Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handley, I figured one of the nautical guys on board would have something to say about the orlop deck. Thanks for being the one. I just thought of a great title for an erotica book, The Naughty Nauticals. Could be great fun!

Orleanist - noun a supporter of the Orleans family in its claim to the throne of France by descent from a younger brother of Louis XIV
 
orlop deck - noun the deck below the lower deck

The headroom was even more restricted than other decks:

0210smfauxpont6__002530100_1207_24022010.jpg
 
Og, was the orlop deck used for storage of crates, barrels and the like, other than human accommodations, I mean?

orison - noun PRAYER
 
Og, was the orlop deck used for storage of crates, barrels and the like, other than human accommodations, I mean?

...

It depended on the ship. On smaller ships such as frigates it was the living quarters for some of the crew, because there was only the gun deck above and the open main deck on top. The crew would sleep in hammocks slung above the stores etc.

The number of people on an 18th and early 19th Century warship was amazing for their size. The sailors were crammed in everywhere, and the stores they needed for long voyages took up most of the sheltered spaces.

The orlop deck I linked to is larger and higher than many. Some orlop decks were little more than crawl spaces - but still housed stores and crew.
 
I am amazed, Og, at the living arrangements on board. I suppose the sailors worked in shifts, so everyone would not need a bed at the same time. As long as claustrophobia was not a problem, a tight place can be rather comforting. I can't imagine anyone with fear of enclosed places wanting to be a sailor, but not all sailors were voluntary, as in the shanghaied ones.

orignum - noun any of various fragrant aromatic plants of the mint or vervain families used as seasonings
 
Og, was the orlop deck used for storage of crates, barrels and the like, other than human accommodations, I mean?

orison - noun PRAYER

I think it goes a bit further than that.
It's as much the action of praying, and also an oration (a speech).
 
That makes sense, Handley, considering the root is Latin for oration. Thanks for the clarification.

oriflamme - noun 1. a banner, symbol, or ideal inspiring devotion or courage 2. something suggestive of a brightly covered banner
 
That makes sense, Handley, considering the root is Latin for oration. Thanks for the clarification.

oriflamme -
noun 1. a banner, symbol, or ideal inspiring devotion or courage
2. something suggestive of a brightly covered banner

[1] I fear that definition does not go far enough.
The oriflamme was the old (medieval) battle standard of France: (Actually the
banner of St Dennis, patron saint of Paris (or should that be France?).
It was the rallying point, the symbol of and focal point of French passion.
It would inspire the troops to extra effort in a battle.
To say 'a banner, symbol, or ideal inspiring devotion or courage' is like saying that the American Flag is just another banner.
 
Thanks, again, Handley, for adding to my meager dictionary's definition. I love the sound of the word and will do a little more research into its origins.

orientate - vt ORIENT ~ vi: to face or turn to the east
 
Thanks, again, Handley, for adding to my meager dictionary's definition. I love the sound of the word and will do a little more research into its origins.

orientate - vt ORIENT ~ vi: to face or turn to the east

Originally, yes. Christian Churches in Europe were Orientated - the altar at the East end. So were Christian burials - the head of the body to the East, as opposed to Pagan burials that were often head to the North.

But now it has been extended to mean 'find your bearings' perhaps with a compass. To establish where you are and in which direction you are facing. To find your location on a map. And the word orientate led to the name of the sport Orienteering.
 
Og, it is funny how a word like Orient, meaning the East, can end up being the verb to find one's bearings. Word usage fascinates me to no end.

oriel - noun a large bay window projecting from a wall and supported by a corbel or bracket
 
Let's get orientated...

But now [orientate] has been extended to mean 'find your bearings' perhaps with a compass. To establish where you are and in which direction you are facing. To find your location on a map. And the word orientate led to the name of the sport Orienteering.

Well, yes. But in that meaning, it is a word primarily for those who find that the word orient has too few syllables. Using orientate is somewhat like using preventative instead of preventive, or wastage in place of waste.

There are other examples; these came easily to mind. See Fowler's article on Long Variants. I agree with him that, in general, when there are two English words of the same meaning, the shorter is the better. "Those who run to long words are mainly the unskilful & tasteless...". (Fowler's original spelling.)
 
I am amazed, Og, at the living arrangements on board. I suppose the sailors worked in shifts, so everyone would not need a bed at the same time.

Just so. And, often, they used the same beds (or, in the case of Nelson's navy, hammocks) in shifts—or, as they are called at sea, "watches". The word refers to a four- (or two-) hour time period, and also to the men assigned to one of two shifts of sailors—who serve alternate watches.

It is probably still so. It was certainly so not long ago. Several years ago, I went aboard the Midway (formerly the USS Midway), a WWII vintage aircraft carrier which joined the US Fleet just before the end of that war but so near the end that she never saw action in that war. She is now (as of 2004) permanently docked in San Diego, CA, where she has become the USS Midway Museum. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBRlLqTl6zM

Among the things I saw when I was aboard her were bunks scattered throughout the ship where sailors slept, often in shifts.
 
Last edited:
Carlus, thank you for the information on Long Variants and sailors' sleeping arrangements. If I am ever in San Diego, I will check out that museum. I have been aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach. We had our 10th High School Reunion there in one of the Ballrooms. What a magnificent ship.

I had to post this one;

orgy - noun 1. secret ceremonial rites held in honor of an ancient Greek or Roman deity and usually characterized by ecstatic singing and dancing 2. drunken revelry 3. an excessive indulgence in an activity

No real reference to unbridled sex here, though.
 
Welcome, Maverick51, and thanks for posting. Just so you know, this is a backwards thread. It started at Z and is working its way to A. We are currently in the Os, but posting in order matters not. Any word, anytime, is my motto.

orgulous - adj PROUD, HAUGHTY
 
Carlus, thank you for the information on Long Variants and sailors' sleeping arrangements. If I am ever in San Diego, I will check out that museum. I have been aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach. We had our 10th High School Reunion there in one of the Ballrooms. What a magnificent ship.

I had to post this one;

orgy - noun 1. secret ceremonial rites held in honor of an ancient Greek or Roman deity and usually characterized by ecstatic singing and dancing 2. drunken revelry 3. an excessive indulgence in an activity

No real reference to unbridled sex here, though.

Orgiastic

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of an orgy. 2. Arousing or causing unrestrained emotion; frenzied.
 
Welcome, FinishTheDamnStory, and thanks for posting that one and saving me the effort.

orgreat - noun a sweet almond-flavored non-alcoholic syrup used as a cocktail ingredient or food flavoring
 
Hoplology/Hoplologist

Hoplology is a science that studies human combative behavior and performance. The word hoplology is derived from the Greek terms hoplos (a mythical plate-armored animal) and hoplite, the term for the classical Greek warrior. The field originates in the 19th century with the explorer and linguist Sir Richard Burton; although the origin of the word is often attributed to Burton, there are earlier references to it.
 
Very nice word, Harold, thanks for sharing it. I love words with lots of history.

organum - noun 1. ORGANON 2. early polyphony of the late Middle Ages; also: a composition in this style
 
Very nice word, Harold, thanks for sharing it. I love words with lots of history.

organum - noun 1. ORGANON 2. early polyphony of the late Middle Ages; also: a composition in this style

The most significant work using this word is

Francis Bacon Novum Organum

The Novum Organum, full original title Novum Organum Scientiarum, is a philosophical work by Francis Bacon, written in Latin and published in 1620. The title translates as new instrument, i.e. new instrument of science. This is a reference to Aristotle's work Organon, which was his treatise on logic and syllogism. In Novum Organum, Bacon details a new system of logic he believes to be superior to the old ways of syllogism. This is now known as the Baconian method.
 
Og, I knew I had seen that word before and you have guessed exactly where that was. I am fascinated by Sir Francis Bacon, his life, and his literary works.

I might as well post this one, too;

organon - noun an instrument for acquiring knowledge; specif: a body of principles of scientific or philosophic investigation
 
It's Friday already. That was fast. This word is a new one for me;

ordure - noun 1. EXCREMENT 2. something morally degrading or depraving
 
A pleasant Sunday to you, all.

Ordovician - adj of, relating to, or being the period between the Cambrian and Silurian or the corresponding system of rocks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top