Is The Draft Coming Back?

Frimost said:
Source for what, that Thmarines are part of the navy? LOL Each time you argue the point you lsoe credability in other peoples eyes! lol Call you're local recruiter if you need more proof! :D
I have five sources to back me up and you have none.

My credibility is perfect and it is unassailable.

Five sources against none, dude.

Five versus ZERO.

Can you count???

Dixon Carter Lee said:
The draft produced inferior soliders, a poor chain of command and an ambiguous command structure, and the State Dept. knows that. The draft will never come back.

While you may be right on the first three points (and they are debatable), the State Department has NOTHING to do with the draft.

The Defense Department administers Selective Service (the draft). They have since 1947 when the National Security Act became effective. Prior to that, it was part of the War Department.

And, as to the draft never returning, it's probably not a good idea to say "never".

While we do not need the draft today (the services are meeting or exceeding their needs), there may be a day when we have no choice. If we find ourselves involved in a global conflict on the scale of WW II, the draft would certainly be required.

midwestscribe said:
While you may be right on the first three points (and they are debatable), the State Department has NOTHING to do with the draft.

The Defense Department administers Selective Service (the draft). They have since 1947 when the National Security Act became effective. Prior to that, it was part of the War Department.

And, as to the draft never returning, it's probably not a good idea to say "never".

While we do not need the draft today (the services are meeting or exceeding their needs), there may be a day when we have no choice. If we find ourselves involved in a global conflict on the scale of WW II, the draft would certainly be required.
Please. In a global conflict they'll have too many resources thrown at weeding out some of the throngs of volunteers to divert towards a draft of what few won't sign up.

LovingTongue said:
Ok hold up. Which are we to go with here? What you consider, or what every documented source presented, considers? It's literally your word against an Army's.

BTW dude, considering that I am in the electoral majority about the draft, it appears to me that you are the one who is unfit to be an American... after all, it is I who have the numbers. :)
When the Marines and the Coast Guard get secretaries of their respective services, then I'll consider them branches.......and they should have those. Until then, every gyrine cashes a check that says 'Department of the Navy."

How do you know that you are in the electoral majority?

MakersandIce said:
When the Marines and the Coast Guard get secretaries of their respective services, then I'll consider them branches.......and they should have those. Until then, every gyrine cashes a check that says 'Department of the Navy."

How do you know that you are in the electoral majority?
a) the Democrats mopped up in 2006.
b) the polls show a huge opposition to the draft
c) good luck in finding parents who even encourage their kids to join the military as of late - that crowd be a'comin' up short.

We are true Americans and we're mighty darned willing to force everyone else to do things as we see it.

As in, look to seeing the all hopes of the Draft and even Selective Service getting abolished in your lifetime.

Never again.

This is our country now!

LovingTongue said:
Keep attacking Wikipedia all you want.

There are now four other sources that back me up in that there are five branches.

You have yet to show me even one source that backs you up.

Tongue, you are 100% correct. There are FIVE branches of the U.S. military.

However, there are ONLY three military departments:

Department of the Army
Department of the Air Force
Department of the Navy - administers both the Navy and the Marine Corps.

All THREE come under the umbrella of the Department of Defense.

Then, there is the Department of Homeland Security responsible for the Coast Guard. Prior to the Homeland Security Act, the Coast Guard was under the Department of Transportation, before that the Treasury Department, etc. During World War II, the Coast Guard took a lot of direction from the Navy, even though it never was absorbed into the Navy.

Your sources were correct to a point. Had they made the disctinctions above, they would have been more accurate. It appears that's where all the confusion came from.

Oh? My source? Myself, because I spent 22 years in uniform, most of it in a position requiring Senate confirmation.

LovingTongue said:
a) the Democrats mopped up in 2006.
b) the polls show a huge opposition to the draft
c) good luck in finding parents who even encourage their kids to join the military as of late - that crowd be a'comin' up short.

We are true Americans and we're mighty darned willing to force everyone else to do things as we see it.

As in, look to seeing the all hopes of the Draft and even Selective Service getting abolished in your lifetime.

Never again.

This is our country now!
a) 'Bout time some of them got a job.
b) Polls can show anything the originator wants them to show.
c) I wouldn't encouraged mine to enlist.

I have no problem with the SS and the Draft being abolished; however, if there is a need for a draft, it should be reinstated. ....Females as well as males..........with no deferments.

midwestscribe said:
Tongue, you are 100% correct. There are FIVE branches of the U.S. military.

However, there are ONLY three military departments:

Department of the Army
Department of the Air Force
Department of the Navy - administers both the Navy and the Marine Corps.

All THREE come under the umbrella of the Department of Defense.

Then, there is the Department of Homeland Security responsible for the Coast Guard. Prior to the Homeland Security Act, the Coast Guard was under the Department of Transportation, before that the Treasury Department, etc. During World War II, the Coast Guard took a lot of direction from the Navy, even though it never was absorbed into the Navy.

Your sources were correct to a point. Had they made the disctinctions above, they would have been more accurate. It appears that's where all the confusion came from.

Oh? My source? Myself, because I spent 22 years in uniform, most of it in a position requiring Senate confirmation.
Actually, you're right. Well said.

You actually phrased it right; they did not. :)

MakersandIce said:
a) 'Bout time some of them got a job.
b) Polls can show anything the originator wants them to show.
c) I wouldn't encouraged mine to enlist.

I have no problem with the SS and the Draft being abolished; however, if there is a need for a draft, it should be reinstated. ....Females as well as males..........with no deferments.
Won't happen. I bet my life on it.

LovingTongue said:
Won't happen. I bet my life on it.
Probably won't.

But if there is a need, and it can't be filled through volunteers, then there has to be a plan.

I wouldn't mind seeing some type of mandatory National Service--say two years--for everyone. That doesn't mean military.

LovingTongue said:
Please. In a global conflict they'll have too many resources thrown at weeding out some of the throngs of volunteers to divert towards a draft of what few won't sign up.

That wasn't the case in 1942, after the mad rush to the recruiting offices in December of 1941 slowed down.

Regardless of how patriotic most Americans are, there will always be some who want to sit it out for one or another reason.

As a retired military officer and the dad of a currently serving soldier, I hope we never see the day when we need a draft. But, it would be naive to believe we will never need a draft again at any time in our future.

None abhors war more than a soldier (or airman, marine or sailor) who's been there. But, then, no one else better knows the need to maintain constant vigilence and readiness to defend our freedoms and our way of life.

So, for that reason alone, we must continue to have young men register for a draft that we all hope never happens. Better to know where they are and how to call the to service than not to know.

midwestscribe said:
So, for that reason alone, we must continue to have young men register for a draft that we all hope never happens. Better to know where they are and how to call the to service than not to know.
What about women?

midwestscribe said:
That wasn't the case in 1942, after the mad rush to the recruiting offices in December of 1941 slowed down.

Regardless of how patriotic most Americans are, there will always be some who want to sit it out for one or another reason.

As a retired military officer and the dad of a currently serving soldier, I hope we never see the day when we need a draft. But, it would be naive to believe we will never need a draft again at any time in our future.

None abhors war more than a soldier (or airman, marine or sailor) who's been there. But, then, no one else better knows the need to maintain constant vigilence and readiness to defend our freedoms and our way of life.

Irrelevant. Our politicians would never risk their necks and draft again.

It's time we passed a Constitutional amendment declaring that the lives of men are equally as important as that of women - namely, to abolish the draft and the selective service, and lay this crap to rest.

The persistence of the draft supporting minority demands an Amendment.

MakersandIce said:
Probably won't.

But if there is a need, and it can't be filled through volunteers, then there has to be a plan.

I wouldn't mind seeing some type of mandatory National Service--say two years--for everyone. That doesn't mean military.

There are many who agree with you about two years of mandatory service.

However, in a previous post, you said "no deferments". Yet, that could be detrimental to the national good. But, if we could devise some sort of "in place" service, your idea might work. Some young people are actually doing important jobs in the private sector and drafting them could leave large gaps in the workforce that might not be filled.

And, you're right, national service could also be done in some civilian-type job. But, jobs supporting the war effort should be filled before we "make work" for national service inductees. All sorts of paperwork jobs could be filled by civilian inductees, working in military facility dining halls and the like, repairing vehicles in stateside motor pools, etc. All of those sorts of jobs would free up able-bodied GIs to fight the war. Jobs like working for state or local social services wouldn't do much to win a war.

MakersandIce said:
What about women?
Most draft supporters consider women's lives more important than men's.

On the insanely improbably chance that they could muster a draft even in the event of an alien invasion, I've got a daughter.

If God is willing, I will game the system and my kids will never be forced into servitude - their gender will provide priviledge! :nana:

LovingTongue said:
Most draft supporters consider women's lives more important than men's.
Not I.

I don't believe a woman should be on front-line combat, but she should have to serve in some capacity.

LovingTongue said:
Irrelevant. Our politicians would never risk their necks and draft again.

It's time we passed a Constitutional amendment declaring that the lives of men are equally as important as that of women - namely, to abolish the draft and the selective service, and lay this crap to rest.

The persistence of the draft supporting minority demands an Amendment.

LOL!

We could just as easily pass an Amendment that drafts men AND women.

That would certainly make a statement that men's and women's lives are certainly equal.

And, should we ever get to the point where we need the draft again, the politicians won't be risking their necks at all. In fact, they'll issue the call up due to popular demand.

It may surprise you to know that one politician has been calling for the draft for about four years now. He's very much a liberal, too. It's Charlie Rangel (D-NY). He was an infantryman in the Korean War.

midwestscribe said:
LOL!

We could just as easily pass an Amendment that drafts men AND women.
You don't have anything close to the numbers to push that through. :)

That would certainly make a statement that men's and women's lives are certainly equal.

And, should we ever get to the point where we need the draft again, the politicians won't be risking their necks at all. In fact, they'll issue the call up due to popular demand.

It may surprise you to know that one politician has been calling for the draft for about four years now. He's very much a liberal, too. It's Charlie Rangel (D-NY). He was an infantryman in the Korean War.
That's one. I can see that and raise you a Ronald Reagan who said the draft was an abridgement of our freedoms. :)

LovingTongue said:
You don't have anything close to the numbers to push that through. :)

Probably about the same number of votes you'd muster for abolishing the draft altogether.

LovingTongue said:
That's one. I can see that and raise you a Ronald Reagan who said the draft was an abridgement of our freedoms. :)

I've fairly much a fan of Mr. Reagan, one of our greatest presidents. But, I'm not familiar with him saying that. Perhaps you could provide a source?

But, even if you can't, the thread is about "Is The Draft Coming Back".

The fact is, though, the draft has never gone away completely. The Selective Service laws require all young men to register on their 18th birthday. So, while we're not calling anyone up right now, the draft is very much still alive, it's just not active.

You seem quite the scrapper. You'd probably do well in uniform, if you could abide the discipline. It might be a good place to release what seems to be a lot of anger and frustration on your part. Uncle Sam needs folks who aren't afraid to open up a can of whip ass on the enemy.

midwestscribe said:
Probably about the same number of votes you'd muster for abolishing the draft altogether.
Actually, I bet I could get fourfold your count if the issue were pushed. :)

I've fairly much a fan of Mr. Reagan, one of our greatest presidents. But, I'm not familiar with him saying that. Perhaps you could provide a source?
From the noted Libertarian Congressman Ron Paul's website, here ya go.
http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2004/pr061004.htm

But, even if you can't, the thread is about "Is The Draft Coming Back".

The fact is, though, the draft has never gone away completely. The Selective Service laws require all young men to register on their 18th birthday. So, while we're not calling anyone up right now, the draft is very much still alive, it's just not active.

You seem quite the scrapper. You'd probably do well in uniform, if you could abide the discipline. It might be a good place to release what seems to be a lot of anger and frustration on your part. Uncle Sam needs folks who aren't afraid to open up a can of whip ass on the enemy.
Sorry, but I don't desire to put myself under any more authority than I have to deal with now. I value my free will.

The military is the devil itself, and I mean all militaries around the world. They experiment on people, they rape and kill civilians, kidnap innocent families to force suspects to talk, they imprison people without cause, torture people, and give soldiers orders to do utterly insane things. Soldiers get raped and sexually assaulted by their own, soldiers get left behind and abandoned in prisoner of war camps, soldiers get wounded and then handed the medical bill for their care, their benefits get cut, and they invade countries for reasons having nothing to do with the nation's defense.

Thanks but no thanks. There's a reason why most parents now discourage their kids from the military: the military has a horrible rep in the United States and many other nations have it even worse.

LovingTongue said:
I have five sources to back me up and you have none.

My credibility is perfect and it is unassailable.

Five sources against none, dude.

Five versus ZERO.

Can you count???

LOL!!! :D

This is like arguing with someone that the sky is blue or water is wet. I don't need to argue with you because I know I am right!

Here you go, from the Navy's own website!

:D

edited because maybe LT and I were arguing over symantics. If however he disputed that the Marines are part of the Navy heirarchy then he is flat out wrong as shown above.

Last edited:
Back