The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Hoildays 2018 Support Thread

No pill, but maybe a cock strap.

Ice, an ice bucket and a good sense of humor. Alternatively a rap to the tip with a hard metal object (smooth not sharp). I find waving something sharp near the erect object works well to repress the urgency.....uh oh, I don’t think I’m seeing this in quite the same context as you guys :D

My other Winter Holiday possibles seem to have stalled semi-permanently. My Muses have moved on and are looking at Valentine stories - start seven weeks or so from now.

I got bombed! I'm surprised it took so long. I knew the story would push buttons -- some good, some bad.

My story is pending.

Anyone else noticed how the info post on the contest says to put in the Notes-field "Winter Holidays Contest 2018" and a little bit later "Winter Holidays 2018" in the same post? Which one did you put in? Just wondering if both of them work or if one works better than the other.

Use "Winter Holidays Contest 2018". That's the form it has followed for years now. The other must be a typo.

My story is pending.

Anyone else noticed how the info post on the contest says to put in the Notes-field "Winter Holidays Contest 2018" and a little bit later "Winter Holidays 2018" in the same post? Which one did you put in? Just wondering if both of them work or if one works better than the other.

===============

Didn't quite make my 1k votes in 24 hours. At the rate it's going, it might make it there in 48. Blew past 2k followers quickly, though.

I knew 1k/24 would be a stretch with a story this bloody long. I'll take 48, if it makes it.

I got bombed! I'm surprised it took so long.

The interesting thing about the bombers is their overweening arrogance. Here's what the mass of readers here think of this story. Wow - that's no good! Let me fix it, let me shove the score down towards where they would have put it had they been smarter.

The interesting thing about the bombers is their overweening arrogance. Here's what the mass of readers here think of this story. Wow - that's no good! Let me fix it, let me shove the score down towards where they would have put it had they been smarter.

Maybe, if they even look at the score before they vote.

I deleted a comment that showed a similar pattern. At least half the comments mention that the story is well-written, but Mr. Anon decided that I didn't know how to write English. Everyone has a right to an opinion, but they don't have a right to use my soapbox to express it. The comment included an ethnic slur, so it's gone.

I have one more (15,000 words) that will post tomorrow. Inspired by last weekend's quick trip to Asheville for Christmas at the Biltmore.

I have one more (15,000 words) that will post tomorrow. Inspired by last weekend's quick trip to Asheville for Christmas at the Biltmore.

You were on a roll with this one. I’m going to try for one tonite but I’m not so hopeful.

You were on a roll with this one. I’m going to try for one tonite but I’m not so hopeful.

Yep. I'll get a 50,000-word plus Christmas anthology out of this contest to be published to the marketplace for the next Christmas season. Doesn't matter much how the voting goes in the contest. The first vote on all of mine so far in this contest has been a 1, delivered right after the story posts--so someone is on his/her toes and is watching.

The new story was interesting, arising from snatches of a discussion among eight men around at table at a really neat used book store/champagne bar in Asheville's Grove Arcade, the Battery Park Book Exchange. You never know when some chance thing is going to trip off a story theme/plot.

Well, my western story went up sometime last night. I took a look at it this morning and have to admit I am disappointed in myself :( I guess I felt rushed to get it submitted because in the first 4 or 5 pages I stumbled over about half a dozen missed typos...I'm sure I will find more in the remaining pages (foolishly, I didn't have my usual 'beta reader' look at it before I submitted it...lesson learned! ). The site editor moved it to Gay Male, which probably means the intimate sexual imagery I put in thinking it would be in the Romance category, will probably fall short of what's expected in Gay Male :confused:

On the bright side; I think it's my best story posted here (and my longest at +/- 28k words)...I'll edit the typos when I have the time...it may in the long run do better in Gay Male...:)

I have to admire you guys (and gals) who can push out 50k like it's just another day of fun!

I guess I felt rushed to get it submitted because in the first 4 or 5 pages I stumbled over about half a dozen missed typos...

I've been using Grammarly since I saw recommendations for it in AH. It always catches mistakes, no matter how many times I or a beta reader have been through it, so not a bad thing to have in your toolkit. Just paste your story in and let it generate a list of things to fix.

I've been using Grammarly since I saw recommendations for it in AH. It always catches mistakes, no matter how many times I or a beta reader have been through it, so not a bad thing to have in your toolkit. Just paste your story in and let it generate a list of things to fix.

I'll have to take a look. It was my understanding that Grammarly also indicates word usage (e.g. grammar). I often write in a slang in dialogue, so didn't think it would be helpful. I did read in another thread about a 'text-to-audio' which might prove useful. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at Grammarly in ore detail. To be honest, I usually get them pretty clean...I think I was just tiered of it and feeling pressed to get it submitted...my bad:(

I guess I felt rushed to get it submitted because in the first 4 or 5 pages I stumbled over about half a dozen missed typos...I'm sure I will find more in the remaining pages (foolishly, I didn't have my usual 'beta reader' look at it before I submitted it...lesson learned! )
That's you and Kant, both, been caught recently by premature submission. When will you young gentlemen learn, never rush to the finish? It's always unsightly, a little embarassing, and means more laundry work later on :).

Here's the link to Yukon's story (I should do something useful, while taking the piss):

https://www.literotica.com/s/secret-canyon

Grammarly is sort of like getting a volunteer editor here. It's a good idea to the extent that you know enough about writing to know when they are helpful and when they aren't. Grammarly can leach your stories of your own voice and make the work read like an appliance manual unless you know when to take its advice and when not to. And volunteer editors more often than not don't know any more about writing and grammar than you do and are mostly useful as a second pair of eyes for identifying a surface level of issues you just didn't see when you wrote it because you are too close to "knowing" what you meant to write, but didn't.

Grammarly is sort of like getting a volunteer editor here. It's a good idea to the extent that you know enough about writing to know when they are helpful and when they aren't. Grammarly can leach your stories of your own voice and make the work read like an appliance manual unless you know when to take its advice and when not to. And volunteer editors more often than not don't know any more about writing and grammar than you do and are mostly useful as a second pair of eyes for identifying a surface level of issues you just didn't see when you wrote it because you are too close to "knowing" what you meant to write, but didn't.

That "leaching" is pretty much what I'm concerned about...that and just having to fight the program too much. I think the 'soundtrack' of the movie playing in my head is even stronger when I'm trying for some type of slang dialogue and this kind of 'western feel'. In this last edit/review, I tried to read it in a more robotic monotone whisper without any accent and it helped quite a bit. I usually do okay, but as has been noted...haste makes more laundry later :eek:

On a brighter note: I "think" I have it all cleaned up...just need to have my beta-reader take a look because I am really, really tired of reading about those dayum cowboys right about now :rolleyes:

I already left my own comment of thanks and apology at the end the story for any who made it to that far...with a promised edit.

So, I want to submit an edit but could use some input on a couple of questions since this is my first edit;

As I understand it:
1. Title on edit exactly the same with the word edit in there. Is it; Secret Canyon Edit....Secret Canyon EDIT...Secret Canyon [edit] or ???

2. Put a note in the 'notes field' saying it's an 'edit for typos', etc.

3. Also, I had some italicized introduction sentences at the breaks in the rtf. file I copy/pasted into the Lit story submission section. It did not transfer into the final version. I'm thinking I need to put the words inside brackets [] that have I first and /I at the end of the sentence ?

1. Title on edit exactly the same with the word edit in there. Is it; Secret Canyon Edit....Secret Canyon EDIT...Secret Canyon [edit] or ???

2. Put a note in the 'notes field' saying it's an 'edit for typos', etc.

3. Also, I had some italicized introduction sentences at the breaks in the rtf. file I copy/pasted into the Lit story submission section. It did not transfer into the final version. I'm thinking I need to put the words inside brackets [] that have I first and /I at the end of the sentence ?
1. Secret Canyon EDIT.
2. Yes, put in a Note to the Editor.
3.<i>italics</i> Laurel usually catches html and does the conversion, but I've had one chapter of a longer thing and my last submission where the html italics were missed. I'd include in the Note that you have italics html, as a heads-up for Laurel.

That's you and Kant, both, been caught recently by premature submission. When will you young gentlemen learn, never rush to the finish? It's always unsightly, a little embarassing, and means more laundry work later on :).

Here's the link to Yukon's story (I should do something useful, while taking the piss):

https://www.literotica.com/s/secret-canyon

And I always thought you seemed such a nice person :D Could 'ave waited for the edit mate. Now all these blokes is gonna race over there to see me underpants flapp'n in the breeze :eek: But I forgive ya', what with noticing I'm a young gentleman, and all :)

1. Secret Canyon EDIT.
2. Yes, put in a Note to the Editor.
3.<i>italics</i> Laurel usually catches html and does the conversion, but I've had one chapter of a longer thing and my last submission where the html italics were missed. I'd include in the Note that you have italics html, as a heads-up for Laurel.

Thank you :heart: I figured I'd have to wait until tomorrow to get an answer on that. You are fully pardoned for your previous infraction :D

It's now officially too late. I can wait till next year. Whew.

It's now officially too late. I can wait till next year. Whew.

You and me both. Nowhere near finishing, but I’m going to submit “Christmas Present” just before Xmas instead. I was working away on it last night and just about went to sleep on my laptop and looked at it and went "no way I'm finishing tonight" so I went to bed instead. C'est la vie.

Congratulations to everyone that got one (or several, hey KeithD), in. Good luck with views, comments and scores :rose::rose::rose:

Last edited:
Back