore my XC skis. Two crazy, happy dogs along with us. It was so amazing to be out again, on a trail in the snow, moving smoothly, chatting and laughing, throwing the occasional snowball into a tree above somebody to make the snow fall on them. We got to Mirror Lake and traversed around it, great skyline views and a mix of evergreens and mountain laurel (or were they rhododendrons? I can never tell). The trip down was spectacular, as the snow was perfect, a little sticky, so I could just cruise and not have to worry about sliding on ice or going faster than I could handle. Every now and then one of the dogs would charge past me, exuberant in that way that dogs have, not a care in the world other than to run really fast that way!

Of course, we treated ourselves to excellent beer and pizza at the local brewpub afterwards, then drove out of the huge flakes of gently drifting snow and home into the cold rain of Portland, souls refreshed, reassured that there are mountains.
Bucolic stories that involve places named Mirror Lake absolutely never fail to please.

I've been to Portland only once, but I thought it was a beautiful area. I'm not sure I could handle the amount of rain you get up there, though.

impetuous said:
I've been to Portland only once, but I thought it was a beautiful area. I'm not sure I could handle the amount of rain you get up there, though.
I think the mountain Perg is talking about, where he was, is inland from Portland far enough not to be too rain swamped..in fact I think it is glaciated.

impetuous said:
That's the number one Thing That Sucks about Portland. Otherwise, it's a wonderful place.

Atmas is right, as he always is...Mt Hood is glaciated, though we were on a little foothill, so it was just accumulated snow. I have yet to get on the glaciers.

I'm just popping in to say hi to Pergy before I go to sleep :eek:

:kiss: :rose:

1hotfuck said:
I'm just popping in to say hi to Pergy before I go to sleep :eek:

:kiss: :rose:
I yearn for the day that all you have to do is roll over a little to say that.

:kiss: placed wherever you need it most.

Peregrinator said:
I yearn for the day that all you have to do is roll over a little to say that.

:kiss: placed wherever you need it most.

You're melting my heart pergy :kiss:

And for once I'm not going to be a perv and take that on the forehead.. I've got a terrible headache

1hotfuck said:
You're melting my heart pergy :kiss:

And for once I'm not going to be a perv and take that on the forehead.. I've got a terrible headache
So sorry, dear. Off to sleep with you then. Get better and then come back and tease us some more.

*nurturing hug*

Peregrinator said:
So sorry, dear. Off to sleep with you then. Get better and then come back and tease us some more.

*nurturing hug*

*nods* I'm off then. Have a good night hun and sleep well when you decide to go to bed :rose:

*hugs*

Do you ever huddle together for warmth?

If so, do you have pictures of this?

Angua_ said:
Do you ever huddle together for warmth?

If so, do you have pictures of this?

Yes.
No. Usually, if that's what's going on, no one is taking pictures.

Angua_ said:
Too caught up in the action, huh?
In a manner of speaking, yes. Atmas is fond of a quote from Woody Allen: "It is impossible to experience one's own death objectively and still carry a tune."

Peregrinator said:
Then take horribly slutty pictures and email them to me.

I suppose I could but I'm not really in the mood. How about I just send you horribly slutty pictures that I took recently?

1hotfuck said:
I suppose I could but I'm not really in the mood. How about I just send you horribly slutty pictures that I took recently?
That is always an acceptable alternative. To pretty much anything, actually, now that I think about it.

Peregrinator said:
That is always an acceptable alternative. To pretty much anything, actually, now that I think about it.

Slutty pictures make everyone happy. :D

1hotfuck said:

*whispers* you've got mail....
Doing this color thing is fun, even though it does nothing to hide what's going on....thank you for the pics....sorry I disappeared the other night. For those of you who are eavesdropping on this white convo, 1HF is incredibly hot. Like, you fantasize about girls like her..

Back